Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

18 hours ago, NFLfan said:

As a Stanford fan and a Luck fan, this makes me sad. Hope he changes his mind a year from now. 

I'm more certain than not it is a final decision.  He might help run the XFL...  but wants lots of wife/baby time too while healing up.  Then not get hurt anymore.

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why NOW?

What happened in the last week or 10 days ....?

Like many of his previous injuries, apparently not healing as projected, still in pain, still injury prone.

18 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Luck has been radio silent for a couple weeks.  It’s starting to seem like he told Irsay, CB, & Reich he was thinking about it.   Reich probably said we need an answer by the end of the 3rd preseason game.  Luck chose to quit.  Mind blowing. 

Bingo, and way back I predicted we would know the scoop right after the 3rd game depending upon Colts actions.  I expected he would tough it out and go at 85%, or not play until he was 100%. I never expected retirement, and it turns out it was a leak that caused Luck to make an impromptu retirement presser.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Amazing to me how the mods continue to allow personal attacks on this forum.  And I am not just talking about attacks against me.  I see it a lot against people who don't tow the Colts are the greatest party line.

Disagree with me all you want to about FOOTBALL.  Don't get personal.  It is just a game.

I never attack anyone personally regardless of how much I disagree with them.....about football.

We cannot be in all threads all of the time,  or even timely read them word for word. That is why we need you, the forum member, to help us and use the Report post button at the upper right hand window of a possible violation post.  Thank you.

(BTW I was only 1/2 way through thread, responded to others posts, then saw your post, but no report.  :(

I was very surprised to hear this news today. 

Whatever the ins and outs of the reasons, he needs to look after himself and his family. 

In every sport players come and go, some for good reasons and some not. 

If you support a team you get behind them regardless who is wearing the Jersey.

I hope whoever comes in next will get the support they deserve and I can't wait for the season to start again. 

I may be on the other side of the world but will be cheering the team on each week. 

Cmon the colts

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm more certain than not it is a final decision.  He might help run the XFL...  but wants lots of wife/baby time too while healing up.  Then not get hurt anymore.

I am too. I believe I wrote that post before I saw the press conference. After hearing him speak, he seemed like he was done. 

I believe that he has been considering this for a while but he loved the game and his teammates and chose to stick it out. I believe the front office was aware of his desires and asked him to reconsider. (It is just speculation.) With this injury problem not getting resolved and his having other priorities (married, child on the way), he chose to retire. He is a bright guy with lots of interests.  Football is not his life.

It is sad though. I felt a similar sadness when another Colt retired but from coaching -- Tony Dungy. Both guys are great for the game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

The thought process to say something like this has to be one of the most bizarre things ever. What does he owe you or anyone else? The man earned his money by doing his job.  He was good enough that he was able to earn millions. At the end of the day he stepped away from a game he didn't love anymore and was able to do it in one piece. Why slight him for that? 

I'm with you... Preach my man!

16 hours ago, threeflight said:

All I can say is I told you so.

Not trying to be an ***, but i told you so and i told you so. 

And I told you so.

Any normal QB getting $25 M a year would suck it up and play.  I told you his heart wasn't in it.  

You all called me an *.  Almost all of you.

What you say now?

I was feeling your posts... You knew the injury and the mindset.... 

Too many here didn't WANT to see the truth.:omg:

• Like 1

Here in Northwest Indiana, this whole situation reminds me a lot of another great player who unexpectedly decided to retire, right around the same age:  Michael Jordan.   And you know what happened, after a year and half, Jordan realized that he still had a love for the game.   I'm not saying that this will happen here.   But if in the Fall of 2021 we see a 32 year old Andrew Luck playing QB for the Colts again, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.  

46 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

I strained my calf today. Think l pull a Luck, check out and go on disability.

I strained my thumb yesterday.

Today I took two advil for it and some CBD.

But more importantly I am very tired and worn out from trying to rehab my right shoulder that I take pain killers for the past 15 years.

Can I have $25 M please?

Would be greatly appreciated.

Also,

Looking at the situation after coming down on from the emotions.

I truly think Luck would've announced he was retiring sooner, but I think the team asked him to wait and see if he changes his mind.?

IDK? Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We cannot be in all threads all of the time,  or even timely read them word for word. That is why we need you, the forum member, to help us and use the Report post button at the upper right hand window of a possible violation post.  Thank you.

(BTW I was only 1/2 way through thread, responded to others posts, then saw your post, but no report.  :(

Bro nothing against you. 

I actually really respect you on here and think you are a true asset to this site.

8 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Should have given it back to STH's who want to cancel.

I’m currently living closer to Indy (for college) than my usual home, so I was highly considering at the very least buying tickets for a couple of games, if not season tickets.

Glad I didn’t do that.

I feel for Luck, as I quit football in a similar fashion (too many concussions, actual brain damage, decided it wasn’t worth it) when I was in high school, but I also feel for STH. If JB and CK can’t get it done, that is a lot of money they lost. And most people in this state really can’t afford to lose that kind of money.

13 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Should have given it back to STH's who want to cancel.

It would be like me quitting my 9-5 job (I don't do that just saying) because I was worn out from having to work to hard taking clients out to lunch....and my boss feeling sorry for me and giving me a full years paycheck as result.

I mean.....wat???

57 minutes ago, Restored said:

Oh look, another Patriots fan with a Holier Than Thou attitude.

Huh? Because I believe Brady wouldn’t be booed? Umm not holier than thou just unlike Colt fans we are expecting it and wouldn’t be as surprised.. I mean how surprised can a fan base be when a 40+ old says he is retiring? 

14 minutes ago, Introspect said:

I was feeling your posts... You knew the injury and the mindset.... 

Too many here didn't WANT to see the truth.:omg:

Thanks bro.

I do appreciate that.

I love the Colts.  Honestly they probably bring more pure joy and an interest to my life than almost anything.

I hate seeing them do anything negative.  But one thing I am good at is reading people.  That is why I do well in the stock market game.  And I could tell a while ago that Luck was not into it anymore.  I know a lot of people here make fun of my analogies about the sports I play and the pain I go through, but it really is true.  I would play almost any sport, just to win, as long as I could walk.  It is just my nature and I got that from my dad who played pro baseball.

So when I see a guy like Luck, who has much more talent for football than I ever did?  I cringe at the wastefulness of it all.  If he had a brain like a JJ Watt or Edge?  He is probably the best QB to ever play the game.

Instead he is who he is.

A great talent.

Very good player.

But someone who could have been the best and just never lived up to it. 

A talent like his should not be wasted.

And it was.

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Also,

Looking at the situation after coming down on from the emotions.

I truly think Luck would've announced he was retiring sooner, but I think the team asked him to wait and see if he changes his mind.?

IDK? Just my opinion.

Yeah I was thinking the same.  I think if left to his own devices...he retires last winter.

Which...coming off of the AFC champ game....is almost impossible to believe.

I heard last night guys. I’m surprised at some of the negative reactions towards Luck personally. That’s towards Luck personally, not the situation itself. I don’t like this any more than you do but I respect and understand Luck.

He was already a darkhorse pick for a guy who might not play 100 years, or might bolt to another team. I think everybody has known for a while now that the Colts are ran every bit as bad as the mid2000s Bengals or 80s Buccs. Total dumpster fire. No offense guys but really. And they’ve tried to half * fix everything with Andrew Duck Tape. It hasn’t worked and it’s ruined him for football. He was probably going to get a staph infection and lose his leg next. And Colts doctors would have took the wrong leg the way they’ve been going.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hi-Tek said:

How nice of the Colts to give him a $25 million dollar parting gift. 

I could be wrong but I don’t think they did just to be nice.  If you listened to Irsay last night he sounds like a man who thinks Luck will be back.  Maybe that’s denial on his part but he’s the one who made that decision I assure you and I am betting he did it in hopes that Andrew will be back.

I want to be clear I am NOT saying I think he will be I am just giving you my opinion on what’s going on in Irsay’s mind and why he did that.

7 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I heard last night guys. I’m surprised at some of the negative reactions towards Luck personally. That’s towards Luck personally, not the situation itself. I don’t like this any more than you do but I respect and understand Luck.

He was already a darkhorse pick for a guy who might not play 100 years, or might bolt to another team. I think everybody has known for a while now that the Colts are ran every bit as bad as the mid2000s Bengals or 80s Buccs. Total dumpster fire. No offense guys but really. And they’ve tried to half * fix everything with Andrew Duck Tape. It hasn’t worked and it’s ruined him for football. He was probably going to get a staph infection and lose his leg next. And Colts doctors would have took the wrong leg the way they’ve been going.

thats excessive, but there have been a lot of mistakes for sure

Blame is squarely on Luck for several of the injuries.  he got hurt snow boarding, kidney injury was basically his fault, made a bad move.  ankle injury was also on him.  total dumpster fires dont win that many games  

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

Amazing to me how the mods continue to allow personal attacks on this forum.  And I am not just talking about attacks against me.  I see it a lot against people who don't tow the Colts are the greatest party line.

Disagree with me all you want to about FOOTBALL.  Don't get personal.  It is just a game.

I never attack anyone personally regardless of how much I disagree with them.....about football.

No offense, but you make it personal when you constantly talk about yourself.

If it was just your opinion given once, it'd be one thing, but you repeatedly give the same take in every thread.  And on top of it you repeatedly bring up your own physical prowess, ability to deal with injury and pain, professional savvy, history of playing sports, etc. as a way to bad-mouth Andrew Luck.

You come across as extremely self-centered.  It's very off-putting.  And on top of all that, your negativity is making a bad situation worse for the rest of us.  :scorebad:

• Like 2

As for the timing, I agree that that hurts and wasn’t to cool. But we all heard Luck. He clearly wishes this wasn’t happening while being adamant about making it happen. And he knew it couldn’t go 1 more second without happening. So he quit. 

I think he’ll be back 1 day but that’s another post. Even Favre genuinely thought he was done the first 2 times he retired and balled like a girl as he did it. 

10 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

He sounded suicidal in his presser. Walking away may have saved his life.

Not to try and sound important, but in high school football I got four concussions and after my fourth time retraining my brain to do things normally, and after actually tangible brain damage that still affects parts of my life, I was teetering on the edge. My coaches were * and didn’t care if you were dying, you should be playing. They’d call you names and gossip about you until you just gave up and crawled back to them. After learning that I was in serious danger with my brain and that I wouldn’t ever be entirely who I was, I was ready to let everything go, if you catch my drift. I sat down and thought for hours, and finally decided that my love for the game wasn’t worth my future life, and I quit. Obviously I’m not anywhere near the variables of the Luck situation, but I really empathize with the guy. He needed to step away, and I would pray that he never tries to come back if he really is at this point. Again, not trying to get pity points, but I’ve been in his boat and I’m glad he’s stepping away. A good man like him needs to pursue his other goals in life, and we should thank him for what he’s done for us over the years. I think it takes a lot of character to do something like this, and I’m proud of him for drawing his line and saying “No more.” Sometimes standing up for yourself is the hardest thing to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know I didn’t think about this until I listened to the radio today and JMV made the point.  It’s okay to be both understanding and supportive of Luck taking care of himself but at the same time being * about what this does to this team.

Life is about more than football. This hurts our team a lot, but I’d rather take a step back on our goals then see a man miserable with his life. I think this is for the best

• Thanks 1

Can't go through all the pages I missed today, so maybe this has already been said:

I don't mind the timing of this. I much prefer it to Luck playing through the season in pain and then calling it quits.

JB has been taking all the first team reps.

By the end of this season we'll know if he's the successor or if we have to look elsewhere for a QB.

Imagine if Luck played through the pain, JB signed with another team, and then Luck retired.

Imagine if Luck played through the pain and retired before free agency. Then what? Do we pull the trigger on JB without fully knowing if he's the guy?

We'll be fine.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Life is about more than football. This hurts our team a lot, but I’d rather take a step back on our goals then see a man miserable with his life. I think this is for the best

Oh I agree with you.  That’s why I’ve been understanding of Andrew from the get go but I can also see why as a fan you can feel that way and still be mad about what it does to the team.  I mean this was the guy the Colts cut a lot of people’s favorite player for and to a lot of them the guy they felt was the greatest to ever play the game for.  You not only had to sit through Manning winning a Super Bowl somewhere else (not saying he would have here), but you had to watch him end his career in Denver and now they have to share him with the Broncos because you were told that Andrew Luck was worth it.

Now seven years in he Retires at the worst possible time just as the team is getting to the point where the team is supposed to be a Super Bowl contender again.  I can understand why as a football fan one would be mad.

With that said, as you said and as I said last night, football is a game.  We are talking about a guy who walked away for his health and that’s much more important.  So personally I can put aside any anger or frustration I feel and understand why he did it.  It doesn’t mean as a Colts fan it doesn’t really really suck though.

• Thanks 1

All the people who are angry, are assuming Andrew could've played again, and at his elite level.  If you listen to what he said, he just couldn't have done so.  Then theyd be angry that he wasn't the elite QB they expected.....

It might have been 10 weeks or more without him, and the same people would scream he needed to play.