Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Who do you want to be our next GM?

stitches

Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?   

236 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?

• Jimmy Raye III - Colts VP of football operations
    • Trent Kirchner, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Scott Fitterer, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Eric DeCosta, Ravens assistant general manager
    • Eliot Wolf, Packers director of football operations
    • George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager
    • Chris Ballard, Chiefs director of football operations

I thought I'd make a poll with the names of the people that have surfaced as candidates for the job so far. You can also post your rankings here.

Here are the names that the Colts have requested interviews with(some might not accept but still... )

- Jimmie Ray III - Colts VP of football operations 

- Trent Kirchner, Seahawks co-director of player personnel

- Scott Fitterer, Seahawks co-director of player personnel

- Eric DeCosta, Baltimore Ravens assistant general manager

- George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager

- Eliot Wolf, Packers director of football operations

- Chris Ballard, Chiefs director of football operations

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's intriguing to me is that, despite forum misgivings and the stain of guilt by association to Grigson, J Raye III may actually be the most qualified and accomplished candidate on the menu if you look at the whole body of work.  That would include credit for elevated football operation administration elements of the last 4 years.

I'm not suggesting that he is the best fit for the Colts today, that entails many factors we can never account for. Eliott Wolf may be a prodigy, Ballard may be a stud level 5 leader, the Seattle boys may have the best vision for assembling a defense....who really knows?  But, at the end of the day if J Raye III gets the job, nobody can really argue about the readiness of his qualifications.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

We shouldn't hire Ballard, he has five kids. Grigson had five kids when we hired him. He's just going to be another Grigson.

Yes, and he also has a stubble, just like Grigson... Coincidence? I think not. Stay away!

d1b2c24d738074e2cee858e84091519c-origina

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

What's intriguing to me is that, despite forum misgivings and the stain of guilt by association to Grigson, J Raye III may actually be the most qualified and accomplished candidate on the menu if you look at the whole body of work.  That would include credit for elevated football operation administration elements of the last 4 years.

I'm not suggesting that he is the best fit for the Colts today, that entails many factors we can never account for. Eliott Wolf may be a prodigy, Ballard may be a stud level 5 leader, the Seattle boys may have the best vision for assembling a defense....who really knows?  But, at the end of the day if J Raye III gets the job, nobody can really argue about the readiness of his qualifications.

Really hard to argue with his qualifications. There's a reason he's been considered for other jobs over the last four years. The only negative factor is the Grigson Stink. Wholesale change would be much easier to get behind at this point.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

DeCosta is out now.

Did he decline or does Indy not want to interview him anymore? If it's the latter that'd be a huge mistake. Why limit the amount of interviews you have if this job is highly sought after?

And I'd like to see Irsay be a little patient and see if Nick Caserio from NE will interview.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

DeCosta is out now.

From Baltimore Sun:

Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta not on Colts' interview list

Giving his history, it shouldn't be surprising that Eric DeCosta is focused on his work with the Ravens.

Highly-respected Ravens executive Eric DeCosta won't be interviewing for the Indianapolis Colts' general manager opening. 

The Colts put out a list of six executives that the organization will interview for its vacancy and DeCosta was not included. According to the team, its next general manager will come from that list of six. 

What isn't clear is whether DeCosta turned down an opportunity to interview or the Colts never officially asked for permission to interview Ozzie Newsome's long-time lieutenant. Sports Illustrated's Monday Morning Quarterback reported Monday that the Colts wanted to interview DeCosta...

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Did he decline or does Indy not want to interview him anymore? If it's the latter that'd be a huge mistake. Why limit the amount of interviews you have if this job is highly sought after?

DeCosta turns down every interview request.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Don't know, but if history is any indication, he declined. He pulled out of the running for the Seattle job in 2010, and I don't think he's interviewed since then. Reports say the Colts requested to interview him in 2012 and just yesterday, but he declined in 2012, and it looks like he declined this time also. 

Just now, Dustin said:

DeCosta turns down every interview request.

I'm not understanding why he would turn it down. This is a great opportunity since he'd already have his young franchise QB in place with plenty of cap room and a stable franchise. Newsome might stay on as GM for another 8 years for all we know.

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

My top 3, in no particular order: Kirchner, Fitterer, and Paton. Why? Defense. Both the Seahawks and the Vikings have top notch defenses, and we need help building ours. So why not bring in a GM who has previously had a hand in building a young, talented defense.

I totally agree when was the last time we had a good defense 2005 maybe. So yes I like those candidates. 

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm not understanding why he would turn it down. This is a great opportunity since he'd already have his young franchise QB in place with plenty of cap room and a stable franchise. Newsome might stay on as GM for another 8 years for all we know.

Because he's comfortable in Baltimore, probably already makes more money than the majority of GMs in the league, and is already basically guaranteed the Baltimore GM job within the next few years.

Excerpt From MMQB: 

THU DEC. 15, 2016

The General Manager Short List for 2017

Chiefs VP of player personnel Chris Ballard: Kansas City’s continued success only enhanced the candidacy of an exec who’s been on the cusp for some time. Bonus to hiring him: Widely held belief he’d swiftly assemble a robust scouting staff.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer: The former college director was promoted last year. And while he’s still on the road plenty, the change has given him experience in pro scouting and an office setting. His résumé = Seattle’s roster.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner: He was promoted from pro director when Fitterer was, and has since gotten more experience on the college side. He’s interviewed with the Jets and Lions the last two years.

Vikings assistant GM George Paton: Like Ballard, he’s been in the mix for a number of jobs—he was one of two finalists for the Rams post in 2012—and has helped build a proven winner. Minnesota’s rash of injuries has only highlighted that.

Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf: Once Seattle’s John Schneider signed his extension, the assumption became that Wolf would succeed Thompson in Green Bay, maybe very soon. The rumor mill has also tied him to the Niners.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017

My preference, in order:

1) Paton (the Vikings have drafted a lot of my favorite prospects)

2) Ballard (can't argue with that defense, and maybe he brings Eric Berry?)

3) Kirchner (has more experience than Fitterer)

4) Fitterer (still a good candidate with good background)

5) Wolf (YOUNG)

6) Raye (least attractive option, would probably be at the bottom of the list if there were 30 candidates)

This is not a bad list, at all, by the way. My only gripe is that DeCosta isn't on it. Not excited by Raye, but more willing to give him a chance than most.

Over the past hour or so, I have been trying to watch any videos / interviews of the candidates.

Just based on my observations, I have to admit I like what I see from Wolf. Seems to have a certain confidence. Even though he is young, I get the impression he would immediately take full control of the entire operation. 

Oh boy I fear for the reaction of the board if Irsay goes with Raye after this list comes out. I'll give the guy a chance but no doubt there are some great names on this list.

Really like Paton. He's helped build a solid young and talented defense in Minny. Like Ballard a lot too. KC has solid players all over their roster. I can get behind those too.

Wolf would be a great option too. He's smart and young, and perhaps fresh eyes is what this franchise needs to build a contender. He probably doesn't leave Green Bay though, I've read he's essentially gonna take over Ted's job when he's done.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I picked Ballard. 

But honestly I'd be a happy camper with: Fitterer, Paton, or Decosta.

Not sure how long Ballard has been with the KC, One things For sure, a lack of talent isn't what this team has. If you go through their entire roster, they have like 2 beast at every position, including CB,DLINE, LBs,SAFETY, WR, RB, Ok u get my point. If our team was stacked like KC is, with a QB named Luck. Boyyyy we would be scary to play against. KC might even have as much or more talent than the two teams in the Superbowl (Falcons, Pats), outside of the QB position.

What I'm saying, minus the QB position!, I personally would take KC roster and trade with ours jbh.

Really like Ballard, but would be okay with anybody other than Raye. I know it's not fair to the guy because he could do a great job, but I still feel a clean slate is worth more. 

Best part is that they all (other than Raye) have had a hand in putting together a solid/amazing defense.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Really hard to argue with his qualifications. There's a reason he's been considered for other jobs over the last four years. The only negative factor is the Grigson Stink. Wholesale change would be much easier to get behind at this point.

I'm ready to go outside for certain.  It's a better path to better coaching....and you already know that's what I want.

I'd say it's a better path to the extent that there is elevated confidence around the league in coaching prospects that everybody is getting a fresh start with a fresh vision.

I voted for Jimmy Raye...felt like he deserves at least one vote. I realize someone from the outside is always going to be more exciting and that him being on Grigson's staff isn't attractive. However, Jimmy (along with the other candidates) haven't been the decision makers. All of these guys have been on staffs that have made some good moves and some bad moves.

I really like Ballard though based on what I have been able to read about him. I like the fact that he hasn't just been with one franchise or one GM. He had a lot of experience in Chicago and then went to Kansas City to work with John Dorsey who came from Green Bay.

I'm going to be optimistic no matter who Jim hires from the list.