Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are we going to stop Gronkowski?

SilentHill

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had problems with TE's especially over the middle, all season long.

Can we stop him? Does our chance to win hinge on this?

Hate to be a downer, but we won't stop him. We have to pressure Brady and double cover Gronk, that's about all we can do to minimize the damage. Hopefully we can keep him from making any big plays or td catches.

We've had problems with TE's especially over the middle, all season long.

Can we stop him? Does our chance to win hinge on this?

I'm on the sick side so if someone can get me to meet Gronk about a week before the game I could cough on my hand and make sure to shake his hand when I meet him.  

Maybe if I can meet Brady too it would be a bonus.

Honestly I don't think you can stop Gronk.  

Its going to be awfully tough.  Lets be honest, the Colts won easily last night but the Giants helped with that.  If NYs passing attack didn't miss so many passes it could have been much closer.  So to play NE where you know Brady will attack those soft spots over the middle is going to be tough.  I do hope the Colts get back to running more in that game.  

There is no "Stopping Gronk", but I do look for Manusky to stir up a recipe that will contain him.  I think the defense will perform exceptionally well at home against the Pats on SNF.  We will take away the RB's & TE as much as possible, and will make Brady beat us with other WR's.  I like our chances with that because Toler and Butler can hold their own.  Unless Brady controls the tempo and TOP (which is possible) I don't think the Patriots will be able to pull out the W in Lucas Oil Stadium!

I like what BB does with athletic TEs. when he played graham last year, he put talib on him. against julius thomas, he played revis on him. why not give davis a try on gronk

Gronk is better than both those guys combined.

I don't think we stop him.  The mistake that a lot of teams make is that they put two guys on Gronk and guys like Edelman and Lafell get man coverage.  Let him get his 100 something yards and a TD, and focus on stopping their mediocre receiving core.  And of course somehow try to get pressure on Brady.

How do we stop Gronk?  With a baseball bat while he sleeps....

If you are talking about during the game then we need to jam him at the line and double him with a LB and a Safety.  Risk a couple PI or Illegal Contact penalties to get him off his route.  Let Davis and Toler handle their men on the outside and force Brady to hold the ball longer than normal.

Can't allow those quick slants to gash us like we normally do.

Need to stop the run like we did last night to force N.E. into a once dimensional attack.

Werner and Newsome were pretty good last night.  need to keep it up.

Gronk is better than both those guys combined.

I don't think we stop him.  The mistake that a lot of teams make is that they put two guys on Gronk and guys like Edelman and Lafell get man coverage.  Let him get his 100 something yards and a TD, and focus on stopping their mediocre receiving core.  And of course somehow try to get pressure on Brady.

not saying he isnt. I just like the idea

Our coaches should spend a long time looking at what the Jets and Dolphins do they seem to have the Pats number .

The biggest thing that they do it to get pressure on Brady.  You have to sack him, get him off his spot.  The DBs have to take away the Pats WRs and make Brady hold the ball.  I heard Mike Ditka talk about home Denver gave Gronk a free release almost every play.  More has to be done to interrupt their timing.  We are in trouble if Brady is allowed to get comfortable

Everytime it is a 3rd and long (which I would say is 7 yards or more to go), I'd come with a double A gap blitz, and force Brady to thread the needle to the outside wideouts and I like our chances. Clog the middle, that is how the Jets play Brady.

Butler on Edelman, Toler on Lafell and VD on Gronk, I am all for that. The Pats do quick play action, so there is less time to get to the QB, so the key is blitzing down the middle and mixing it up, and tipping balls at the line of scrimmage. If we tip a few balls for INTs, it will work for us, IMO, especially at home.

I think we need to play single high coverage, and bracket Gronkowski with a LB and a safety. When he's on the outside, we can send more pressure to force a quicker decision from Brady.

I like this idea, but if we play Landry over Brown, we are sunk. 

Remember when Thomas (Broncos) juked Landry out of his shoes for the TD catch? 

I like this idea, but if we play Landry over Brown, we are sunk. 

Remember when Thomas (Broncos) juked Landry out of his shoes for the TD catch? 

Did you see the Broncos/Pats game? Gronk juked Von Miller out of his shoes for a TD, pretty much the same situation.

I think Landry is okay. Brown is okay, too. Not too much difference between the two of them, IMO, except everyone hates Landry.

Gronkowski is the best tight end in the league. When he's healthy, which he is now, you're probably not gonna stop him.

One thing I've noticed about the Pats this year is that they've struggled to push the ball in on the ground in the redzone. It seems like Brady has to throw for touchdowns most of the time even when they're within 2 yards.

We won't Stop Gronk. If we double cover him then Edelman and Lafell will make us Look like fools with Tom Brady throwing them the ball

Between Davis, Toler, Butler I think we can limit if not just about take those guys out of the game. Gronk is tge big concern.

Gronkowski is the best tight end in the league. When he's healthy, which he is now, you're probably not gonna stop him.

One thing I've noticed about the Pats this year is that they've struggled to push the ball in on the ground in the redzone. It seems like Brady has to throw for touchdowns most of the time even when they're within 2 yards.

Sounds like us.

I can understand having a little humility about this game, but some of you talk about the Pats like we are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and they are the 85 bears or something.  Sure they are a good team, but so are we.  We are putting up darn near 40 points a game, but somehow the mentality around here has switched so much with the loss to Pittsburgh. Our defense can still play, yes Pittsburgh was a bad showing on D but it was one game.  The Patriots had even bigger failures against the Chiefs.

It's to the point where many of you are convinced these guys are going to come into OUR HOUSE and whip us with almost no question about it. With an opportunity to get revenge and very good playoff seed positioning on the line, do you really think our boyz are going to let that slip away in Lucas Oil Stadium?  I'm telling you right now we are going to win that game.  Maybe I'd feel another way if it was being played in Foxborough, but not this time around.  I think we are going to handle our business.......

I don't care about Gronk, he's not the whole team.  We'll find a way to get it done.

You'll be surprised at What Tom Brady can do with time.

Ohh I know.. trust me! But I dont think those recivers will shred us. They may make some plays of course. But thats gonna happen. Thing with NE us they will take what D gives them and run with it and put points up. Now if they do a little of what Pitt did.. then we could be in trouble. But my question regarding that is, is it that we were more so not prepared defensively for how the played us offensively than the fact that we're not capable of defending it? I wonder if we just flat out it didn't see it coming and therefore were not prepared.

I can understand having a little humility about this game, but some of you talk about the Pats like we are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and they are the 85 bears or something.  Sure they are a good team, but so are we.  We are putting up darn near 40 points a game, but somehow the mentality around here has switched so much with the loss to Pittsburgh. Our defense can still play, yes Pittsburgh was a bad showing on D but it was one game.  The Patriots had even bigger failures against the Chiefs.

It's to the point where many of you are convinced these guys are going to come into OUR HOUSE and whip us with almost no question about it. With an opportunity to get revenge and very good playoff seed positioning on the line, do you really think our boyz are going to let that slip away in Lucas Oil Stadium?  I'm telling you right now we are going to win that game.  Maybe I'd feel another way if it was being played in Foxborough, but not this time around.  I think we are going to handle our business.......

I don't care about Gronk, he's not the whole team.  We'll find a way to get it done.

I couldn't agree with you more man. This is like the 10th "we can't beat the Patriots" thread already. Playing scared gets you nowhere in this league. That's why the Broncos lost.  All Brady has is Gronkowski. Damn that's it. We have TY, Wayne, Moncrief, Allen, and the list goes on and on.

Gronk is going to eat us alive with the way we play against TE's. I'd like to see how Davis will do on him but I feel like he'll be lined up on LaFell or Edelman instead. Either we keep Brady off the field for as long as we can and come up on offense, or we send Gronk to the nearest frat party in Indiana. 

I don't see who we have besides Davis that can cover that man, I'm not even sure about it.