Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole takes pay cut

12isthenew18

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

You can have a plan B without a restructure. Cole was signed through 2016 anyway. It's not like he was a FA and we had to get a contract done. 

True but it gives us a bit of cap room for the time being. Doesn't hurt to get as much money as you can going into free agency. Any time spent on restructuring deliberations halfway through free agency could be time for free agents to field other offers and make decisions. We don't lose anything by restructuring. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Surge89 said:

It's money that has already been paid.  No matter his hit would have had that 2 million attached.

Over the cap had Trent Cole making in 2016 a $4,250,000 base, 1 million prorated signing bonus (guaranteed) and 2 million roster bonus for a cap hit of 7,125,000, or a dead cap hit of $1 million if cut. 

http://overthecap.com/player/trent-cole/783

Now Spotrac has Trent making, $2 Million base, the 1 million prorated singing bonus, and a $2,875,000 roster bonus for total $5,875,000 salary and cap hit. Still a 1 million dead money cap hit if cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/trent-cole/

But what did folks expect?  Compare last years with his previous 3 seasons in Philly-

TCole%20stats_zpsiqirs91p.jpg

His best years were before 2012.

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

Exactly. I don't see how that does anything other than strengthen my point though. Trent Cole, Robert Mathis, and possibly a rookie aren't going to help us any further along in competing with Pittsburgh or New England. The reason why we lose to those teams so often is because we can't even touch their QBs. Now we bring back the same guys, only 1 year older and hope that they play better? I don't like the odds.  

I agree with that, I think our pass rush is realistically not going to be among the best in the league in 2016. Our O-line probably won't be either, only saying that because I have this bad feeling that Grigson isn't going to bring in the right talent there. 

11 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I agree with that, I think our pass rush is realistically not going to be among the best in the league in 2016. Our O-line probably won't be either, only saying that because I have this bad feeling that Grigson isn't going to bring in the right talent there. 

Thinking outside of the box, I think the trendy pass rush position is at DT.  With the 3 step drops coming into vogue, it just takes too long for the edge to round the corner and get to the QB.

Look for Grigs to improve the pass rush from the interior DL, possibly at pick #18.

Just now, DougDew said:

Thinking outside of the box, I think the trendy pass rush position is at DT.  With the 3 step drops coming into vogue, it just takes too long for the edge to round the corner and get to the QB.

Look for Grigs to improve the pass rush from the interior DL, possibly at pick #18.

Certainly would help. Depending on who is on the board, there could be someone good at 18 or even at 48 or later. I like Javon Hargrave of South Carolina St. I think his explosiveness on the interior really makes him a good prospect, who could be lost in the shuffle with some of these bigger name D-linemen coming out.

8 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Certainly would help. Depending on who is on the board, there could be someone good at 18 or even at 48 or later. I like Javon Hargrave of South Carolina St. I think his explosiveness on the interior really makes him a good prospect, who could be lost in the shuffle with some of these bigger name D-linemen coming out.

And if you look at what Denver did in the NE game, they rushed three and still got to Brady.  Denver covered with 8 and the three athletic guys finally got to Brady several times.  Coverage helps the pass rush, so a talented CB at #18 would help too.

34 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

It could be. If we sign a good guard in free agency, and draft a good pass rusher who can come in and make an impact day 1, and draft our starting Center in the 2nd or 3rd. It almost seems like Grigson doesn't want good players from free agency. He'd rather pay a mediocre player decent money than pay a very good player good money. He's just a really bad general manager.

Here is how i see it, another vetran with Mathis to teach the rookie we get in the draft.  

We're only paying him 2 mil, and Indy cut Newsome & Werner..we needed depth, 

Cole was not top end pass rusher, But chased and tackled well.  Well worth 2 mil in my book, so i'm actually happy with this move.....Plus they made more cap room.

15 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

And what would you have done instead? 

Trent Cole did not provide any kind of a pass rush threat last year. I don't believe he will provide one this year. I would have cut him and saved the 4 or 5 million and attempted to sign a legitimate pass rushing threat in free agency. I don't think that cutting his pay is going to do much for team other than save a few dollars. The fact of the matter is that this team needs a true pass rush threat in order to have any hope of contending and by simply having Trent Cole take a pay cut is not going to accomplish fixing that problem.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Here is how i see it, another vetran with Mathis to teach the rookie we get in the draft.  

We're only paying him 2 mil, and Indy cut Newsome & Werner..we needed depth, 

Cole was not top end pass rusher, But chased and tackled well.  Well worth 2 mil in my book, so i'm actually happy with this move.....Plus they made more cap room.

Many of us have a similar opinion on it.....some are just butt hurt because their silly "off season mocks" had him being cut.

3 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Trent Cole did not provide any kind of a pass rush threat last year. I don't believe he will provide one this year. I would have cut him and saved the 4 or 5 million and attempted to sign a legitimate pass rushing threat in free agency. I don't think that cutting his pay is going to do much for team other than save a few dollars. The fact of the matter is that this team needs a true pass rush threat in order to have any hope of contending and by simply having Trent Cole take a pay cut is not going to accomplish fixing that problem.

Who would you suggest indy goes after? Not a lot of options on the market right now. 

In hindsight,  how much better would we be if we had signed McPhee last year? He had a great year with Chicago.  

4 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I agree, I mean keeping him for FREE wouldn't have been a positive... if he's out there that means we have no pass rush threat... he's worse than no one as he adds no defensive purpose/skill/potential result that any other player couldn't offer likely with a higher chance of success.  We got rid of our only marginal pass rush threat because he was a problem off the field... now we really have less than nothing at that position. 

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I agree, I mean keeping him for FREE wouldn't have been a positive... if he's out there that means we have no pass rush threat... he's worse than no one as he adds no defensive purpose/skill/potential result that any other player couldn't offer likely with a higher chance of success.  We got rid of our only marginal pass rush threat because he was a problem off the field... now we really have less than nothing at that position. 

wow...like, none of that is true

4 hours ago, theanarchist said:

If he was cut we would have taken a 4.125 ish million cap hit anyway. So yeah lets take the dead cap space hit, and thin out the position even further. 

Ah sounds good to me.

6 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Who would you suggest indy goes after? Not a lot of options on the market right now. 

In hindsight,  how much better would we be if we had signed McPhee last year? He had a great year with Chicago.  

He had a better year than cole It all depends. Cole gets us nowhere other than depth. We have to get a pass rush somewhere and Trent Cole at 3 mil is better than at 5 mil but he isn't going to help our pass rush. The question isn't who do I suggest. The question is how are we going to get a better pass rush and Cole isn't the answer. He wasn't the answer when he was singed. He was never a great pass rusher. He was decent at 25 or 26 but keeping him around is not going to solve this teams issues with pass rush.

10 hours ago, Jason_S said:

wow...like, none of that is true

In your opinion.... mine differs.  Why keep a player who was terrible, even at a cheap rate? An future UDFA out there must offer more promise than he does at even less money.  The guy is done... why pay him to not produce.  (not a question, a rhetorical statement).  .