Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Who do you want to be our next GM?

stitches

Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?   

236 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?

• Jimmy Raye III - Colts VP of football operations
    • Trent Kirchner, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Scott Fitterer, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Eric DeCosta, Ravens assistant general manager
    • Eliot Wolf, Packers director of football operations
    • George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager
    • Chris Ballard, Chiefs director of football operations

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Superman said:

My preference, in order:

1) Paton (the Vikings have drafted a lot of my favorite prospects)

2) Ballard (can't argue with that defense, and maybe he brings Eric Berry?)

3) Kirchner (has more experience than Fitterer)

4) Fitterer (still a good candidate with good background)

5) Wolf (YOUNG)

6) Raye (least attractive option, would probably be at the bottom of the list if there were 30 candidates)

This is not a bad list, at all, by the way. My only gripe is that DeCosta isn't on it. Not excited by Raye, but more willing to give him a chance than most.

Hey! That's My list- except flip flop #1 and #2 !!

1) Ballard     

2) Paton        

3) Kirchner  

4) Fitterer    

5) Wolf          

6) Raye       

DeCosta would be my #1, but I had a feeling he'd decline once again.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Good idea with the chart, but...

Bridgewater, Waynes, Hunter, Clemmings and Treadwell should all be projected starters, IMO. I get Bridgewater being held back due to injury, but the others are anticipated to be part of the Vikings core.

I think you can include Gerald Hodges as a starter. Wasn't he a starting LB for the 49ers this past season? 

I get the sense that Paton is going to the 49ers. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think you can include Gerald Hodges as a starter. Wasn't he a starting LB for the 49ers this past season? 

I felt that way until he accepted an interview with the Colts. He might be leveraging his position with the Niners, but if they've communicated anything to him, I would think he'd just sit tight until they make their decisions final. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If Paton has his choice it won't be to the 49ers

3 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Seems lateral to me. They haven't been much more successful than us since Grigano came around. With a better roster. Not just 2 games. I just prefer the guy coming in to have a ring that's all. 

How many former patriot coaches and front office personnel who had SB rings went on to other teams only to fail in a comedic way?

Let me answer that...so many that it's actually become a legitimate stigma on all future patriot coaches and FO men.  

5 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

If Paton has his choice it won't be to the 49ers

You may be right, but he is from California and he'll probably be working with the hottest young coach in Shanahan.  Those are pros on the side of the 49ers. But the Colts have Andrew, which makes this situation better. 

I don't have a vote but if I did, I would vote anyone but Paton. :P

It's tough, I don't know any of these guys.  Nor do I feel qualified to examine their worth as GM's.  But if I'm going by just "buzz" that I read from respected guys around the NFL, DeCosta, who is out now, or Ballard seem the most viable, with Wolf maybe coming in third on that list, although he just re-upped with GB.  But the reality is we all won't really know about this hire until a good 2-3 years into it.

I don't onow enough about any of them really to make an educated choice.  i do like hearing it is basically a "who's who" of candidates.

hearing these guys are very excited about the job is great as well.

the timing might be good too as only the 49Ers are looking.

I will give credit to Jim as it sounds like he is taking all the steps necessary.

Jim might make quick, rash decisions buying guitars and drum kits, but when it comes to the Colts, he's much more calculating thankfully.

It's a very good list... I know that San Fran really wanted Ballard. 

I chose Ballard as well, because he is known to be "connected" per multiple reports. He should be able to assemble a scouting team quickly with well respected guys from around the league. 

I'm not as down on Chuck as most fans, but I have to assume that, if 2017 HC is a sticking point in negotiations, Irsay will acquiesce on that.

It isn't easy to evaluate first-time GM candidates at all, especially for fans. Most of what I've read would indicate that it's a perfect time for Irsay to make a change, though... There are a number of very strong candidates and no real competition for them. Next year, most of the guys on our short list will probably be given GM jobs somewhere else in the league. 

17 hours ago, Superman said:

My preference, in order:

1) Paton (the Vikings have drafted a lot of my favorite prospects)

2) Ballard (can't argue with that defense, and maybe he brings Eric Berry?)

3) Kirchner (has more experience than Fitterer)

4) Fitterer (still a good candidate with good background)

5) Wolf (YOUNG)

6) Raye (least attractive option, would probably be at the bottom of the list if there were 30 candidates)

This is not a bad list, at all, by the way. My only gripe is that DeCosta isn't on it. Not excited by Raye, but more willing to give him a chance than most.

I like this list, I could flip Ballard and Patton depending on my mood.

6 hours ago, bap1331 said:

because coaches dont win unless they have the talent around them?http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg

7 people liked my post that you quoted and disagree with. Nobody will like your post, because it lacks common sense.  What a dumb argument. 

Just because there's talent, doesn't mean the coach will take that team to the superbowl. 

14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

7 people liked my post that you quoted and disagree with. Nobody will like your post, because it lacks common sense.  What a dumb argument. 

Just because there's talent, doesn't mean the coach will take that team to the superbowl. 

Well said. 

I'm a fan of Ballard and Paton. Both have contributed to great personnel moves in their respected organizations. But I'm surprised Elliot wolf is only at 10%!?! I mean talk about a young prodigy, son of a hall of famer to the same craft, he's breed for this. Of course he probably could wait it out in green bay and get there GM job but who knows how long that'll take. If he's chompping at the bit, ready to take control of his own franchise I welcome him with open arms. With these 3 plus the Seattle squad, I pray we dont go with jimmy raye III. I know Ryan had the final say in everything, doesn't mean jimmy Raye wasn't consulting with him. Sure I bet they disagreed sometimes and Ryan might have just ignored some of Jimmy's opinions, but I really doubt that the exec of football operations doesn't have a single finger print on this laughing stock of a roster. I really don't even care what his resume looks like be4 indi, becuz since he's been here he hasn't done a thing to help this team succeed. 

48 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I'm a fan of Ballard and Paton. Both have contributed to great personnel moves in their respected organizations. But I'm surprised Elliot wolf is only at 10%!?! I mean talk about a young prodigy, son of a hall of famer to the same craft, he's breed for this. Of course he probably could wait it out in green bay and get there GM job but who knows how long that'll take. If he's chompping at the bit, ready to take control of his own franchise I welcome him with open arms. With these 3 plus the Seattle squad, I pray we dont go with jimmy raye III. I know Ryan had the final say in everything, doesn't mean jimmy Raye wasn't consulting with him. Sure I bet they disagreed sometimes and Ryan might have just ignored some of Jimmy's opinions, but I really doubt that the exec of football operations doesn't have a single finger print on this laughing stock of a roster. I really don't even care what his resume looks like be4 indi, becuz since he's been here he hasn't done a thing to help this team succeed. 

I think the main issue people have with Elliot is his age. Some fans also might be scared away by the idea of a son-prodigy type GM after what happened with Chris Polian.

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

I think the main issue people have with Elliot is his age. Some fans also might be scared away by the idea of a son-prodigy type GM after what happened with Chris Polian.

I would also be concerned because of the ego that can come with that and seeing how poorly an egomaniac like Grigson worked with others. I would also like someone with a longer period of experience.

I voted Ballard and stick with that vote based upon what I've read.  It's an impressive list of candidates and as someone mentioned, they have agreed to be interviewed and apparently not put off that Pagano will be the HC in 2017.

But, if Paton gets the job, just imagine some of the marketing opportunities...Colts GM "General" George Paton!!  Remember the last time Indiana had a General?  Just having a little fun after I saw the names and instantly this image came to mind.

300px-Patton.jpg

c553f0d1a46d6771de7a71e46cfb9084.jpg

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

all I can say is...don't bother. :rock: