MTC

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

In one offseason, our feared 4th down army loses 2/3 of its members

Yeah. It won't hurt us tremendously, but we will notice a different. I just hope the mistakes(high balls from the long snapper and not perfect holds), come at a time early in the season/game where it wont hurt us too much. 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

FYI, Overton's salary cap hit was a mere 900,000 with ZERO dead money this year. Matter of fact, all the guys cut, none of them had any dead money,  total savings arent gonna be huge but should be 3-5 million

and........ counting those movies, plus our UDFA's, we're sitting roughly around 20 million under the cap still (per OTC).  That does NOT include the 5-7 million to sign the draft picks, so expect that final number to be around 13-15 million under the cap for those that care for the season coming up

Most likely the cuts where to open up roster space for UDFA's.  

That said I don't understand the logic behind cutting Overton.  I mean I know his job isn't much but he never screwed it up and at only 900k cap hit I don't understand the point.  

Not likely to be a big deal though.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Who is the new Long Snapper on the roster? There is no one listed as LS so which player will take over?

Swoope or some other player? I dont know who on the team was a LS in college or pros

Thomas Hennessey from Duke.

Just now, TDewar1987 said:

I wonder if Matt will pursue a career in law enforcement? I know he is significantly involved in the LEO community.

Well that would be a huge paycut but I am sure someone will sign a solid LS.  We signed Thomas Hennessy as an UDFA so maybe he is the one Ballard likes to take over but that is a reach

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Most likely the cuts where to open up roster space for UDFA's.  

That said I don't understand the logic behind cutting Overton.  I mean I know his job isn't much but he never screwed it up and at only 900k cap hit I don't understand the point.  

Not likely to be a big deal though.

my guess is Ballard's commitment to lowering the age of the roster.  Honestly, I see Adam V going next year, whether he retires or is released remains to be seen

I wonder if Overton being cut had anything to do with his desire to be an officer? He is almost 32 and the age cut off for most departments is 35 at the start of the academy. It takes about a year to get hired and start an academy. Just food for thought. Not to mention being able to get enough time in to retire from LEO work.

http://www.nflplayerengagement.com/next/articles/matt-overton/

Again, Ballard plays no games. As I said before, he has no loyalty to any Grigson guys besides Luck or Hilton. He's re-shaping this entire team, including the scouting department.

Dint be surprised if Grigson projects like Jackson, McGill, Bray, etc... don't make the final 53. Overton was a shock but he's easily replaceable. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Again, Ballard plays no games. As I said before, he has no loyalty to any Grigson guys besides Luck or Hilton. He's re-shaping this entire team, including the scouting department.

Dint be surprised if Grigson projects like Jackson, McGill, Bray, etc... don't make the final 53. Overton was a shock but he's easily replaceable. 

I was surprised that Bray was resigned

I wasn't expecting Overton to be cut. But Pagano said something in his pre-draft interview with Bob Lamey that caught my ear. Jeff Locke, the new punter they signed, is a lefty punter. Pagano said that would be something new for the division, which is true. (The Pats also have a lefty punter. When the Colts played them in the AFCCG, they brought in a lefty that week for practice.) 

I would imagine that Locke likes a certain kind of long snapper. Maybe Overton couldn't spin the ball the way Locke needs it. Pure speculation on my part, by the way.

As for AV, the holder is more important than the snapper. Not that the snapper isn't important, but he already had a huge adjustment once McAfee left. The snapper is minor, in comparison. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wasn't expecting Overton to be cut. But Pagano said something in his pre-draft interview with Bob Lamey that caught my ear. Jeff Locke, the new punter they signed, is a lefty punter. Pagano said that would be something new for the division, which is true. (The Pats also have a lefty punter. When the Colts played them in the AFCCG, they brought in a lefty that week for practice.) 

I would imagine that Locke likes a certain kind of long snapper. Maybe Overton couldn't spin the ball the way Locke needs it. Pure speculation on my part, by the way.

As for AV, the holder is more important than the snapper. Not that the snapper isn't important, but he already had a huge adjustment once McAfee left. The snapper is minor, in comparison. 

Nicely put

I was thinking about Locke doing holding duties, wasn't he the one that had the laces facing the kicker during that Seattle game in the playoffs where Blair Walsh  missed that kick? 

Every holder does it, but that's all I remember Locke from haha!!!

Surprised to see Overton go but this what a new GM does.  He brings in his own guys.  I believe it was Grigson who cut Justin Snow who was really good for Matt Overton in the first place, although that might have happened in Polian's final year.

This is the first move by Ballard that is a real head scratcher to me....

Why cut Overton now?     What's the reason?      What's the upside?

A proven high level performer at an under-rated position.......   

Hmmmm......      :scratch:            :dunno:

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is the first move by Ballard that is a real head scratcher to me....

Why cut Overtone now?     What's the reason?      What's the upside?

A proven high level performer at an under-rated position.......   

Hmmmm......      :scratch:            :dunno:

can't say i dont feel the same way. unless he's trying to pull a late trade for someone big and needs every single dime, I just dont get it either:scratch:

The rubber has met the road.... Competition is the WORD. Steel sharpens steel. Players and Coaches alike.

Pagano... has his work cut out. He can do it, but will he??? This is not a popularity contest, just ask Bellichek. Fans holds teams accountable because of their emotional attachment to being a winner.

Somebody has to be the Sheriff after Peyton left town. There is a vacuum which Ballard is filling. My only warning to Ballard is to make sure he has Irsay's 1000% support. In management it is called Managing the Boss.

55 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It can be 

This is the reason I moved from C to G

I'm not seeing how the snap to a punter is any different.  I mean, I could see this being a difference if your "kicker" was left footed, but to a punter, the difference is all post snap, purely on the punter himself. 

People talk about Grigson as the man to blame.

Okay, he signed some of the players who have been cut. 

But those guys he signed, Pagano must have had a saying in signing those players.

It´s Paganos job to coach this team, Grigson could´t coach them, so as much as people blame Grigson for those players to not perform, its more Paganos fault.

By cutting so many players and signing many new ones, CB sends a message to the whole coaching staff as well.

No one is safe, not Hilton nor Luck... 

As Ballard said over and over again at his introduction, It´s not about one GUY, it´s about the team. It´s always about the team.

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I'm not seeing how the snap to a punter is any different.  I mean, I could see this being a difference if your "kicker" was left footed, but to a punter, the difference is all post snap, purely on the punter himself. 

It is how they catch the snap

6 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I was shocked to see Overton on the list.  He was such a great player and class act.  He did a lot for the community too.  He will be missed!

A ton of things for kids and Make A Wish....sorry to see him go.

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is how they catch the snap

Still not seeing it.  Snap to the breadbasket, punter uses both hands to secure it.   Once secured, that's where things change, as the punter now leads with a different foot and he's exposed to the left side of the OL instead of the right side.

Just now, rockywoj said:

Still not seeing it.  Snap to the breadbasket, punter uses both hands to secure it.   Once secured, that's where things change, as the punter now leads with a different foot and he's exposed to the left side of the OL instead of the right side.

Yes but they need the laces a certain way

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Would that be any different?

As a lefty punter and kicker for 4 years varsity(lol), it does make a difference.  

Not to mention that every long snapper has small differences in their technique. It could simply be that our new punter prefers how the new guy snaps to what he's seen from Overton 

really the only reason I can think of by letting overton go is maybe he wants guys to do more than one thing maybe thinks he could get a guy thats comparable but also contribute somewhere else that way

you dont have a guy taking up a roster spot by just playing LS for us