Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole takes pay cut

12isthenew18

I really think and hope a new coaching staff will be able to raise the level of play. I really think the schemes that Manusky used last year were questionable. We all know Cole is great player, a bit older but lets hope they can get more out of him as a back up this season

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Everybody always says that. But if we offer the money. They'll want to play here.

Not always true. There's other good young quarterbacks out there now other than Luck if you haven't noticed.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Everybody always says that. But if we offer the money. They'll want to play here.

What money do you people think we have? Most mocks had us giving Allen 3-4 million and he got 7. We will be outbid by many other teams.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Good rookie pass rushers are uncommon.

That said, we play tons of 4-2 so hopefully we get some inside rush out of Ty McGill and ?

maybe Rankins, or on the outside from Dodd, or Floyd. lol

They may be uncommon but there isn't anything else we can do. No pass rushers on the market are worth it.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I don't understand what the plan is. Irsay said we'de have to get younger as a team and that meant some cuts but so far the only player that's been released (I'm not even sure if he's officially even been cut yet) is Andre. 

I agree.  I don't see what sort of plan Grigson has, if any.

5 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Omg. And we just lost kelechi osemele. Grigs is already sucking

And so has every other team so stop it.  How are you going to tell that man where he wants to play?  He didn't choose Indy BFD

4 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Why is this such a problem? He's only making  2 million and we have a lack of depth at the position.  

I don't get it either.  I would understand if he didn't get cut or restructure, but he did come on at the end of the year, we cut Newsome, probably losing JF, DQ is getting older, and don't have a ton of cap space.  Restructuring is the right thing to do.  I believe with the new DC he will play better. 

49 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I don't see what sort of plan Grigson has, if any.

I'd say his plan is pretty obvious...don't make the OLB issue any worse than it already is until he has better options on the roster.  

19 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Instead of cutting the trash players lets round them all up and keep them so they can continue to suck it up on the field game after game 

Who is going to take the place of these "trash" players? That's the biggest problem with cutting all these guys. You can't expect every free agent to come here and if one does what makes you think they'll be significantly better?

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

I'd say his plan is pretty obvious...don't make the OLB issue any worse than it already is until he has better options on the roster.  

I don't think there's much advantage to keeping Cole.  It's not like he was a pillar of our pass rush last year.  Releasing him wouldn't make the team much worse.  It would have said us more money, and given someone else a chance to get the reps and develop.

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Who is going to take the place of these "trash" players? That's the biggest problem with cutting all these guys. You can't expect every free agent to come here and if one does what makes you think they'll be significantly better?

An upgrade over Trent Cole?? Draft picks mid level FA you name it he was garbage all year 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

An upgrade over Trent Cole?? Draft picks mid level FA you name it he was garbage all year 

I'm sure we'll grab an OLB in the draft but even then you would need depth which Cole will provide. I really like Jenkins from UGA. 

As for FA's, name one that would be better than Cole at the same price?

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I'm sure we'll grab an OLB in the draft but even then you would need depth which Cole will provide. I really like Jenkins from UGA. 

As for FA's, name one that would be better than Cole at the same price?

Point is Cole did nothing anyone available could be the depth he was cutting him we lose nothing at all

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Point is Cole did nothing anyone available could be the depth he was cutting him we lose nothing at all

Jeez. You would think the guy is making $10+ million a year. It's not a bad price for a veteran who played better at the end of the year. 

My point is that we should not overpay for another player that might be marginally better. None of the FA OLBs inspire much confidence. 

6 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Jeez. You would think the guy is making $10+ million a year. It's not a bad price for a veteran who played better at the end of the year. 

My point is that we should not overpay for another player that might be marginally better. None of the FA OLBs inspire much confidence.

Point is teams out there are cutting good players to try and get better we don't even cut our bad players to try and get better 

41 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think there's much advantage to keeping Cole.  It's not like he was a pillar of our pass rush last year.  Releasing him wouldn't make the team much worse.  It would have said us more money, and given someone else a chance to get the reps and develop.

Cole also wasn't as bad as many are trying to claim...a popular theme around here.  And the advantage is that, at least for now, we have a veteran pass rusher for depth.  As for keeping him taking away the chance for someone else to get reps and develop....who did you have in mind?  There really isn't anyone on the roster right now that needs more reps to develop.  That would  have been Newsome had he not gotten himself arrested.  

19 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Cole also wasn't as bad as many are trying to claim...a popular theme around here.  And the advantage is that, at least for now, we have a veteran pass rusher for depth.  As for keeping him taking away the chance for someone else to get reps and develop....who did you have in mind?  There really isn't anyone on the roster right now that needs more reps to develop.  That would  have been Newsome had he not gotten himself arrested.  

Logic doesn't work here. We're outnumbered... retreat 

This roster is being revamped and is a work in progress at this point. I don't think in the time I have been here there has been so much whining and crying. No matter what is done the whine fest just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Whined when Grigson did nothing now that he is doing something more whining. I think a truckload of pampers and wipes are in order. Maybe throw in some pacifiers too.

6 hours ago, 12isthenew18 said:

Why are you upset about this deal? Cole didn't produce last year they restructured the deal to fit his production and he just released wener. They've got a have passed rushers. None of those guys are getting to free agency ever bodies being locked up before Wednesday. Not enough of them in the draft. So we got a have bodies off the edge and that's what Cole is.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Then why cut Werner? He is younger and has done a lot more then Cole we can cut him yet not cut this over the hill turd 

Werner is younger, but he has absolutely not done a lot more than Cole.  And I've been one of Werner's biggest supporters since before he was drafted.  

46 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I like this.

And my two cents on a side note: No one is claiming Trent Cole will be a star starting pass rusher, but he will provide a veteran presence, and help to develop any draft picks or young players playing ahead of him. 2 Million this year (not including what we would have lost in cap space if he was cut) is not that bad of a price for him. 

55 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

He's only a veteran pass rusher because he's a veteran.  He doesn't provide any real pass rush from what I've seen.  I don't think he has anything to offer

I was surprised to hear his PFF rating wasn't terrible last year.  I suppose that cutting your 2nd best pass-rusher isn't a good idea when you are sorely lacking pass rush (especially right after you cut #3)...

gotta LOVE the couch GMs.

what is the problem now? We saved some money on his contract (didn't just have dead cap $ by cutting him),. Also, he's a vet influence on the D where we need it. He's at a reasonable price for what we got from him. If he steps it up, we have value.

i expect him to show improvement this year.  Our D was under tremendous pressure last year with our offensive problems/injuries.

Cole is certainly not a bad player, and i would say it was a smart move by Grigs and co.

R-E-L-A-X

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

We could, but that's not going to happen. If it were they would have just cut Cole outright instead of bothering with a restructure. 

Its called having a plan b. If we don't get the players we want we need to have someone on the roster, and it's not like any rookie olb will contribute much in year one. 

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

We could, but that's not going to happen. If it were they would have just cut Cole outright instead of bothering with a restructure. 

Its called having a plan b. If we don't get the players we want we need to have someone on the roster, and it's not like any rookie olb will contribute much in year one. 

14 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You can have a plan B without a restructure. Cole was signed through 2016 anyway. It's not like he was a FA and we had to get a contract done.