Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex Ryan for DC? [Merge]

C0lts088

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if he took another coaching job. He probably can get a television gig lined up and do that. Not the worst hire that's been thrown out there for a DC though, people forget how well he did in New York even right until the end with that defense. Buffalo wasn't even a disaster, just not good enough to make the playoffs. If nothing else, he would inject some toughness and attitude to our defense, give them a sense of identity and confidence. I would take him on as a coordinator, just don't think he will want to coach again.

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I certainly don't want him as a head coach. In fact, I don't think I would want him as a defensive coordinator. I think he is overrated.

@AR7 Rex Ryan is "overrated" as a DC? How long have you been watching American football? Have you not seen what Rex has done w/ NY JETS? what about the Ravens? Or recently NY BILLS? 

If u say, "in Baltimore Rex had plenty of talent". Then OK. But he continued this with the JETS, and with the BILLS.

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I certainly don't want him as a head coach. In fact, I don't think I would want him as a defensive coordinator. I think he is overrated.

@AR7 Rex Ryan is "overrated" as a DC? How long have you been watching American football? Have you not seen what Rex has done w/ NY JETS? what about the Ravens? Or recently NY BILLS? 

If u say, "in Baltimore Rex had plenty of talent". Then OK. But he continued this with the JETS, and with the BILLS.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Rex Ryan is known for his bravado and not his coaching. Sorry you question how long I have been watching football just because I don't buy the hype behind Ryan. He is a salesman/cheerleader type of coach...he is not some defensive mastermind. 

Baltimore had a good defense before Rex Ryan and a good defense after he left. The Jets defense was not good his last couple of years but improved right after Ryan left. The Bills had one of the better defenses in the league the year before Ryan went to Buffalo but have been average while he was their coach.

So yes, I absolutely think the guy is overrated. He is a loudmouth so he gets a lot of attention but that doesn't make him a great coach/coordinator in my book. I prefer coaches who are known for their ability to teach and strategize...not what they say to the media.

I would at least investigate it.  I don't think it would be any worse than what we currently have and I would welcome the change of attitude on the sideline.  I don't see Rex as being the kind to clap and say "we'll get'em next time" to a player when they screw up.  He would get in their grill.  I think this is needed.