Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole takes pay cut

12isthenew18

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

been thinking he might stay.  with newsome gone we are too thin at the position to cut anyone without having a replacement lined up.

free agent money and draft picks are all pretty well tied up, and there arn't many good olbs in the draft

I don't endorse Cole as a great player (I've always thought he was average) but I'd much rather have an experienced vet on the edge possibly backing up a young OLB we draft. And even if we don't at least now we can take the best player at 18 (man this number has been coming up alot for Colts fans) which could very likely be a DT or corner without worry that the OLB is vacant. 

Also on a side note I think this is more of a testament to the new coaching staff seeing players underutilized than being some type of ploy by Grigs.

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I still think we pick a pass rusher with our 1st round pick though.

would be nice, i listed that as my #1 priory in the other thread.

this draft class is a problem though.  the top rusher will go in the first 10 picks, after that there is no obvious first round rush OLB

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Irsay got what he bargained for.

You bring back the same GM and coach, you get the same results.

So why would you get rid of him when there is absolutely no depth left and nothing but 33 yr old pass rushers on the market or people who want way too much?  He isn't making but 2 million this season.  Probably would have went out the door IF Newsome didn't get caught with the Weed and sent packing. No choice really left.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

would be nice, i listed that as my #1 priory in the other thread.

this draft class is a problem though.  the top rusher will go in the first 10 picks, after that there is no obvious first round rush OLB

We will still pick a Pass Rusher 1st IMO, If we don't it will be the best available O.Lineman then a Pass Rusher in Round 2. This move doesn't influence anything.

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

At least he took a pay cut. His salary for 2016 is now $2M. Not bad for a veteran pass rusher, even on the decline. I still think we pick a pass rusher with our 1st round pick though.

Looks like SPORTRAC already has the new contract terms updated.

However, according to this, even after the pay cut, Trent Cole's 2016 cap hit now totals: $4,875,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/trent-cole/

Why are you guys mad? I like this a lot. I agree with all the decisions that Grigson is making. Allen > Fleener (sure he was overpaid, but that happens). Also, Cole was coming on at the end of the season and $2 million for him is really good. Why would we cut him. B+ offseason for Grigson from me, ( I didn't like Freeman release).

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

...a lot of you wonder why some of us are mad? 

Watching the games it was easy to see, Trent Cole just could not get it done.

He provided zero pass rush. So I won't accept the excuse "we have no better option"

So lay some options on the table for us? Cole can still get to the QB.  Might didn't register in terms of numbers, but he still had pressures and he's not bad in run support. Obviously there's going to be some young blood added so quit crying.

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Looks like SPORTRAC already has the new contract terms updated.

However, according to this, even after the pay cut, Trent Cole's 2016 cap hit now totals: $4,875,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/trent-cole/

It's money that has already been paid.  No matter his hit would have had that 2 million attached.

10 minutes ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

Why are you guys mad?

Because it means they gauged the FA edge rusher market and settled for Cole. Which means the majority of our pass rush next season will have to come from 2 guys entering probably their last season in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Because it means they gauged the FA edge rusher market and settled for Cole. Which means the majority of our pass rush next season will have to come from 2 guys entering probably their last season in the NFL. 

Or, it means that they had no intention of bringing him back at his former cost, and they told him as much...his agent checked the market for his value and found there was none so he agreed to the restructure.  FA hasn't started yet...they could very well still go after another pass rusher.  

Oh I know! Let's get Junior Galette the guy who blasts his former head coach all over twitter using his girlfriends acct as a cover up! Yeah the the locker room cancer guy. Let's pay him $10 million a year.  No nevermind let's back the truck up for Greg Hardy the woman strangler.

Just now, Jason_S said:

Or, it means that they had no intention of bringing him back at his former cost, and they told him as much...his agent checked the market for his value and found there was none so he agreed to the restructure.  FA hasn't started yet...they could very well still go after another pass rusher.  

The majority of the big contract guys are already agreed to at this point. If another EDGE is signed it'll be a backup guy to take Werner's ~100 snaps this upcoming season. 

What about JPP?  The guy with the missing fingers whose never played in a 3-4 in his life.  Oh and then there's Tamba Hali who's just as old as Cole and will want quite a bit more than 2 milion. I'm a little bit okay with Tamba but it's potentially a similar situation.   You are gonna pay some real nice coin for Vernon whose price will be driven up.

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The draft can address both problems. 

A talented NT can increase pass rush until next draft where we may have another chance at a pass rusher or maybe we draft an OLB that can play immediately or next year.  

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're still not telling us who we would add and at what price?  No answers equals crying.

Crying?

The only crying to be done,  is over another year with Trent Cole.

Man, at least give me a little time to look over the available players.

It looks to me like there are quite a few better options than Cole out there. And many are a lot younger too.

NFL Free Agent Tracker: Defensive Ends - Updated 3/3
It's a good offseason to need a pass-rusher, as there are plenty of talented players available who can get to the quarterback.