Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shocking / Louis Vasquez (merge)

MrNLM

I get the feeling this is more of an unsubstantiated rumor than a report. Especially a day after Chappell tweets that he expects the Colts to go after Ravens, Eagles and Chargers because of Pagano, Grigson and Raye. It makes sense, and many of us have said it, but this isn't exactly earth-shattering.

5325.jpg

The Union-Tribune San Diego reports the Colts "will make a run" at free agent OG Louis Vasquez.

This assumes Vasquez will hit the market; the Chargers can't afford to let him go and are willing to pour money into their offensive line. The Colts' interest makes plenty of sense, though. Indy is weak on the interior O-Line, several old Chargers coaches are now on the Colts' staff, and new Indianapolis VP of Football Operations Jimmy Raye spent the past decade-plus in the San Diego organization. Vasquez and Andy Levitre are far and away the most desirable two guards in a top-heavy market at the position.

Probably speculation as it makes sense. I also think SD will keep him by hook or crook.

It clearly says IF San Diego even allows him to hit the market.. Which is unlikely, they are willing to break the bank with him.. I'm not sure if I am willing to do so.

San Diego has 8.5 mil in cap space and has 23 free agents on their roster, Including many starters.

Indy has 46 mil in cap space and only has backup free agents to resign and a punter.

Who do you think wins this contract battle?

Unless the Chargers franchise him, I think it might be a safe bet we could pry him away.

Here's what i saw(heard) from the text, that convinced me he's coming to INDY....:

"The Colts' interest makes plenty of sense, though. Indy is weak on the
interior O-Line, several old Chargers coaches are now on the Colts'
staff, and new Indianapolis VP of Football Operations Jimmy Raye spent
the past decade-plus in the San Diego organization. Vasquez and Andy
Levitre are far and away the most desirable two guards in a top-heavy
market at the position"

TKnight85: :yahoo: ED29_1659yards: :disco:

It clearly says IF San Diego even allows him to hit the market.. Which is unlikely, they are willing to break the bank with him.. I'm not sure if I am willing to do so.

I don't know how much breaking the bank they can do right now. Tommy has some serious work to do to make cap space for this offseason. Right now, they can afford to sign their draft picks, and that's basically it. I doubt that they'll clear cap space and then use it to tag him. They could, but I think they're counting on losing Vasquez. This year's draft is heavy on offensive linemen; if you ever are going to let one walk in free agency, this is probably the year to let it happen.

With a franchise tag price of $9.66M for O-linemen and a new Head Coach and O-line coach who have previously favored zone blocking schemes...and Vasquez having played a man/power scheme so far in his career....I think its a decent bet he hits the market.

I'd be very surprised if they tag him.

Especially with the draft position the Chargers are in at #11 and #45....which would give them a clean shot at more of a zone scheme O-lineman if they indeed are going to install that in their offense.

With a franchise tag price of $9.66M for O-linemen and a new Head Coach and O-line coach who have previously favored zone blocking schemes...and Vasquez having played a man/power scheme so far in his career....I think its a decent bet he hits the market.

I'd be very surprised if they tag him.

Especially with the draft position the Chargers are in at #11 and #45....which would give them a clean shot at more of a zone scheme O-lineman if they indeed are going to install that in their offense.

I was just about to say the same thing. I'd be very surprised to see the Chargers use the tag. It'll be way too expensive since its an overall O-Line average and not specifically a G average. They'd be insane to tag him with the limited cap room they have, and number of ufa's to resign.

How much is he expected to make if he hits the free market? Please use a number over years, like 40m/4years.

How much is he expected to make if he hits the free market? Please use a number over years, like 40m/4years.

i dont think it specifies the years, but vasquez wants at least 6 million a year. which is very reasonable.

i dont think it specifies the years, but vasquez wants at least 6 million a year. which is very reasonable.

so if we decide to pay him.... 7 mil a year, for four years, he would get 28mil/4 years.

San Diego has 8.5 mil in cap space and has 23 free agents on their roster, Including many starters.

Indy has 46 mil in cap space and only has backup free agents to resign and a punter.

Who do you think wins this contract battle?

Unless the Chargers franchise him, I think it might be a safe bet we could pry him away.

but what if he agrees to a deal before we even have our chance to make our pitch?

As someone who doesn't know a whole lot about this guy, can someone tell me a little about him?  Seems he's highly sought after, but my brief googling tells me he has had injury problems, but is a solid pass protector?  Anybody have more info here?