HungarianColtsFan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

Assuming any of this is true then what does this say about the perceived Colts interest or position on Mcdaniels being that it appears they may have been willing to hire Nagy over him.   Wondering if there are more issues than it appears?  Have to speculate a bit.

Considering this is coming from someone not associated with the Colts, I'm questioning the validity.  Define going "hard" or all in on Nagy?  And interview does not make it going all in.  Further more, one of the Colts beat writers or even the national guys would pick up on it IF we'd even extended an offer.  I think this is just Chicago media trying to upsell Nagy to the fan base. Nothing more. 

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I genuinely wonder who the "source" on this would be as Ballard has always struck me (and I am sure has even said outright) that the hiring process would be kept internal. 

I don't know who else aside from Ballard and Mr Irsay would know their feelings towards each candidate and I don't see any reason for either to leak their preferences.

Also, I would argue over the Bears roster being "much better" than ours.  We also have strong draft capital and a ton of cap space to rectify these issues.

It could have slipped from the Bears.  They obviously were talking to Nagy and if I’m him I’m playing up another team looking at me to get a better contract.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Could be wrong, but I don't think it would be hard for Nagy to privately speak on the issue to someone.  I could see him saying "Well I had strong interest from Indy but I felt XYZ and that's why I went with the Bears".  Same way there were rumors that he was high on Trubisky.  Turns out he ends up becoming the Bears head coach ironically. Or maybe the rumor was true.   On the other hand it could be Kaplan slinging mud to make the hire look better than it is.  Who knows?

Yeah that’s why I worded it as reliable source. I don’t consider the interviewee to be that. You only benefit from pumping yourself up. 

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm fine with that.   I love Wilks if we can get him.

I'm with you. I know most on here want Mcdaniels but my 1st choice is actually Wilks. I watched over 2 hrs of interviews,  press conferences and coaches mic'd up on our candidates last night. Wilks impressed me the most,  he's definetly a leader of men and has a great head coach presence about him. He's well respected and knows how to handle his players and the media. In one of his interviews he started talking about offense and even special teams. The reporter even mentioned that it was odd hearing that from a D coach. He said he keeps up with every unit bc he always wants to be ready if he needs to step in. Kris Richard sounded just like Pagano in everything I listened to on him, good with his players, very hands on but really bad in front of a camera or mic. Mcdaniels is very standoffish, very good coordinator and schemer but not a true leader of men (He's my 3rd choice). Vrabel is definetly going to be a head coach someday, well respected and relates well with his players but not sure he's ready yet. Toub my 2nd choice has alot of the same characteristics as Wilks.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I genuinely wonder who the "source" on this would be as Ballard has always struck me (and I am sure has even said outright) that the hiring process would be kept internal. 

I don't know who else aside from Ballard and Mr Irsay would know their feelings towards each candidate and I don't see any reason for either to leak their preferences.

Also, I would argue over the Bears roster being "much better" than ours.  We also have strong draft capital and a ton of cap space to rectify these issues.

It could have slipped from the Bears.  They obviously were talking to Nagy and if I’m him I’m playing up another team looking at me to get a better contract.

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

Assuming any of this is true then what does this say about the perceived Colts interest or position on Mcdaniels being that it appears they may have been willing to hire Nagy over him.   Wondering if there are more issues than it appears?  Have to speculate a bit.

I don’t think you have to speculate on this.  Josh is very selective in where he’ll go.  He could have been their choice but he could have said no thanks.  There were reports earlier before the bears hired Nagy that Josh had narrowed it down to the colts and giants.  It can’t be understated that he also wants to go to a team with a patient owner which the bears owner has proven not to be.

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

We can't do anything but speculate, but again I don't find it all that hard that Nagy could have spoken on the issue and it got out.

I am glad we didn't get him.......not that the new HC needs to have years of experience Nagy's situation was too similar to Pagano's level of experience for my liking. And whatever happened to Ballard's boy Toub if they were all in on Nagy? I would bet we are leaning toward McDaniels honestly in a "his job to lose" scenario.....and I don't necessarily want him either.....but we will see how this all shakes out.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I give him two years.  That's about the average lifespan for a Bears coach.

Besides how they feel about Luck, any candidate has to appreciate the patience and faith that Irsay has in his management.

Great things happen to teams after John Fox is fired.......

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Well if Nagy was worried about Luck then he wasn't the guy Ballard wanted anyway. He definitely wasn't the guy that the majority of this forum wanted. (Not saying we get things right all the time) Best of luck to him in Chicago. 

Any prospective coach not worried about Luck is a liar or a fool.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

That's a good point. The optics on this aren't good...any way you look at it. But I think all it would take is one phone call from Irsay to tell McDaniels (if he is the guy) to say that this is not true.

If we want to play the speculation game...this is what I think could have happened. CHI wanted McDaniels...but he was leaning toward IND and the NYG. Nagy's agent took it as an opportunity to create a sense of urgency by telling CHI that Indy was all in on Nagy but was waiting to interview everyone...so CHI should act now and get the deal done.

Who really knows. But this reeks of an agent leaking this information. Ballard is keeping a very tight ship right now and I highly doubt the Colts gave any indication of being all-in to any of their candidates while interviews were going on. So the leak must have originated from CHI...which likely means it was either fabricated by the source to hype Nagy or it originated with the agent (most likely) as a way to inflate his client's value and create a sense of urgency. 

32 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Kaplan is a Chicago sports hype man.  He does a lot of pre and post game for Chicago sports and has team connections.  Probably some homegrown spin because some Bears fans were not that enamored with the hire.

Bears don't have a much better roster either.  That was pure fantasy  .

1 I don't care Nagy was like 4th at best on my wish list!

2 Turbisky or Luck :facepalm: nope stop right there.

3 Bears roster better humm nope that ain't flying either!

4 Nagy took the job because the Bears offered him the job and the Colts didn't either because he wasn't the guy we wanted or we were going to finish the interviews!!

5 if Nagy was the guy irsay would have never let him get away. 

6 Nagy has a much lower expection level in Chicago than he would in Indy 

7 Nagy wanted a job as Head Coach and he didn't want to go on lots of interviews and be back at KC without a Head coaching gig! Bears offered we didn't end of story!!

4 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Per David Kaplan:

Source tells me the Indianapolis Colts were all in on hiring Matt Nagy. Uncertainty on health of Andrew Luck vs Mitchell Trubisky + Nagy’s belief the Bears roster is much better made decision for him. “Pace landed him by convincing him sunny days are ahead for the Bears.”

That's fine I wasn't impressed with Nagy anyway.

53 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If we want to play the speculation game...this is what I think could have happened. CHI wanted McDaniels...but he was leaning toward IND and the NYG. Nagy's agent took it as an opportunity to create a sense of urgency by telling CHI that Indy was all in on Nagy but was waiting to interview everyone...so CHI should act now and get the deal done.

Who really knows. But this reeks of an agent leaking this information. Ballard is keeping a very tight ship right now and I highly doubt the Colts gave any indication of being all-in to any of their candidates while interviews were going on. So the leak must have originated from CHI...which likely means it was either fabricated by the source to hype Nagy or it originated with the agent (most likely) as a way to inflate his client's value and create a sense of urgency. 

Spot on analysis.  

Kaplan gets paid to speculate.  He doesn't have inside access to Ballard and usually when a scoop breaks our local media covers it.  New info also comes out of New York and Boston but from reputable sources unlike Kaplan.