Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade value in Coby Fleener

BProland85

To me, this guy is the only guy who has decent trade value and can also be replaced. I think he could net us an early 3rd from a TE needy team, and I would be ok with that because of our depth at WR. Allen has shown to me to be Luck's favorite TE in the pros, and if young players like Moncrief and Da'rick Rogers pan out we are loaded at WR since I expect us to resign either Wayne or Nicks next offseason.

We could easily use that extra 3rd to get us some defensive help which we need especially in the secondary. I would wait until we know Allen will be fully healthy for the regular season, and then see if a team bites on Fleener.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definitely an aggreance with a no, thats a terrible idea. First off you break a ling standing familiarity of the 2 seing they have been together since Stanford, #2 fleener showed a huge improvement last year cayching even though we used him in a digfrent way then hes used too. So why not keep the 2 very good TE. I dont think our D will be as bad as people think.

I can see why you would want to keep him since he and Luck played at Stanford together. But my argument is more based on not enough balls to go around with the amount of weapons we have. And yes the secondary is very lacking right now since I don't expect Landry to be the pro bowler he once was.

I can see why you would want to keep him since he and Luck played at Stanford together. But my argument is more based on not enough balls to go around with the amount of weapons we have. And yes the secondary is very lacking right now since I don't expect Landry to be the pro bowler he once was.

You do realize injuries happen so we need all the weapons we have

Bad idea unless you have his replacement for 1.4 M maybe by the time his rookie deal is over Swoope is ready to play but we keep Fleener that just not good business getting rid of good players who are on rookie deals.

We ranked 13th in net passing yard per game. It was the 26th vs the run and dead last in takeaways that needs to improve. I think that is why we focused on our front 7 stop the run put the opponent in down and distance where we can dictate the game more will help improve the D and in theory put us in position to create turnovers.

We ranked 22nd in time of possession as well hopefully with added weapons and better play calling our offense will be on the field over half the game this year not our D.

Absolutely not, we are stacked at WR, we are not stacked at TE. Fleener does have the chemistry with Luck and we need him this year. The guy I would be for trading is Hakeem Nicks, since Moncrief is doing such a great job (especially in OTA's). I think we keep what we have (a full slate of weapons and a 2013 draft class that will have 4 starters for us this year along with all of our picks in 2015), and go out there and dominate. If we do a trade, it'll probably be Rogers or Brazill for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Yeah, imagine the nightmare when we line up with 2 TE's, 2 Wideouts and Reggie in the Slot, an improved line and a super mobile QB?  Who the hell can defend all that talent for a whole game?  Our only enemy is injury.  If we stay healthy, our Offense will dominate.  Our defensive backfield, even pieced together, will surprise people positively.  The key is stopping the run and special teams which I think is our weakest link on the team and sadly I don't see good things in the future of Special Teams because we have great starters, but no depth for ST's in my opinion.  

Yeah, imagine the nightmare when we line up with 2 TE's, 2 Wideouts and Reggie in the Slot, an improved line and a super mobile QB?  Who the hell can defend all that talent for a whole game?  Our only enemy is injury.  If we stay healthy, our Offense will dominate.  Our defensive backfield, even pieced together, will surprise people positively.  The key is stopping the run and special teams which I think is our weakest link on the team and sadly I don't see good things in the future of Special Teams because we have great starters, but no depth for ST's in my opinion.  

I would be surprised if we see that formation at all next year.

It be a terrible idea to get rid of Fleener. 

1) Allen/Fleener TE combo is a two headed fire breathing killer combo. 

2) Fleener and Allen have both had injuries in the past unfortunately. If one went down, are you going to count on Jack Doyle to turn into Jacob Tamme Jr?  

3) Pep's offense is TE friendly, and I keep hearing how Chud is a TE guru. I imagine we will see both TE's making a bigger jump this year.

4) Flallen(?) are going to eat LB's for breakfast this year. 

Allen is coming off of an ACL injury, if he goes down and Fleener has been traded away suddenly our TE corps looks like a barren wasteland which would be hugely detrimental to our offense as a whole. Not a good idea i'm afraid.

I would be surprised if we see that formation at all next year.

If the line could actually hold a block for over two seconds, it would be a great formation.  We'll probably see alot of the two tight end sets, and with Allen back they'll have to cover both.  But not with three WRs.

I hated the empty backfield in Lucks first year.  It was a license for the defense to blitz since there was no threat of a run. 

To me, this guy is the only guy who has decent trade value and can also be replaced. I think he could net us an early 3rd from a TE needy team, and I would be ok with that because of our depth at WR. Allen has shown to me to be Luck's favorite TE in the pros, and if young players like Moncrief and Da'rick Rogers pan out we are loaded at WR since I expect us to resign either Wayne or Nicks next offseason.

We could easily use that extra 3rd to get us some defensive help which we need especially in the secondary. I would wait until we know Allen will be fully healthy for the regular season, and then see if a team bites on Fleener.

In the name if all that is holy this is a bad idea. Why on earth would you want to degrade a true position of strength for the colts? Why take away a true match up issue for defenses?

The answer is you wouldn't and they won't.

The season can't get here soon enough.

To me, this guy is the only guy who has decent trade value and can also be replaced. I think he could net us an early 3rd from a TE needy team, and I would be ok with that because of our depth at WR. Allen has shown to me to be Luck's favorite TE in the pros, and if young players like Moncrief and Da'rick Rogers pan out we are loaded at WR since I expect us to resign either Wayne or Nicks next offseason.

NO..... also, we are loaded at WR this year, but next year, Wayne,Nicks,Rogers and Whalen are all FA.

IMO, I could see Fleener being traded , if one of the other TEs step up and have a good year.  I do not believe, we would get more than a 4th rd for him.

IMO, Fleener does not fit in our Offensive scheme.  He would fit better in the type of Offense that we ran when Peyton was here. 

Seeings as this is coming from a guy who has Dwayne Allen in his avatar, I think there might be a little bit of bias here.

Sorry, but we need the TEs we have.  I am excited for the basketball convert they brought in (Swoop), but that'll take time to develop.  Next year I could potentially see them swinging a trade, but we have two TEs with promise now.  Trading either one would be foolish.  Next year, if Swoop develops he could be the Fleener replacement, but if Fleener has a knock out year this year, he could bring even more value next year, or simply prove to be worth re-signing.

IMO, I could see Fleener being traded , if one of the other TEs step up and have a good year.  I do not believe, we would get more than a 4th rd for him.

IMO, Fleener does not fit in our Offensive scheme.  He would fit better in the type of Offense that we ran when Peyton was here. 

Gotta scratch my head on this one....he perfectly fits the Pep Hamilton offense.  This is the first time we have had two GOOD healthy tight ends...

Seeings as this is coming from a guy who has Dwayne Allen in his avatar, I think there might be a little bit of bias here.

Sorry, but we need the TEs we have.  I am excited for the basketball convert they brought in (Swoop), but that'll take time to develop.  Next year I could potentially see them swinging a trade, but we have two TEs with promise now.  Trading either one would be foolish.  Next year, if Swoop develops he could be the Fleener replacement, but if Fleener has a knock out year this year, he could bring even more value next year, or simply prove to be worth re-signing.

I tend to agree with you. I didn't have the thought of trading Fleener until we had a solid 2nd TE already in place. If that turns out to be Swoope then great.

I definitely 100% agree Coby would have ALREADY Excelled in a pass happy scheme with a great throwing QB.

He is one of the Top matchup Nightmares in the game, and he is just waiting for his QB to have a Play-Action game. Our GM has given the TEAM a screwed up O-Line so far, lets hope this season the tide has Clearly turned.

You are right we have more than enough Young weapons to give playing time to for Andrew to learn with.

Laughable that you think a freak athlete like Fleener is so easy to replace. If he has a weakness it has been his one-eyed QB and Andrew WILL get better.

And really, the less Reggie and Nicks we see THIS SEASON, the better for MY COLTS going forward. Let alone next season.

IMO, I could see Fleener being traded , if one of the other TEs step up and have a good year. I do not believe, we would get more than a 4th rd for him.

IMO, Fleener does not fit in our Offensive scheme. He would fit better in the type of Offense that we ran when Peyton was here.

:facepalm:

:scorebad:

How does someone not fit in an offense they've been in the most out of everyone on the team not named Whalen & Luck? So you're saying Coby has wasted the past like 3+ years of his life being in an offense he doesn't fit in? You better tweet him that he's wasting years he can't get back cause you seem to know he doesn't fit

To the original poster: :facepalm::scorebad:

Why in the name of all things good about the :colts: would you trade a TE who's the 2nd best TE on your team? You'd be okay with relying on a coming off season ending injury Allen, Jack Doyle who while is pretty good, isn't starter type, & a bunch of other people like Wesley Saunders?

How does that make sense? :scratch:

It has NOTHING to do with what they did in College. ZERO.

It is actualy possible our safeties would soon be better as a tandem This season if Landry didn`t play at all.

We have dumped some really weak front 7 players from our rotation and have bigger, faster, players ready to step up to replace them. I`m not surprised most here haven`t a Clue how improved our run D will be.

That can make a big difference on how our safeties are used to defend the pass game, which is Not a Landry strength..

We have no idea what Allen will be like coming back off pretty much missing the season last year and we have no other established TE besides Fleener so I say no for that alone. Also I think Fleener wouldn't bring the value that would make it worth it to us to trade him.

To the original poster: :facepalm::scorebad:

Why in the name of all things good about the :colts: would you trade a TE who's the 2nd best TE on your team? You'd be okay with relying on a coming off season ending injury Allen, Jack Doyle who while is pretty good, isn't starter type, & a bunch of other people like Wesley Saunders?

How does that make sense? :scratch:

Wow! he really struck a nerve with you? I agree with you, although IMO Fleener right now is the BEST tight end on the team until Allen can prove he is injury free and knocks off the rust, that's coming from a huge fan of Allen and his abilities.

IMO, I could see Fleener being traded , if one of the other TEs step up and have a good year. I do not believe, we would get more than a 4th rd for him.

IMO, Fleener does not fit in our Offensive scheme. He would fit better in the type of Offense that we ran when Peyton was here.

what are you talking about? This is the scheme he ran in college that got him drafted after moving up the draft charts his senior year. He was also our second best receiving weapon in the offense last year after Wayne went down and came on to the scene after Pep brought this offense here, he fits it just fine and in fact seems to thrive in it, What Pep's offense likes is tightends. Based on that I think having two good ones for Pep's offense is a good idea. Tightends are special in that they don't have to get a tone of passes thrown their way to make an impact. There are other things they can do and still be of big value to your team. Also as we saw last year with injuries there is no such thing as too many weapons.

Allen is coming off of an ACL injury, if he goes down and Fleener has been traded away suddenly our TE corps looks like a barren wasteland which would be hugely detrimental to our offense as a whole. Not a good idea i'm afraid.

maybe I missed something which is possible but I believe Allen is coming off hip surgery not an ACL tear.

So let me get this straight.  You want to trade a guy who we used an early 2nd round pick on for a 3rd round pick.  Fleener has improved a lot from year 1 to year 2 and to say you want to trade him because "we already have too many weapons" is asinine.  Worst thread of the year.  If you want to trade one of our tight ends, trade Allen, he has only played in 50% of the games.  With that being said, trading either one of them is *ic.

I'd say no, not now, because you can't know now who is going to have an "early 3rd round pick" next year..

If allen returns healthy and holds up trough whole season, i would try to trade coby after the season..

You'd know which pick you are getting (high/low third) and you have one less player to give a new, bigger contract to..

No way why would you give away a Vertical threat in the form of a 6'6 fleener, the kid has a high ceiling and will prove to be an integral piece to this offense, his production nearly doubled from a season ago. i Agree the secondary needs help but id rather keep our offensive weapons in place. reggie Wayne is in his contract year, Nicks is on a one year contract. it is not set in stone that either of them will be retained at seasons end. Fleener has 2 years left on his contract and is needed.

And really, the less Reggie and Nicks we see THIS SEASON, the better for MY COLTS going forward.  Let alone next season.

wth?!?

Care to elaborate?

You'd prefer to throw to TYH (fine) and Rogers and Moncrief and Brazil/Whalen than Reggie and Hakeem?

What part of your grand plan am I not understanding.....?