Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season Expectations

jskinnz

Maybe a little early to do this but I am curious of what people's honest, gun to head, non-homer thoughts are for the upcoming season. 

I believe if there are positive answers to the questions that are still out there - mainly o'line, safety and a return to health for some key people, that they are up there with Denver and New England in the AFC.  Could be a top two seed if all goes well.  I like their additions on D with Jackson and Jones.  I think the offense will score points and Luck becomes truly elite this season. 

And if the questions are not answered positively I think they are still a playoff team because of 12 but just not a team that has a real chance to advance too far.

O-Line is a HUGE question and if it doesn't succeed our offense won't ever be able to be what it is capable of. If our offensive line is average we will have a top 5 offense. If they are anything below that no way we have a top 5 offense.

If we can stay relatively healthy on defense I think our defense will take big steps this season! Possibly a top 10 or close to it this year overall.

Through all of this I say we come out with 11 wins this season. If everyone is healthy we can have a deep run in the playoffs!

Given the talent on the team, I think making it to the AFCCG would be a successful season.  Making it to the Super Bowl would be overachieving.  We made it to the divisional round last year, so the next step is to go to the AFCCG.  While a top 2 seed is possible, I don't see it happening this year.

Given the talent on the team, I think making it to the AFCCG would be a successful season.  Making it to the Super Bowl would be overachieving.  We made it to the divisional round last year, so the next step is to go to the AFCCG.  While a top 2 seed is possible, I don't see it happening this year.

I agree.  Heck, things could change drastically as early as Saturday night that would alter our expectations, so you never know.

Right now, I feel the offense is going to be special.  Maybe top 5.  I still have my doubts about a Mathis-less defense.  I hope I'm wrong.

If we beat Denver in week 1, I think a one seed is very possible. Not necessarily saying that that is my expectation, but I believe it is doable. If not, we're probably the 2 or 3 seed, and I'm really hoping to make it to the AFCCG this year. Once you make it that far, anything, including a super bowl win, is possible!

I think this year will feel something like last year... 

I think we win the division with 10-11 wins in the regular season.

I think we win the first round playoff game but without one of those miracle comebacks...

And I think we'll likely lose the 2nd round playoff game.    Sorry,  but I just don't see the championship level defense.    And I'm still worried about the OL.

I think a championship level roster is still being built.    It'll take another year or two.

I think a lot depends on the health of Holmes if he can stay healthy we should be able to do what we want on offense to just about any D in the league. If the D can stay healthy I think we are a lot better than people think. We have Davis Toler and Butler at CB the front 7 is as strong and deep as ever. I don't see a reason we can't make a long run in the playoffs.

I know staying healthy is a big IF but we are due to not get killed with injuries at some point. We don't even have to stay injury free just not big hits. Guys like Adongo who were probably not making the team anyway. We have pretty good depth everywhere but O Line.

It isn't like the AFC is loaded NE is not the power they once were. I am not as impressed with Denver as most I actually look at the QB's playoff record. He has gone one and done after winning a playoff game the year before every year but one and statistics are really against the Bronco's getting back to the Super Bowl. I do a bit of wagering so I track that sort of thing.  I would imagine the North teams will be back to beating each other up this year. One will prove to be a tough out.

I don't really see anyone in the AFC that I think man I wouldn't want to play them except a healthy Colts team.

Lots of 3rd and longs for our D and Andrew will get some time and we will be pounding the ___ out of a bunch of mediocre teams.
 This roster will be 55-60- men deep. With LOTS of good young prospects to develop over the next 1- 2+ years.

Mewhort & Thornton will be very so so, even by seasons end, but the unit could still jump to decent enough as Andrew improves his ability to slice D`s up in the shorter game.

And just no telling how healthy/good we will be come playoff time, but there is every reason to believe we can be nicely balanced and very competitive on both sides of the ball.

I think this year will feel something like last year... 

I think we win the division with 10-11 wins in the regular season.

I think we win the first round playoff game but without one of those miracle comebacks...

And I think we'll likely lose the 2nd round playoff game.    Sorry,  but I just don't see the championship level defense.    And I'm still worried about the OL.

I think a championship level roster is still being built.    It'll take another year or two.

I agree with this, with the caveat that health and momentum could either sink us early in the playoffs, but could also have us getting our 2nd consecutive playoff in in this new era (in one season). Yes, a SB appearance is a real possibility, but our depth and health issues are just as real. 

12-4, win division, first round playoff win. I believe that's the best we can do this season.

Sidenote: first season under Pags where the Colts will have back to back losses.

I'd be happy simply being above .500 and making the playoffs though, keep expectations fairly low.

I believe 2015 is the Colts year though. I expect a real playoff run after this year.

1.11-5 1 win and done in playoffs in 2nd round

2.More consistent execution on both sides of the ball

3.Pep to be so predictable with his playcalling while changing some of route concepts near the goal line (Im hoping Dwayne Allen stays healthy since he is key)

I think every one focuses on our injury issues a bit much, while its easy to say that yes if we get hit again this year like last year we will not go far in the playoffs, its also just as easy to say if new england / denver have injury problems we could be challenging for the afc tittle..because really in my opinion only the pats and broncos can be seen as clearly better than the colts in the afc,  i truly think we are the number 3 seed in the afc on a level playing  field but injuries could easily push us down to a 5/6 seed or up to a one seed.  

O-Line is a HUGE question and if it doesn't succeed our offense won't ever be able to be what it is capable of. If our offensive line is average we will have a top 5 offense. If they are anything below that no way we have a top 5 offense.

If we can stay relatively healthy on defense I think our defense will take big steps this season! Possibly a top 10 or close to it this year overall.

Through all of this I say we come out with 11 wins this season. If everyone is healthy we can have a deep run in the playoffs!

Yeah injuries is going to tell the story on the Colts this season. We have the talent to win the super bowl. But again injuries will determine that. 

I think a lot depends on the health of Holmes if he can stay healthy we should be able to do what we want on offense to just about any D in the league. If the D can stay healthy I think we are a lot better than people think. We have Davis Toler and Butler at CB the front 7 is as strong and deep as ever. I don't see a reason we can't make a long run in the playoffs.

I know staying healthy is a big IF but we are due to not get killed with injuries at some point. We don't even have to stay injury free just not big hits. Guys like Adongo who were probably not making the team anyway. We have pretty good depth everywhere but O Line.

It isn't like the AFC is loaded NE is not the power they once were. I am not as impressed with Denver as most I actually look at the QB's playoff record. He has gone one and done after winning a playoff game the year before every year but one and statistics are really against the Bronco's getting back to the Super Bowl. I do a bit of wagering so I track that sort of thing.  I would imagine the North teams will be back to beating each other up this year. One will prove to be a tough out.

I don't really see anyone in the AFC that I think man I wouldn't want to play them except a healthy Colts team.

Yeah the Colts our as good as any team in the league when being relatively healthy but again injuries will tell the story. The talent is there.

Yeah the Colts our as good as any team in the league when being relatively healthy but again injuries will tell the story. The talent is there.

You really think the talent level is on par with teams like Seattle, SF, New England and Broncos?

You really think the talent level is on par with teams like Seattle, SF, New England and Broncos?

You don't? We have an amazing QB, and the best 3 receiver set in the league, the best 2 TE set in the league, the only ? Is how will the defense rank, and they are looking pretty damn good.

You don't? We have an amazing QB, and the best 3 receiver set in the league, the best 2 TE set in the league, the only ? Is how will the defense rank, and they are looking pretty damn good.

No. We has similar things in the Manning era too. Colts need to get better in the trenches to compete for a SB. Grigson has taken steps in that direction, but I don't think they are there yet. But I have been wrong before....

The AFC title game is attainable if we get a bye.  If we beat either Den or NE, then we'll get the #2 seed.  If we beat them both, then we'll get #1 seed via tiebreaker.  As it stands now, I'm figuring 7-1 at home, 5-3 on the road, and at least 5-1 in the division.  Looking at the schedule, I think a 7-3 record through 10 games sets us up for 12-4.  Weeks 5 through 11 will tell us a lot.  We've been incredible under Luck in one-possession games so we know how to win the close games. 

Even if we don't go 12-4, 10-6 will easily win the AFC South.

No. We has similar things in the Manning era too. Colts need to get better in the trenches to compete for a SB. Grigson has taken steps in that direction, but I don't think they are there yet. But I have been wrong before....

The Colts are young on the offensive line, but I think still better than last year. I get the concern there, though.

On defense, however, Grigson has made drastic improvements up front. I'd like another pass rush threat (and maybe between Werner, Newsome and Cam Johnson, we have one), but I really like the front seven. Should be much better than last season. Have to play more disciplined against read-option and scrambling QBs, but I think the team will be strong.