Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Who do you want to be our next GM?

stitches

Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?   

236 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be the Colts next GM?

• Jimmy Raye III - Colts VP of football operations
    • Trent Kirchner, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Scott Fitterer, Seahawks co-director of player personnel
    • Eric DeCosta, Ravens assistant general manager
    • Eliot Wolf, Packers director of football operations
    • George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager
    • Chris Ballard, Chiefs director of football operations

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I voted for Jimmy Raye...felt like he deserves at least one vote. I realize someone from the outside is always going to be more exciting and that him being on Grigson's staff isn't attractive. However, Jimmy (along with the other candidates) haven't been the decision makers. All of these guys have been on staffs that have made some good moves and some bad moves.

I really like Ballard though based on what I have been able to read about him. I like the fact that he hasn't just been with one franchise or one GM. He had a lot of experience in Chicago and then went to Kansas City to work with John Dorsey who came from Green Bay.

I'm going to be optimistic no matter who Jim hires from the list.

so you gave Jimmy a participation trophy? :lol:  

that being said, I too will be optimistic as I trust Jim Irsay to do the best thing he feels for the Colts.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Not sure how long Ballard has been with the KC, One things For sure, a lack of talent isn't what this team has. If you go through their entire roster, they have like 2 beast at every position, including CB,DLINE, LBs,SAFETY, WR, RB, Ok u get my point. If our team was stacked like KC is, with a QB named Luck. Boyyyy we would be scary to play against. KC might even have as much or more talent than the two teams in the Superbowl (Falcons, Pats), outside of the QB position.

What I'm saying, minus the QB position!, I personally would take KC roster and trade with ours jbh.

Ballard spent 12 years with the Bears and then went to Kansas City in 2013.  Pretty solid candidate.

I voted for Ballard.  I like his long history in two different organizations in multiple roles and still finding players or at least assisting in finding players.  I think that he would build a very strong roster through FA and draft.

I do like Raye's past history with San Diego though.  I would be willing to give him a shot as I think that he can identify talent.

40 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I voted for Jimmy Raye...felt like he deserves at least one vote. I realize someone from the outside is always going to be more exciting and that him being on Grigson's staff isn't attractive. However, Jimmy (along with the other candidates) haven't been the decision makers. All of these guys have been on staffs that have made some good moves and some bad moves.

I really like Ballard though based on what I have been able to read about him. I like the fact that he hasn't just been with one franchise or one GM. He had a lot of experience in Chicago and then went to Kansas City to work with John Dorsey who came from Green Bay.

I'm going to be optimistic no matter who Jim hires from the list.

I really like raye as a candidate as well, but the way I see it, we arent losing him if we dont pick him. Hes still our vp operations. Put him together with one of these other candidates and we could build something special. 

Folks, Raye will still be here even if he doesn't get the GM role, so I don't see how hiring an outside candidate wouldn't make more sense than promoting Raye.

The only way I see it making sense to promote Raye is if Peyton is for sure brought into the front office and will eventually take over.

My preferences are.

1. Raye - Continuity

2. Ballard - KC's been doing pretty good

3. Wolfe - I like how the Packers run things.  Not a ton of spending in FA.

I don't really like the seahawks guys.  They just got promoted to their positions.  Nor do I like the Vikings guy.  The vikings have not really been that good overall.  They do have a good defense but that's about it.  

Count me out. I can't even decide who the MVP should be this year, and I can see just about all of the contenders' work. So how the heck am I supposed to pick a GM, whose body of work is shrouded in mystery?

Ok, if I'm forced to pick.......the guy from the Packers. He's got a cool name.

Fitterer without a doubt. Compare his teams success to the other candidates. Seahawks have been consistent every year since 2012 and the vision of having a defense like the Seahawks would just be scary...plus they would make up for Lucks mistakes. LOL!

Chiefs...eh. Ballard would be a poor mans choice. Chiefs are good but not Super Bowl good. Just enough to make the playoffs good.

4 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Fitterer without a doubt. Compare his teams success to the other candidates. Seahawks have been consistent every year since 2012 and the vision of having a defense like the Seahawks would just be scary...plus they would make up for Lucks mistakes. LOL!

Chiefs...eh. Ballard would be a poor mans choice. Chiefs are good but not Super Bowl good. Just enough to make the playoffs good.

The only reason why they are not Super Bowl good is the QB though.  The rest of that team is loaded.  That will not be a problem here.

7 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Don't think it's his fault for having a scary qb who doesn't throw deep..or an Oc who doesn't know how to scheme people better haha

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Folks, Raye will still be here even if he doesn't get the GM role, so I don't see how hiring an outside candidate wouldn't make more sense than promoting Raye.

The only way I see it making sense to promote Raye is if Peyton is for sure brought into the front office and will eventually take over.

Not really.. Recent colts and chargers history: when sd gm spot became available (2012 i believe) jimmy was still with the chargers and interviewed for gm.. When they decided to hire tom telesco from the colts,  jimmy decided to leave sd for indy, for same job, even though telesco said he wanted him to stay in sd as vp of football operations.. Or something like that.. 

So if he gets passed upon for the in-house promotion for the second time, he could leave again.. 

I'm a fan of Paton or Ballard. Out of curiousity, I put together a recent draft history for both compared to Grigson. Players in bold are projected starters in 2017 (based on some very quick, non-thorough research).

Edit: I also stopped after the 5th round in the interest of time.

Draft.JPG

The only reason why they are not Super Bowl good is the QB though.  The rest of that team is loaded.  That will not be a problem here.

Sorry but need i remind you that luck came back 45 points to beat the chiefs defense lol. I think i prefer a seahawks defense.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

I voted Ballard but I'd be pretty ecstatic with any of these guys besides Raye. Not that I don't think he's a decent candidate, he's just the least exciting to me. Wolf doesn't excite me as much either but I'd be happy with him, for some reason I think he's the most likely to get it behind Raye and Ballard.

Part of me not wanting Raye III for GM is selfishly wanting him to stay on in his current role though. Getting one of these guys and having Raye III? Great.

12 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Sorry but need i remind you that luck came back 45 points to beat the chiefs defense lol. I think i prefer a seahawks defense.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

Ballard also had a hand in building those great defenses in Chicago with Urlacher and those guys.  Fitterer and Ballard only find the players, it takes the coaches to put them in position to succeed.  Just because you hire Fitterer does not equal the Seattle defense.  I prefer Ballard and Patton because they have contributed in multiple roles for different organizations.  By the way, KC had the seventh best scoring defense this year in the entire NFL, (1.2 points per game behind Seattle).  What game are you referring to? The Colts got smoked by the Chiefs this year.

4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I prefer my candidates to have actually won something  . Chiefs don't impress me much . I'm liking the Seahawks guys because of that and their ability to build a defense. 

None of these guys have ever been a gm.  None of them have won anything

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I prefer my candidates to have actually won something  . Chiefs don't impress me much . I'm liking the Seahawks guys because of that and their ability to build a defense. 

Fitterer and Kirchner haven't one jack on their "own" though.  You want to include all front office then Ballard won a Super Bowl in Chicago while a member of the Bears organization. 

Just now, Dilger85 said:

Scott Pioli did a bunch of winning in NE with Bill but didn't win in KC so what is your point exactly?  The Seattle guys have won a bunch with Pete but can they do it on their own?

My point is why hire a guy from a team you have pretty much owned and done better than, even with Grigson?

Thank you!! Im so surprised noone voted for the Seahawks guys and everyone prefers ballard. Preposterous!!

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

My point is why hire a guy from a team you have pretty much owned and done better than, even with Grigson?

In my opinion that is a silly way to hire a GM.  Look at the rosters, who has more talent currently? The Chiefs, Seahawks, Vikings, Colts?  Then look at the track record of the guys and then the league wide reputation.  You are really stretching to judge a front office candidate based upon a teams W-L.

JMV sounds like he is leaning in the direction that it won't be Raye III, says after talking to some people last night, he has changed from thinking it would be Raye III, to thinking it will be someone from outside, leaning towards Ballard.   That might be solid info, but Ballard is also the only one interviewed thus far, other than maybe Raye !!!.......  

Sent from my SM-G935T *

Ballard also had a hand in building those great defenses in Chicago with Urlacher and those guys.  Fitterer and Ballard only find the players, it takes the coaches to put them in position to succeed.  Just because you hire Fitterer does not equal the Seattle defense.  I prefer Ballard and Patton because they have contributed in multiple roles for different organizations.  By the way, KC had the seventh best scoring defense this year in the entire NFL, (1.2 points per game behind Seattle).  What game are you referring to? The Colts got smoked by the Chiefs this year.

Wait, so they not only got smoked by the chiefs with luck but then you bring up the bears where manning smoked them in the Super Bowl? Lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Your razzing me and you don't know the Bears haven't won anything since 85, lol. 

I am not razzing you, I just do not agree with you.  You have a very black and white definition of winning anything though.  Super Bowl or nothing?  I recalled incorrectly, it happens.  I thought they won with Rex Grossman but it must have just been the NFC Championship.