Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Shane Steichen

RollerColt

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not complaining, but does anyone understand Shane’s decision on that last play of the first half?  

(I think that’s when it was). They had an opportunity for a very long Gay FG.  And if he missed it, the Ravens wouldn’t have had any time.   

I **think** the idea was that either a too short of a FG or a blocked FG could’ve possibly happened resulting in the Ravens getting quick points right before the half. And then they return to open the 2nd half with possession. So we eliminated the possibility of two scores happening. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not complaining, but does anyone understand Shane’s decision on that last play of the first half?  

(I think that’s when it was). They had an opportunity for a very long Gay FG.  And if he missed it, the Ravens wouldn’t have had any time.   

Hopefully the Indy media asks him so we hear his answer on that call. 

• Like 1

I like how the coaches are benching "injury" players for not performing well.

Deon Jackson was benched after game 1, and waived. 

Baker was demoted as inactive after struggle game 2. 

I mean same DC was in love with Fayson ahead of Rodgers. 

So I really like what Shane and Co. doing like he said few days ago. 

“I think you've got to take accountability for everything,” Steichen said. “It starts with myself, and then it's the players holding the players accountable, it's coach to player, it's player to coach, and everyone has to be on the same page.”

Source:-https://www.timescolonist.com/football-nfl/indys-steichen-gets-crash-course-in-combining-veteran-moves-with-learning-lessons-as-new-head-coach-7547410

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I believe they were going for a "Hail Mary," which needs 4 to 5 seconds to set up. However, Ravens blitzed and had someone coming free. QB threw the pass away saving a possible strip sack for 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

my issue was the running out of shotgun  on that 4th down play .     overall shane is better than frank so far so i cant really complain

Yeah, there were a few things I didn't like about the coaching in this game.  One thing is that I thought we we got way too conservative and predictable in the second half, like we were playing not to lose.  Overall, Shane is a breath of fresh air compared to Reich 's play calling, and I love how he shows emotion and tries to pump up the players on the sidelines. He's a new coach, and he's still on the learning curve.  A few bumps in the road are understandable.  

I’m just glad we don’t have to see the predictable Reich dumb call, 4th down attempt in Colts territory, poor clock management, dumb challenge when it’s obviously going to fail, or another HB dive into an 8 man front.

I’ll take Steichen’s learning opportunities any day over Reich’s endless blunders.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

I’m just glad we don’t have to see the predictable Reich dumb call, 4th down attempt in Colts territory, poor clock management, dumb challenge when it’s obviously going to fail, or another HB dive into an 8 man front.

I’ll take Steichen’s learning opportunities any day over Reich’s endless blunders.

Shane’s play calling when the Colts were backed up on their own goal line was pretty bad.  It was pretty clear he was wanting Minshew to go deep there on all those plays rather than just get space to run the offense.  The safety should have ended it but thankfully the Ravens made two extremely costly mistakes.  

I am not going to go after Shane for a mistake in play calling on one series of the game but Shane isn’t perfect.  Overall I am happy with him though, but I was also happy with Frank and Pagano their first seasons here.  

I understand these threads, but fans need to understand that situational play calling can go either way with results that vary throughout the game.  There’s another pretty good coach on the other side getting paid to call the defense.  We have the benefit of hindsight after every play.  With coaching, you gotta look at the overall body of work.  Are the players ready to play each game, are they disciplined, and do they play hard?  Are they winning their battles more than they lose, and most importantly, are they putting more points on the board than the other team?  So far, it’s looking pretty good.

I just love how precise, detailed, and the design of his play calls are! This guy is a Josh McDaniels type in terms of his mind. I think we have the right long term piece in place at Head Coach so far from everything I've seen. And the man is all football too. A complete football junkie!

• Like 5

On 9/25/2023 at 6:08 AM, Archer said:

I love having a game where we can clearly say "our HC outcoached theirs".  

I think Shane Steichen is going to be a great coach. His strategy is generally good, but he still makes rookie mistakes. He, along with the rest of our team, will learn how to win without trying too hard.

"The game will seem to slow down, then let the game come to him."

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:34 PM, RollerColt said:

I Love You GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Just gonna say this. The difference in play calling is light and day between Shane and Frank. Shane has shown to me anyway, that he will adjust his game plans on the fly. AR goes out and clearly the play calling changes to what works better for Minshew. I like the mix, and he’s not even opened the offense up all the way yet. 

5 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Frank is 0-3

I’m not gonna gloat just yet. Frank does have a rookie QB, and the one that I felt had the highest likelihood to bust out going into the draft. Add in the amount of capital the panthers gave up for him and it’s gonna be arguably the biggest dumpster fire of a bust we’ve ever seen. Assuming Young and Reich don’t turn it around. 

I find it rather interesting that the same thing many in here complained about is the same thing the Panthers fans are complaining about right now. Reich and his play calling

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not gonna gloat just yet. Frank does have a rookie QB, and the one that I felt had the highest likelihood to bust out going into the draft. Add in the amount of capital the panthers gave up for him and it’s gonna be arguably the biggest dumpster fire of a bust we’ve ever seen. Assuming Young and Reich don’t turn it around. 

I find it rather interesting that the same thing many in here complained about is the same thing the Panthers fans are complaining about right now. Reich and his play calling

To be fair, when a team loses, that's usually the complaint fans have. Even Belichick teams not immune to that pleasure of service.

Steichen is good though, versatile and willing to bend where Frank was more wed to certain principles. Love what i see so far and honestly believe this match of HC and QB will bring the Colts success 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Reich is known for slow starts they may turn it around

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think Young will get it turned around when they stop having OL issues. With solid protection he will be okay.