Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D. Dakich show

Cynjin

I was talking to a friend earlier, he said that Dan Dakich said, on his radio show, that Dan was at an event with Colts players and that they told him that Pep's game plans were terrible.  The players felt that going into a game with Pep's plan that they couldn't compete.  I can't say I'm a fan of players speaking out like that, although I agree with their assessment, if true.

Did anyone else hear Dakich's show?

No, I did not listen to the show.

I suppose any time a player talks to a media guy, the conversation becomes fodder to be repeated on the air.  But having a conversation with Dakich at a media event is not really the same thing a publically calling out Pep.  It seems more like two guys who are very knowledgeable about sports having a conversation about what the real problems were.

I still maintain that Pep was being retained long after it became apparent that he wasn't cutting it at OC, going back to some of the performances during last season.  A lot of people thought that he was Grigson's guy.  I think Irsay was the one lengthening the timeline..

7 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I was talking to a friend earlier, he said that Dan Dakich said, on his radio show, that Dan was at an event with Colts players and that they told him that Pep's game plans were terrible.  The players felt that going into a game with Pep's plan that they couldn't compete.  I can't say I'm a fan of players speaking out like that, although I agree with their assessment, if true.

I heard it, Dan also said the players found it miserable to come to work. No wonder why we struggled. Since he's been gone we are 3-0. Andrew 1-0, Hass 2-0.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard it, Dan also said the players found it miserable to come to work....

Did they elaborate on this? What made it miserable to come to work - was Pep inappropriate? Did he affect the relationships? What made them miserable? 

When a reporter asked Andrew about Chud vs having Pep after the Denver game, Andrews eyes bucked wide open and he was shaking his head up and down.  That response told me everything I needed to know.  He still kept his spoken word response measured but you could tell he was like "This is a breath of fresh air"!

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard it, Dan also said the players found it miserable to come to work. No wonder why we struggled. Since he's been gone we are 3-0. Andrew 1-0, Hass 2-0.

And that was probably the source of the bad feeling within the organization, probably heading into the preseason since the players may have already questioned Pep's ability during last season.  Kravitz misreads the tension as a Grigson/Pagano issue.  Just a plausible speculation here.

1 hour ago, lester said:

Did they elaborate on this? What made it miserable to come to work - was Pep inappropriate? Did he affect the relationships? What made them miserable? 

Just speculating, but I assume if you are sweating each day in practice trying to do your job as best you can, but thinking that you have little chance of succeeding during the game due to matters beyond your control, it would probably be tough to get out of bed each morning.

1 hour ago, lester said:

He really didn't elaborate on it when I was listening, I just happen to listen to his show for maybe roughly 30 minutes because I had to go to the store earlier and caught where he said that but that is what Dan said. If you call his show and ask him he would probably be glad to answer that but that is exactly what he said.

Dakich is terrible but besides the point, I don't necessarily think Pep's gameplans were as "terrible" as they were complicated. One of the major changes that Chud implemented was simplifying the playbook and gameplan. This allowed for players to just simply play more loose and free and the results have been improved despite the team being without its starting QB. 

Not to toot my own horn but I'm going to.  I remember about half way through Pep's first year I was talking about how bad an OC he is.  How he was predictable, poor situation play calling, abandoned the run too early, too often and the only time the Colts O seemed to do well was when Luck went to the hurry up and called his own plays.

I was told I didn't know much about football that Pep is a good OC just outside of Luck and TY he had no talent to work with.

Last year, I again mentioned several times that I thought Pep is a bad OC and was basically told the same thing... of course he abandons the run he has TRich in the backfield and a poor oline, etc.

This year same thing, only now people started to see what I saw a long time ago.  Now, he's been let go and there has been a marked improvement in offensive efficiency even without Luck.  With Luck this offense is going to be very, very dangerous.

Whether they said it or not, it's clearly been the case.  At the same token, while it should be kept in house, I think it's one of those things that players do to get their voices out to the media so that basically everyone, from the coaches, to the fans are all pointing generally at the same person.  I know prior to pep's firing, there were poeple wanting Pagano gone too, and I think the players took exception to that which is why they went to guys like Dan.  I'm not sure it was such a bad thing in this case (and its' worked out so far), but obviously, players vent things they shouldn't to the media, so it has the potential to go in the wrong direction as well, which is why, generally speaking, it should be kept in house.

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not to toot my own horn but I'm going to.  I remember about half way through Pep's first year I was talking about how bad an OC he is.  How he was predictable, poor situation play calling, abandoned the run too early, too often and the only time the Colts O seemed to do well was when Luck went to the hurry up and called his own plays.

I was told I didn't know much about football that Pep is a good OC just outside of Luck and TY he had no talent to work with.

Last year, I again mentioned several times that I thought Pep is a bad OC and was basically told the same thing... of course he abandons the run he has TRich in the backfield and a poor oline, etc.

This year same thing, only now people started to see what I saw a long time ago.  Now, he's been let go and there has been a marked improvement in offensive efficiency even without Luck.  With Luck this offense is going to be very, very dangerous.

Offense is going to be deadly when Luck is back!  Hopefully he's back by the Texans game.  I think we are going to beat them handily.

Hopefully we will have put Holmes back in by then.  I can't take too much more of the Harrison fiasco.

16 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think there is a very good chance that the Colts go 10-6 and make some noise in the playoffs, and look very powerful doing it..with the only change being replacing Pep with Chud.

Contrast that result with what the media narrative was during the first half of the season.  I'm looking forward to gloating over the shear embarrassment the talking heads and article writers will feel if that happens.

37 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was pretty much with that sentiment from the start as well.  I felt that we owed some patience, being that he was new at it, though.  Last year, despite Luck's progress and the offensive numbers, I was pretty much completely on board that Pep was pretty bad at plan design, figuring that the offense was getting things done more like despite the poor game planning, rather than as a result of the game planning.  This year I was openly calling for him to be replaced pretty much right from the beginning of the season.

There's still some plays that have been called that still are too predictable.  For example, the TE in at FB is almost still always a run, though to be fair, they did, finally, play action pass out of that formation once or twice last game versus the Bucs.  I was like, FINALLY!  lol

Feeling much much better with Chud at OC, regardless.  Probably a move that should have been done last year, but in reality, I guess you gotta let Pep actually fail consistently before making the change?  One thing I am not buying into, however, is this notion by so many forum members that Pep was saddled upon Pagano by Grigson.  I see it as a joint decision to have brought on Pep and I am pretty darn sure that if Pagano didn't like it, be that at the time of hiring or even during the season last year, he would have had the power to demote or fire Pep from his coaching staff.  I just can't see Pagano as meekly being accepting of taking on an OC he didn't want.  Pretty sure it was a consensus hiring between Pags, Grigson, and Irsay.  Just glad they finally saw the light, though, in replacing Pep.

8 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I was pretty much with that sentiment from the start as well.  I felt that we owed some patience, being that he was new at it, though.  Last year, despite Luck's progress and the offensive numbers, I was pretty much completely on board that Pep was pretty bad at plan design, figuring that the offense was getting things done more like despite the poor game planning, rather than as a result of the game planning.  This year I was openly calling for him to be replaced pretty much right from the beginning of the season.

There's still some plays that have been called that still are too predictable.  For example, the TE in at FB is almost still always a run, though to be fair, they did, finally, play action pass out of that formation once or twice last game versus the Bucs.  I was like, FINALLY!  lol

Feeling much much better with Chud at OC, regardless.  Probably a move that should have been done last year, but in reality, I guess you gotta let Pep actually fail consistently before making the change?  One thing I am not buying into, however, is this notion by so many forum members that Pep was saddled upon Pagano by Grigson.  I see it as a joint decision to have brought on Pep and I am pretty darn sure that if Pagano didn't like it, be that at the time of hiring or even during the season last year, he would have had the power to demote or fire Pep from his coaching staff.  I just can't see Pagano as meekly being accepting of taking on an OC he didn't want.  Pretty sure it was a consensus hiring between Pags, Grigson, and Irsay.  Just glad they finally saw the light, though, in replacing Pep.

100% agree with the the Grigs and pagano statement. I think people are so hung up on hating Grigson that they just put anything that's wrong on him. I like Grigs and I like Pagano and I hope they both stay. Players seem like they want too work hard for pagano and that they really like them, and I love hor Grigs is always making moves always churning the roster and atleast taking swings at people while building a roster with youth and veterans nicely. Besides how many GM's really have the balls to completely overhaul a dline and start 2 rookies?

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Go ahead.  You deserve it!  :)

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Coffee you did say that , thought the same But thought maybe he would get better? Year 1 he sucked , year 2 I saw some improvement in some games, year 3 this year he regressed and was HORRIBLE! SOO glad he is gone!

2 hours ago, jet1968 said:

He probably just reads this forum.

Dan is that you?

I can't comment on an interview that I didn't listen to yet, but after Dan complemented our GM saying or inferring that Grigson is a man's man who answers the tough questions & doesn't dodge questions, let's just say that Dan's credibility isn't all that high with me. Plus, I don't wanna talk about the OC who is gone but the OC who is winning games.

Gavin was right when he said our offensive line has improved which Chud deserves praise for. I just watched the Colts vs the Bucs & our line actually gave Matthew time & windows to throw in. Moncrief was amazing on 3rd down in the 2nd half too keeping drives alive as well.

Slightly off topic but still relevant: I burst out loud laughing when Matt Millen broadcasting the game with Dick Stockton basically admitted on air that he had no business being the Lions President of Football Operations in Detroit. LOL! It took a ton of courage to disclose that publicly & he's not wrong. He did suck in that capacity. Kudos for admitting that Matt Millen. I'm very proud of you!

56 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This post is proof that not only does alcohol kill brain cells... but they never grow back.

A tad bit harsh CD, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I needed a good belly roll cackle today. :P

Nothing personal BBZ. SW1 can just picture CD saying that line with the perfect sarcastic pitch & pacing.

It just struck me as funny. If that makes me the anti-christ, so be it. I can live with that classification.

BTW, I get the irony of providing a 3 paragraph response on Dan's interview that I haven't listened to yet. Feel free to comedy central roast me if you want. It's only fair. I walked into my own bear trap & can take the justifiable heat.

Especially after I said "I can't comment on it." SW1 has always been longwinded & it's not the first time I commented on something without any frame or reference regarding a topic nor will it be the last. LOL! Okay, I'm done now in this thread I promise.

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

A tad bit harsh CD, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I needed a good belly roll cackle today. :P

Nothing personal BBZ. SW1 can just picture CD saying that line with the perfect sarcastic pitch & pacing.

It just struck me as funny. If that makes me the anti-christ, so be it. I can live with that classification.

Probably cruel but it's only for a very few posters who seem to never contribute anything meaningful to a thread.

And, not for you SW1, but for those that take offense to that... no, I don't think meaningful=positive.  I have read a lot of meaningful posts that are negative about the Colts. 

But I can pretty much guarantee that any posts that not only uses the word "dooey" but also uses it incorrectly, may have to suffer my wrath.  That's just the way I am.

On December 1, 2015 at 6:32:39 PM, Cynjin said:

Yeah I heard it, he almost made it sound like that was an issue they even addressed at the players meeting..............

If it is true, that is absolutely terrible.  The odd part is though, why or how did Peps game plan change so much to be so bad compared to the last two years???

6 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I heard it, he almost made it sound like that was an issue they even addressed at the players meeting..............

If it is true, that is absolutely terrible.  The odd part is though, why or how did Peps game plan change so much to be so bad compared to the last two years???

Well that would be interesting if Pep was the reason for that players only meeting that the Colts had earlier this year.  I know a lot of people didn't like Pep from the start, I like to give coaches and players time to see if they can develop, occasionally too much time.  Pep's game plans this season, IMO, regressed and did not make sense given the teams the Colts were playing.