Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know you all are thinking it. Luck was the one to blame

Cribbsfaircatch

No that is not what I was thinking.

And to be fair, I think what many are thinking is they prefer the play calling with Hasselbeck. Granted keep this in mind too, we just played two awful teams. I am not sure we can handle NE as a team but I do have a funny feeling this won't be a blow out.

And I also feel blessed to have two quality QBs.

Context, dude. Luck playedt two top class defenses (Bills and Jet), while Hasselbeck played two of the worst teams in the NFL.

The Titans game is the only thing that really bothered me in terms of Luck's performance. He needs to take care of the ball, and I truly think by watching Matt is these last two games (albeit against putrid opponents), Luck realizes he needs to get the ball out quickly and throw it away if under pressure. 

Honestly guys, we don't know the true extent of Lucks injury so it could happen. But just by viewing Luck on the sidelines and Hasselbeck having no knowledge of Luck not practicing while he was in the hospital, I think Luck makes it back.

Matt played well, very well... but it was the JAGS and TEXANS.. not the Patriots. Pep has to realize that the short passing game and run game beats the Pats by keeping our offense on the field; and Luck needs to realize he is not superman and to live to see another play.

Context, dude. Luck playedt two top class defenses (Bills and Jet), while Hasselbeck played two of the worst teams in the NFL.

The Titans game is the only thing that really bothered me in terms of Luck's performance. He needs to take care of the ball, and I truly think by watching Matt is these last two games (albeit against putrid opponents), Luck realizes he needs to get the ball out quickly and throw it away if under pressure. 

TN is playing some good ball... I bet they finish second in our division this year and win 5 or more games which is a nice improvement with a rookie QB.  They are well coached and in a couple more years will be serious competition for us.  Heck, the nearly beat us this year already and I imagine they'll tear up Houston and Jacksonville.  

I'd like to see him sit out the NE just to confirm

Have you not been watching the games?  They completely changed the way they ran their offense.  See 4th quarter against the Titans.  Also, the games they won were against divisional opponents.  We still have yet to see them beat a quality opponent even though the divisional wins are great.  The whole team as a unit played terribly the first two games and I could pretty much guarantee you the same results with Hasselbeck playing against Buffalo and NY.  It's not rocket science.

Ditch the Luck hate, he will be more than fine in the long run. 

One thing I wish we did know though was how bad off Luck really is health wise. I really wish we knew the full extent of how bad this is.

I'm not being snarky or rude when asking this, but what makes people think the injury is worse than it is?

Has anyone tried to throw a football or baseball with a bruised shoulder?

In my collegiate baseball days, I endured a badly bruised shoulder and didn't play for 2-3 weeks.  As an outfielder, it was simply too painful to throw and every time I tried to "gut it out," I put myself back to square one.

Just some perspective - a bruise in the wrong area can be a major limiting factor when you're trying to sling footballs 40+ yards down the field in between being blasted by 250+ lb defenders running full speed at you.

Well, I  know people don't like to look at it like that, but I think Luck is partially to blame. Go back to that long throw he made to TY two weeks ago.  Great play by TY on a 50/50 ball.  But if you watch the play, Andre Johnson is uncovered in the right flat about 10 yards down the field.  In looking at Lucks play this year using  the coaches film, sometimes it seems like he predetermines who he is throwing to before the play starts, even if that is not the guy open. I know the will be consider blasemy, but you have to wonder.  We all ripped Bruce Arians for getting Luck killed with long passes.  So they bring in Pep in the hopes of more checkdowns, slants, and screens.  But yet, we see long passes.  If this Pep or is that Luck wanting to play gunslinger?  Its a fair question.

No that is not what I was thinking.

And to be fair, I think what many are thinking is they prefer the play calling with Hasselbeck. Granted keep this in mind too, we just played two awful teams. I am not sure we can handle NE as a team but I do have a funny feeling this won't be a blow out.

And I also feel blessed to have two quality QBs.

New England is not all that impressive defensive wise. Their run defense is fairly shaky. They've got some good pass rushers but I think if we continue to play this style of ball we can eliminate much of it. I say we have better horses than the guys they have in the secondary. That is the truth about them. The issue is that offense of theirs puts a lot of pressure on people. Their defense only has to be good enough to get a turnover or two and hand it over to the offense.

No i wasn't but thanks alot. Now i am.

haha

But i was thinking Andrew Nd maybe Pep could learn from this.

Looks to me that individual players have all stepped up to make a major collective improvement. Far less penalties and virtually no turnovers is a 180 degree flip. If Luck can just work on having a shorter "clock", i think we'll see big changes. The rest of the team has to have developed some confidence too.

Maybe Matt should start next week? I kid ( or do i?)

I'm not saying Hasselbeck is better from an athletic standpoint, but he does seem to make better decisions with the ball.  0 turnovers in 2 games and I don't think he has been sacked many times if any.  I guess we'll see as the season plays out if Luck has learned from watching Matt that realing it in a little bit is a good thing.

I'm not saying Hasselbeck is better from an athletic standpoint, but he does seem to make better decisions with the ball. 0 turnovers in 2 games and I don't think he has been sacked many times if any. I guess we'll see as the season plays out if Luck has learned from watching Matt that realing it in a little bit is a good thing.

I expect anonymous sources(olinemen) to start leaking things like this to the media. A lot of Luck's issues is Luck. Checking out of stuff, holding on yo the ball and just making bad throws.

People are making too much of the Jets and Bills.  They aren't exactly juggernauts...a legit Super Bowl contender (like the Colts were thought to be) should have been able to find a way to beat them. The Eagles and the Giants didn't have too much trouble with the vaunted Jets and Bills defenses respectively. So I'm not buying that top class defense excuse.  Luck didn't exactly light it up against the lowly Titans either.  He had a great 4th quarter.  He's got to be more consistent.  All that said...I FULLY expect that Luck will get it into gear...real soon. 

People are making too much of the Jets and Bills.  They aren't exactly juggernauts...a legit Super Bowl contender (like the Colts were thought to be) should have been able to find a way to beat them. The Eagles and the Giants didn't have too much trouble with the vaunted Jets and Bills defenses respectively. So I'm not buying that top class defense excuse.  Luck didn't exactly light it up against the lowly Titans either.  He had a great 4th quarter.  He's got to be more consistent.  All that said...I FULLY expect that Luck will get it into gear...real soon. 

I think Luck has been hurt since the season started. And I think his shoulder is a reason for some erratic throwing as well.

And until he is 100% or hell 90% I don't think he should play.

You can't turn the ball over as much as he has been. I think he is our best option to win games against good teams but ONLY if he is healthy enough to do so.

And Hasselbeck is an excellent backup to have but I think even as fans we realize it's short term due to age.

We need Luck healthy since we are going to have him a long long time. Irsay knows this too. I hope they only put him out there healthy. We have to think long term here with Luck as well as short term.

I'd like to see him sit out the NE just to confirm

You must've been miserable tonight!

Almost everyone that you HATE did really, really well tonight!

Lets see.....   Hasselbeck, Gore, Andre Johnson,  the offensive line,  Grigson,  Pagano.....    I'm sure I'm missing a few others,  but everyone here gets the idea......

You're a professional HATER.      Worse,  you're a professional hater who knows NOTHING about football.

If you can't figure out why no one takes you seriously,  you might want to consider threads like this on a night when the team wins.........

Seriously,  you just don't know when to give it a rest.....

And dare I say, I like the velocity of Matts passes.

Again,  there's no stoppiing you when you're wrong....

The truth is,  Matt doesn't have much velocity.     Or didn't you see the game?

But he has touch and timing and accuracy and anticipation.   But his velocity has seen much better days.   He can still win without it.     You might want to make a note of it.

New England is not all that impressive defensive wise. Their run defense is fairly shaky. They've got some good pass rushers but I think if we continue to play this style of ball we can eliminate much of it. I say we have better horses than the guys they have in the secondary. That is the truth about them. The issue is that offense of theirs puts a lot of pressure on people. Their defense only has to be good enough to get a turnover or two and hand it over to the offense.

What you just said was absolutely on the money. Steelers moved the ball on them at will, but what did them in was they got stupid when they got into the red zone, not to mention they were missing Bryant & Bell, otherwise I think they walk outta NE with the win in spite of their inability to cover Gronk. Butler is scrappy, but if he shadows T.Y. the whole game, T.Y. will clown that man something serious since I highly doubt BB is gonna double him like he did both times last year. Also there's no JJ Watt on that defense so Andrew should have fairly good protection & Frank should have another quality game.

You must've been miserable tonight!

Almost everyone that you HATE did really, really well tonight!

Lets see..... Hasselbeck, Gore, Andre Johnson, the offensive line, Grigson, Pagano..... I'm sure I'm missing a few others, but everyone here gets the idea......

You're a professional HATER. Worse, you're a professional hater who knows NOTHING about football.

If you can't figure out why no one takes you seriously, you might want to consider threads like this on a night when the team wins.........

Seriously, you just don't know when to give it a rest.....

What r u even talking about? I never said 1 bad word about Frank.

And Pagano and Co have mastered winning jv gms. Lets see how they do next wk vs varsity

I think Luck has been hurt since the season started. And I think his shoulder is a reason for some erratic throwing as well.

You can't turn the ball over as much as he has been. I think he is our best option to win games against good teams but ONLY if he is healthy enough to do so.

And Hasselbeck is an excellent backup to have but I think even as fans we realize it's short term due to age.

We need Luck healthy since we are going to have him a long long time. Irsay knows this too. I hope they only put him out there healthy. We have to think long term here with Luck as well as short term.

yep, this is exactly why Matt was signed, to be a short term answer if something happened to Luck. Worth every penny while the franchise gets healthy.

I do hope Luck has been noticing how quick Matt dumps the ball and takes what the defense gives him and not every play has to be a home run. If Luck starts doing that then this offense might very well become the unstoppable monster people thought it would be.

As much as some might not want to admit Luck was part of the problem you aren't being either though if you don't acknowledge the job the line has done in the past two games. They have been significantly better than what they were in the first three weeks. So just like I felt like the struggles at the start of the year were a combination of things including the QB I think the fix has also been a combination of things.

perhaps Luck has been hurt longer than we know. Maybe he was hurt in Bills game. He also took some shots in the preseason. Chicago game comes to mind.