Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Position that worries you the most

CR91

I'm stuck between LB, G, and LT.

Colts not drafting a LB or G and not signing any as of this moment tells me a few things. They have confidence Shaq is finally 100 percent ready to play and they really like Zaire and E.J. I don't believe the colts go into this season not addressing LB if Shaq wasn't healthy. Stuard and Domann are good STs, but not much after that. 

Guard I feel like the plan is either to go with Fries or my personal choice go the vet route. There's plenty of vets currently on the market like Gabe Jackson, Dalton Risner, and Trai Turner. I would rather not have AR dealing with the same issues on the line Matt did. 

LT seems to be Raimann's job to lose at this point as his only competition is a 4th round rookie. I don't have a problem going with Raimann. I just think the depth is very lacking. One injury from Raimann or Braden and Freeland is playing a lot of snaps.

G is my biggest. Hopefully the kid from Bama puts on a show but I still feel like it is our biggest weakness. Honestly I am fine at LB. The next one that scares me is actually CB. I know we drafted 3 but wont feel comfortable until i see them play.

If we're talking about this year: right guard. Scares the heck out of me at the moment. I hope our new coach and instill some 2018-2020 type of success again. I think Raimann was really coming into his own at the end of the year last season so I hope he continues to progress as our LT. 

If we're talking about the next couple of seasons? Definitely QB. I love the Richardson pick and hope he succeeds. But if we can't develop him the right way then the team will be going nowhere until this position gets figured out. 

11 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Until see what we really have, QB concerns me foremost

Can definitely understand that, but AR is probably the most excited we as a fan base have been since Andrew. You got Tony Dungy and Shaq watching the kid practice. That's saying something.

I’m most worried about Center. Ryan Kelly’s step backwards I feel contributed to the fall of in Guard play. Not to say the Guards including BigQ weren’t to blame, but to me, having to help both sides is a tall ask.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Can definitely understand that, but AR is probably the most excited we as a fan base have been since Andrew. You got Tony Dungy and Shaq watching the kid practice. That's saying something.

Absolutely! I wasn't sold on any of the QB's leading up to the draft. So many write up's about each having their own strengths and  flaws. After hearing AR talk and just the humble yet confident young man he is, and the potential he is gifted with, I'm super excited they drafted him. Want to believe its true and lightning strikes again for us at QB!! Hopefully the hiring of Sporano will fix the Oline/ RG situation. Losing Gilmore is a concern with young CB's. And LB hinges on Shaq being healthy. 

Im not that worried about RG, I felt like Fries settled in fairly well at the end of the season and should only continue to improve. Not worried about LB either, I expect Leonard to be back and ready to go. 

The position that worries me the most is still QB. Its such an important piece of the puzzle. I hope Anthony can play early because as a season ticket holder I just dont wanna sit thru Gardner Minshew and I dont think its a good sign if Richardson cant beat him out in camp.

QB.  That’s going to be the one that holds us back this year.  We’ve done all we can do, but Richardson will have to take his lumps to get better.  I wouldn’t mind it, though, if we started Minshew this year (at least at the beginning).

OL in general. May just be PTSD from watching them get whipped all last year, but nothing messes up a young QB's head faster than getting killed every weekend. Fortunately AR has some wheels, but the OL needs to step up for the kid.

I feel like CB is still my biggest question on the defense. Everything is pinned on rookies and young players and it's a passing league. 

On offense, it's not so much a specific position on the OL. Can we find a decent RG? Sure. Will Raimann step up at LT? He seems to be on the right track. But OL is an entity unto itself. All guys can be average, but if they work well together, all is good. You can have some All Pros, but if the line is not cohesive, it makes no difference. How well will AR communicate with them? 

24 minutes ago, Pelt said:

C/RG.

Kelly needs to pull his head out a of certain orifice. It's been up there for far too long now.

Offensive line in general including depth.

We will add a vet guard for competition and depth. Sometime before training camp.

When the price and a one year contract sounds better.

At this point of the 2023 - I don't have any major concerns.

There are a LOT of OTA's - PLUS - mini-camp - PLUS - continued tweaks to our roster - PLUS - training camp - BEFORE - the regular season.

I feel confident that all of the position battles will play out the way they should - and - that any ?? will be addressed prior or during training camp. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m most worried about Center. Ryan Kelly’s step backwards I feel contributed to the fall of in Guard play. Not to say the Guards including BigQ weren’t to blame, but to me, having to help both sides is a tall ask.

If he is getting pushed back like he has been the last two years, AR is not going to have a pocket to step into.

RG has to be the position right now... still not sure about the CBs... but at least we are getting infusion of multiple high end athletes and hopefully at least one fo them looks good this year, and maybe even more to become viable in the long-term. 

Ballard doesn’t seem to be worried about the OL like the rest of us.  You would think after last year he would be.  He must be satisfied with how Fries and Raimann finished the year.  I think he will add some inexpensive OL depth as backups to our current OL starters and just expect continued development from them.  That would probably take Risner off the table.  

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

C/RG.

Kelly needs to pull his head out a of certain orifice. It's been up there for far too long now.

I agree.  Of all the positions from last year that performed the worst and were addressed the least, it's Center and Right Guard.

Yes, we have questions at WR.  And, yes, we have questions at CB.  And, yes, we have questions about run blocking TE.  And, yes, we have questions about whether or not Leonard will play.

But all of those positions were either addressed, or deemed to have sufficient existing players to do something.

At Center, it's Kelly or a massively less talented backup.  It's his job to get straight.  He's played at a pro bowl level before.  He needs to find it within himself to do it again.

At Right Guard, it's a mysteriously undrafted rookie, or a severely substandard guy masquerading as a starter.  Either way, it's a good bet that our guard play will be shaky.  (Unless we move Smith inside, and start the rookie at RT?  Uh oh.  I said the words, didn't I?)

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining.  We addressed the "impact positions" in the offseason.  And a lot of people would be complaining if we'd continued to bolster the positions commonly considered to not matter as much.

But out of all the positions on the team, C/RG are the ones that are the most concerning.

4 hours ago, Pelt said:

C/RG.

It’s called being hurt.   Kelly has played hurt for the better part of two years now.  And having terrible RGs next to him last year didn’t help matters. 

QB just like last year.  I like Minshew but short of him showing himself to be a starting level QB in his production this season QB remains our biggest concern.  The rook has to be protected a bit, might see him by midseason.  If we see him earlier might need to buckle up.

What is going to be interesting is if we lose a ton of games.  I don't think that's going to happen due to a strong roster, but when QB is unsettled you never know, you can in fact lose a ton of games by a close score and end up with a win/loss margin that is below your talent level.  Hopefully that doesn't happen though.

7 hours ago, Archer said:

QB.  That’s going to be the one that holds us back this year.  We’ve done all we can do, but Richardson will have to take his lumps to get better.  I wouldn’t mind it, though, if we started Minshew this year (at least at the beginning).

Dont want to see minshew at all.Let Richardson play and get the much needed experience. If he looks like a total bust after 17 games then you are in postion to draft williams. If he improved throughout the year and we still have a bad record then we can take harrison or some other impact player. Bottom line is starting minshew does nothing for us. Start the kid.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Dont want to see minshew at all.Let Richardson play and get the much needed experience. If he looks like a total bust after 17 games then you are in postion to draft williams. If he improved throughout the year and we still have a bad record then we can take harrison or some other impact player. Bottom line is starting minshew does nothing for us. Start the kid.

Naa, he will be a total bust Stephen, he has no hope. Enjoy!

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I understand your point of view but let's let the coaches make that determination. There will be a lot of work between now and the start of the season so it's a waiting game for the fans. Imo start Richardson only if the coaches feel he is ready.  There was a reason Minshew was signed. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand your point of view but let's let the coaches make that determination. There will be a lot of work between now and the start of the season so it's a waiting game for the fans. Imo start Richardson only if the coaches feel he is ready.  There was a reason Minshew was signed. 

What im against is losing with minshew. Now if minshew starts and is winning then im fine with that as long as they continue to work with Richardson to improve his flaws and arent just having him sit and not practice like Eason.

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What im against is losing with minshew. Now if minshew starts and is winning then im fine with that as long as they continue to work with Richardson to improve his flaws and arent just having him sit and not practice like Eason.

Eason didn’t practice because he was third string.   And because practice was limited due to Covid. 

If Richardson isn’t starting he’ll still be practicing.   Minshew would be 1.   AR would be 2.    And Sam would be a distant 3.    Richardson would still get lots of practice.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Eason didn’t practice because he was third string.   And because practice was limited due to Covid. 

If Richardson isn’t starting he’ll still be practicing.   Minshew would be 1.   AR would be 2.    And Sam would be a distant 3.    Richardson would still get lots of practice.  

If the oline sucks im fine with sitting Richardson in that scenerio to

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm stuck between LB, G, and LT.

Colts not drafting a LB or G and not signing any as of this moment tells me a few things. They have confidence Shaq is finally 100 percent ready to play and they really like Zaire and E.J. I don't believe the colts go into this season not addressing LB if Shaq wasn't healthy. Stuard and Domann are good STs, but not much after that. 

Guard I feel like the plan is either to go with Fries or my personal choice go the vet route. There's plenty of vets currently on the market like Gabe Jackson, Dalton Risner, and Trai Turner. I would rather not have AR dealing with the same issues on the line Matt did. 

LT seems to be Raimann's job to lose at this point as his only competition is a 4th round rookie. I don't have a problem going with Raimann. I just think the depth is very lacking. One injury from Raimann or Braden and Freeland is playing a lot of snaps.

The LB Titus Leo who they drafted looks pretty good to me and like you said we've got Doman. Colts have done pretty good with the LB they've drafted low for the most part. I'm sure we've probably got somebody else from the UDFA who may pop as well. For Guard I think Ekiyor will be stiff competition for Fries. It's year 2 for Pinter so he may also have gotten stronger and more experienced enough to step in temporarily in case of injury also. You can slide Smith there too if need be. Vet route is possible also. I think at least one of those depth tackles that we drafted may end up on the PS. I think we may bring in another Veteran swing tackle.

Archived