Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have signed TE Brandon Williams [Merge]

stitches

Colts add Brandon Williams to tight end mix

Posted by Josh Alper on March 20, 2017, 3:31 PM EDT
621683812-e1490038257293.jpg?w=250Getty Images

It’s been a busy offseason at tight end for the Colts.

They re-signed Jack Doyle and traded Dwayne Allen to the Patriots in a pair of early moves. Monday brought a new arrival to the group with the team’s announcement that they’ve signed Brandon Williams.

Williams served as the third tight end with the Seahawks last season and caught two passes for 36 yards. He had four catches for 44 yards in his first three NFL seasons, all of which came while he was with the Panthers in 2014, and has been a regular on special teams units.

Erik Swoope rounds out the Colts tight ends currently under contract. This year’s draft is thought to be strong at the position, so the Colts may make further additions to the group before the offseason is out.

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

They re-signed Jack Doyle and traded Dwayne Allen to the Patriots in a pair of early moves. Monday brought a new arrival to the group with the team’s announcement that they’ve signed Brandon Williams.

Williams served as the third tight end with the Seahawks last season and caught two passes for 36 yards. He had four catches for 44 yards in his first three NFL seasons, all of which came while he was with the Panthers in 2014, and has been a regular on special teams units.

Erik Swoope rounds out the Colts tight ends currently under contract. This year’s draft is thought to be strong at the position, so the Colts may make further additions to the group before the offseason is out.

Well we definitely need more than 2 TEs.

We'll have 90 players on the roster soon, they can't all be stars.  We need guys in camp who know how the NFL works, even if they're just considered 'camp bodies'.

I'm sure we'll bring in more guys like this, as well as a rookie or two, to try out for the TE positions. 

Good solid no frills signing.

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Merged

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Colts have signed TE Brandon Williams [Merge]
19 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Bum city

Come on man, there are going to be 90 guys on the roster pretty soon and not all of them are going to be up for all pro status.

You need camp bodies who know how the NFL works, that have actually played in games.  Can't have all rookies and UDFAs.

43 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Come on man, there are going to be 90 guys on the roster pretty soon and not all of them are going to be up for all pro status.

You need camp bodies who know how the NFL works, that have actually played in games.  Can't have all rookies and UDFAs.

I am almost positive we will take a TE in the draft.  Why get upset over camp bodies.  I agree.

Ready for the draft and some waiver wire victims.  

31 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This signing is the first that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much rather draft a TE later in the draft (rounds 5-7) in a loaded class than sign someone with hardly any production. 

Might just be a camp body to compete. You don't want to go into camp with just three TEs. Then there really isn't any competition. Everyone knows who is making the roster then. I believe last year we signed two TEs to compete with Doyel, Swoop, and Allen. We could still draft a TE in the later round draft or UDFA. If they don't preform better than Brandon Williams then we keep him and throw them on the practice squad. If they do better then we cut him. 

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This signing is the first that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much rather draft a TE later in the draft (rounds 5-7) in a loaded class than sign someone with hardly any production. 

hes a blocking/sp team TE

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

This signing has absolutely zero impact on whether or not Ballard & Company draft a TE.