Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Building: The Case for a 1st Rd WR is Pretty Strong

ztboiler

Topically this is more about the current team and roster building than specific player drafting....so I'll put it here, but mods please move as you see fit.

As much as we all want the 3T of the future out of this upcoming draft, there is a good chance drafting in the 20's doesn't yield that kind of player.  Inside pass rush is trading at an all-time high right now, and for good reason.  Despite the volume of DL projected to be worth high picks in 2019, its unlikely that a disruptive inside rusher with 1st round measurables is still available in the 20's.

Amidst our offensive Renaissance, we've patched a gaping hole at WR respectably...but a significant hole remains and no good roster building strategy would leave it unaddressed with significant resources.   Stock piling talent on defense is still priority 1 in my book, but if a BPA outside WR is available at our 1st Rd. pick its the right time to pull the trigger.  It would be a shame to have another early to mid-season slump next year with patchwork WR play as a factor amidst the prime years of our franchise QB.  

They definitely need one early.  Had they continued trending toward a top 5 pick, I'd probably have said wait until Rd 2.

However...as they now look like they'll be a middle of Rd 1 pick, they may want to use one then or at least with the Jets 2nd Rd pick.

Its allegedly a fabulous defensive draft, even if the Colts don't draft an inside pass rusher. Take a DE; a CB; a S. Or take one of the remaining DTs. All are needed badly. I do agree with the need for a WR, and I understand the desire to find one sooner than later. But Cain is going to be coming back; Inman looks rock solid as a possession receiver,  and this team will not take the next step without shoring up this D. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, icf said:

They definitely need one early.  Had they continued trending toward a top 5 pick, I'd probably have said wait until Rd 2.

However...as they now look like they'll be a middle of Rd 1 pick, they may want to use one then or at least with the Jets 2nd Rd pick.

We will have the Jet's #2.

edit: just noticed ur last sentence.  Haha

You pick the guy who's the best blue chip potential in round 1 for my dollar. Don't overvalue a position (is this subconsciously planted in my mind buy Superman's sig?), find the guy with the most upside. 

I think the D is going to get plenty of attention in this draft, but I wouldn't assume anything right now.

• Like 5

Trying to enjoy the ride this season. They are exciting to watch again. I still think going 8-8 9-7 and still missing the playoffs in my humble opinion will suck just as bad if not worse than 4-12 5-11. This team needs 1 more good year of top 10 picks to be the dynasty we all want BUILDING THRU THE DRAFT. Ballard proved he isn't afraid to move around the draft board so we shall see  

37 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

If Cain can bounce back quickly from that ACL. I like my chances with Ty Hilton, Dontrell Inman, and Deon Cain as our top three WRs going into next season. Also with the way we utilize our TEs, defense is a MUST right now.

I HOPE you are right

I WISH that there was more time.... with Luck to see what we have here

To me Cain is muchly unproven

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Trying to enjoy the ride this season. They are exciting to watch again. I still think going 8-8 9-7 and still missing the playoffs in my humble opinion will suck just as bad if not worse than 4-12 5-11. This team needs 1 more good year of top 10 picks to be the dynasty we all want BUILDING THRU THE DRAFT. Ballard proved he isn't afraid to move around the draft board so we shall see  

You may be right, but if you look at the schedule, we should be favored in most of the rest of the games..........  

Barring an injury to Luck, 

I truly think that this team wins a minimum of 9 games

This came up the other day on the draft board. Since the 2015 draft, only Amari Cooper has really lived up to deserving of first round position. Calvin Ridley and DJ Moore are having good rookie seasons, but that's about it. And you have some real 1st round dogs in that time. The value for receivers has been in the second round since then. But I would agree, we need to take a receiver, but not in the first.

• Like 1

I agree with BPA but with the line improved. if the BPA was a guard or a tackle, would the Colts take him? I wonder. If the BPA was on the D side, a WR, or a potential Kareem Hunt-like rb, I'd be on board. Especially if he could catch....the current rb dropsies are frustrating.

By the way, I don't post on this board much but I follow the Toledo Rockets (my home town) and I called that Kareem Hunt was worth taking. The Rockets have a real good Cooper Kupp-like WR in Cody Thompson and another explosive WR/KR in a guy named Johnson that are worth keeping an eye on Mr. Ballard. 

With all the tv channels and ESPN3 covering every football game this side of Slippery Rock fighting 11, it sure is easy to follow your home team even if you live across the nation in Spokane, WA.

2 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

First round not likely ,isn't it a weak wr class ?

There isn't the high end 1st round talent this year but the middle rounds will be loaded with guys at the position that could pan out IMO. This is a great year to be picking WRs in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds. Next year's class will be loaded with 1st round talent but that's not Ballard's style.

• Like 2

The one comment Ballard made last year that still resonates with me is the reason he drafted Smith when he did is they had him rated as the last OL. that they felt could start right away.  Right now we have three picks in the 1st. two rounds.  I think he will be looking for the first two maybe first three picks to be starter material depending on where we draft.  Impact players not project players with upside but players who should start as rookies.  The ability to start right away and contribute right away is going to be important to him.  I think a run at a certain position could help dictate how our picks play out especially if there is not a rated starter player in that group when we pick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would actually take Marquise Brown with the Jets pick if he made it there in the 2nd round. His stock has risen recently, but he could just as easily fall to the 2nd round in a huge defensive draft such as this.

I like the player but he is a shade over 150lbs. I couldn't spend an early second on him. I think his game translates somewhere between TY Hilton and Tavon Austin. It's hard to really gauge his film because guys are running wide open every play in the Oklahoma offense. Brown does look like he has elite speed but he might have his hands full getting off press coverage at the next level.

I would go as far to say there is a 100% chance Chris Ballard doesn't draft a receiver in the first round this year. 

Matter of fact, I'm not sure I see him spend our 1st two picks on anything but defense. The draft is simply too top heavy in talent. 

He's brought in some good offensive talent in the mid rounds, and keep in mind, was very high on Deon Cain before his injury. He might address the position, but he's feeling good about where they are headed with how they are rolling on offense right now. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I like the player but he is a shade over 150lbs. I couldn't spend an early second on him. I think his game translates somewhere between TY Hilton and Tavon Austin. It's hard to really gauge his film because guys are running wide open every play in the Oklahoma offense. Brown does look like he has elite speed but he might have his hands full getting off press coverage at the next level.

Brown is 5'11 and 160 pounds. I'm 5'8 and 170 pounds, so I know he can put on weight if needed. Brown has elite speed and separation skills as well as very good hands and route running. I admit, I don't know if he can catch in traffic as I haven't watched tape of him yet, but I do think he's legit. My only worry of him is that his speed is straight-line speed for the most part, and defenders can run angles to catch him easily. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brown is 5'11 and 160 pounds. I'm 5'8 and 170 pounds, so I know he can put on weight if needed. Brown has elite speed and separation skills as well as very good hands and route running. I admit, I don't know if he can catch in traffic as I haven't watched tape of him yet, but I do think he's legit. My only worry of him is that his speed is straight-line speed for the most part, and defenders can run angles to catch him easily. 

Yeah putting on weight is just thermodynamics..increasing weight and maintaining body composition is genetics, nutrition and training. There ARE hard limits. Unless you talk to your friend Mr PED of course. 

Worth noting that weight can affect speed, why we see a lot of players slimming down for the combine purposefully.

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yeah putting on weight is just thermodynamics..increasing weight and maintaining body composition is genetics, nutrition and training. There ARE hard limits. Unless you talk to your friend Mr PED of course. 

The only issue it might cause him is possibly losing a bit of speed if he gains weight. I'm sure an NFL team could teach him the right way to put on a few pounds. Then again, he may be better where he's at. I wonder what TY weighs? 

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only issue it might cause him is possibly losing a bit of speed if he gains weight. I'm sure an NFL team could teach him the right way to put on a few pounds. Then again, he may be better where he's at. I wonder what TY weighs? 

183 is TYs listed weight. Brown's listed weight is 160 and player's college listed weights are usually generous. We'll find out at the combine.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea what wins in this era.  In 2018, having the best pass rusher in the league is the difference between giving up 51 and 58.  Having Von Miller and Chubb gets you 4 wins.

What do you do?  With what Ballard has done with 2nd rounders, I would just trade down again, if you can, and give yourself more opportunities.

24 minutes ago, #12. said:

I have no idea what wins in this era.  In 2018, having the best pass rusher in the league is the difference between giving up 51 and 58.  Having Von Miller and Chubb gets you 4 wins.

What do you do?  With what Ballard has done with 2nd rounders, I would just trade down again, if you can, and give yourself more opportunities.

Great/deep offensive and defensive lines and a franchise quarterback. You have to put playmakers on the field, but above average players look great with dominant lines. We are fine tuning one side of that equation, we MUST build the other (defensive line)... I'm all in favor of trying to move up this draft and getting one of the several premium defensive lineman this draft is going to produce. We have several options to do that.