Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Two Colts players suspended for gambling, waived by team (merged)

dw49

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not a fan of cutting Rodgers

He embarrassed them, bet on his own team mate while having access to game plans and possible insight about his usage rate.  Even if he didnt really know much about how taylor was going to be used it still made the team and league look bad

They were definitely going to cut him after that and he wont be back here

• Like 4

Just now, BlackTiger said:

He embarrassed them, bet on his own team mate while having access to game plans and possible insight about his usage rate.  Even if he didnt really know much about how taylor was going to be used it still made the team and league look bad

They were definitely going to cut him after that and he wont be back here

More so than players that took PEDs ?  That's actual cheating.   

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Three words.

Borderline fringe player.   

I confessed I didn’t see that one coming.  You want to cut him for gambling, fine, I’m not debating that though I disagree.   But the player evaluation surprised me. 

So was I right ?

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

More so than players that took PEDs ?

Ped infractions can vary in severity.  I dont remember off hand if they have cut anyone ever for using peds but i would guess that they have

To me what rogers did was pretty bad tbh and apparently the league and team see it the same way.  I suppose contracts and dead money could be a factor in who gets cut but that was a non issue for IR

43 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

So was I right ?

I don’t think this changes anything.   The Colts made a decision for the better good of the team.   They told everyone that if they made the same mistake, this is what will happen.   Zero tolerance.   

I know what you’re suggesting.   The Colts wouldn’t have cut someone like Pittman or Taylor.   There’s just no way to know that.  

It’s the unknowable…..   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think this changes anything.   The Colts made a decision for the better good of the team.   They told everyone that if they made the same mistake, this is what will happen.   Zero tolerance.   

I know what you’re suggesting.   The Colts wouldn’t have cut someone like Pittman or Taylor.   There’s just no way to know that.  

It’s the unknowable…..   

@PRnum1

QUESTION:  Was Isiah Rodgers the projected starter at cornerback?    The answer is yes.   

So the Colts cut a starter.   He may not have been a starter on the level of Pittman  or Taylor, but he was a starter. 

I don’t view any starter as what you called him….   A borderline fringe player. 

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

starting for the colts does not mean he is good

Being one of less than 100 people on the planet that can do something, such as being a starting NFL cornerback, means you are good at it.  How do you rank amongst those people who do it is another thing but if you are good enough to make it to the highest level of a profession and it’s limited like the NFL make no mistake they are good at football.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyEric07 said:

Only a few get caught but many more get away with it im sure!!!… oh well! Not a big loss imo! 

I’d say anytime you lose a starter that’s not by choice it’s a pretty big deal.  Are there worse players on the team they could have lost?  For sure.  Still being down one of your few NFL experienced players at a position and a guy you were counting on to start is a big deal.  Now the Colts are looking like they are going to start two rookie corners on the outside or bring in a guy who was a castoff from other teams.  Not exactly ideal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d say anytime you lose a starter that’s not by choice it’s a pretty big deal.  Are there worse players on the team they could have lost?  For sure.  Still being down one of your few NFL experienced players at a position and a guy you were counting on to start is a big deal.  Now the Colts are looking like they are going to start two rookie corners on the outside or bring in a guy who was a castoff from other teams.  Not exactly ideal.  

At least this was gonna most likely be a learning year with a rookie QB. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

At least this was gonna most likely be a learning year with a rookie QB. 

Yeah, I don’t have high expectations this year so from that perspective at least it doesn’t ruin what “could” be a Super Bowl year and in the long run it will probably make the team better because those younger guys at corner are going to learn a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO if he only bet on the Colts when he didn't play or if he only bet on Colts wins, I would be good with keeping his rights and letting him fight for a spot on the roster next year. 

When did you change your Avatar?!?! It looks good!

Not sure if this has been mentioned about Berry BUT he was signed Jan 4, Colts only played 1 game with him on the squad Jan 8 finale vs Houston so either he bet as a jaguar (Was cut Oct 12), as a free agent from Oct 13 until Jan 3rd or bet on that final game.   Easiest props to bet are final games as many teams eliminated and some resting starters for playoffs so a player on the inside can easily know that a typical backup will see more game action and how much more to easily go over a prop number.

We likely will never know what games or player props were bet on but that Texans game seems like it could be involved.

Looking at the Boxscore Zach Moss had 114 yards rushing, Deon Jackson 110 yards from scrimmage,Sam passed for  209 yards and 2 tds.

• Like 1

I think if Rodgers had better on another team it wouldn’t have looked as bad.  But betting on your own team?  That’s like insider trading at that point.  He had to be cut.  You’re in the Locker room betting on your own teammate to fail.  

I don’t like the cut, but I understand it.  

• Like 1

I have zero sympathy for this guy.  Just another person with potential to have a prosperous career but let his personal life screw it up and got fired. We see this everyday in the workforce and companies move on from these individuals and focus on those who do what they should. Had a chance to become a millionaire and probably blew it while leaving those uninvolved to clean up the mess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I think if Rodgers had better on another team it wouldn’t have looked as bad.  But betting on your own team?  That’s like insider trading at that point.  He had to be cut.  You’re in the Locker room betting on your own teammate to fail.  

Not sure if he bet on his teammate to fail, or did he just bet on JT going over 90 yards for example...

Anyway, agree that betting by players with inside information looks bad.

Rodgers should've said nope when that idea came into his mind first or if his friends suggested that they could do without anybody's knowledge.

NFL says their tracking technology could detect the location of the bettors within 3-feet distance, so even if another friend of him bets from his residence or hotel room, he's going to get caught.

So, it's not only about a player not doing anything wrong but also about staying away from people around him who could put him in trouble. The players have to be very careful going forward, and that's the precedence being set with all those suspensions. 

• Like 1

https://www.theonion.com/nfl-players-suspended-for-violating-draftkings-terms-of-1850592792

NFL Players Suspended For Violating DraftKings Terms Of Use

NEW YORK—As the league sought to crack down on players involved in gambling, the NFL announced this week the suspension of four players for violating the DraftKings terms of use. “The players in question are receiving indefinite suspensions for conduct that goes against the basic integrity of DraftKings and everything that DraftKings stands for,” said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, adding that the players in question failed to abide by several key stipulations clearly laid out in the sports betting company’s legal agreement. “The league takes this matter very seriously, and we cannot permit our players to put our fans’ belief in the outcome of their DraftKings bets in jeopardy through their casual flaunting of the rules. DraftKings made these rules for a reason, whether that’s eligibility or withdrawal of prizes, and we need to punish those who violate the rules to deter future violations. These players need to remember who they work for.” Goodell also reminded the rest of the league to take the four players’ suspensions into account when placing their future DraftKings bets.

From a team perspective, this makes a thin group even thinner. He never seemed to be one of Gus's favorites though, so maybe there was a reason. From a personal perspective, I feel bad for the kid, but it's not like he did not have people he could have and should have asked. The challenge now is to build the secondary from the ground up. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of throwing our young CB's to the wolves.

Let them grind it out and find out what they are made of.

I do not expect Ballard to pay up for any of the currently available FAgents.

Someone his staff likes will become available in the pre-season or at final cuts.

I get people hate losing a starter but I wouldn't want a player on the team that actually beat on the team he plays for. That's worse if you ask me. Why was he so simple minded to do something he seen a player miss the season for the year prior. It's not the Colts are looking for a winning season this year. The Colts have two young CB's they just drafted that need reps. So go at it and get your PT rookies. It's not like this is the first time we drafted rookies and the started the season off playing. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:01 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure I knew there was a Rashod  Berry on the Colts roster…..   :dunno:      :scratch:

But he’s not anymore.   

Two of the four suspensions are with the Colts.   Not a good look for the franchise. 

Fortunately,  it comes at a time where there might be the lowest fan activity here on the message board.   In my 12 years of Colts fandom I can’t remember as little traffic here as we’ve all had in the last few weeks.   

Little traffic is the result of  ______ ______  _____! 

(Think about it)

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

Little traffic is the result of  ______ ______  _____! 

(Think about it)

The way you broke it down….    I’ll go with….     4-12-1.   

(Did I need to put in for this hearing my answer in the form of a question?!?).     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColtsUrUs said:

I get people hate losing a starter but I wouldn't want a player on the team that actually beat on the team he plays for. That's worse if you ask me. Why was he so simple minded to do something he seen a player miss the season for the year prior. It's not the Colts are looking for a winning season this year. The Colts have two young CB's they just drafted that need reps. So go at it and get your PT rookies. It's not like this is the first time we drafted rookies and the started the season off playing. 

I hate the idea of losing a starter but I also understand and have no problem with the Colts doing what they did.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm fine with Rose being banned from baseball activities, but I think he should be eligible for the HOF.

Rose’s records are in the Hall.  There is zero need to enshrine him.  Every time he opens his mouth he gets caught lying. 

• Thanks 1

"Mad Dog" Russo says the NFL is in bed with gambling sites and are Hypocrites.

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/mad-dog-russo-accuses-nfl-commish-roger-goodell-and-specific-team-owners-of-gambling-on-games-if-you-think-they-dont-bet-youre-crazy/

Of course its not ideal for players gambling, especially on their sport or team. But neither is that of NFL execs and the corruption known in the league and refs. 

I think the NFLPA should think about standing by their players and demand lower punishments and NFL not allow their sport to be gambled on on gambling sites.......or maybe they will tell ALL PLAYERS to publicly make bets and see if the Commissioner suspends EVERY PLAYER in the league. haha

Americans spent approximately $220 billion on sports betting companies through the end of March 2023. This is up $125 billion from just one year prior1. Since online wagering was legalized in 2018, American gamblers have wagered an eye-watering $125 billion on sports bets2. This figure boils down to $380 for every American in the country.

49 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Americans spent approximately $220 billion on sports betting companies through the end of March 2023. This is up $125 billion from just one year prior1. Since online wagering was legalized in 2018, American gamblers have wagered an eye-watering $125 billion on sports bets2. This figure boils down to $380 for every American in the country.

Yeah assuming everyone gambles. Since they don’t, even at 50 percent that’s still lower than I expected

18 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Who said he bet against his teammates?

not saying he should have bet on his own team regardless but I haven’t seen anything concrete that said he bet against the Colts and this betting on his teammates to fail.  He may have bet for them to succeed.

Either way it’s splitting hairs.  At the end of the day you shouldn’t be betting on your own team and by NFL rules any team so I get the Colts letting him go and have no issue with it.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who said he bet against his teammates?

not saying he should have bet on his own team regardless but I haven’t seen anything concrete that said he bet against the Colts and this betting on his teammates to fail.  He may have bet for them to succeed.

Either way it’s splitting hairs.  At the end of the day you shouldn’t be betting on your own team and by NFL rules any team so I get the Colts letting him go and have no issue with it.

Right here it says it: https://deadspin.com/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-indianapolis-colts-1850592796https://deadspin.com/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-indianapolis-colts-1850592796

Sorry, I didn’t want see him go but betting against your own teammate?  I get it, have to set the tone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Right here it says it: https://deadspin.com/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-indianapolis-colts-1850592796https://deadspin.com/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-indianapolis-colts-1850592796

Sorry, I didn’t want see him go but betting against your own teammate?  I get it, have to set the tone.

It doesn't say if he took the over or the under