Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter unlikely to return to Colts

MTC

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/01/06/indianapolis-colts-duron-carter-josh-freeman-ryan-lindley/78365472/

Unlike players on active rosters, the contracts of practice squad players expire immediately after a team's season ends. The team then has a one-week window in which to sign those players to futures contracts, enabling them to keep their rights for the upcoming season. It would be surprising if the Colts opted not to offer a futures contract to Carter after keeping him on the practice squad for the duration of the season (something the Colts rarely do).

The more likely scenario is that Carter declined the Colts' offer, choosing instead to wait out the one-week window, at which point he can sign a deal with another club. Carter, according to a league source, had drawn interest from other teams during the season, but none pulled the trigger and signed him to their active roster. But in the offseason, when teams can carry 90 men on their rosters, Carter will appeal to other clubs.

I do understand why Duron would be frustrated, but quite disappointing to not see him return. He would of had a better opportunity with Whalen and potentially Andre gone. Maybe he'll re-sign during the free agency period, but for now I don't see him coming back in a Colts uniform. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I will be disappointed that he doesn't get another shot with the Colts.  I liked his potential, especially if Andre Johnson is let go.

thing is though, even if he's brought back, he's still going to have to fight for playing time behind Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett.

6 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

thing is though, even if he's brought back, he's still going to have to fight for playing time behind Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett.

Well that's true ... I admit that I had him pegged as our # 4, with Quan at # 5 and our returner.

So I guess that when you consider that he'd likely be the # 4, then I suppose one shouldn't be too upset by him moving on elsewhere.  Still, I really did like his potential.

3 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Well, we could always pick up Da'rick Rogers instead! haha

You know, there are guys that are intriguing prospects, of which Duron Carter and Da'rick Rogers both were.  I don't get people that kind of arrogantly belittle people that cheer for and are intrigued by low cost guys that offer such upside potential, even though usually such players do indeed fail to pan out.  Kind of needless killjoy rudeness, imho.

You know, there are guys that are intriguing prospects, of which Duron Carter and Da'rick Rogers both were.  I don't get people that kind of arrogantly belittle people that cheer for and are intrigued by low cost guys that offer such upside potential, even though usually such players do indeed fail to pan out.  Kind of needless killjoy rudeness, imho.

I agree, though, as is often the case, that kind of mockery is generally directed towards the minority who go way overboard proclaiming that such and such player is the answer to our problems, a future HOFer etc, then people like you and me, who more quietly cheer for the player to succeed knowing deep down the odds are against him wind up getting caught in the crossfire. :)

Hey man, I was high on Da'rick Rogers and thought we had hit jackpot with him. Was hoping Carter could do what he didn't, now I'm just delusional... 

8 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Well, we could always pick up Da'rick Rogers instead! haha

In all honesty I would love to have him back. I think the Colts should release Andre. He is getting old and losing his step each year. I felt like Carter would have been our Andre this season if he was in the starting line up but for cheap. With Hilton,Moncrief,Dorsett,Whalen, we need a big WR who can jump up and make catches. 

Just now, James Harden said:

In all honesty I would love to have him back. I think the Colts should release Andre. He is getting old and losing his step each year. I felt like Carter would have been our Andre this season if he was in the starting line up but for cheap. With Hilton,Moncrief,Dorsett,Whalen, we need a big WR who can jump up and make catches. 

Yeah, especially when in the Red Zone. Allen used to haul those TDs in, but what happen to that BTW?

6 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, especially when in the Red Zone. Allen used to haul those TDs in, but what happen to that BTW?

I'm not a fan of a TE purely being use for catching instead of blocking. I think Allen is gone after this season. We should convert Fleener into a pure WR. The guy isn't tough enough to block for Luck. We should seriously draft a TE who is use more for blocking than receiving. Anyways big WR is what we need!

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Carter was bigger but played smaller than even Whalen. He was soft and not needed.  Good luck.

You see what Carter is NOW.

Part of scouting and coaching is trying to see and figure out what a player CAN BE.

And for fans,  there's just no way to know how good he can be.    We didn't see what he did during practice during the season.

I hope we can bring him back.     I don't want ton see him succeed on another team.

He had the physical tools just don't think he has the mental aspect for NFL offenses . It is not simple like madden the WRs and QB have to be on the same or bad things happen . That is what Carter needs to learn in his stint he ran many wrong routes 1 causing a int and another should have been a easy TD that he didn't come back for .

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You see what Carter is NOW.

Part of scouting and coaching is trying to see and figure out what a player CAN BE.

And for fans,  there's just no way to know how good he can be.    We didn't see what he did during practice during the season.

I hope we can bring him back.     I don't want ton see him succeed on another team.

I doubt we have much to worry about.  The body of his work came in the preseason, so my judgment came from that.  He seemed like one of those kids that has all of the size, talent, and potential, but just didn't like the physicality of the game very much.  Whalen played significantly tougher than him, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Devildog said:

That's a bummer. Would have loved to see his full potential.

I'm not sure how much actual potential Carter has.  He did well in CFL and obviously gets hype because of his dad.

However, he is not very fast (a high 4.5/low 4.6 guy), and although he is tall he doesn't seem very strong or able to really use his body to gain a big advantage with his size.  

He did seem to have good hands, which I thought was his best attribute.

While I'd be happy to see him get another shot, I never got my hopes up too high about Duron.  I am sure the coaches/front office was aware that if they didn't elevate him to the 53 late in the season they'd be at risk of having his contract expire.  

There seems to have been plenty of players we could have waived or moved to PS if we were really concerned about Carter.

Also, given the fact no team claimed Carter from our PS during the season leads me to believe he won't be getting any serious offers this off-season (he may move to a team where he thinks he has a better shot at making an active roster, but I highly doubt any team offers him a long-term deal or a monetary offer that we won't be able to match...).

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Mr. Grigson agrees with this message.