Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keep D'Qwell Jackson, or no?

Superman

Keep D'Qwell Jackson or not?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep him or get rid of him?

Forget about the contract, forget about the draft, etc. Just based on how he's playing, do you think they should keep him for next year, or part ways?

Feel free to support your thinking however you'd like, but be sure to offer a clear opinion, independent of auxiliary factors.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying let him go.

He's playing really well right now against the run, but he can't cover anyone. He'll be 33 early next season, and is more likely to experience decline than he is to keep playing at the same level, which is already less than adequate overall. Even in a limited role, he can still be exploited.

Our biggest defensive weakness is rushing the passer, and the second biggest weakness is covering the middle of the field. Those are not complementary weaknesses if we want to be a top ten defense. As a matter of fact, they work in concert to weaken the effectiveness of the defense overall.

It's asking for a lot, but our ILBs need to be good against the run and against the pass. As difficult as that is to find, it's probably harder and more expensive to find disruptive pass rushers. We have to be able to cover the middle of the field with 6 or 7 men, instead of the customary 8 that we commit to the box. As long as we have one-dimensional ILBs, that will continue to be a problem.

I'm saying let him go.

He's playing really well right now against the run, but he can't cover anyone. He'll be 33 early next season, and is more likely to experience decline than he is to keep playing at the same level, which is already less than adequate overall. Even in a limited role, he can still be exploited.

Our biggest defensive weakness is rushing the passer, and the second biggest weakness is covering the middle of the field. Those are not complementary weaknesses if we want to be a top ten defense. As a matter of fact, they work in concert to weaken the effectiveness of the defense overall.

It's asking for a lot, but our ILBs need to be good against the run and against the pass. As difficult as that is to find, it's probably harder and more expensive to find disruptive pass rushers. We have to be able to cover the middle of the field with 6 or 7 men, instead of the customary 8 that we commit to the box. As long as we have one-dimensional ILBs, that will continue to be a problem.

LBers that are legitimately good at both stopping the run and covering are hard to get now days. Would sure be nice to get at least one though. You see any that could be on the free agent market this off season?

I didn't vote because I say yes D'Qwell, no D'Qwell about equal in a game. I'm really not sure. I'd rather have the perfect ILB but that's a dubious request. If the staff reduces his role by having a real rotation I say keep. I really think Moore and Irving have a ton of upside but depth is critical at ILB and D'QWell does provide leadership.

I'm saying let him go.

Your last sentence couldn't be more true. With that said, bring in some youthful Von Miller tenacity.

Need to first know who the next GM and coach will be and what their philosophy will be moving forward. That said, I expect quite a bit of turnover, and Jackson seems to be a good candidate.

or if there is a new GM or coach, if this team rallies without Luck and goes say 9-7 and gets into the playoffs and wins a game or two that will make it hard for Irsay to fire people.

he very well could start to decline next year or this year even but he very well could have a couple solid more years in him and i dont know who we could replace him with. with freeman picking up the coverages the tandem are pretty effective but put in a spot where they both have to cover... plus jackson can blitz pretty well from the inside.if you cut jackson who do you replace him with? Irving is not the answer dont know why so many people are mentioning him. Moore possibly but i havent seen anything that shows me hes ready to be a starter over DQ. id keep him at the same price one more year if possible

Forget about the contract, forget about the draft, etc. Just based on how he's playing, do you think they should keep him for next year, or part ways?

Feel free to support your thinking however you'd like, but be sure to offer a clear opinion, independent of auxiliary factors.

I voted keep him as you asked us not to take his contract into consideration. He is good linebacker close to the line of scrimmage but he is horrific in coverage and thus does not offer the versatility that is needed as a starter in a top defense.

If I could, I'd keep him as a rotational/backup player.

I'd rather replace Freeman than DQ. <- If you would've asked me that a year or two ago, I would've said the opposite. At least DQ is constant, and Freeman seems to be dinged up all the time. 

DQ's having a really good year this year. He's old and can't cover, but he wrecks it in the run game. Personally I don't think he warrants the $5.7M/yr though.

Irving and Moore make less than that combined. 

I say keep him. He's a liability in coverage, but name linebackers who can play both the pass and run. They're either pro bowlers or locked up long-term with their respective teams. I'd prefer to let Freeman walk.

This. . . LB's that can both cover and stop the run well don't grow on trees.  It's not like you can just reach into free agency and find a half dozen of them.  

Any decision to let someone go is predicated on how easy it is to replace them with what you want.  And if the cause for getting rid of D'Qwell is he's not very good against the pass, then you have to ask yourself how easy it would be to find and aquire a LB who's just as good against the run as D'Qwell is but better against the pass.  

And if you think that it would be easy to find that LB who's just as good against the run but better against the pass you are living in a fantasy land.  At that point you might as well cut Luck because he's not Aaron Rodgers.  

I'd rather replace Freeman than DQ. <- If you would've asked me that a year or two ago, I would've said the opposite. At least DQ is constant, and Freeman seems to be dinged up all the time. 

DQ's having a really good year this year. He's old and can't cover, but he wrecks it in the run game. Personally I don't think he warrants the $5.7M/yr though.

Irving and Moore make less than that combined. 

Not a fair comparison.  Moore is still on a rookie deal.  Also his pro-rated salary isn't being counted in because the Raider's paid that when they traded him away.