Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great overall game

CR91

The colts defense came up big today, holding the redskins to 9 points. Peterson was limited as was alex smith. Darius leonard just a monster today. He was everywhere. The offense had a good start, but did stall for most of the game, but a beautifully designed play in the red zone late in the game with hilton running the drag and getting wide open.

• Like 3

Played complementary football.  Played a 4 quarter game.  Won in the trenches.  How often do you say that about the Colts?  lol 

Outside of the one Luck INT, no complaints.

I will say, though, to compete with any elite team we'll have to be more aggressive offensively and will have to find a pass rush off the edge.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The colts defense came up big today, holding the redskins to 9 points. Peterson was limited as was alex smith. Darius leonard just a monster today. He was everywhere. The offense had a good start, but did stall for most of the game, but a beautifully designed play in the red zone late in the game with hilton running the drag and getting wide open.

Agreed, the D has been a great surprise.  We should recognize what a good job the d line is doing getting penetration in the backfield, our negative play count and sacks are very solid!  Onward Colts!!!!

The Colts put up under 300 yards of total offense but still won going away.  Thanks in large part to a solid defensive performance that kept a respectable Skins offense out of  the end zone and limited them to only 9 points.  Our defense was the catalyst for this win.  I’m very impressed and happy with our team’s performance today.

Solid win and on the road no less.  Washington’s stadium is not an easy venue to play in.  It was refreshing to see so many Colts fans in the stands.  The Colts fan presence in the MD-DC-VA area is under rated.  Those old Baltimore connections die hard! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I love this offense. It's head and shoulders better than what we had under Pagano. I love the way they scheme guys open.

I agree, and I think it's a work in progress.  During the offseason, Reich spoke of going up-tempo and being aggressive.  I think that will come.  Today, they sort of played the scoreboard, which was smart, with the way the D was playing.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I love this offense. It's head and shoulders better than what we had under Pagano. I love the way they scheme guys open.

I agree .... and I love this defense too. 

Today was the surest tackling I  remember seeing in many years.  I hope both offense and defense continue to play well and grow every week...... although ... having a high pick and grabbing Bosa in the draft would be cool too.

Overall a well schemed/ coached, played/ executed game, even with the time it took to re-adjust after the half and overcoming our sluggish return to the field.  Much better than last week. 

Penalties were minimal and really never cost us much, and more importantly the concentration and ball protection we had this week was impressive.  

Leonard is going to be one special player in a year or two.  Playing exceptionally well now as a rookie, but he has the potential to be a phenomenal player for us.

In the end, everyone made a difference by playing their role and with the lack of mistakes the team effort exemplified what Chris Ballard has been preaching to us (and I assume them).  It felt really good to watch a total team effort today get rewarded by doing just that.

• Like 2

I’ll say this, and I said it in the game thread as well:

there are still tines where we telegraph our run plays. It’s like they just kept the Pagano 3 TE set portion of the playbook and have just kept on using it. I really  expected Reich to harken back to the single back two wide 2TE Manning/Moore days more than he has. More often than not we just don’t get good plays when we have that many bodies in the box. 

46 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I agree .... and I love this defense too. 

Today was the surest tackling I  remember seeing in many years.  I hope both offense and defense continue to play well and grow every week...... although ... having a high pick and grabbing Bosa in the draft would be cool too.

Overall a well schemed/ coached, played/ executed game, even with the time it took to re-adjust after the half and overcoming our sluggish return to the field.  Much better than last week. 

Penalties were minimal and really never cost us much, and more importantly the concentration and ball protection we had this week was impressive.  

Leonard is going to be one special player in a year or two.  Playing exceptionally well now as a rookie, but he has the potential to be a phenomenal player for us.

In the end, everyone made a difference by playing their role and with the lack of mistakes the team effort exemplified what Chris Ballard has been preaching to us (and I assume them).  It felt really good to watch a total team effort today get rewarded by doing just that.

I agree. Normally a team would throw a screen and we would miss the tackle. The tackling is much better so far this year

• Like 1

I have t enjoyed a Colts game like that for a long time. Little hiccup in the 3rd by the offense but the D played like savages and didn't allow the skins to sniff a comeback. I was thoroughly I'm pressed by the OL, Wilkins, Hunt and Leonard. Secondary played their tail off too. The whole team impressed me

Game balls 

Jihad Ward came to play in his first game. He looked much more like the guy on tape from Illinois (interesting that his dline coach is here now) with the sack, 3 tackles for loss and generally a nuisance at the UT position. Far better than Autry last week.

Darius Leonard was the "Maniac" today for sure. You've seen the stat line but the eyes said everything watching him fly around the field.

The secondary as a whole played much better. Better communication and nobody got behind them. Plus - when they tackle you, you know it - they bring the boom.

The rest of the dline continued to be disruptive as they were the first week, but the difference this game is the linebackers (and Geathers) maintained thier gap assignments and SWARMED to the ball.

The oline, once again without Costanzo kept Luck pretty clean, especially Nelson, Kelly and Slauson. Clark did a good job as did Haeg on the edges.

I loved the balance of Mack, Hines and Wilkins - the committee did what a feature back is expected to do, 100+ yards at 4+ per run plus catches out of the backfield.

The tight ends and receivers played solid games, but nothing spectacular - YET. I believe it is coming that we'll see a few play action or fake bubble screens turned into a few long passes.

Luck took what the defense gave him, again. That INT was dumb much like the first weeks. The tipped ball one, that happens from time to time.

Coaching Staff - these guys are showing us that they can scheme an offense, they can coach up mental and physical mistakes and motivate the heck out of thier players! Love it!

• Like 9