Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let us be honest.

AKB

Firstly, this Oakland game has been no surprise, it has only highlighted yet again why the colts are a .500 team. When it comes to facing an opponent with an obvious advantage on either the offensive or defensive line we will not win.

Without consistency on the offensive line, injuries or not, we will not ever be consistent running the ball. And if there is no consistency running the ball it makes our offense too predictable. We also love to force players onto the field for some reason, regardless of their production. (Dwayne Allen, Josh Ferguson, Joe Reitz). This team does not have a very competitive nature in and of itself. This makes sense, considering we are on of the most depth deprived teams in the entire league. However, the offense is not far off. If we draft a RB early, Clark solidifies RT, and we find a RG our offense will be set. 

On the defensive side I will admit that we have been injured frequently. The defense also has the same problem as the Offense. A lack of depth. Period. Our defensive line has been the most obvious unit, and to my surprise. Many thought this would be a strength of our defense; when in fact they have let us down consistently. We struggle with speedy backs because we have no athleticism on the defensive line, and outside of Pound Cake we have no speed at ILB or OLB, We again force players onto the field who do not deserve to be on the field. A lot of this has to do with not having any players to put out there (Grigson), but regardless of anything there is no reason Mathis should have gotten nearly as many snaps as he has gotten; your credentials mean nothing if you cannot play today. We can talk all day about who else we should put there, and there will be those who blame the depth behind mathis. However, regardless of if this lies on grigson or not, the coaching staff repeatedly put someone on the field who was not performing. I won't harp too much on the defensive backs because we don't have any. We have a waiver wire corner playing #2 and an udfa playing slot.

In short, Offensive and Defensive lines win games.

We need to invest in our lines, and a rb, and a real #2 cb.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Firstly, this Oakland game has been no surprise, it has only highlighted yet again why the colts are a .500 team. When it comes to facing an opponent with an obvious advantage on either the offensive or defensive line we will not win.

Without consistency on the offensive line, injuries or not, we will not ever be consistent running the ball. And if there is no consistency running the ball it makes our offense too predictable. We also love to force players onto the field for some reason, regardless of their production. (Dwayne Allen, Josh Ferguson, Joe Reitz). This team does not have a very competitive nature in and of itself. This makes sense, considering we are on of the most depth deprived teams in the entire league. However, the offense is not far off. If we draft a RB early, Clark solidifies RT, and we find a RG our offense will be set. 

On the defensive side I will admit that we have been injured frequently. The defense also has the same problem as the Offense. A lack of depth. Period. Our defensive line has been the most obvious unit, and to my surprise. Many thought this would be a strength of our defense; when in fact they have let us down consistently. We struggle with speedy backs because we have no athleticism on the defensive line, and outside of Pound Cake we have no speed at ILB or OLB, We again force players onto the field who do not deserve to be on the field. A lot of this has to do with not having any players to put out there (Grigson), but regardless of anything there is no reason Mathis should have gotten nearly as many snaps as he has gotten; your credentials mean nothing if you cannot play today. We can talk all day about who else we should put there, and there will be those who blame the depth behind mathis. However, regardless of if this lies on grigson or not, the coaching staff repeatedly put someone on the field who was not performing. I won't harp too much on the defensive backs because we don't have any. We have a waiver wire corner playing #2 and an udfa playing slot.

This team is pathetic and another fine example on why Chuck and Ryan need to be fired asap.

14 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Honestly, all I want for Christmas is a new coach(es) and GM.  Maybe a few players that will contribute from the draft as a stocking stuffer would be nice too...but reading that Pags and Grigson are gone in tomorrow's newspaper would be the best Christmas present ever.

Hey, Cleveland won a game.  Anything is possible

Said it before, say it again.  

Right now, TODAY, Andrew Luck is not reaching the potential that he should have.  I blame the coaching, the OL, and the GM for not giving him the players to reach his full potential.

He does not deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He needs to get back to what he was.  A QB who can beat you with both the run and the pass.  I really feel the coaches have taken the run away from him, and he doesn't seem to be having the same amount of fun and playing the same way anymore.  And yes I know that he has had a very good year.  But he should be GREAT.

I also put some of the blame on him.  He has not progressed to the level he should have.  He still makes some stupid mistakes, holds the ball, and I don't think he changes the calls nearly enough when he is at the los.

8 minutes ago, jseg18 said:

Andrew put us in tough situations in this game.

Poor decision before the half, but they still had to drive 80 yards in 60 seconds.  Honestly, on those two turnovers, a good defense would have held them to 3.  We gave up 14.

2 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

I love TY, but we need at least one WR that can get yards after the catch. We need to get at least one big strong WR in the off season that can make the catch and be strong enough to break a tackle or two...or at least try to break a tackle without falling down!

I like what Doyle and Allen can do, but we have all that speed at WR but no strength and that hurts us in close games! 

No we need an athletic ILB, a DB, a pass rusher and an offensive linemen. After that get skill players.

Regarding Andrew, he is going to have a few games where he throws a pick or 2, he is trying to make things happen. He isn't perfect. I thought this season he cut way down on the INT's. When you give up 33 points, not much you can do. Overall Andrew had a Good season, it wasn't Very Good or Great but it was much better than Average. Unfortunately as a whole, our team is Average because our Defense cant stop any of the Elite teams from scoring. Carr was shredding us. Just like Matt Stafford did on opening day. We are an 8-8 team until we fix the Defense, just like last season.

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

After 5 years of building the monster, we are no closer to a 1 or 2 seed than when we started.  No one expected Luck to be another Manning but man he is trailing pretty far behind especially in taking control of the offense. 

To me that is the biggest thing.  He is a smart guy.  But wayyyyyy too passive imo.  Manning, as seemingly laid back and nice as he is, had a mean streak and a take charge streak.  If he didn't like a call, he was not afraid to change it at the line.  I mean he was KNOWN for that.   Luck very rarely audibles.

Luck needs to get that if he is ever to achieve greatness.

If anything, the team has too much depth.

Yes, I said it first. Nobody really that bad, not even Jonotthan Harrison, but nobody all that great either other than 4-5 players, including the special teams players.

What the team needs is less "average" and "slightly below average" depth players but more difference makers. Adding Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins this offseason would be a huge bump. If we overpay, might as well do it; for all Grigson has done in preserving our cap space, it's useless if it leads to no wins and a constant "wait till next year" mentality.

For all the depth space we saved with cap-friendly deals to RJF, Laron Landry, Andre Johnson, Trent Cole, etc...we might as well have added a single difference maker.

4 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Yes, I said it first. Nobody really that bad, not even Jonotthan Harrison, but nobody all that great either other than 4-5 players, including the special teams players.

What the team needs is less "average" and "slightly below average" depth players but more difference makers. Adding Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins this offseason would be a huge bump. If we overpay, might as well do it; for all Grigson has done in preserving our cap space, it's useless if it leads to no wins and a constant "wait till next year" mentality.

For all the depth space we saved with cap-friendly deals to RJF, Laron Landry, Andre Johnson, Trent Cole, etc...we might as well have added a single difference maker.

Looking at those names at the end sent chills down my spine with their lousy playing.

14 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

After 5 years of building the monster, we are no closer to a 1 or 2 seed than when we started.  No one expected Luck to be another Manning but man he is trailing pretty far behind especially in taking control of the offense. 

Exactly. Doormat teams from just a couple of years ago like Oak and Tenn have surpassed us when we got the best qb in the draft in years along with having several years of huge $$$ to throw around and yet we're still stuck in rebuild mode.

Also how do we finish essentially with the same record as last year WITH LUCK.

Can't blame injuries because #12 is the biggest injury you can't afford and he's been here all year.

We do need OLB. But we also need a true nose tackle and some beef in the middle if we are going to run this 3-4. 

They keep trying to run this hybrid defense, and due to the lack of depth we are not finding success. Parry is not big enough to be a nose tackle, he cannot get leverage on the bigger guards of the league. (Tonight's game as a prime example) Anderson is decent when healthy but he is not enough to crash an edge by himself. 

The entire front 7 needs some lovin, I don't want Langford to be our best DLineman next season. I'm excited about the combination of a more mature Morrison and Jackson. We need an OLB who can rush and conver in our zone packages.

And we need a solid #2 Corner so whichever WR is not being covered by vontae can stop feeling like Randy Moss.

11 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

"Raiders = Great example of building around your young QB. Colts = Worst possible example of building around your young QB."

to be fair they were bad for years, and those high picks finally paid off just this year

39 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Said it before, say it again.  

Right now, TODAY, Andrew Luck is not reaching the potential that he should have.  I blame the coaching, the OL, and the GM for not giving him the players to reach his full potential.

He does not deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He needs to get back to what he was.  A QB who can beat you with both the run and the pass.  I really feel the coaches have taken the run away from him, and he doesn't seem to be having the same amount of fun and playing the same way anymore.  And yes I know that he has had a very good year.  But he should be GREAT.

I also put some of the blame on him.  He has not progressed to the level he should have.  He still makes some stupid mistakes, holds the ball, and I don't think he changes the calls nearly enough when he is at the los.

U said "nearly enough" lol I say he doesn't at all whatever chud calls he runs no sliding protecting no calling a hot route he runs that play the way it's designed and called by chud it's not his offense wish he had Todd Haley as oc 

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

We do need OLB. But we also need a true nose tackle and some beef in the middle if we are going to run this 3-4. 

They keep trying to run this hybrid defense, and due to the lack of depth we are not finding success. Parry is not big enough to be a nose tackle, he cannot get leverage on the bigger guards of the league. (Tonight's game as a prime example) Anderson is decent when healthy but he is not enough to crash an edge by himself. 

The entire front 7 needs some lovin, I don't want Langford to be our best DLineman next season. I'm excited about the combination of a more mature Morrison and Jackson. We need an OLB who can rush and conver in our zone packages.

And we need a solid #2 Corner so whichever WR is not being covered by vontae can stop feeling like Randy Moss.

Davis forgot how to chop wood otherwise he wouldn't have tried to catch a tree he would've chopped @ it with his axe haha 

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

to be fair they were bad for years, and those high picks finally paid off just this year

That's not necessarily true. They are doing well because Carr broke out his 3rd year. Teams like Jax and Cleveland have obtained top picks for years and because of poor QB play, they've done nothing. Just like the opposite, we have the QB and nothing around it, but Luck has carried us to winning seasons. It just so happens Oakland has the best of both worlds with a great QB and solid draft picks around him. With just one or the other, they are average at best though.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't see a mention of the awful QB play

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

Honestly, all I want for Christmas is a new coach(es) and GM.  Maybe a few players that will contribute from the draft as a stocking stuffer would be nice too...but reading that Pags and Grigson are gone in tomorrow's newspaper would be the best Christmas present ever.

All I want for Christmas is John Gruden as Head Coach.

We're not that far away. We need to finish building the line. We also need a "Go 2" pass rusher. If the Raiders can go 12-3 with a marginal defense in the AFC West, we definitely can do the same in the AFC South. My problem with the aforementioned is that we shouldn't be building in year 5 of this regime. This should've been handled by now. 

Should we fire Grigson? No. He became greedy from the early success of Luck's career and tried to draft by "win now" standards. He completely forgot about the offensive line and defensive side of the ball. He thought by drafting weapons for Luck, he'd cover for some our deficiencies. Grigson's not doing that anymore. He's drafting to build a team and he's putting together some pieces that show promise. He deserves one more year in the least to continue building this team(albeit it should've been done by now). 

Should we fire Pagano? No. I understand he's suppose to be a defensive guru, but he's never had talent on the defensive side of the ball to be creative. We were able to get creative at times with a healthy Mathis and Davis, but that's just about it(2014. Was top 5 at one point. Finished 13th). He was given older linebackers and regurgitated cornerbacks to work with. He's gotten the most out of this defense considering the shelf of the talent. As far as preparation, it's inconsistent. As far as halftime adjustments, he's excellent. Colts have been for the majority of Pagano's tenure a 2nd half team. Start late, finish strong. He deserves one more year as the Colts HC. We've gotten to the big dance the first 3 years and we've missed it the last two. He's earned ONE more year to guide us to a division win and playoff spot. If we miss it next year, can him. 

1 hour ago, Indy_Mike said:

I love TY, but we need at least one WR that can get yards after the catch. We need to get at least one big strong WR in the off season that can make the catch and be strong enough to break a tackle or two...or at least try to break a tackle without falling down!

I like what Doyle and Allen can do, but we have all that speed at WR but no strength and that hurts us in close games! 

All this speed and no plays to get them yac lol

59 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

No actually Luck is having a better start than Manning. Manning had talent on his colts teams. 

1 hour ago, Indy_Mike said:

No, I agree that defense is the top priority, just saying that TY, Dorsett, Moncrief are all very similar, in that they are quick but not able to take on defenders and I believe that hurts the team. They should be able to get a guy off waivers or in the lower rounds of the draft that is strong and can get some yards after the catch!

Yes sir, later rounds. 

53 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Dear God,  make it stop!       Please, make it stop!!

It's year 5 and now I've seen EVERYTHING.  

Too much depth?!?       TOO MUCH DEPTH?!?

Whatever the magic words are to make it stop,  please stop.....

57 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Huh?