Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Two Colts players suspended for gambling, waived by team (merged)

dw49

Hopefully not as I posted earlier that those large bets might mean more Colt players placed a bet...

https://nfltraderumors.co/breaking-colts-cb-isaiah-rodgers-expected-to-be-suspended-for-entire-season/

Mod update: Two Colts players suspended, waived  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37934061/nfl-suspends-four-players-gambling-violations 

Edited by Superman
update
  • Thanks 1

To be clear….    The suspensions are expected THIS WEEK.   Which means it could be as soon as later today, but most likely tomorrow or Friday.    

And while the initial word appears to be optimistic on Rodgers, I wouldn’t get my hopes up too high just yet.   This is NOT official.   His suspension could still be longer than we’re hoping for.   These things are tricky.   As we have discussed, there are compelling reasons why it might be longer than one year.   

At least we know that the decision is coming soon….

• Like 4

I'm just hoping that the 4-5 other players being suspended for gambling do not include any Colts other than Rodgers. The "couple low 4 figure bets" would seem to open the possibility that those bets were not all Rodger's wagers. His normal bet was said to be 50 to $100.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

According to holder they can keep him and he will have another year in 24.

At least with the suspension being announced this week - the Colts have some time before training camp to make decisions about Rodgers - and - the defensive backfield.

One interesting thing to note…..

As of this post I’m writing, approx 2p on Eastern Time,  this story is not — repeat, NOT — posted up on NFL.com.   

To say the least, this is unusual.   The NFL is getting scooped on a big story about the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'm just hoping that the 4-5 other players being suspended for gambling do not include any Colts other than Rodgers. The "couple low 4 figure bets" would seem to open the possibility that those bets were not all Rodger's wagers. His normal bet was said to be 50 to $100.

From what we heard earlier when this first came out he was the only colt players. NFL did say they were investigating others from other teams.

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

From what we heard earlier when this first came out he was the only colt players. NFL did say they were investigating others from other teams.

I didn't see that report and I'm happy to hear that. Also , I guess if this involved more than one Colt player , Rodgers , it would be reported differently. So , I agree that my worries are more than likely unfounded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One interesting thing to note…..

As of this post I’m writing, approx 2p on Eastern Time,  this story is not — repeat, NOT — posted up on NFL.com.   

To say the least, this is unusual.   The NFL is getting scooped on a big story about the NFL. 

Insiders regularly break stories before the NFL or teams announce things.   Almost always actually

• Like 3

The National Football League continues to deal with issues related to gambling. 

The NFL is expected to hand down season-long suspensions this week to a "handful of players" for violating the league’s gambling policy, according to ESPN. 

Indianapolis Colts cornerback and kick returner Isaiah Rodgers is expected to be one of the players suspended for the season, per ESPN’s report. 

TOM BRADY REACTS TO RYAN MALLETT'S DEATH: 'WE LOST A GREAT MAN'

Rodgers has been the subject of a league investigation into a possible violation of the NFL’s gambling policy, which includes possibly gambling on Colts games. 

In a June 5th social media post, Rodgers admitted to an "error in judgment."

"Addressing the current reports, I want to take full responsibility for my actions," Rodgers wrote. "I know I have made mistakes and I am willing to do whatever it takes to repair the situation. The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be a distraction to the Colts organization, my coaches, and my teammates. I’ve let people down that I care about.

"I made an error in judgment and I am going to work hard to make sure that those mistakes are rectified throughout the process. It’s an honor to play in the NFL and I have never taken that lightly. I am very sorry for all of this."

The league suspended three players indefinitely in April and gave two others six-game suspensions for violating the NFL’s gambling policy. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-expected-hand-down-season-long-suspensions-handful-nfl-players-gambling-violations-report

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Insiders regularly break stories before the NFL or teams announce things.   Almost always actually

I understand that.   But the story is now nearly 4.5 hours old.   And the NFL still has nothing up on their own website.   So, it’s clear they’re not saying anything today.  They’ll say something when they make their announcement official.  

I’m not saying this is good or bad, right or wrong.   I’m only observing how they’ve handled this as I find it interesting. 

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

According to holder they can keep him and he will have another year in 24.

They should release him and get rid of the stench hanging over this team.

He was a borderline fringe player anyways

• Like 1

If Rodgers is suspended for one year and his contract carries over, I would probably keep him as long as he went to gamblers anonymous. The exception would be if he bet against the Colts. That would mean he possibly threw plays in order to have us lose or give up points, and he's capable of doing it again. If he bet on the Colts or other games not involving the Colts, let him seek help and serve his suspension and see if he can be better in a years time. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Why are you confused NCF ?

@NewColtsFan

Why should he be released?   He will serve his suspension and come back next year.   

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

They should release him and get rid of the stench hanging over this team.

He was a borderline fringe player anyways

Far from a borderline player

TBH, I'm surprised it's only a year (if that in fact is true).  If it's true that he bet on at least one Colts game, I was expecting a ban for life to make an example of him.

It's a very slippery slope when player start gambling - on anything.  It's easy to get in serious debt.  Then get approached by people to 'work off the debt' during a game.

I like Rodgers, I hope he really understand what those best cost him.  I hope he gets another opportunity next season.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear….    The suspensions are expected THIS WEEK.   Which means it could be as soon as later today, but most likely tomorrow or Friday.    

And while the initial word appears to be optimistic on Rodgers, I wouldn’t get my hopes up too high just yet.   This is NOT official.   His suspension could still be longer than we’re hoping for.   These things are tricky.   As we have discussed, there are compelling reasons why it might be longer than one year.   

At least we know that the decision is coming soon….

If he is suspended for a year then does he go for a year without pay (from the NFL?)

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

If he is suspended for a year then does he go for a year without pay (from the NFL?)

Yes.   He’d get zero pay for a year.   He’d have to live off his savings.   

Plus, he’d still be tied to the Colts for one more year of his rookie contract.  In short, his life would be on hold for one year and the Colts would get him back roughly July of 24. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Question…If the Colts cut bait with Rodgers sometime before the start of next season because of this, can they get a compensatory pick for him? Assuming it’s not gonna be a lifetime ban of course! If yes, then they should cut him asap!

No.   No compensatory pick.   But they would get a modest amount of salary cap relief.   It’s not a lot.   I think a little over a million.   And it won’t help until next fiscal season which huts in mid-March with the start of free agency.  

This will let me know where our org stands for this year. 

if they want to compete, they’ll go out and grab a vet corner.  Maybe Marcus peters.  If they’re in the building the phase (which I think they are), they will stand Pat and let the rookies learn through the fire.

as a fan, I’m ok with this.  We get to see what our rookies can do.  This year imo was going to be a wash anyway.  I’m honestly more excited to see Brents and rush out there learning and developing than to miss out on playing time.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

TBH, I'm surprised it's only a year (if that in fact is true).  If it's true that he bet on at least one Colts game, I was expecting a ban for life to make an example of him.

It's a very slippery slope when player start gambling - on anything.  It's easy to get in serious debt.  Then get approached by people to 'work off the debt' during a game.

I like Rodgers, I hope he really understand what those best cost him.  I hope he gets another opportunity next season.

I don't think Fandual comes to break your legs