Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Here are the stats.  The Colts haven’t won the division in 5yrs. They will most likely miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 yrs. The only year they made the playoffs it took such an improbable run it had happened one other time in the history of the NFL.

All these folks that are “paid” to talk said the Colts were the worst team in the league last year and now superbowl contenders this year....wrong both times so bringing them up is probably about the dumbest thing in this thread.

The Colts weren’t great to begin with and were a key injury or two away from a losing record. Luck had a history of being unavailable....guess what?!? He is unavailable again.  Granted no one thought he would retire but I’ve doubted his health for a couple years and thought he was the next Chad Pennington. Both great players but couldn’t stay healthy. If any player on the line went down we were going to suffer mightily. If TY got banged up the WRs were going to be pedestrian, there was zero pass rush and Houston isn’t the answer. The schedule is absolutely brutal and probably the key reason this was a fringe playoff team. 

If you don't like the "paid" talking heads, then look at Vegas odds. The house rarely loses... 

I was stunned yesterday when I saw the Schefter tweet. Didn't think it was real or possible. Then within 5 minutes, it was spread on every football and news outlet. Kick in the gut. I'm still a bit stunned about it but you have to relate to Luck. Have you ever done something for such a long time and your heart just isn't in it anymore? Trust your gut and follow your heart and do what's best for you and your family. I hope Luck pops in every now and then because I want to know how he's doing a year+ from now. It's alright guys, we have a decent QB in Brissett and we will see how it goes. Go Colts!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

So enlightening.

Really detailed and in depth analysis.

Thank you.

You act this is some giant conspiracy theory of him just trying to screw us over and the fact is he has the the crap kicked out him for the last 7 years and he’s over it. He’s missed all this time because he hasn’t had a line protecting him for 6 out of his 7 season he’s had to rehab a shoulder for 2 years, come back from a lacerated kidney, and now this ankle issue that’s been bothering him for 3 months and hasn’t gotten any better. He’s had to rehab 4 off-seasons  in a row his body is telling him that his time is up. He’s 29 years old, just got married and has a baby on the way. He has his priorities straight he picked his family over football which is the way it should be. Now we can sit here a cry about it or move on and wish him the best. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

You act this is some giant conspiracy theory of him just trying to screw us over and the fact is he has the the crap kicked out him for the last 7 years and he’s over it. He’s missed all this time because he hasn’t had a line protecting him for 6 out of his 7 season he’s had to rehab a shoulder for 2 years, come back from a lacerated kidney, and now this ankle issue that’s been bothering him for 3 months and hasn’t gotten any better. He’s had to rehab 4 off-seasons  in a row his body is telling him that his time is up. He’s 29 years old, just got married and has a baby on the way. He has his priorities straight he picked his family over football which is the way it should be. Now we can sit here a cry about it or move on and wish him the best. 

It is a minor conspiracy imo.

There are now reports now coming out that they reached a settlement with him LAST WEEK.

The fact this was LAST WEEK says a lot about what has really been going on behind the scenes and I think it speaks loudly about why Frank was so dismissive of Luck working out in the warm ups last week- he was a Colt in name only by that time and I would say that's been the case for months as they worked out these terms.

Some of the best financial guys going right- top paid GM's, top paid agents, worked this out...this isn't some 3/4th string guy that breaks and arm prior to the season and he and the team strike some small injury settlement so he can have a little money in his pocket while searching out a possible team.

For a top 5 player in the league to basically reach an INJURY settlement LAST WEEK, this has to have been in the works for a long time. I doubt Lucks agent called up Ballard last Tuesday and said "give us $24 Mil and we'll just ride of into the sunset" and Ballard said "okkkkkk".... this has to be the result of a bunch of back and forth over some protracted period of time...

Again, to me, this looks like a long con by a con artist basically extorting his club for cash.

Luck has been planning this since the end of last season.  How is this not obvious?  Cmon.... a minor leg injury that lasts from early spring until now?

Rightttttttttttt.

Think of all the time and analysis that was spent on trying to figure out Luck's leg injury when it was all NOTHING but a plan to get out.

• Like 3

ANDREW LUCK, YOU ARE A WARRIOR AND AN ABSOLUTE CLASS ACT. Circumstances beyond your control forced you to make an untimely but wise decision, you have the love and support of a multitude of fans who are both angry and ashamed of the booing last night. 

Shame on whoever leaked the news, denying you the opportunity to make the announcement yourself. And thank you for a wonderful legacy, both professionally and personally.

Godspeed, brother

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

It is imo.

Reports now coming out that they reached a settlement with him LAST WEEK.

The fact this was LAST WEEK says a lot about what has really been going on behind the scenes and I think it speaks loudly about why Frank was so dismissive of Luckworking out in the warm ups last week- he was a Colt in name only by that time and I would say that's been the case for months as they worked out these terms.

Some of the best financial guys going right- top paid GM's, top paid agents, worked this out...this isn't some 3/4th string guy that breaks and arm prior to the season and he and the team strike some small injury settlement so he can have a little money in his pocket while searching out a possible team.

For a top 5 player in the league to basically reach an INJURY settlement LAST WEEK, this has to have been in the works for a long time. I doubt Lucks agent called up Ballard last Tuesday and said "give us $24 Mil and we'll just ride of into the sunset" and Ballard said "okkkkkk".... this has to be the result of a bunch of back and forth over some protracted period of time...

Again, to me, this looks like a long con by a con artist basically extorting his club for cash.

Luck has been planning this since the end of last season.  How is this not obvious?  Cmon.... minor a leg injury that lasts from early spring until now?

Rightttttttttttt.

Think of all the time and analysis that was spent on trying to figure out Luck's leg injury when it was all NOTHING but a plan to get out.

alex jones conspiracy GIF

dollar bill illuminati GIF 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I truly think he just reached the end of the line.  I can't do this any more moment. One thing is for sure it wasn't about money.   Like a Barry Sanders type situation. Give him a hand for what he accomplished and let's move on.

The timing was awful in more ways than one. Brady and the Pats may only have a season or two left in them, and even considering the competition from a few other AFC teams, it’s not a stretch to say that Luck had a high probability of winning a ring in the next couple of years. The jeers were a bit extreme, but from a fan’s standpoint, the setback in Super Bowl contention is what’s hardest to swallow. Well, that and the fact that the Pats Pulpit almost immediately tweeted something to the effect of “Luck retires with 0-6 record against New England.”

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

So about $80-85 M then?

Not bad considering the biggest chunk of that came after 2016 and he only played one season since.

It's 45M actually. 27M in '17 and 18M last season. He was paid 30M in 2016 but he did play that year.

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

I think not.

Pretty obvious that as soon as he signed that contract, his love of the game and will to compete flew out the window.

I said it the day he signed the contact.  I said he was not worth the money.  And the reason I said it wasn't because of his physical talent, but instead because to me, he just didn't seem like he would ever truly be a winner.  I always saw a guy who liked to be out there playing with the guys, but never one who had that undeniable will to win. 

I think this decision bears that theory out.

Yes I understand a lot of people won't like this, but lets face it, he signed it in the summer of 2016, didn't play in 2017, he himself said he considered retiring before last year 2018, plays one season, and now he actually does retire in 2019. 

Lots of people lose their will to excel when they get paid.  As much as I like Andrew, this all seems too coincidental to me. 

How much money is he going to collect for playing one season since the new contract?  I am not sure of the exact figures, but it has to be over $100 M.

For one season.  Think about that.

Doesn't  matter. Brissett  is the starter now. Let's rally  behind  him like the rams did kurt warner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He is getting paid this year as well in full, and some for next year.

Comes out to around $80 M I believe.

No, we have cap charge for this year and next, because that money has already been paid to Andrew (his signing bonus that he received in '16 and '17) and looks like Colts don't try to recoup it back.

I have nothing but respect for Luck. While I don't agree with the decision, it is his to make. Its just such a millennial decision. I have played on many teams in my lifetime, at no time would I have ever quit a week before the season. I would have told the Colts, Hey, I cant do this any longer, but in order to not * over, this will be my last year. It gives them options, its gives them time. Making this decision now hamstrings the Colts, and is why everyone is so * off.

I've been reading all of these reactions and yeah, we fans in other cities feel you you guys as a fanbase.  But some of this reaction is way over the top.

The Indianapolis Colts have been in a truly enviable position regarding QBs with both Luck and Manning before him.  You had a "suck for Luck" year between them and then you got Luck.  Most teams would have killed for that kind of talent over than period of time (20 years!).  The only truly unfortunate thing was that it happened during the Tom Brady era, or else you might would have had more than one ring.

Meanwhile in Nashville, we haven't had a sure thing since McNair was traded to the Ravens.  We had a similar situation four years ago with Jake Locker.  After four seasons hobbled by injuries, he said "screw this" and walked away from the game.  Some thought he might come back once he truly healed and for a couple of years teams tried to get him to come back in a #2 role, but no, he said he was done and to stop calling him.

Few of us have played at a high level like this, much less had to play through pain and injuries and spend so much time in rehab (I've had two achilles ruptures that I had to do surgery and rehab).  Most just do it.  But everyone has their limits.  And Luck found his.  And I cannot imagine it was an easy decision.  I'm sure that a few months back he was looking forward to the season playing healthy.  But once injury happened again, he thought long and hard about it.  The team, franchise and the fans vs his well being and his family.  And then there's his legacy.  Luck was well on his way to Canton and leaving early likely ends that quest.

Many of you cannot imagine walking away from the game at all, much less the timing.  The fame, the glory and especially the money.  But he already has a lot of money.  And there were apparently more important things in life than playing football.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This seems really out of character for Luck,  I'm guessing his pregnant wife had a major role in his decision to quit football,  happy wife happy life. 

I think Luck will regret his decision, he could have easily waited to see how things developed with his injury and then called it quits next year.

Really dont buy that he lost interest in playing the game. He doesn't have any social media. Doesnt have a second side career like these NBA guys do wishing they could be as good a rapper as they are at shooting a basketball. Luck seems like a very boring guy (i like it dont get me wrong) but over his entire career I cant honestly seem him being passionate about anything else other than football. 

I respect his decision to step away because his body is letting him down. 

59 minutes ago, K-148 said:

Basic logic rule: after that is NOT because of that. He took so much beating before 2016 and after 2016, so it's not like he thought about "money and quit" in 2016.

He got hurt doing none football activities. No one is questioning his talent. He just decide it was not that important to him.

He could have retired after last season. Doing it 2 week before the opener is put the team in a terrible position. 

Just came here to leave my "what the heck"...and that's it. Didn't see it coming...still going to be cheering for the colts but that was a punch in the gut for this team.

I'm sure he has his reasons...He was my favourite player, it was actually because of him that I started watching footbal, 'cause of the comeback he led in week 4 of 2012 against the Packers, first time I ever tuned in an Football game...

And now he is retiring...What can I do...I'm thankful for that comeback in 2012 'cause that was what got me into this wonderful game, and getting into this game made me learn english (even though I have a lot of progress to make haha), made me happy and sometimes sad...but again...What can I do...

I will just keep cheering for this team, smiling when we win, getting a little sad when we lose. 

I know this season feels lost and the future of the team feels uncertain...but I don't care, I follow this game for fun and that is what I'll keep having...

GO :colts: 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Before everyone chastises him, I'm sure this decision, did not come lightly, The injuries that he has had, plus his on going problem, I am sure he did not take lightly. It must have been hard to come to terms with his announcement., being the competitive  player he is.   Please  give the man the benefit of the doubt. He knows his body, and I know that if he could he would play, Now is not the time to throw stones at him, and call him a quitter . Show some compassion . Let him know how much you care. I know he's hurting, and feels bad about it, so show some sympathy , to the guy!  I wish Andrew Luck all well wishes in his endeavors outside of football. I want to thank him for his effort, he has shown, in the past,   We thank you Andrew for effort in trying to bring back the level of excellence we have had in the past. and wish you well in the future.    

Luck truly loved the game. Couldn't cheat it by playing for the quest for more money.  Decision wasn't easy but like when a relationship ends... You know when it's time to leave.

Thanks for entertaining us Andrew and bringing 100%

• Like 1

Amazing to me how the mods continue to allow personal attacks on this forum.  And I am not just talking about attacks against me.  I see it a lot against people who don't tow the Colts are the greatest party line.

Disagree with me all you want to about FOOTBALL.  Don't get personal.  It is just a game.

I never attack anyone personally regardless of how much I disagree with them.....about football.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

He just said he heard the boos & they hurt. 

Future Free Agents in the NFL heard it to.... Those fans last night damaged this franchise. Only mercenaries are coming here looking for a wad of cash. Not behavior of "family and high character".:thmdown:

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Seriously Luck brought a lot of this on himself. He wouldn't throw the ball away or held it to long. He many times refused to slide down instead of taking hits. The rules in the league protect a quarterback almost to a fault. This is mostly on Luck.

That’s revisionist history! Your O line sucked for years and had gotten Manning Killed before Luck was even drafted and until this year they did nothing to fix it!  I know it hurts for you guys but don’t make it sound like the colts front O didn’t do him an injustice for years! 

6 hours ago, JimJaime said:

I’d say 30.. I’m pretty sure Brady be chanted off the field but we are waiting for him to announce his retirement any time within the next couple years... but the rest I agree! 

Based off what luck said in the interview seems he is just done with all the pain.  It feels he retired for the same reason as Gronk.. the injuries just got to much for them.

Oh look, another Patriots fan with a Holier Than Thou attitude.