Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole takes pay cut

12isthenew18

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The point is flexibility.  We might get stuck with him.  We might land someone in free agency.  But you want to keep Cole in case you get outbid and the draft rolls around and no one is there at 18 or 49.

Thank you for articulating that like I seemingly could not? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well there is that $1M roster bonus!! We certainly do lack depth and he played a little better

near seasons end.
 Of course the original signing was BAD!
 Gotta think our Owner dreams up this ___ and Mentors his GrigSON.

The original signing was bad.  But I don't mind having him back at a reduced salary.  He's just a guy and is getting paid like it.  

Just now, Jason_S said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised about that...4-3 OLBs don't get paid what typical Edge rushers make.  So if a 4-3 team can land him as an "OLB" then they're getting an edge rusher at a bargain price.  If Irvin is smart though, he'll look at those teams that want to use him purely as an edge rusher, and since he's on the small side to be a 4-3 DE, his best option at being a pure pass rusher is going to be with a 3-4 team.

I think the angle makes sense I'm just not sure if he'll do it.

I mean who was honestly expecting to get a premier EDGE rusher in free agency with all of the other holes we have. Most of the players on the market would be converting to a new scheme. I'm not comfortable paying big dollars for those type of players. Remember that we have a new defensive coordinator who may have new techniques for cultivating pass rush. Hopefully we can get a rookie who comes in and plays a big role though.

I'm confused on why people are upset.... We had to restructure and keep him bc of Newsome.. Cole really came on towards the end of the season he is a good back up for low we still have the draft and that just makes me think we are going to go hard on OL in FA 

Obviously there's going to be other moves made to sure up the position.  I know nobody will take Ebiora seriously but I like his size and he appears to move really well so you just never know.  I'll let the this thing play out in it's entirety before I make any major statements.

28 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Exactly. I don't see how that does anything other than strengthen my point though. Trent Cole, Robert Mathis, and possibly a rookie aren't going to help us any further along in competing with Pittsburgh or New England. The reason why we lose to those teams so often is because we can't even touch their QBs. Now we bring back the same guys, only 1 year older and hope that they play better? I don't like the odds.  

I agree with what you are saying but disagree with this in general.

The reason we lose to them isn't because we have no edge rushers.  It is because we have no interior pressure forcing the QB to go the edge.  We don't need a prime Mathis nor even a Freeney to sack Brady and Ben.  We just need a really good line that can push the pocket.  If you have 2 DE's and a NT that can constantly be in the backfield all day Brady and Ben aren't going to rush for 200 yards.  They are more than likely going to be sacked.  imo

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Let's just keep everyone from 2015. Maybe we will win the Super Bowl?

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

so you have no ideas for other options to suggest?  yeah, didn't think so

Maybe, just maybe, this comment is dripping with sarcasm. Sarcasm != logical reasoning, so no viable alternatives need be offered.

I KNOW!!!! Instead of making our team better and signing 2-3 really good young players. Lets sign Morris Claiborne to a 4 year 40 million dollar deal and Zane Beadles 4 years, 32 million. That way instead of getting guys we know will probably come in and make us better and ball out. We'll get guys who COULD make us better!!!! See we'll just hope it works out. And we'll keep all these old guys who cant play anymore and draft Elliott at 18!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I mean who was honestly expecting to get a premier EDGE rusher in free agency with all of the other holes we have. Most of the players on the market would be converting to a new scheme. I'm not comfortable paying big dollars for those type of players. Remember that we have a new defensive coordinator who may have new techniques for cultivating pass rush. Hopefully we can get a rookie who comes in and plays a big role though.

Good rookie pass rushers are uncommon.

That said, we play tons of 4-2 so hopefully we get some inside rush out of Ty McGill and ?

maybe Rankins, or on the outside from Dodd, or Floyd. lol

24 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I KNOW!!!! Instead of making our team better and signing 2-3 really good young players. Lets sign Morris Claiborne to a 4 year 40 million dollar deal and Zane Beadles 4 years, 32 million. That way instead of getting guys we know will probably come in and make us better and ball out. We'll get guys who COULD make us better!!!! See we'll just hope it works out. And we'll keep all these old guys who cant play anymore and draft Elliott at 18!!!!!!!!

Don't you know these people have to want to play here?  That's the first rule of thumb.

54 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Because I am literally always right. 

get over your self dude

you wouldn't be able to do a better job than grigson

i may be opinionated but you wont find me sitting at the computer acting like i could do a better job than the pros

What a bunch of maroons.  This was a great move!  Cole was only on a two year contract to begin with, so the damage has already been done.  Now we're getting a good OLB against the run for $3.5 million on a one year deal ($2 million base salary plus $1 million roster bonus), which saves $1.5 million in cap space.

If I'm correct, the $3.5 million is the extent of the cap hit and that is a good deal for the Colts.   Cole isn't great, but is much better than Newsome and Werner.  And this deal changes nothing in terms of FA or draft plans, IMO.

Just now, aaron11 said:

get over your self dude

you wouldn't be able to do a better job than grigson

i may be opinionated but you wont find me sitting at the computer acting like i could do a better job than the pros

I've won my fantasy football league 5 years in a row, bud. I think I know what I'm talking about. 

sigh........ I tried to find an upside here, I got nothing..

Just wait y'all, we're gonna sing werner for 4.5 mil a year, and keep Andre Johnson, give Holmes and Harrison another year to develop....... keeping Grigson was a HUGE mistake

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've won my fantasy football league 5 years in a row, bud. I think I know what I'm talking about. 

while I agree with you about this.....comparing fantasy and the actual league is like comparing apples to wheat.  Not even close.

This move makes a lot of sense to me at the reduced salary.  He would have been cut if he didn't take it.  I think losing Newsome had some influence.  We only have so much to spend in FA.  I think the big name guys are going to get big contracts and are beyond our reach.  We would not be drafting one of the top edge rushers at 18.  This gives us a solid veteran who might improve with our new DC's system.  I would not be surprised to see Jones do the same thing, maybe Jackson as well. Now  I am only expecting two FA signings that will produce two new starters, OL and CB.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Yeah, or it may not. This is a weak edge rushing class aside from a few players. You're not going to get someone who can carry a pass rush outside of round 1. Also keep in mind we also have to get a starting caliber outside cornerback, an ILB, a guard, a center, and a RB2 with only around $17M in cap space right now while still having to give Luck a new contract. There's going to be a lot of holes to fill in the draft if FA goes the way I expect it too (with the Colts having minimal activity)

We dont have to give Luck another contract right now. In 2017 Mathis, Cole, Walden, Butler are FA, and combined with the rising salary cap, we'll have enough to space to him Luck at that time. We need to draft and develop well though, otherwise we're #ed, because as you say there's going to be minimal activity FA wise by the Colts.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

The fact that Cole accepted the pay cut tells me he knows he would not get a better offer from any other team.

Anyone, even a few new rookies, would be better than Cole. Now he is just going to tie up the roster spot .

I was hoping for a good off season, but I am quickly becoming discouraged with Grigson's decisions.

Next they will have to pay Vinateri, and maybe Lowry? (yikes) and all our salary cap cash will be spent, With the same sad situation as last year.

It means Grigson was going to cut Cole, which is what everyone wanted.  For a bad offseason with few edge free agents and what is apparently a down year for the draft, the restructured deal is a good one.

The new deal is probably what Cole should have been making all along. 

I like this deal much better than the Allen deal....I like Cole at this price more than I do DA at his new price.

Don't mind keeping him, as long as the plan is for him to be a backup. $2mil for a 2nd level edge isn't too bad, we could have signed several guys for the same amount with probably close to the same amount of production we got from him last year (which wasn't a heck of a lot). Rather than a difference maker, which is what he was supposed to be, his play was nothing more than just the run of the mill backup.   My difficulty would be if we don't find a first level edge rusher either in the draft or FA to put in front of him. Then I think we will have a problem.

4 minutes ago, James said:

We dont have to give Luck another contract right now. In 2017 Mathis, Cole, Walden, Butler are FA, and combined with the rising salary cap, we'll have enough to space to him Luck at that time. We need to draft and develop well though, otherwise we're #ed, because as you say there's going to be minimal activity FA wise by the Colts.

We could have had a lot of space this year and front loaded a lot of Luck's contract in year 1 since we weren't going to go after many FAs anyway. Instead we're sticking with Cole, D'Qwell, and Arthur Jones and paying Dwayne Allen $12M while we also absolutely have to sign a starting cornerback in FA. 

I don't understand what the plan is. Irsay said we'de have to get younger as a team and that meant some cuts but so far the only player that's been released (I'm not even sure if he's officially even been cut yet) is Andre. 

Can't even read through all the replies.

wah wah boo hoo... People only care about #'s and y'all can hate all you want but he really wasn't bad, just didn't put up sack #'s, but he got some pressure and did decent against the run. It's funny how people expect to have the best ever at every position, sorry but it doesn't work like that, and expectations are ridiculous.

the high and mighty.. You guys crack me up 

Some posters on here need a reality check. We are NOT going to be able to fill every hole on this team in one offseason. You want a center, guard, OLB, ILB,CB, 2nd RB, etc. We just don't have the cap space to fill all of those needs in FA. 

As far as the draft, I don't think Grigson reaches for needs. He'll draft the best player on his board so we can't count on the draft filling all the holes on this roster. 

That said I like bringing Cole back at a discount. We need the depth he provides and he took a pay cut to be here. Win-Win situation. 

29 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Everybody always says that. But if we offer the money. They'll want to play here.

Good god...it's not always about money for every player.  Louis Vasquez took a reduced contract because he wanted to play for Denver.  Bruce Irvin has said that if money is comparable, he'd like to stay in Seattle even if it's not the highest offer he receives.  Alex Mack voided his very lucrative contract with Cleveland because he wants to play for a contender.  That's just a few examples off the top of my head of recent players who were interested in more than just money.  Some guys want to stay in a certain region because of family or..whatever.

Most of the better FAs are going to get multiple, comparable offers from various teams, so they're going to be able to choose who they want to play for.  That's the way FA has worked....for a long time now.

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Some posters on here need a reality check. We are NOT going to be able to fill every hole on this team in one offseason. You want a center, guard, OLB, ILB,CB, 2nd RB, etc. We just don't have the cap space to fill all of those needs in FA. 

As far as the draft, I don't think Grigson reaches for needs. He'll draft the best player on his board so we can't count on the draft filling all the holes on this roster. 

That said I like bringing Cole back at a discount. We need the depth he provides and he took a pay cut to be here. Win-Win situation. 

Just @ me next time.

No we don't have the ability to fill all of those needs in FA, but the fact is some of the holes (namely CB) have to be filled in FA otherwise you're going to have to reach at points in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Just @ me next time.

No we don't have the ability to fill all of those needs in FA, but the fact is some of the holes (namely CB) have to be filled in FA otherwise you're going to have to reach at points in the draft. 

I really wasn't calling anybody out. Just wanted to put it out there. 

And I agree. We need to fill some holes in FA but I think we're going to go with solid depth players, not flashy free agents that are going to command huge $.