Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)


boo2202

Recommended Posts

This comment will get buried in this thread, but I wanted out for the record.  Another post in another thread suggested that Luck mentally checked out during the KC game.  I never wanted to say that, but I remember thinking the exact same thing at the time.  He looked less engaged than usual during that game.  Almost a sense of hopelessness.

 

I don't think Luck was ever really up to being the focus of the team.  I think he reluctantly did it because it was his job, and did it well enough, but I think that role is inconsistent with his natural personality.  In contrast to someone Like PM, who relishes that role.

 

And now we have KC and Mahomes to fight through to get to the SB.  Whenever anybody plays KC, its going to turn into a shoot out.  How much MORE will the success of the team fall onto the opponents' QB's shoulders.  Some people simply have their breaking point as to how much responsibility they can....or want...to take on.

 

Luck ran a power run play action passing game college in college.  Jim Harbaugh was the leader and face of that team, not Luck.  In the NFL, the QB has that role, not the coach.

 

I think Luck enjoys scrambling for first downs and TDs.  Likes blasting the DB after an interception.  He likes football, but Luck would probably be more comfortable playing QB in the 1970's NFL where the success of the team, season, coaching staff, fan base, and stadium financing does not depend upon what the QB does with the ball every snap. 

 

Now he sees Mahomes and what it will take to win it all, and sees the part of the job he never liked that much being even more of the focus of his job in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I have processed it a bit I will say this was a fear in the back of my mind.  Luck was never a guy who felt like he needed football.  He can do whatever he wants with his life now, maybe go become an architect.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This comment will get buried in this thread, but I wanted out for the record.  Another post in another thread suggested that Luck mentally checked out during the KC game.  I never wanted to say that, but I remember thinking the exact same thing at the time.  He looked less engaged than usual during that game.  Almost a sense of hopelessness.

 

I don't think Luck was ever really up to being the focus of the team.  I think he reluctantly did it because it was his job, and did it well enough, but I think that role is inconsistent with his natural personality.  In contrast to someone Like PM, who relishes that role.

 

And now we have KC and Mahomes to fight through to get to the SB.  Whenever anybody plays KC, its going to turn into a shoot out.  How much MORE will the success of the team fall onto the opponents' QB's shoulders.  Some people simply have their breaking point as to how much responsibility they can....or want...to take on.

 

Luck ran a power run play action passing game college in college.  Jim Harbaugh was the leader and face of that team, not Luck.  In the NFL, the QB has that role, not the coach.

 

I think Luck enjoys scrambling for first downs and TDs.  Likes blasting the DB after an interception.  He likes football, but Luck would probably be more comfortable playing QB in the 1970's NFL. 

 

Now he sees Mahomes and what it will take to win it all, and sees the part of the job he never liked that much being even more of the focus of his job in the future.

Probably mayfield too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Shefter is classless. But it does make you wonder why this wasn’t announced Friday. It was going to get out. Shefter though should of had some respect for Luck.

 

 

Shef being classless is nothing new.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This comment will get buried in this thread, but I wanted out for the record.  Another post in another thread suggested that Luck mentally checked out during the KC game.  I never wanted to say that, but I remember thinking the exact same thing at the time.  He looked less engaged than usual during that game.  Almost a sense of hopelessness.

 

I don't think Luck was ever really up to being the focus of the team.  I think he reluctantly did it because it was his job, and did it well enough, but I think that role is inconsistent with his natural personality.  In contrast to someone Like PM, who relishes that role.

 

And now we have KC and Mahomes to fight through to get to the SB.  Whenever anybody plays KC, its going to turn into a shoot out.  How much MORE will the success of the team fall onto the opponents' QB's shoulders.  Some people simply have their breaking point as to how much responsibility they can....or want...to take on.

 

Luck ran a power run play action passing game college in college.  Jim Harbaugh was the leader and face of that team, not Luck.  In the NFL, the QB has that role, not the coach.

 

I think Luck enjoys scrambling for first downs and TDs.  Likes blasting the DB after an interception.  He likes football, but Luck would probably be more comfortable playing QB in the 1970's NFL where the success of the team, season, coaching staff, fan base, and stadium financing does not depend upon what the QB does with the ball every snap. 

 

Now he sees Mahomes and what it will take to win it all, and sees the part of the job he never liked that much being even more of the focus of his job in the future.

 

Sad but I had the same feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Irsay should make the beer free the rest of the season after this, then again, that could make matters worse.

 

 

ps, go look at the Colts ticket market place if you wanna see how season ticket holders are taking it

I can imagine...it's devastating.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I don’t know what to say. After all the love and support the fans have shown him he blindsides us!? Not only us but his teammates, the coaching staff, and the organization. Totally unprofessional and I hope his memory is completely removed from Indy. 

:edit: Get Outta here...  It's the man's health mentally and physically. Would you take care of him if he was disabled by this game? Hell NO

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Restored said:

 

I can promise you that if the exact same situation happened with all 31 other teams, there would be some fans booing. It was just the timing of it that elicited those reactions. Not saying they are right or justified but I also understand why it happened.

I’d say 30.. I’m pretty sure Brady be chanted off the field but we are waiting for him to announce his retirement any time within the next couple years... but the rest I agree! 

 

Based off what luck said in the interview seems he is just done with all the pain.  It feels he retired for the same reason as Gronk.. the injuries just got to much for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Introspect said:

GTF Outta here...  It's the man's health mentally and physically. Would you take care of him if he was disabled by this game? Hell NO

He could have retired in March.    I'm sure the fans would have been far more understanding,  I know I would have been

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He could have retired in March.    I'm sure the fans would have been far more understanding,  I know I would have been

I’d been far more accepting if he hadn’t strung us along with lies and falsehoods the last month. You don’t lose “the love of the game” overnight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Shefter is classless. But it does make you wonder why this wasn’t announced Friday. It was going to get out. Shefter though should of had some respect for Luck.

 

 

 

What’s classless about what Schefter did?   It’s his job to break the news. Someone else would have broken the news if Schefter hadn’t. GMs, coaches, and players leak info to him all of the time to shape the narrative they want to get out. Occasionally info that they don’t want out there leaks as well.  It sounds more like the Colts mishandled this situation. If the decision was made on Friday then the press conference should have been had then. They left Luck out on the sideline looking like a fool not knowing the news had broken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He could have retired in March.    I'm sure the fans would have been far more understanding,  I know I would have been

Listen to his press conference it has only happened the last couple of weeks after he got injured AGAIN and still not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JimJaime said:

Listen to his press conference it has only happened the last couple of weeks after he got injured AGAIN and still not better.

It's football.   He knew he was going to have injuries.   I highly doubt this latest leg injury was the coup de grace for his career.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d been far more accepting if he hadn’t strung us along with lies and falsehoods the last month. You don’t lose “the love of the game” overnight.

I understand, especially when he had no injuries post-season, how did this even happen?  I get the sense it was non-football and like the snow-boarding accident he wants to be able to live his life unconstrained.  I do think he feels the weight of the role but perhaps miscalculated on how much people understood. There's more to this story I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rally5 said:

I understand, especially when he had no injuries post-season, how did this even happen?  I get the sense it was non-football and like the snow-boarding accident he want to be able to live his life unconstrained.  I do think he feels the weight of the role but perhaps miscalculated on how much people understood. There's more to this story I believe.

I agree.  There’s definitely more to this than the “love of the game”

Link to post
Share on other sites

All that said I probably won't be around here much.  I will probably only be following the Colts in the standings and not really watching games.  Not going to be a fan of another NFL team or anything but I just have much better things to do with my time then watch a team that is bad as I can take Joy from trips to the zoo with my kids but no joy out of watching my team lose games.

 

Will probably check back in when and if the Colts draft a QB in the 2020 draft.

 

Can't say I won't be here at all but 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He could have retired in March.    I'm sure the fans would have been far more understanding,  I know I would have been

I don't buy this. Not for a second. Luck retiring after he had seemingly good healthy season and the Colts being on the verge of contention, was never going to be taken well by the fanbase. There is no world where people wouldn't feel angry, betrayed, frustrated, shell-shocked, etc... not if he did the the day after the KC game, not if he did it in March, not in July and not now. It doesn't matter when he did it and it quite honestly doesn't matter in the big picture. Whenever he did it, IMO nothing would have changed. Ballard and Reich still would have wanted to give Jacoby a shot and the QB class this year wasn't great either. 

 

He tried to get back, just his body wouldn't cooperate. IMO him not even trying would have been worse. FAR worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d been far more accepting if he hadn’t strung us along with lies and falsehoods the last month. You don’t lose “the love of the game” overnight.

 

No matter when he announced this, you would have been upset. Robert Smith, RB for the Vikings, announced his retirement right at the end of the best season of his career. Fans were angry, not understanding why he would quit at that moment. Same when Barry Sanders retired. These guys have their reasons and they don't have to tell others why. 

 

Fans don't seem to understand that football players are human beings and they are not that different from us. Playing the game, having special talents, or making lots of money does not change that. They are still human. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

You're the only only one saying this. All of the "paid" folks had the Colts as favs.

If I guessed wrong, so did everyone else but you.

 

As far as other teams, every team has holes. Please feel free to back your silliness up with stats.

 

The only reason why we didn't win the AFC South last year was because we had musical chairs on the OL the first half of the season, our lead RB out early, and more musical chairs at WR the whole year. We addressed WR. Our OL was top 5 the last half of the season. Mack was top 5 the last half of the season. We beat the AFC champ on their on won field in the playoffs. 

 

Carry on your silliness.... but feel free to support your silliness with stats...

 

Again, dumbest post/thread of the year.

 

Here are the stats.  The Colts haven’t won the division in 5yrs. They will most likely miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 yrs. The only year they made the playoffs it took such an improbable run it had happened one other time in the history of the NFL.

 

 All these folks that are “paid” to talk said the Colts were the worst team in the league last year and now superbowl contenders this year....wrong both times so bringing them up is probably about the dumbest thing in this thread.

 

 The Colts weren’t great to begin with and were a key injury or two away from a losing record. Luck had a history of being unavailable....guess what?!? He is unavailable again.  Granted no one thought he would retire but I’ve doubted his health for a couple years and thought he was the next Chad Pennington. Both great players but couldn’t stay healthy. If any player on the line went down we were going to suffer mightily. If TY got banged up the WRs were going to be pedestrian, there was zero pass rush and Houston isn’t the answer. The schedule is absolutely brutal and probably the key reason this was a fringe playoff team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't buy this. Not for a second. Luck retiring after he had seemingly good healthy season and the Colts being on the verge of contention, was never going to be taken well by the fanbase. There is no world where people wouldn't feel angry, betrayed, frustrated, shell-shocked, etc... not if he did the the day after the KC game, not if he did it in March, not in July and not now. It doesn't matter when he did it and it quite honestly doesn't matter in the big picture. Whenever he did it, IMO nothing would have changed. Ballard and Reich still would have wanted to give Jacoby a shot and the QB class this year wasn't great either. 

 

He tried to get back, just his body wouldn't cooperate. IMO him not even trying would have been worse. FAR worse. 

So truedragons den yes GIF by CBC

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

All that said I probably won't be around here much.  I will probably only be following the Colts in the standings and not really watching games.  Not going to be a fan of another NFL team or anything but I just have much better things to do with my time then watch a team that is bad as I can take Joy from trips to the zoo with my kids but no joy out of watching my team lose games.

 

Will probably check back in when and if the Colts draft a QB in the 2020 draft.

 

Can't say I won't be here at all but 

Wow... I’m sure you won’t be the last. But still

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I finally figured out my password. Hello to all my old friends.

 

Firstly, I want to say thanks to Luck. He did everything he could for the team, and man does it suck he's leaving. It's understandable though. The frustration of unrelenting injury taxes like no other.

 

But however, I've said it then, say it now, and will always say it forever - March 7, 2012 is the biggest mistake the Colts franchise will have ever made. The franchise was always going to be better of lining up behind Manning. Because at the end of the day Luck lasted just 31 games more.

 

Unrelated PS: @Gramz :trout:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fx Stryker said:

Well I finally figured out my password. Hello to all my old friends.

 

Firstly, I want to say thanks to Luck. He did everything he could for the team, and man does it suck he's leaving. It's understandable though. The frustration of unrelenting injury taxes like no other.

 

But however, I've said it then, say it now, and will always say it forever - March 7, 2012 is the biggest mistake the Colts franchise will have ever made. The franchise was always going to be better of lining up behind Manning. Because at the end of the day Luck lasted just 31 games more.

 

Unrelated PS: @Gramz :trout:

Welcome back

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get it. Luck retired and I wish him the best. Even with Luck we were still a fringe playoff team. This team is full of holes and took a winning streak that was only done once in the modern era before to make the playoffs. We don’t have a legitimate answer at WR or RB.  The defense has zero pass rush, no online depth and were an injury or two away from an 8-8.  

 

This team needed built thru the draft and after one year of high picks we had potential. I’m excited what Ballard does with the future.  He will fill the holes and not force the main position of concern...qb.  It may take a couple of years but it will happen.  This is a blessing and we will have a great roster in time.  Be patient. 

:troll:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

 

Here are the stats.  The Colts haven’t won the division in 5yrs. They will most likely miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 yrs. The only year they made the playoffs it took such an improbable run it had happened one other time in the history of the NFL.

 

 

this was going to be the best colts team in the last decade.  previous division winners dont matter at all

 

they probably will miss the playoffs now because we dont have a good QB, with luck we would have been division favorite this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

No matter when he announced this, you would have been upset. Robert Smith, RB for the Vikings, announced his retirement after his best season of his career. Fans were angry, not understanding why he would quit at that moment. Same when Barry Sanders retired. These guys have their reasons and they don't have to tell others why. 

 

Fans don't seem to understand that football players are human beings and they are not that different from us. Playing the game, having special talents, or making lots of money does not change that. They are still human. 

Sometimes it beneficial to remember when they had to “retire” from something that was their life for years

 

   In the past 12 hours I have relieved my Senior year of football multiple times

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fx Stryker said:

Well I finally figured out my password. Hello to all my old friends.

 

Firstly, I want to say thanks to Luck. He did everything he could for the team, and man does it suck he's leaving. It's understandable though. The frustration of unrelenting injury taxes like no other.

 

But however, I've said it then, say it now, and will always say it forever - March 7, 2012 is the biggest mistake the Colts franchise will have ever made. The franchise was always going to be better of lining up behind Manning. Because at the end of the day Luck lasted just 31 games more.

 

Unrelated PS: @Gramz :trout:

Ahhh love ya FX.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yeah I am ok with it, it was probably time for Kyle to explore other avenues. He helped us win a WS so it is all good.
    • I will be wearing the blue TY Hilton jersey that I have.  I have 88, 18, 12, 13, 87 jerseys. I need 56, 53, 98, and 99.
    • That sucks I really liked Len, enjoyed his play by play for years. 
    • Do you think Bill Belichick has cornered the market on ideas?   Do you think he does not make mistakes?   BB made Dont’a Hightower one of the NFL ‘s highest paid players.  So, poof,  there goes your Leonard argument.  When players perform at a premium level you pay them what they’re worth.   Period.   You’re badly over-thinking this.   There is no perfect formula to a championship.   You think Ballard is not aware that when he pays a guard premium money that means he’ll be paying other positions less than premium.   He 100 percent knows that.     It’s always, Always, ALWAYS better to have too much talent than not enough.  Dallas has paid a fortune into its OL for years.   Smith, Martin, used to have Frederick at Center.  Used to have a good guard who left in FA, and then Collins who is now getting paid.   3 of their 5 getting top money and it used to be 4 before Frederick had to retire early.   They had a top 3 OL for years.   They figured out the rest of the roster.     They’re paying big money while a good number of younger players are on their cheaper rookie contracts.   That’s life for GM’s in the NFL.  Too much talent is always a good thing.    You never take a lesser player who plays a premium position over a much better player at a so-called non-premium position.   Never.   Do you think it’s a coincidence that the play of the Colts OL dramatically improved when Nelson joined the team?   Come on....   Sorry, but your logic is twisted beyond all recognition.     
    • Dang, four playoff spots up got grabs between six teams.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...