Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release QB Josh Freeman (Merge)

NBColtsFanatic

Colts just hit up my phone minutes ago... They are brining me in for the minimum.

They said they like my versatility. Can throw the ball and play center of needed.

i was excited to have Freeman as a backup. Surprising they released him.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

To be honest if Luck goes down several games like last year it doesn't really matter. Ask Jim Sorgi

I Disagree. If Hass was more Durable OR if we had a better 3rd stringer we would have beat Texans and won our Division!

Yeah losing Luck will damage super bowl aspirations but we still can compete for division with a good backup qb.

23 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Colts just hit up my phone minutes ago... They are brining me in for the minimum.

They said they like my versatility. Can throw the ball and play center of needed.

i was excited to have Freeman as a backup. Surprising they released him.

More plausible than signing Tebow

Thank God that Grigson has enough sense to know that Josh Freeman isn't even a decent backup and will hopefully be signing or drafting one.

One decent game with very little on the line for either team shouldn't make people think that Freeman is even halfway decent.  There is a reason he was out of the NFL.  

I say bring Stanton back.  Yes it costs you 3 million or so, but it's a good insurance policy.  Hasselbeck kept us in the playoff hunt for most of the season despite Luck's injury.  Now he's 40 and it's time to move on but Stanton is one of the best pure backups around that isn't hunting for starter jobs. 

This news has made me very happy today.

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Thank God that Grigson has enough sense to know that Josh Freeman isn't even a decent backup and will hopefully be signing or drafting one.

One decent game with very little on the line for either team shouldn't make people think that Freeman is even halfway decent.  There is a reason he was out of the NFL.  

I say bring Stanton back.  Yes it costs you 3 million or so, but it's a good insurance policy.  Hasselbeck kept us in the playoff hunt for most of the season despite Luck's injury.  Now he's 40 and it's time to move on but Stanton is one of the best pure backups around that isn't hunting for starter jobs. 

Drew Stanton has 12 career tds vs 16 career interceptions.  And you want to pay him 3 million a season? 

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Drew Stanton has 12 career tds vs 16 career interceptions.  And you want to pay him 3 million a season? 

Stanton was a good back-up here for the Colts and he was a very good back-up for Arizona.    Arians loved him.

I think the reason he's leaving is he's looking for a good sized paycheck with the possibility of some playing time.

My willingness to pay Stanton depends on who else is interested in the job and how much they'd cost........

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stanton was a good back-up here for the Colts and he was a very good back-up for Arizona.    Arians loved him.

I think the reason he's leaving is he's looking for a good sized paycheck with the possibility of some playing time.

My willingness to pay Stanton depends on who else is interested in the job and how much they'd cost........

Drew Stanton never took the field here  How can anyone say he was a good backup here when he was never used?  Arians brought him to Arizona because he knew the offense.  

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Drew Stanton never took the field here  How can anyone say he was a good backup here when he was never used?  Arians brought him to Arizona because he knew the offense.  

He was a good back-up because Luck and Arians said he was a good back-up.

Knowing the offense and executing it are different things.     At one point in his Arizona years,  Arians said he thought Stanton was good enough to be a starter in the NFL and that he didn't think he'd be a back-up for much longer.

That's why I have that perspective.....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was a good back-up because Luck and Arians said he was a good back-up.

Knowing the offense and executing it are different things.     At one point in his Arizona years,  Arians said he thought Stanton was good enough to be a starter in the NFL and that he didn't think he'd be a back-up for much longer.

That's why I have that perspective.....

Have you ever heard a coach or starting QB say the backup wasn't any good? 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Freeman was a solid, very good in 2010, starter in the NFL. The reason he disappeared were, allegedly, mental and drug related. Plus, Schiano's #1 skill as a HC with TB was getting rid of talent. If Freeman's clean and has his head on straight he could easily be one of the best backups in the league.

You can call his one game with us a fluke but the fact is he played a hell of a game for someone who was picked up just 5(?) days before.

I'll take a rehabilitated/reawoken Freeman over Stanton any day of the week.

I don't get this move at all unless he did something stupid we are unaware of.