Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking at top 5 picks the last few years

DalTXColtsFan

I looked at top 5 picks because sometimes the consensus top picks falls to 3 or 4, or sometimes a GM will reach for a projected #5 pick at #3.  The point is, this is the history of the approximate talent level we'll be looking at in the draft.  I see a lot more difference makers than I do outright busts.  Ballard needs to NAIL this pick.

Myles Garrett
Mitchell Trubisky
Solomon Thomas
Leonard Fournette
Corey Davis

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Joey Bosa
Ezekiel Elliott
Jalen Ramsey

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Dante Fowler
Amari Cooper
Brandon Scherff

Jadeveon Clowney
Greg Robinson
Blake Bortles
Sammy Watkins
Khalil Mack

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Dion Jordan
Lane Johnson
Ezekiel Ansah (ironically Barkevious Mingo was #6 that year!)

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Trent Richardson
Matt Kalil
Justin Blackmon

Cam Newton
Von Miller
Marcell Dareus
A.J. Green
Patrick Peterson (Julio Jones was #6 that year, and JJ Watt was #11)

Sam Bradford
Ndamukong Suh
Gerald McCoy
Trent Williams
Eric Berry

3 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I looked at top 5 picks because sometimes the consensus top picks falls to 3 or 4, or sometimes a GM will reach for a projected #5 pick at #3.  The point is, this is the history of the approximate talent level we'll be looking at in the draft.  I see a lot more difference makers than I do outright busts.  Ballard needs to NAIL this pick.

Myles Garrett
Mitchell Trubisky
Solomon Thomas
Leonard Fournette
Corey Davis

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Joey Bosa
Ezekiel Elliott
Jalen Ramsey

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Dante Fowler
Amari Cooper
Brandon Scherff

Jadeveon Clowney
Greg Robinson
Blake Bortles
Sammy Watkins
Khalil Mack

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Dion Jordan
Lane Johnson
Ezekiel Ansah (ironically Barkevious Mingo was #6 that year!)

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Trent Richardson
Matt Kalil
Justin Blackmon

Cam Newton
Von Miller
Marcell Dareus
A.J. Green
Patrick Peterson (Julio Jones was #6 that year, and JJ Watt was #11)

Sam Bradford
Ndamukong Suh
Gerald McCoy
Trent Williams
Eric Berry

I know he needs to but don't get down on him too much if he misses we are dealing with people. It's not an exact science. 

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I know he needs to but don't get down on him too much if he misses we are dealing with people. It's not an exact science. 

It’s what he’s here for.  That was the big rub on Grigson, his poor drafting.  If Ballard botches a top three pick fans are going to have very little patience with him unless he nails just about everything else he does.

Yea Grigson sucked because im sure this forum could have drafted better than him. Of the 40 players that are listed there only 5 players turned out to be busts Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson, Robert Griffon, Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan (too early to tell for last years draft class). The rest have went on to have successful NFL careers. 12.5% chance to bust going by this logic.

Is there a Von Miller or Khalil Mack in this year’s draft?  I remember hearing during the combine & on sports science that their measurables & drill rimes we’re off the charts...  We could sure use someone like that.  I’d take a stud OLineman too.

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Is there a Von Miller or Khalil Mack in this year’s draft?  I remember hearing during the combine & on sports science that their measurables & drill rimes we’re off the charts...  We could sure use someone like that.  I’d take a stud OLineman too.

Chubb

57 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I think we need to trade the number 3 pick and get more picks. 

You guys realize we wouldn’t get a ton of valuable picks this year, right?

For example, let’s say the Dolphins want our pick.  We’d get their 11.  There’s about a 1000 draft point value left over for us to make it fair.  That’s basically the rest of their picks, which ain’t gonna happen.

More likely it would be their 1, 2 and next years 1 at best.  And it gets worse the later teams pick we’d trade with.  

Just something to to keep in mind.

4 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i think barkley will be gone when we pick

If the Browns don’t take the best QB on the board at 1 their fans will rush the building with pitchforks.  I can’t see the Giants taking him either.  

He’ll be there at three.   

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

If the Browns don’t take the best QB on the board at 1 their fans will rush the building with pitchforks.  I can’t see the Giants taking him either.  

He’ll be there at three.   

Darnold and Rosen are perfect Cleveland Brown guys. Neither will fix that franchise. If I am Cleveland I am getting Alex Smith

On 12/31/2017 at 10:33 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Yea Grigson sucked because im sure this forum could have drafted better than him. Of the 40 players that are listed there only 5 players turned out to be busts Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson, Robert Griffon, Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan (too early to tell for last years draft class). The rest have went on to have successful NFL careers. 12.5% chance to bust going by this logic.

Whats the percentage of trading for one of the 12%? I agree it's easy to be an armchair QB and yes Grig's knows more about football then forum members. That doesn't change the fact that he turned in some very poor drafts.

Luck and TY are the only Grig's picks to get second contracts. No one is left from the 13 draft. We might keep Moncrief and/or Mewhort from 2014. There are only 3 guys still around from the 2015. The guy did suck drafting it would be difficult to draft as poorly as he did. 

I think it's a very, very real possibility that Cleveland goes veteran FA at QB. Try to salvage Kiser. Bring in someone who can help teach him. Give him some guidance. They can't be phoning in that pick already. They didn't even properly try to make it work. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they signed a veteran QB and took Chubb at 1. They're still going to get a QB at #4 if they really really want one. Taking Chubb at #1 and pairing him with Garrett is going to make that defense instantly formidable. They help both sides of the ball by reaching for Chubb at 1. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Whats the percentage of trading for one of the 12%? I agree it's easy to be an armchair QB and yes Grig's knows more about football then forum members. That doesn't change the fact that he turned in some very poor drafts.

Luck and TY are the only Grig's picks to get second contracts. No one is left from the 13 draft. We might keep Moncrief and/or Mewhort from 2014. There are only 3 guys still around from the 2015. The guy did suck drafting it would be difficult to draft as poorly as he did. 

To be fair, both of the TE’s we took after Luck that year, both of them go extended contracts. One of course with us and one with a new team but they were both significant contracts. Allen was later traded and we got back a comp pick for Fleener so he did hit on most of his first draft, even if they weren’t exactly fits for our team or stayed on our team. He traded well for a superstar cb (who aged quickly but produced early) and flopped HARD on a former #3 pick trade in Trent. The man won GM of the year in his first season and then just couldn’t hit on anything to save his life. His attitude and way he handled people was his downfall. Having a coaching staff that has been awful didn’t help either. This season will be the season we should have experienced from Lucks first season in the nfl, instead we went to the playoffs and draft picks were lower half of the draft and we didn’t rebuild well. Ballard is getting a franchise qb (hopefully 100%) and a rebuild bounty of draft picks and lots of cap space. Ballard better do well this season for sure. #Pressure 

13 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

We pick 3rd. How will he be gone when the two teams in front of us are needing a QB? Cleveland is special and all, but they won’t take Barkley. 

The Browns also have the 4th pick.   If Rosen is the #1 QB in the draft, the Browns may take Barkely #1 and their QB at #4.   That would probably be their best move. 

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Browns also have the 4th pick.   If Rosen is the #1 QB in the draft, the Browns may take Barkely #1 and their QB at #4.   That would probably be their best move. 

If they do this though, and I hope they do because the value of our #3 will go way up, then they heave to be comfortable with getting the third best QB prospect in the draft. Because I have to think NY is taking a quarterback and then we could very likely trade our of our slot in with a team looking for the second best QB.

I guess it depends upon how they have the quarterbacks ranked. 

I see Darnold falling or staying in school.   He looked awful in the bowl game.  That has to scare teams.   Also, Rosen already stated his interest not to play for the Browns.   I think the Giants could decide not to draft a QB.   Allen and Mayfield will be there at #4, so the Browns may get the best QB anyway. 

7 hours ago, akcolt said:

I wasn't being sarcastic, long before i was a poster here i was a lurker for many years. This forum could have turned in some better drafts than Grigson period lol.

20 hours ago, Myles said:

If that works out for them, it would be a great move, but incredibly risky.  The new GM there would immediately be putting his neck on the line rather than picking who he believes to be the best QB in the draft and then still having the ability to get either Chubb, Barkley or another top talent at #4.

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

If that works out for them, it would be a great move, but incredibly risky.  The new GM there would immediately be putting his neck on the line rather than picking who he believes to be the best QB in the draft and then still having the ability to get either Chubb, Barkley or another top talent at #4.

I don't think Barkely would be there at #4, but 2 of the QB's will be.    

On 1/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, Indyfan4life said:

We pick 3rd. How will he be gone when the two teams in front of us are needing a QB? Cleveland is special and all, but they won’t take Barkley. 

I agree that Barkley won't go at #1 overall but if the Giants and Colts pass on him then I think Cleveland would consider adding him as a compliment to their QB that they will draft @ #1 overall (assuming they pick a QB at 1, that is).

On 1/2/2018 at 11:05 AM, WoolMagnet said:

What if Browns bring in alex smith and the Giants work it out with aeli and draft goes Browns (1) :Barkeley or Chubb and Giants go (2) Barkeley or Chubb?

This could realistically happen.  Everyone is assuming Barkeley or Chubb will be there at 3 but I have been thinking what if they are both gone also.   What do we do then?   Trade down because someone will want the top QB before Cleveland picks at 4?

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

This could realistically happen.  Everyone is assuming Barkeley or Chubb will be there at 3 but I have been thinking what if they are both gone also.   What do we do then?   Trade down because someone will want the top QB before Cleveland picks at 4?

Gonna get interesting.

i gu sscit depends on how "elite"  Ballard feels the OL prospects are.  Perhaps a MLB or top CB.

ideally, i guess you trade back because someone will offer alot for their choice of QB I would think. And you hopefully get a playmaker or stud OL with the 1st, and load up on OL with extras.

free agency can affect our direction so much.

i'm VERY excited to see what this offseason brings. So much is gonna happen..... starting soon with coaches.

i really need to look closer at the incoming draft class.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, John Waylon said:

I think it's a very, very real possibility that Cleveland goes veteran FA at QB. Try to salvage Kiser. Bring in someone who can help teach him. Give him some guidance. They can't be phoning in that pick already. They didn't even properly try to make it work. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they signed a veteran QB and took Chubb at 1. They're still going to get a QB at #4 if they really really want one. Taking Chubb at #1 and pairing him with Garrett is going to make that defense instantly formidable. They help both sides of the ball by reaching for Chubb at 1. 

They will take qb at number 1...pair him with Alex for a couple years and then with the 4th pick they can do whatever they want....they have need in secondary, ol, rb, lb....they can and likely look to trade back from 4 but if they keep it they will have either Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Conner Williams, heck even Nelson likely sitting there for them. The issue is if they wait for qb...they don't know if theirs will be there...and likely it won't because teams would look to trade up with us to jump them. I could be wrong and they might not like any of the qbs in this draft but the chance they pass on qb at 1 I think is crazy. They take qb at 1....heck they might even get their qb and the best player in the draft at 4 by doing so if another team moves up to take another qb at 3 with us. They will have their pick of great players at 4...but the best qb will be off the board....and maybe best 2....they won't give that up even if they do sign or trade for Smith. They need to take multiple chances at a qb working out for them. Smith to be the bridge and then a new pick plus Kizer if they think he has merit.

On 12/31/2017 at 8:19 PM, esmort said:

^^^This... if he misses on a top 3 pick he needs to feel the heat. 

Do you honestly feel that he would not feel his own disappointment more than anyone else could say of him? NFL GM's are driven men. Whatever we say, think or feel doesn't hold a candle to the standards they hold themselves by...jmo. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Do you honestly feel that he would not feel his own disappointment more than anyone else could say of him? NFL GM's are driven men. Whatever we say, think or feel doesn't hold a candle to the standards they hold themselves by...jmo. 

I don't care how bad he feels himself. When you are in a position like GM you need to hear the criticism and if it's constructive he may need to reevaluate your thinking on some things.