Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This team is being disrespected

By the national media, and I'm kind of blown away by it. Now i'm not saying this team needs to be considered the favorites or anything, it's perfectly fine to have the teams that beat the Colts last year above them, but we're not even mentioned with being a team even able to compete in this division... And the Jags are! I just watched ESPN's breakdown of the division, and they mentioned the Jags and Titans as teams that have improved and can challenge the Texans while insinuating the Colts haven't improved much.. What? I don't want to lump all of the media together, as this seems to be more the perspective of the national media, but I just find it completely shocking we've become a complete afterthought in the division despite losing the division by only one game last year with Luck missing time due to injury.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all I can say is we've given them reason to disrespect us.  They'll get back on board when we do I think and if not, I don't much care.

And anyway, some fans do the same thing.  I remember the year we won xli, if you talked to the random colts fan on the street, it wasn't surprising to hear they didn't have much faith.

There wrong 99.9% of the time anyways.  I think this Colts team will play quite well as under dogs.  Lets just get Luck back healthy.  I think the defense will be much improved. A lot of the media are kind of bashing them because they really didn't upgrade the O line but I think the O line played better towards the end of the year.  I know they need to be better but they were improved and they drafted Zach Banner who could potentially help as well.  The defense was the main cause for concern which I think they upgraded. 

3 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

And one was against the Colts :(

Don't matter, we got that one back.   And they ended up below us. 

Not that our finish was good.  Point is I'm not losing much sleep over analyst talk.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Don't matter, we got that one back.   And they ended up below us. 

Not that our finish was good.  Point is I'm not losing much sleep over analyst talk.

I totally agree.  On paper the Jags and Titans look good.  The Jags never show it on the field and the Titans haven't beat the Colts in 4 or 5 years now right?  We'll see how good Watson is at QB for the Texans, that's all they need.  The Colts have upgraded their D so hopefully that shows success on the field.

11 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

There wrong 99.9% of the time anyways.  I think this Colts team will play quite well as under dogs.  Lets just get Luck back healthy.  I think the defense will be much improved. A lot of the media are kind of bashing them because they really didn't upgrade the O line but I think the O line played better towards the end of the year.  I know they need to be better but they were improved and they drafted Zach Banner who could potentially help as well.  The defense was the main cause for concern which I think they upgraded. 

Banner should solidify the o-line.   :headspin:

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like when they talk the Jags up.  That got them 2 wins last year.

Jags are always next year's AFC South Champs.  

I think they've been next year's AFC South Champs for 3 years running.

As far as what ESPN thinks. . . The nice thing about the NFL as opposed to college football is that it really doesn't matter what ESPN thinks.  In the NFL you advance based on your W/L record only.  

So as annoying as it is to hear someone say that, I'm not overly worried about what ESPN thinks.  

Several reasons.

Everyone assumed Luck was an elite QB.  He's struggled at times.  Also, our D has really struggled.

But perhaps the main reason can be described in this way:

i am a low single digit handicap golfer. It takes ALOT of work for me to improve or shhot below my handicap.  But someone with a 15 handicap has much more room to improve and shoot under their handicap.  The closer you get to "perfection", the harder it is to make improvements.  Now while the Colts were far from "perfection", the other 3 in our division (especially jax and tenn) were very bad.

The addition of Watson in Houston i'm sure has some media thinking they are gonna rule the division now. 

Indont listen to the media.  I hope our team takes it out on the competition this year.

anyone notice our SB odds went from like 30-1 to 40-1 after the draft?

1 hour ago, BlueCollarColts said:

By the national media, and I'm kind of blown away by it. Now i'm not saying this team needs to be considered the favorites or anything, it's perfectly fine to have the teams that beat the Colts last year above them, but we're not even mentioned with being a team even able to compete in this division... And the Jags are! I just watched ESPN's breakdown of the division, and they mentioned the Jags and Titans as teams that have improved and can challenge the Texans while insinuating the Colts haven't improved much.. What? I don't want to lump all of the media together, as this seems to be more the perspective of the national media, but I just find it completely shocking we've become a complete afterthought in the division despite losing the division by only one game last year with Luck missing time due to injury.

We defy there odds every season the media doesn't know squat.

1 hour ago, BlueCollarColts said:

So the Colts are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL :Cry: 

Respect is Earned  18 started slow but the Colts with Peyton Manning & a less than adequate defense gave us a decade of excellence .

Andrew Luck with a decent OL & a running game with a couple of new targets is gonna light up the AFC South 

CB has made some big moves & the defense should really surprise & get after the QB this season plus maybe this will be the season a Colts D cracks the top 10 I have high hopes & could careless  about the MEDIA .

As far as the Jags & Titans the Media was on there bandwagon last year as I recall talk about the kiss of death . 

40 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Several reasons.

Everyone assumed Luck was an elite QB.  He's struggled at times.  Also, our D has really struggled.

But perhaps the main reason can be described in this way:

i am a low single digit handicap golfer. It takes ALOT of work for me to improve or shhot below my handicap.  But someone with a 15 handicap has much more room to improve and shoot under their handicap.  The closer you get to "perfection", the harder it is to make improvements.  Now while the Colts were far from "perfection", the other 3 in our division (especially jax and tenn) were very bad.

The addition of Watson in Houston i'm sure has some media thinking they are gonna rule the division now. 

Indont listen to the media.  I hope our team takes it out on the competition this year.

anyone notice our SB odds went from like 30-1 to 40-1 after the draft?

I assume nothing Luck is every bit as elite as 18 who had his struggles as well . 

Yeah it's annoying but who cares.

Also to be fair, while the media constantly keeps hyping up the Jags every year, don't Colts fans always hype up Indy too? Not saying we're gonna suck next year, but I recall many fans last year saying the same thing around this time. 

21 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah it's annoying but who cares.

Also to be fair, while the media constantly keeps hyping up the Jags every year, don't Colts fans always hype up Indy too? Not saying we're gonna suck next year, but I recall many fans last year saying the same thing around this time. 

Fans hyping there teams is called homers everyone does it but when the media does it they lose what lil credibility they have .

I don't really care what media people think or say about the Colts. It's annoying when they speak definitively and clearly don't know what they're talking about, but that makes them easier to ignore.

I really only care about what happens with the team, not about what people say and think. They can kick rocks.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I assume nothing Luck is every bit as elite as 18 who had his struggles as well . 

I'm not a hater of Luck.

but i don't put him anywhere near Peyton.  

Andrew has time, but for whatever reason(s) , he has underachieved in my opinion.  He's NOT elite......... yet.

43 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm not a hater of Luck.

Andrew has time, but for whatever reason(s) , he has underachieved in my opinion.  He's NOT elite......... yet.

Tom Moore >  Luck's offensive coordinators

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.  But Andrew needs to cut down on bonehead plays and interceptions.  I expect him to improve in these areas.

That's what you get when try to push a square peg in a round hole.

While I have no problem with flying under the radar, I would make this case for the Colts. 

1. They can and will score points so long as Andrew Luck can stay upright. If the O-line gels they'll score lots of points.

2. The front 7 has 3 more quality experienced linemen than they finished 2016 with. They also have much more speed among the linebackers.

3.  The D backfield should improve which will allow that additional 1/2 second to the pass rushers to get more hits and sacks which should result in more takeaways.

Those sportswriters who have not noticed these things should be surprised in 2017.

4 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

We're going to be disrespected a LOT this year....  until we prove otherwise....

And I'm completely fine with that.       That will put a HUGE chip on our collective shoulder and that's the way I like my team to play.      Lean, mean,  hungry and with something to prove.

My first year as a Colts' fan,  2012,  we were 32nd in the initial power rankings and Pagano had T-shirts printed up with the list on them with the Colts being dead last and the players worse them before every game I believe...

I'd like history to repeat itself!       :thmup:

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's simple. When your team goes two 8-8 seasons in a row you are not going to be respected.

But going 2-14 earns respect? That's more so my point, not that we deserve it necessarily, but it's insane how much the national media seems to just fall in love with Jacksonville every off-season while ignoring us.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm not a hater of Luck.

Luck has done more than Peyton did at this point in their careers lol. He's the definition of elite.  Nobody could have done what Andrews done the last 5 years except maybe Rodgers.

10 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

But going 2-14 earns respect? That's more so my point, not that we deserve it necessarily, but it's insane how much the national media seems to just fall in love with Jacksonville every off-season while ignoring us.

I don't think they're respecting the Jags as such, they're just an obvious candidate on paper to turn things around. 

Overall though I'm not surprised that this team is being disrespected at this point. We've gone from the clear leaders of the division to the 3rd placed team. We've got to earn the respect back.

5 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't think they're respecting the Jags as such, they're just an obvious candidate on paper to turn things around. 

Overall though I'm not surprised that this team is being disrespected at this point. We've gone from the clear leaders of the division to the 3rd placed team. We've got to earn the respect back.

Going 7-9 would be a 5 game improvement which would be very impressive, they're talking about the Jags as being contenders in the division while we're cellar dwellers. That just shocks me.

10 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

They are pick to do so every season and as I always state before every season they will be below .500. That is my given prediction every season. I said they would stink last season and a lot of people were jumping on me saying how they could win the Division. They will be lucky if they go 6-10. Colts will never be worse than 8-8 if Andrew Luck starts and plays in every game.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.  But Andrew needs to cut down on bonehead plays and interceptions.  I expect him to improve in these areas.

In his fifth season, Manning threw 19 interceptions, with an interception rate of 3.2%. In his fifth season, Luck threw 13 interceptions, with an interception rate of 2.4%.

If ball security is your basis for giving Luck any negative mark in comparison to Manning, that's not a good starting point. 

The two are different players with different styles. I understand they are inexorably linked, for better or worse, but the comparison really fails at the start. And as BOTT said, Manning had a great luxury in Tom Moore, compared to the 3 coordinators Luck has had so far.