Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did we overate this team ?

HOF19

Colts defense did their job today.  The defense actually exceeded my expectations.

The offense didn't play well, at all.  But also, give credit to the Jaguars defense for playing extremely well.

Coaching grade today: D.  You have to take the points in the NFL when you get them.  Especially on the road.

I know this take isn't outrageous or flashy, but I think it's fairly accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

People got way to over confident about this team and forgot they were capable of terrible games like this.

Still need a lot of pieces.

Seeing the reaction of the Colts fans today …….. I think you might just be spot on about fans being over confident .

• Like 2

Of course fans as a whole did.  A 5 game winning streak can put the blinders on about anyone.  We still have two tough road games and a good Dallas team to play.  Expecting this team to finish 9-1 and make the playoffs is borderline craziness.  We are heading in the right direction but will have setbacks.  It’s ok

• Like 2

Absolutely. This is year one in a new scheme with a new coaching staff. We've made HUGE strides this season but fans get spoiled and entitled easily and as soon as something doesn't go their way, the tantrums start. We're doing just fine. Obviously not a good game, but definitely a learning/humbling moment for this young team.

• Like 1

You take games one at a time. After looking at the playoff simulator theres a ton of big games still to be played. Our biggest game of the year comes NEXT week. As of today we pretty much held our own destiny. Now its going to take some help probably to get in but don't get your hopes up. I personally don't like to look too far ahead of anything. 

Why are we even talking playoffs? Because it gives us something to talk about right now. We will get better. 

Depends on what you mean by "we"

I said we should take this week-by-week , and that I was more interested in our team developing than I was results. 

This has still been a really enjoyable season , and I'm more hopeful now than I was week 1 , but I don't need this to be a playoff year to feel excited about this team. 

We're doing a lot of good things , but we've got a long way to go. 

• Like 2

I think this team is exactly what we see.  A young, talented team with a few holes.

I think the Colts have over-achieved (a little), and i think the Jags are much better than their record. 

This wasnt a year for a run.  We all knew that.  Some succes, and suddenly our expectations go up.  Missing Doyle today was huge, imo.

The game today shouldnt change our excitement for the future.  Sure it affects this year, but now is the time to use avlittle perspective i think.  For what its worth, the Steelers barely scored on them either.

The bottom line is, the Jaguars are eliminated, they aren't making the playoffs, and they punk'd us. We probably did overrate this team, but it's borderline disgusting how we laid down for them considering this may of been a do or die game for us. This is what's so hard about being a fan, you root for your team, they play horrible randomly at times, and you feel like garbage even though you did nothing wrong.

• Like 2

Colts defense was rated 17th overall according to ESPN before today's game. I wonder if they will go up in rankings considering only allowing 6 points. It doesn't matter what offense the jags have. Stats we're low for season scoring avg for both teams today. Super defensive struggle. The jaguars defense is better than ours. And that's simply what it came down to. 

23 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Colts defense was rated 17th overall according to ESPN before today's game. I wonder if they will go up in rankings considering only allowing 6 points. It doesn't matter what offense the jags have. Stats we're low for season scoring avg for both teams today. Super defensive struggle. The jaguars defense is better than ours. And that's simply what it came down to. 

Don’t forget our Offense is better than the Jags too. Our defense gets its first real test against a top 15 offense for the first time since New England game

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

People got way to over confident about this team and forgot they were capable of terrible games like this.

Yes, when we were losing, (via fan responses and sentiment) we were trash. Then we started winning, and we were unstoppable playoff force.  But before the season started, most ( 59%) knew what we were.  A 7-9 to 9-7 team.  It was in a poll.  We are right on pace for that.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/59041-colts-regular-season-record/?tab=comments#comment-1753942

47 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Are we the 5-in-a-row team or the 1-5 team.?

Yes.

We're 6-6.   I dont know

We are what most members ( 6 out of 10 ) here predicted we would be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, runthepost said:

Don’t forget our Offense is better than the Jags too. Our defense gets its first real test against a top 15 offense for the first time since New England game

This game was good for everyone. Reality check... They will bounce back. I think doyle was invaluable because he was a great blocker and also chip blocking was his thing then swing out and catch in the middle. That was gone. They completely changed the way they play offense today compared to the rest of the season. But without Kelly I think we saw how bad we are without a run game. Kelly may be more valuable to the offense as a whole than we thought also. and we may get a better picture when he comes back. But I find it strange that the offense changed once doyle went to IR. Much longer routes were ran today. 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

This game was good for everyone. Reality check... They will bounce back. I think doyle was invaluable because he was a great blocker and also chip blocking was his thing then swing out and catch in the middle. That was gone. They completely changed the way they play offense today compared to the rest of the season. But without Kelly I think we saw how bad we are without a run game. Kelly may be more valuable to the offense as a whole than we thought also. and we may get a better picture when he comes back. But I find it strange that the offense changed once doyle went to IR. Much longer routes were ran today. 

I noticed the longer routes too. It may be from all of the busted coverages the Jags have had all year? Once Kelly gets back we should be good