Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are we going to stop Gronkowski?

SilentHill

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the Broncos/Pats game? Gronk juked Von Miller out of his shoes for a TD, pretty much the same situation.

I think Landry is okay. Brown is okay, too. Not too much difference between the two of them, IMO, except everyone hates Landry.

Lol, whole lotta juking goin' on. 

IMO, the only thing LaRoid is better at than Sergio is whiffing on scud missile style tackling. (or trying to) 

I couldn't agree with you more man. This is like the 10th "we can't beat the Patriots" thread already. Playing scared gets you nowhere in this league. That's why the Broncos lost.  All Brady has is Gronkowski. Damn that's it. We have TY, Wayne, Moncrief, Allen, and the list goes on and on.

Edelmen is also one of Brady's favorite targets. If we somehow cover those two guys, we may be in good shape. The crowd needs to be loud as hell too!

I like what BB does with athletic TEs. when he played graham last year, he put talib on him. against julius thomas, he played revis on him. why not give davis a try on gronk

This is the only reasonable approach. NE doesn't have top notch receivers. Put Toler on Edelman who is just a slot guy and let Davis go one on one with Gronk. Or double him with maybe Gordy and Davis, and play Mike Adams in the box since we know NE is going to try and run it like they did last year. Neutralize Gronk and you make them have to throw deep, which they can't because they don't have a guy who can play on the outside and make T.Y. Hilton like plays

This is the only reasonable approach. NE doesn't have top notch receivers. Put Toler on Edelman who is just a slot guy and let Davis go one on one with Gronk. Or double him with maybe Gordy and Davis, and play Mike Adams in the box since we know NE is going to try and run it like they did last year. Neutralize Gronk and you make them have to throw deep, which they can't because they don't have a guy who can play on the outside and make T.Y. Hilton like plays

Love this idea. The only thing I disagree with is putting Toler on Edelman. Butler (assuming he's fully healthy and ready to go) thrives on defending receivers like Edelman and then Toler can go against LaFell which is also a better matchup for the Colts.

honestly Im not overly concerned with stopping gronk because no team can stop gronk. what im concerned with is pressuring brady. the reason they dismantled the broncos was because brady had his 30 min pocket. 

Love this idea. The only thing I disagree with is putting Toler on Edelman. Butler (assuming he's fully healthy and ready to go) thrives on defending receivers like Edelman and then Toler can go against LaFell which is also a better matchup for the Colts.

You may be right. Butler on Edleman and Toler on Lafell would be a safer bet.  Although I'm not sure if it should be Davis/Gordy or Davis/Brown on the double team.

honestly Im not overly concerned with stopping gronk because no team can stop gronk. what im concerned with is pressuring brady. the reason they dismantled the broncos was because brady had his 30 min pocket. 

If I'm not mistaken the Pats have been starting a rookie center and guard on their O-Line right? If I'm Manusky, I want Cory Redding lined up against that rookie guard, because he'll have him for Lunch.

Brady was pressured plenty actually. He was sacked and took some big hits. He bought a lot of time by moving outside the pocket.

sure, but most of the time brady was back there, taking his time, and dissecting the defense

The line did a good job. Not great. But at this point the Oline has gelled and is playing well as a unit. If Denver did not get pressure consistently with their line not sure the Colts will.

The line did a good job. Not great. But at this point the Oline has gelled and is playing well as a unit. If Denver did not get pressure consistently with their line not sure the Colts will.

you do realize we have just as many sacks as the broncos

Gronk is better than both those guys combined.

I don't think we stop him. The mistake that a lot of teams make is that they put two guys on Gronk and guys like Edelman and Lafell get man coverage. Let him get his 100 something yards and a TD, and focus on stopping their mediocre receiving core. And of course somehow try to get pressure on Brady.

This makes sense. Limit Brady to one receiver instead of slowing down one and opening up 2.

This makes sense. Limit Brady to one receiver instead of slowing down one and opening up 2.

Meh. We have favorable matchups against the other receivers. Davis, Toler and Butler are more than capable of hanging with their outside/slot guys in man coverage. The mismatch is Gronk. 

The point is that Denver has a better pass rush than we do. I stated that verbatim in the last post.

you also said in one extra game. we've matched their sack production with less pressures and two games with no sacks. you cant say their better all because they have miller and ware if we're matching their production without also our best pass rusher

We have to get pressure...make the ball come out early...keep the throws short and tackle in front of the sticks....that team is just too good to shut down unless we get a major pass rush like Miami/KC got. Early in the season I would like our chances to get pressure on NE...but lately....I'm not optimistic....I do think you have to cover with a LB and give plenty of safety help over the top. I would much rather they go 80 yds on 5-6 yd outs all night then get those big gashing 20-30yd seem routes.

you also said in one extra game. we've matched their sack production with less pressures and two games with no sacks. you cant say their better all because they have miller and ware if we're matching their production without also our best pass rusher

Yes I can. Especially when we blitz more than they do, out of necessity. The fact that they have two really good/great edge rushers, and we don't really have any (reserving judgment on Werner and Newsome), is part of the reason. 

I don't really think it's an argument. I've stated my piece. We're both entitled to our own opinions, but I think it's pretty clear that they have a better pass rush than we do, all things considered.

Yes I can. Especially when we blitz more than they do, out of necessity. The fact that they have two really good/great edge rushers, and we don't really have any (reserving judgment on Werner and Newsome), is part of the reason. 

I don't really think it's an argument. I've stated my piece. We're both entitled to our own opinions, but I think it's pretty clear that they have a better pass rush than we do, all things considered.

pressure is pressure regardless of where it comes from rather its two players or all 11

You don't have to get sacks....as long as you get pressure on most qbs that is almost as good as a sack....and if you get constant pressure AND sacks...well that is even better. Its one thing to get pressure and sacks blitzing....its an entirely different things to get that same pressure rushing only 4 and dropping 7 in coverage...much different.

You don't have to get sacks....as long as you get pressure on most qbs that is almost as good as a sack....and if you get constant pressure AND sacks...well that is even better. Its one thing to get pressure and sacks blitzing....its an entirely different things to get that same pressure rushing only 4 and dropping 7 in coverage...much different.

yea because dropping 7 really helped the broncos with brady. my point is we shouldn't be overlooked by how we get sacks, but the fact that we do and do it just as good as the broncos. if you think getting sacks is as easy as just blitzing then why do the falcons only have 7 sacks?

pressure is pressure regardless of where it comes from rather its two players or all 11

If you get pressure by blitzing and don't get to the qb and he completes the pass.....BAD things typically happen....if you are only rushing 4 and force the ball out quickly and he still completes it....its probably 6 to 7 yd route....at worst a first down...I'm sorry...its not even close to the same thing. Great qbs know where to go with the ball when blitzed and get it out early...Brady/Manning/Brees eat up blitzs for breakfast....when you get pressure with 4 and they aren't expecting it...you typically really affect them a lot....ask Seattle in the SB....heck even against us last year we got after Manning just rushing our down lineman and it bothered him.

yea because dropping 7 really helped the broncos with brady

Brady isn't most qbs....CLEARLY. But then again Denver didn't get great pressure rushing just 4. I can count on only one hand how many times they affected his throws...out of 55 tosses...that wasn't good. That said sure if your 7 don't cover it doesn't matter....that game was poor execution in every phase of the game....there really is nothing you can take from that game honestly....poor play is ALWAYS poor play.

If you get pressure by blitzing and don't get to the qb and he completes the pass.....BAD things typically happen....if you are only rushing 4 and force the ball out quickly and he still completes it....its probably 6 to 7 yd route....at worst a first down...I'm sorry...its not even close to the same thing. Great qbs know where to go with the ball when blitzed and get it out early...Brady/Manning/Brees eat up blitzs for breakfast....when you get pressure with 4 and they aren't expecting it...you typically really affect them a lot....ask Seattle in the SB....heck even against us last year we got after Manning just rushing our down lineman and it bothered him.

you dont get there with 4 guys, bad things still happen. you cant cover forever

A defense that consistently gets pressure with just four guys is better at rushing the passer than a defense that has to send 5+ to get pressure. Try sending all 11 and see how much pressure you get on the QB.

A defense that consistently gets pressure with just four guys is better at rushing the passer than a defense that has to send 5+ to get pressure. Try sending all 11 and see how much pressure you get on the QB.

and if you pressure with 4 and dont get there like in the pats game thats the result you get

and if you pressure with 4 and dont get there like in the pats game thats the result you get

And if you blitz and don't get there you get the Steelers game.....so yeah...you are screwed either way if you face a good qb and don't get pressure. Point being even if you blitz and get pressure a lot of times good qbs will still beat you by getting the ball out so quick...if you get pressure with just 4 and you don't sack the qb you still have much better chance with 7 defenders covering 3 or 4 guys. Point being....Denver didn't get consistant pressure NOR  did they cover....and thats REALLY bad. We've seen it time and again....great qbs aren't typically affected by blitzes..because it opens holes in the defense and they get the ball there quickly. That is why Brady has OWNED Blitzburg his ENTIRE career....while teams that get after him tyically with their front four like Miami and Baltimore or KC did earlier this year did with just their normal front 4 cause more problems. A qb facing a defense that isn't blitzing is typically going to try to hold onto the ball longer or wait on plays to develope...one that is being blitzed knows he has to get it out fast or changes his protection and then attacks. I know what your saying....no pressure your going to get killed in this league...and really if you get to the qb either way its still the same result....and I just think that forcing a quick throw vs 7 defenders usually is a good result vs a quick throw vs a 5 or 6...because if they expect it they get it out faster....but a sack is a sack.

No question we have to do better than the Broncos did against the Pats. I still don't think there's any question that they have a better pass rush.

Also, some QBs do better vs the blitz than others. So our blitzing approach might be better vs one team than the Broncos four man rush is. I'd still rather have their pass rush than ours.

Jam him with Werner or whoever our other OLB will be while jamming the wr's while Freeman or and Jackson drop back in position to play him, Then after Werner releases rush him at Brady...The idea being that someone as big as Werner could hopefully slow him down just enough to throw off Bradys timing.. or shift our DE's over Gronk to jam him

Impossible to stop the guy.

You can only hope to limit the damage he does. I would imagine he gets double covered almost every single play. None of their other WRs need to be doubled, so lets roll coverage and really punish Gronk when he comes off of the line of scrimmage.