Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wonder what it would cost to get Tyron Smith LT Dallas

19 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

I mean could you imagine our line with Tyron at LT Nelson at G Kelly at C, Slauson at RG and Castonzo at RT. I'd throw a 1st and a 4th for him. Would Dallas be dumb enough to take it?

15 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

So if you had the chance to get Smith you wouldn't at least try? Interesting.

:realitycheck:  this thread and the notion of moving AC to RT has been brought up MANY times of the last several years. Bottomline is this, you're not getting a top tier LT for a 4th round pick from any one.  Second, AC is not moving to RT.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Also I remember Jeff Saturday saying when he was drafted that he has feet for RT so if the remote chance Dallas wouldn't want too much for smith I would go get him and move AC to RT.

But with Smith the problem with this trade is I think it would take 2 firsts and probable a 2nd or 3rd.

AC is a LT. He has made the most important position on the OL the most stable since we drafted him. Why in the world would we move him to RT? We wouldn't and we aren't. Are we really going to start this nonsense again this year? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We aren't getting Tyron Smith.

With that said though I do think Ballard needs to address OT next offseason. We are one more quality OT away from being potentially elite on OL when healthy. Our interior OL is set, just need our bookend tackle to go with Castonzo. 

I'd like to see us going after a stud DT round 1 since the draft class is so good, then in round 2 or 3 get a quality OT unless one becomes available in free agency. 

So some of you would be willing to give up picks for a position we don’t need, but won’t give up picks for Khalil Mack?

And not to mention the former mentioned is the best piece on the best offensive line in football so doubt they’d even entertain that call especially with Fredrick having an Illness right now but okay.

Just now, TKnight24 said:

So some of you would be willing to give up picks for a position we don’t need, but won’t give up picks for Khalil Mack?

And not to mention the former mentioned is the best piece on the best offensive line in football so doubt they’d even entertain that call especially with Fredrick having an Illness right now but okay.

It's almost the same scenario for me. Great player (besides health questions for Smith), premium position, but I wouldn't give up premium picks for him at this time. 

The only difference here is that Smith is cost controlled for at least another three years. He's actually under contract for another six years, but he'll be asking for an extension well before that. Plus the new CBA will be in 2021, and that should be viewed as a reset for everyone in the league.

By the way, I'm not a huge proponent of this "AC to RT" movement that has existed since we drafted him -- BUT -- if we had a reasonable shot at a top five LT, I'd be fine with moving AC to RT. Not a week before the season, ideally, but I think AC would be fine at RT if he had an offseason to make the move.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Feel the same as @Superman

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You dont want Smith.   He’s on the downside if his career.    Bad back and bad knees.

Never buy a one-time great player based on what he used to be.   He’s not the player he once was.

Neither am I but I am as good once as I ever was.

I have said this before but I will say it again:

AC has been the starting LT from day 1 for:

- 3 GMs

- 2 (soon to be 3 could be 4 if you count Arians at the Interim HC role) HCs

- 4 (soon to be 5, if you don't count Arians in the HC row) OCs

- 4 (soon to be 5 if I remember correctly) offensive line coaches.

So much so, that none of those guys have done anything to try and replace him... they have not drafted a future LT, they have not brought in free agents, they have not asked him to renegotiate his contract, he hasn't been involved in any trade rumors.  They have watched the game film of him, they have presumably talked to him and after all that, the Colts go into the season with AC penciled in as the starting LT.

That says more than any PFF rating and definitely more than anything we fans can say on a forum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Colts would be wise to shoot for a replacement LT next year, but put him at RT for the next couple of seasons. That way they have a backup plan. AC will break down one of these days, and there is no replacement on the team yet. They will have to find that guy in the draft, and the sooner the better, assuming he can play RT at first. 

Oh, and Dallas isn't trading their LT. Nor is any other team that has a decent starter there. They are as rare as good QBs. 

1. Why would Dallas trade a top level Olineman with Travis Frederick’s season in doubt.

2. AC is a legit LT. I don’t see why he gets so much hate on here sometimes.

3. To answer your original question, the price would be astronomical and no, Jerry Jones isn’t stupid.

9 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

I mean could you imagine our line with Tyron at LT Nelson at G Kelly at C, Slauson at RG and Castonzo at RT. I'd throw a 1st and a 4th for him. Would Dallas be dumb enough to take it?

9 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

This trade wouldn’t make much since as he and Castonzo are both LT’s.

23 hours ago, Hoose said:

The Colts would be wise to shoot for a replacement LT next year, but put him at RT for the next couple of seasons. That way they have a backup plan. AC will break down one of these days, and there is no replacement on the team yet. They will have to find that guy in the draft, and the sooner the better, assuming he can play RT at first. 

Oh, and Dallas isn't trading their LT. Nor is any other team that has a decent starter there. They are as rare as good QBs. 

If we can draft a good LT, he will need to 'break in' on the right side and learn NFL play.  If he is good enough, (or AC drops off enough) they can switch then.  Essentially, no LT out of college will be better than AC overall right off the bat.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:31 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

I have said this before but I will say it again:

AC has been the starting LT from day 1 for:

- 3 GMs

- 2 (soon to be 3 could be 4 if you count Arians at the Interim HC role) HCs

- 4 (soon to be 5, if you don't count Arians in the HC row) OCs

- 4 (soon to be 5 if I remember correctly) offensive line coaches.

So much so, that none of those guys have done anything to try and replace him... they have not drafted a future LT, they have not brought in free agents, they have not asked him to renegotiate his contract, he hasn't been involved in any trade rumors.  They have watched the game film of him, they have presumably talked to him and after all that, the Colts go into the season with AC penciled in as the starting LT.

That says more than any PFF rating and definitely more than anything we fans can say on a forum.

But according to the forum, Twitter, & Facebook, Castonzo's "struggles" stem from all of the following:

Injury-prone: false

Too many holding calls: false

Not big enough to play LT: false

Can't set the edge on run plays: false

Gives up a ton of sacks: false

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1