Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rogers "I Showed a the Colts They Can Trust Me"

Dark Superman

Rogers has a lot of potential and he showed it, had some drops but also made some difficult catches in the few snaps he played! I like him and if the keeps his head focused on football he can be a nice steal.

Drops are one thing, I don't think that's a major issue. Where he has to improve is route running. He can't just out athlete guys like he did in college and be wide open. He has to run precise routes and be where he's supposed to be on the field.

I don't think anyone doubts his potential. If he puts in the work and learns from one of the best WRs in the game, he can be special. Like you said, the only question we should have about him is with his head.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seriously are clueless. You were the one that said "Can't just have all the good and ignore the bad" I said something good, then you said something bad, then you said I had take the bad with the good, but meanwhile you didn't take the good with the bad. You have a double standard. I'm supposed to mention the broad range of Da'Rick's play, both positive and negative. And yet you never said anything positive. Why do I have to be on both sides of the table, while you get to stay firmly entrenched on one side. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

lmao

The level to which you either don't understand what I'm saying, or are being stubborn is astonishing.

I'm not entrenched in a side where he is all bad where are you even getting that from?

But when I said talk is cheap, meaning prove you can be great on the field, you pointed me to one catch as if that tells me the whole story of his season. So I simply pointed out two different examples of things he needs to improve upon. Prompting you to go off on some tangent like I'm not giving him credit for the good. When in fact I neither mentioned good or bad play until you brought it his KC catch. So both the great catch, and the struggles, define what he was this season. Okay, with flashes of brilliance.

Then you start ranting.

Honestly if you take issue with, or don't understand what I'm saying, ask me to clarify. But you are off arguing a point no one is trying to make.

I give him all the props in the world for his good. But also accountable for his bad. Leading me to believe isn't quite there yet to be a starting number 1 type receiver, but he has the potential.

Perhaps you should have asked for my thoughts before leaping to the conclusion that I think only his bad counts??? Or that I'm "entrenched."

Either way, clearly we've reached an impasse. No sense in further beating our heads against the wall.

Does anyone else besides me think that drafting a WR ( in the early rounds) would be a horrible decision? If you think about it, our WR corps is stacked with proven talent ( Wayne, Hilton), and is flying with amazing potential ( brazill, rogers, WHALEN).

I agree, it would be a waste. But most people probably don't agree with me either. I want to draft the best O lineman available with our first pick.

Guest TeamLoloJones

lmao

The level to which you either don't understand what I'm saying, or are being stubborn is astonishing.

I'm not entrenched in a side where he is all bad where are you even getting that from?

But when I said talk is cheap, meaning prove you can be great on the field, you pointed me to one catch as if that tells me the whole story of his season. So I simply pointed out two different examples of things he needs to improve upon. Prompting you to go off on some tangent like I'm not giving him credit for the good. When in fact I neither mentioned good or bad play until you brought it his KC catch. So both the great catch, and the struggles, define what he was this season. Okay, with flashes of brilliance.

Then you start ranting.

Honestly if you take issue with, or don't understand what I'm saying, ask me to clarify. But you are off arguing a point no one is trying to make.

I give him all the props in the world for his good. But also accountable for his bad. Leading me to believe isn't quite there yet to be a starting number 1 type receiver, but he has the potential.

Perhaps you should have asked for my thoughts before leaping to the conclusion that I think only his bad counts??? Or that I'm "entrenched."

Ok then answer this simple question.  Why did you make the comment "can't just take the good and ignore the bad" even though at that point in the conversation, you had yet to say anything positive?  You felt obligated to comment on my bias to the positive, but seem to fail to realize that at that point in the discussion you had bias to the negative side, and thus had no right to make the comment that I was being one-sided.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree, it would be a waste. But most people probably don't agree with me either. I want to draft the best O lineman available with our first pick.

As our team sits right now, there's no way I would draft a WR early, but after free agency things could dramatically change.

I actually think we should go with ILB. we need a guy next to freeman who can be a play maker. Interior O line should be addressed through Free agency. Center is our biggest need at the O line and guys like evan dietrich smith and alex mack might be available.

Ok then answer this simple question. Why did you make the comment "can't just take the good and ignore the bad" even though at that point in the conversation, you had yet to say anything positive? You felt obligated to comment on my bias to the positive, but seem to fail to realize that at that point in the discussion you had bias to the negative side, and thus had no right to make the comment that I was being one-sided.

I was speaking in general terms. That when I'm looking at a player I'm looking at his best and his worst. So when you tell me "But look at this awesome catch" I say "Yeah but look at these not awesome drops."

Then you tell me I'm not giving him props because I brought up his drops. Which isn't true. I just think both sides demonstrate the player he was for us this year. You included his good. I included the bad. Both are relevant and accurate.

It wasn't a condemnation on you, or your evaluation of him.

I actually think we should go with ILB. we need a guy next to freeman who can be a play maker. Interior O line should be addressed through Free agency. Center is our biggest need at the O line and guys like evan dietrich smith and alex mack might be available.

I don't want to high jack this thread, I already gave my opinion in a thread I started, The Patriot Way.

Basically, I'd go after a C FA, AND draft the best O lineman available. Strengthen the core.

Does anyone else besides me think that drafting a WR ( in the early rounds) would be a horrible decision? If you think about it, our WR corps is stacked with proven talent ( Wayne, Hilton), and is flying with amazing potential ( brazill, rogers, WHALEN).

The thing is I would be ok if they decide to draft a WR. Let's face it Reggie is coming back from a serious injury and isn't getting younger so we have to go after a possible successor sooner or later. But fixing the Offensive Line and improve our secondary should be priority number one for this offseason! 

Look, and especially if Rogers actually visits this forum, we fans want results...right or wrong.  But if the fans want results now, those that cut his paycheck want them even quicker.  So, if I'm being honest, I am willing to give him the offseason.  I want Rogers to play well for this team, but he has to make substantial progress between now and the first week of September 2014.  He's on this team because we believe in him.  Make us believe in you.  As has been said before..words are cheap.  Give us a reason to believe.  He's shown the ability...he's given glimpses.  Be more consistent and he will earn...he will demand our support.  Honest to god, I hope that guys like Mathis and Wayne  make this clear...we want Rogers to be our best or at least next best receiver.  He's got the skills and we need him to step up. 

My God you people are impossible sometimes. Rogers was a PSer at best, forced into action, and made some major catches. And all people can talk about are the drops against NE? Give me a break. A lot of other Colt WRs were dropping passes too. Also, he played in maybe 5 games? Good grief. Sure he has a lot to improve on, but without him we probably don't win the KC game. He will have a full offseason to get better, improve he skills under one of the best (Reggie as WR coach), and I think he's a huge factor next year. And I'm not one of the "Da'Rick" is the GOAT WR" people when he was first brought up. I wanted to wait and see how he did. And for the small sample size, he did pretty well. The drops in NE, well maybe the lights were a little too bright, as the old expression goes. If he stays out of trouble (which I think won't be a problem in the Colts organization) then keep him and develop him.

We'll probably keep five WRs next season. Reggie and TY are the only locks IMO.

If we don't draft one or pick up a FA, the other three should be Brazil, Griff and Rogers.

If we draft or pick up a FA, then I think Griff is odd man out, simply because Reggie is the possession guy.

I agree there are very locks on this team. But Reggie and TY are two of them. But no other receiver is very true

Indy is not dropping him anytime soon at his price tag.    The only way Indy ditches him this upcoming season is if he does something stupid ..  which not at all out of the question.

I would love to see him get to work with Reggie one or two more years, there is a a really good player in his body but does he have the humility and drive to make it happen?

I would really like to see Indy sign James Jones and let Rodgers, Brazil, and Griff all get to work with them.  I'm not worried at all about TY.

TY, Wayne, and JJ would be really solid.   Maybe even Decker if the price was right, but it won't be.

I'm wondering if we are going to have any interest in Emmanuel Sanders as a replacement for Hey Bey?

It depends on who is available.  The Reggie/TY combo is a no-brainer for this year (provided Reggie is fully recovered).  But I don't think you should count on Reggie for much beyond the 2014 season.

It would be good to have a young receiver capable of being Reggie's eventual replacement on the team next year to grow into the role.  Then hopefully carry on with a Reggie-like/TY combo for years to come.  Is that person Rogers?  Physically he looks the part, and despite the unfortunate drops,  I think he looked good catching the ball.  I couldn't begin to say how effective his route running was  -- it probably wasn't were it needs to be due to him being a rookie but could take a leap forward this year with more reps.

If the FO thinks a Reggie-like prospect is sitting there in round 2, I don't think it would be horrible to take him this year unless the coaches are pretty confident that Rogers can be that guy.

Guy started 3 games and had 192 yards and 2 TDs. He didn't do much in the post season besides that 1 great catch but overall I think he played we'll and showed his potential.

I would like to see him as the third next year and start. Hopefully he will be better. The potential is there that's for sure.

Reggie gives the Colts vet experience with some of the best hands and route running in the league. TY is becoming a stud WR bringing his burning speed and home run threat possibility. Da'Rick may give them that big strong, jump ball WR that many fans Colts fans have wanted. Dwayne Allen and Fleener added into the mix bring versitility at both TE spots.

If they can get the OL somewhat improved and the running game going the O will be absolutely devastating. With regards to the D, well that's a different story.

NO WAY to H NIcks....     Injury prone, lazy, and NO desire....    He laid an egg in his contract season.    That should tell everyone all they need to know.

If there were a way for me to like this more, I would have done it. Nicks is GARBAGE.

When I heard that Da'Rick Rogers was an UDFA, I was praying we'd sign him. He was my no2 Receiver in the whole draft (behind Tavon Austin) and I was hoping we'd draft him late. When we didn't get him, i was bummed. However, when we eventually did get him, I knew he'd be a great player for us and Luck. I'm predicting he'll have a Josh Gordon like season next year (minus the suspension), and prove he's a top receiver. I'm also predicting he'll be our no1 receiver next year. He has unique talents with decent size. We will benefit from using him. I'm also going to predict he's going to be the best player we got from the 2013 draft class (even though he wasn't drafted by us).

He showed some good flashes, but has a lot to prove. The good news is he will probably get that opportunity. Why so many people need to turn a few good plays into Pro-bowl calibre talent is predictable and amusing. We do it every year and very few ever pan out.

Their are so many pieces that need to drop into place for this young man to seal a starter role it is folly to be calling this guy a lock.

If he gets his head down and works his socks off, keeps out of trouble, and shows his true potential, then we can surely hope we have struck gold.

But he could quite easily be our new Roy Hall.

depends who is there. This team needs talent pretty much everywhere

And Whalen is easily upgradable

OK...Rogers' stats for this year were:

5 Games, 3 Starts, 14 Rec., 192 Yds., 13.7 Avg., 69 Yd. LG, 2 TDs

These are the numbers of a rookie, and a late-season addition to the roster, no training camp time with the Colts, and a few weeks on the practice squad before he was thrust into the lineup. And some on this forum are ready to throw him under the bus.

Compare his stats with those of another Colts rookie from several years ago who had the benefit of a full training camp, and being on the receiving end of passes from a guy who is as close as there is to being a "lock" for Canton:

13 Games, 9 Starts, 27 Rec. 345 Yds., 12.8 Avg., 43 Yd. LG, 0 TDs

He wouldn't break the 1000 yard or 10 TD marks until his fourth year in the league, and a lot of Colts fans thought he pretty much sucked, at least for the first couple of years.

Yup...that rookie was a guy named Reggie Wayne, back in 2001. And I hear he turned OK.

I would most definitely keep Rogers. The price for potential production is something I wouldn't turn down after year one or even next year.

I was a little disappointed with how Andrew would rarely look his way. Some of the throws that were going to Brazzil/Hilton (jump ball-type throws) should have been going to Rogers. They rarely challenged corners with him, which again is disappointing due to the fact that Rogers outsized almost every corner opposite him. Give the guy a chance to make a play.

I look for him to make a huge jump in improvement next year. With D.Allen coming back, and Reggie, along with the progressions of Whalen/Brazzil/Rogers, I would leave the TE/WR position alone and let these guys keep progressing.

When we discuss the future receiving corps I think we need to quit assuming that Reggie will return to 100%. 

It's all a matter of perspective really.  If Whalen and Brazill figure into the return game, which they will, then Grigson could carry as many as 6-7 Wrs, with 2-3 of them contributing on S/T.  At this point the line is blurred and carrying them is justifiable. 

Rotation:

1. Hilton

2. Wayne

3. Brazill  (PR)

4. Rogers (If the above stay healthy, I'd try DaRick at gunner just to get him on the field)

5. Whalen (PR)

In my mind Whalen is on the bubble, but because of his versatility he is in no real danger of losing his roster spot, he'll simply become our PR.  We could essentially add two as long as the mindset is that 2-3 of them will be heavy special teams contributors.

its simple, the offence is very complex, he came in late through the season, and got couple weeks of first team reps. He will become a threat once the game slows down for him and andrew develops chemistry and trust with a full offseason with Da'Rick. Everyone needs to take it easy, take a deep breath and relax. Be Realistic...

OK...Rogers' stats for this year were:

5 Games, 3 Starts, 14 Rec., 192 Yds., 13.7 Avg., 69 Yd. LG, 2 TDs

These are the numbers of a rookie, and a late-season addition to the roster, no training camp time with the Colts, and a few weeks on the practice squad before he was thrust into the lineup. And some on this forum are ready to throw him under the bus.

Compare his stats with those of another Colts rookie from several years ago who had the benefit of a full training camp, and being on the receiving end of passes from a guy who is as close as there is to being a "lock" for Canton:

13 Games, 9 Starts, 27 Rec. 345 Yds., 12.8 Avg., 43 Yd. LG, 0 TDs

He wouldn't break the 1000 yard or 10 TD marks until his fourth year in the league, and a lot of Colts fans thought he pretty much sucked, at least for the first couple of years.

Yup...that rookie was a guy named Reggie Wayne, back in 2001. And I hear he turned OK.

I get his numbers look good in whole.      BUT, the majority of his stats were accumulated in ONE game.   

Due to incredibly poor tackling.  

Just saying...      Da Legend has proven NOTHING thus far.  Next TC will be telling.   Is he coming loaded for "legend" status or is he coming in all comfy and satisfied?  

I get his numbers look good in whole.      BUT, the majority of his stats were accumulated in ONE game.   

Due to incredibly poor tackling.  

Just saying...      Da Legend has proven NOTHING thus far.  Next TC will be telling.   Is he coming loaded for "legend" status or is he coming in all comfy and satisfied?  

if he improves like ty did his second year he'd be a beast.

You take the best player on the board.  If they have a guy who grades out the best of anyone on the board and he plays WR then you take the guy.  Do we really just want to pass on the more talented guy just to fill a position of need? We will have free agency and almost 30 million to fill in positions of need as well.

You do not want to put yourself in a corner by saying we can only take players of needed positions even if that WR grades out to be the best.  

Wayne is not going to be here forever. Rogers did not do anything this season that made me go ok he is a cemented player here for years to come.  I like the potential, but I would not put all my eggs in his basket.

Problem is he was NOTHING like TY his rookie year.    

I like the guy's ability,  he could be a monster.      It's up to him.

He also was in a vastly different situation than Hilton was his rookie year.  Hilton had the benefit of OTA's, TC, preseason and every regular season practice being on the active roster as one of the top 3 WR's on the depth chart.  He was also forced into a lot more playing time than rookies typically get due to the lack of veteran players on the offense.  

Rogers did not have OTA's, TC nor preseason with the Colts and he was not moved to the active roster (and therefore not practicing with the Colts offense) until some time in November.  

You are right though, he has a ton of potential and how well he does will be up to him.  I just don't think it's even remotely fair to criticize his rookie year as compared to TY's because of how different the circumstances were.

This is a what have you done for me lately league. The last pictures of Rogers the Colts will have are dropped passes in a playoff game and running poor routes. That's not showing them they can trust you you do that by making those plays. I think in terms of just physical tools he could be a stud but I have real questions about his work ethic and while I am fine with trying to develop him for the future I hardly think he's not replaceable if an upgrade comes along.

He showed some good flashes, but has a lot to prove. The good news is he will probably get that opportunity. Why so many people need to turn a few good plays into Pro-bowl calibre talent is predictable and amusing. We do it every year and very few ever pan out.

Their are so many pieces that need to drop into place for this young man to seal a starter role it is folly to be calling this guy a lock.

If he gets his head down and works his socks off, keeps out of trouble, and shows his true potential, then we can surely hope we have struck gold.

But he could quite easily be our new Roy Hall.

Agree with everything except the Roy Hall comment.  Rogers has at least shown he can catch and NFL pass in a game when the outcome still is in question.

I also think a lot of people in this thread are equating "measurables" to potential.  He has good measurables but I didn't see anything from him to say that his potential is higher than Whalen's. 

I think the Colts are looking good at WR for the next couple of seasons and unless Watkins falls to the 6th round I do not want to see the Colts waste a draft pick on a WR.

Go back and read our exchange.  You said talk is cheap.  I countered with a comment about his great catch in the KC game.  You game back with a negative remark about the drops, I responded with "give the guy some credit"  Then you called me out for ignoring the bad in his game.  You never once gave a positive remark about Da'Rick, and accuse me of ignoring the bad.  Your being hypocritical.

Reggie had plenty of drops this season and last of the Junk Andrew was throwing. TY led the league last year with 16.

Does TY have bad hands? No!

Rogers should be fine with practice and with Luck learning to throw the ball sooner and more accurately to his open receivers.

Practice Practice Practice ANDREW, you are a $20MILLION plus QB soon, very soon!