Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole takes pay cut

12isthenew18

Just now, Surge89 said:

The draft can address both problems. 

A talented NT can increase pass rush until next draft where we may have another chance at a pass rusher or maybe we draft an OLB that can play immediately or next year.  

Yeah, or it may not. This is a weak edge rushing class aside from a few players. You're not going to get someone who can carry a pass rush outside of round 1. Also keep in mind we also have to get a starting caliber outside cornerback, an ILB, a guard, a center, and a RB2 with only around $17M in cap space right now while still having to give Luck a new contract. There's going to be a lot of holes to fill in the draft if FA goes the way I expect it too (with the Colts having minimal activity)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The majority of the big contract guys are already agreed to at this point. If another EDGE is signed it'll be a backup guy to take Werner's ~100 snaps this upcoming season. 

So then, who was the better option that's going to hit the market?  Highly unlikely the Colts were going to go after any "big contract guys" anyway.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Ravens. Age: 26.

predict what Upshaw's next contract will be.  

BTW, Upshaw would not have come in and fixed our pass rush issue.  He's more of a SAM than a RUSH LB.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Crying?

The only crying to be done,  is over another year with Trent Cole.

Man, at least give me a little time to look over the available players.

It looks to me like there are quite a few better options than Cole out there. And many are a lot younger too.

NFL Free Agent Tracker: Defensive Ends - Updated 3/3
It's a good offseason to need a pass-rusher, as there are plenty of talented players available who can get to the quarterback.

A bunch of 4-3 Ends and really nothing with those OLBs.  Maybe Whitehead.  Bruce Irvin isn't going anywhere near a 3-4 defense.  My main thing is let the guy finish making moves.  Somebody else will be brought in as I doubt Werner is here.  Let the guy finish making moves instead of exploding over every transaction.

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

So why would you get rid of him when there is absolutely no depth left and nothing but 33 yr old pass rushers on the market or people who want way too much?  He isn't making but 2 million this season.  Probably would have went out the door IF Newsome didn't get caught with the Weed and sent packing. No choice really left.

Agreed and allows Indy to hopefully draft a RUSH LB'er (there aren't many available where Indy drafts) that can be developed behind Mathis and Cole?

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Courtney is a SAM backer. More in the Mold of Walden, not really a pass rusher, although it won't surprise me at all if he's bought in to replace Werner.  I'd be cool if we bought him in.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

then why are you crying about Cole being kept AND restructuring his contract to free up some cap space?

First of all, I'm not "crying" about anything. 

Second of all, because it means the Colts don't plan on signing one of the big edge guys on the market and will likely rely on two guys with a combined age of 69 and possibly a rookie. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

A bunch of 4-3 Ends and really nothing with those OLBs.  Maybe Whitehead.  Bruce Irvin isn't going anywhere near a 3-4 defense.  My main thing is let the guy finish making moves.  Somebody else will be brought in as I doubt Werner is here.  Let the guy finish making moves instead of exploding over every transaction.

Why would Irvin not go anywhere near a 3-4 defense?  IMO he'd be better as a RushLB in a 3-4 than he is in the role he's been playing with Seattle.

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

2nd of all, because it means the Colts don't plan on signing one of the big edge guys on the market and will likely rely on two guys with a combined age of 69 and possibly a rookie. 

Ok you already said that the majority of the big contract guys are already locked up at this point...and FA hasn't even started.  Then you admit that there are no better options out there, that was your point.  So you're mad that they restructured Cole instead of signing a big name Edge rusher that doesn't seem to exist?

You're contradicting yourself just to continue hating on Grigson.  I'm by no means sold on Grigson, but I don't see how anyone can consider this restructure anything other than a win-win at this point.

13 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yeah, or it may not. This is a weak edge rushing class aside from a few players. You're not going to get someone who can carry a pass rush outside of round 1. Also keep in mind we also have to get a starting caliber outside cornerback, an ILB, a guard, a center, and a RB2 with only around $17M in cap space right now while still having to give Luck a new contract. There's going to be a lot of holes to fill in the draft if FA goes the way I expect it too (with the Colts having minimal activity)

You're not necessarily going to get someone who can even in round 1. 

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Why would Irvin not go anywhere near a 3-4 defense?  IMO he'd be better as a RushLB in a 3-4 than he is in the role he's been playing with Seattle.

So using Bruces mind when you have the Panthers, The Jaguars, The Falcons, The Buccaneers and all these other similar schemes that he's always played in why would he select a 3-4 defense?  Especially when he can go play for two different teams that he knows part of the coaching staff and the coaches know his skill set and what he's about?  Why would Bruce Irvin choose otherwise other than maybe money? Do you see the Colts shelling out high dollars his way?

Irvin had 5.5 sacks last year, Mathis had more than that in his situational role and Cole should have hit that number with a missed sack here or there. I ain't no big Cole cheerleader by far, but I don't know if I'm down with paying Irvin big dollars. I mean I like him, but .........

Just now, Jason_S said:

Ok you already said that the majority of the big contract guys are already locked up at this point...and FA hasn't even started.  Then you admit that there are no better options out there, that was your point.  You're contradicting yourself just to continue hating on Grigson.  

No, I'm not contradicting myself. You just don't understand what I am saying.

The fact that at THIS point, after the big contract guys are all locked up, the Colts suddenly decide to redo Cole's contract means that they didn't land any of the premier edge rushers on the market. 

Are you following what I am saying now or do I have to dumb it down any further?

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Mr. 5 sacks in 4 years is going to come in and save the pass rush?

There simply aren't many, or any, realistic options out there.  Grigs can't miracle someone.

The fact that Cole accepted the pay cut tells me he knows he would not get a better offer from any other team.

Anyone, even a few new rookies, would be better than Cole. Now he is just going to tie up the roster spot .

I was hoping for a good off season, but I am quickly becoming discouraged with Grigson's decisions.

Next they will have to pay Vinateri, and maybe Lowry? (yikes) and all our salary cap cash will be spent, With the same sad situation as last year.

2 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

You're not necessarily going to get someone who can even in round 1. 

Exactly. I don't see how that does anything other than strengthen my point though. Trent Cole, Robert Mathis, and possibly a rookie aren't going to help us any further along in competing with Pittsburgh or New England. The reason why we lose to those teams so often is because we can't even touch their QBs. Now we bring back the same guys, only 1 year older and hope that they play better? I don't like the odds.  

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The fact that Cole accepted the pay cut tells me he knows he would not get a better offer from any other team.

Anyone, even a few new rookies, would be better than Cole. Now he is just going to tie up the roster spot .

I was hoping for a good off season, but I am quickly becoming discouraged with Grigson's decisions.

Next they will have to pay Vinateri, and maybe Lowry? (yikes) and all our salary cap cash will be spent, With the same sad situation as last year.

Becuase Vinatieri and Lowry are going to get 60 year 18 billion dollar fully guaranteed contracts.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

So using Bruces mind when you have the Panthers, The Jaguars, The Falcons, The Buccaneers and all these other similar schemes that he's always played in why would he select a 3-4 defense?  Especially when he can go play for two different teams that he knows part of the coaching staff and the coaches know his skill set and what he's about?  Why would Bruce Irvin choose otherwise other than maybe money?

Why select a 3-4 defense?  Because I think he'd be far more productive and have far more pass rush opportunities as a RushLB in a 3-4 than as a SamLB in a 4-3.  Because Edge Rushers make more money than 4-3 OLBs.  Because he wouldn't be in coverage nearly as much.  

1 hour ago, 12isthenew18 said:
1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yeah let's get rid of any type of depth. Some of you guys would be amazing GMs and owners

http://nfltraderumors.co/colts-olb-trent-cole-takes-pay-cut/

I've given up on grigs

We gave Grigson and Pagano 4 year contracts to stay that translates to 4 more years of no superbowl.

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Why select a 3-4 defense?  Because I think he'd be far more productive and have far more pass rush opportunities as a RushLB in a 3-4 than as a SamLB in a 4-3.  Because Edge Rushers make more money than 4-3 OLBs.  Because he wouldn't be in coverage nearly as much.  

He's going to have way more 4-3 teams coming after him than 3-4.  I think he'll go with what is familiar. Those will be most of the teams bidding for his services.

17 minutes ago, Dustin said:

No, I'm not contradicting myself. You just don't understand what I am saying.

The fact that at THIS point, after the big contract guys are all locked up, the Colts suddenly decide to redo Cole's contract means that they didn't land any of the premier edge rushers on the market. 

Are you following what I am saying now or do I have to dumb it down any further?

How do you know this restructure wasn't in preparation of signing a higher contract guy?  You don't.  You don't know yet that this has anything to do with their intentions of signing another edge rusher.  This transaction could have been about Cole and Cole only...Grigson could have told Cole's agent that they wanted to bring him back but only at a reduced salary.  The timing could also very well be because Cole's agent found out that he's not going to get more from any other team so his best option is to restructure and say in Indy.

You don't have all of the information right now.  You jumped to conclusions and now are throwing a fit. You just want to jump on the * wagon as soon as possible because you're still * about Grigson's extension. ;)

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Second of all, because it means the Colts don't plan on signing one of the big edge guys on the market and will likely rely on two guys with a combined age of 69 and possibly a rookie. 

You don't know that.  We could sign someone and cut Cole.  Problem solved.  Loss of 2.5 mill, big woop.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

You don't know that.  We could sign someone and cut Cole.  Problem solved.  Loss of 2.5 mill, big woop.

We could, but that's not going to happen. If it were they would have just cut Cole outright instead of bothering with a restructure. 

Just now, Dustin said:

We could, but that's not going to happen. If it were they would have just cut Cole outright instead of bothering with a restructure. 

The point is flexibility.  We might get stuck with him.  We might land someone in free agency.  But you want to keep Cole in case you get outbid and the draft rolls around and no one is there at 18 or 49.

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Why is this such a problem? He's only making  2 million and we have a lack of depth at the position.  

Well there is that $1M roster bonus!! We certainly do lack depth and he played a little better

near seasons end.
 Of course the original signing was BAD!
 Gotta think our Owner dreams up this ___ and Mentors his GrigSON.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's going to have way more 4-3 teams coming after him than 3-4.  I think he'll go with what is familiar. Those will be most of the teams bidding for his services.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised about that...4-3 OLBs don't get paid what typical Edge rushers make.  So if a 4-3 team can land him as an "OLB" then they're getting an edge rusher at a bargain price.  If Irvin is smart though, he'll look at those teams that want to use him purely as an edge rusher, and since he's on the small side to be a 4-3 DE, his best option at being a pure pass rusher is going to be with a 3-4 team.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I have a feeling that is something that is a consideration. There are no sure fire RUSH Linebackers, that Indy probably would sign, in FA. Also the same can be said where Indy picks in the draft....so to me at least, it is a vet depth move that leaves the teams with options...

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The point is flexibility.  We might get stuck with him.  We might land someone in free agency.  But you want to keep Cole in case you get outbid and the draft rolls around and no one is there at 18 or 49.

Which is my point. They were already outbid. Which is why now we get the restructure. It's not like Cole is a FA. There could have been a pay cut anytime between now and the start of the regular season.