Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign QB Gardner Minshew

ColtsLegacy

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

The days of sitting rookie QBs just isn't a thing anymore. Youre not drafting a top 4 pick to sit him

I could see the path of sitting him , but I could also see a way to let him play easy reads lean on Taylor etc…. I’m more towards if he beats out the other guy let him play but if he doesn’t let him sit and learn for the first few weeks or half a season depending when bye week is. I don’t want us starting rookie then benching him for backup cause he struggles. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I think this makes it a lock that they take Richardson.  In fact, I’m betting they trade up to 3 just to make sure. 

What happens if Reich takes him at #1? I guess we get our pick of Young, Stroud or Levis then?

19 minutes ago, philba101 said:

What happens if Reich takes him at #1? I guess we get our pick of Young, Stroud or Levis then?

Yes, that could happen, and it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.  I’m guessing Stroud & Young go 1-2, but it could go a lot of different ways. 

23 minutes ago, philba101 said:

How is that?  Another QB is likely to be picked at #2.

If Richardson goes #1 then either Young or Stroud will likely be available as long as no one trades up to #3 to get a QB.

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

How is that?  Another QB is likely to be picked at #2.

If Richardson goes #1 then either Young or Stroud will likely be available as long as no one trades up to #3 to get a QB.

Yes, that is what I meant to say. Thanks for keeping me accurate.

Good Lord.  Some of you are just crazy.   

The Stache was one of the better choices for backups in the NFL. And he knows what Streichen wants     This is a no brainer.  Will he start?  IDK. depends on who we draft.    But I expect him to start game 1 unless one of the rookies balls out in TC/Preseason.   AND he will push the rookie for that starting job.  He's not just going to sit back and be OK  holding a clipboard. He will be able to show the rookie what it takes to be an NFL QB. 

The worst thing that could happen with any of these QB's is for them to come in and think they are entitled to be the starter from day 1.    This is the big boy league.  You haven't proven anything on this level yet.  You want the job?  Beat out the guy with the really cool mustache and then we'll talk.

As far as the one year deal.  Yea this was good by both parties.  If they draft a QB and they turn out to be good. Stache can move on to the next team that needs one to either start or mentor.   If not he can sign another deal with us to mentor Williams or Maye next yr 

Basically what Baker did    Mentor then backup and now starter for the Bucs.  

This was a brilliant signing by the Colts.  

Good move by you guys. Duval still loves the stache! He is a great personality, teammate, and overall good dude. The entire city was in mourning when he was cut. He is not a starter though but a very capable backup. I wish him the best except when he plays us.

As a Jag fan and a Gator fan I can only hope your GM drafts AR15. I watched every game he played for the Gators and IMO, he is a great athlete but a long term project as an NFL QB. He is streaky, makes poor decisions, and can't read defenses. He is also not very accurate.  In short, he did nothing in college to make me think he could be a quality starter in the NFL. 

If I had to choose between him and Levis, it would be an easy choice for me. 

31 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Then that would be awesome because we'd get Young or Stroud.

I agree although I think the Colts scouts are favoring Levis right now. I would not be upset if we end up with Levis but would prefer to take Stroud over him if he is available when we pick.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

I agree although I think the Colts scouts are favoring Levis right now. I would not be upset if we end up with Levis but would prefer to take Stroud over him if he is available when we pick.

I agree with this.  I prefer Stroud but, the HC is paid to coach, win and lead.  If it’s Levis, I must trust the coaching will get him up to speed and now with Gardner Minshew in the mix, there is some time to do that.  I’m good with this. 

4 hours ago, jaxjag said:

Good move by you guys. Duval still loves the stache! He is a great personality, teammate, and overall good dude. The entire city was in mourning when he was cut. He is not a starter though but a very capable backup. I wish him the best except when he plays us.

As a Jag fan and a Gator fan I can only hope your GM drafts AR15. I watched every game he played for the Gators and IMO, he is a great athlete but a long term project as an NFL QB. He is streaky, makes poor decisions, and can't read defenses. He is also not very accurate.  In short, he did nothing in college to make me think he could be a quality starter in the NFL. 

Living in Saint Augustine and watching 90% of the Gators games, I agree with this analysis.  I’ll take Levis all day, every day.  

Signing him surprised me given that we have quite a few needs and there are backups on the roster.  But the nice thing about it is that he was cheap and him following Steichen here at that price says a lot about the quality of the offensive mind.  It's not like Minshew hasn't been around the horn so you can read into that a bit I think.

Outside of that if things go according to plan Minshew won't touch the ball.  So not a big deal either way but I have always respected his game and if he needs to go I am sure he'll do a decent job off the bench for us.

I'm sick of "bridge/mentor/tutor type of QB's. Draft one of the top quarterbacks and get him on the field. It might be a rough year for him but he'll learn a hellava lot more there, than sitting on the bench watching someone else play.

Mississippi mud-flap is awesome. Very animated, and funny guy ... And, he plays loose. Don't count him out just yet, he has a bit of "it" factor that can win any game. Not that that "it" factor carry's  over to many games.  I like this signing.

I can’t decide if I think he’s the biggest goober on earth or the coolest freaking guy to ever play for the colts other than patty mac. I think I’m mesmerized by the stash. Too bad they wear helmets that obscure their faces. His stash alone would hypnotize defenses and win us multiple games alone. Based on what I’ve seen so far,  I think I’m gonna like this guy. 

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

I'm sick of "bridge/mentor/tutor type of QB's. Draft one of the top quarterbacks and get him on the field. It might be a rough year for him but he'll learn a hellava lot more there, than sitting on the bench watching someone else play.

Back up QBs are very important. Just check with the 49ers if you think differently.  

18 hours ago, jaxjag said:

Ahhh I see why you want him for us.  LOL!

On 3/17/2023 at 2:11 AM, GoColts8818 said:

At any rate I’ve now given you three recent examples of QBs who have sat for a year and two were taken high.  I gave you another example of a QB in Herbert who sat for part of his rookie year before taking over. 

Not that its particularly important, but Herbert really is not a good example. He only sat for week 1, he was the starter week 2 and played the entire rest of the season.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Ahhh I see why you want him for us.  LOL!

The Colt's have been blessed to have had 2 generational talents at QB in the last 25 years. Manning kicked our butts for over a decade. Some of those years we had the better overall team but that was not enough to overcome Manning. I despised him when he played for you, but now I admire him as the classy guy he is. The Jags on the other hand have never had a generational talent at QB in our history until now. Trevor is a very classy guy as well, and we are lucky to have him. 

I would be lying if I denied wanting you to spend the next 25 years with average at best QB's (not just the Colts, but the Titans and Texans as well....LOL). I am positive there are few if any Colt fans that don't feel the same way about division rivals. 

In my humble opinion, none of the QB's in this draft are going to be anything but average. I will be shocked if AR15 is even that. To me, he was the most disappointing QB for the Gators in a long, long time. Levis or Hooker is your better pick. If I was your GM though, I would trade up if someone is dumb enough to take AR15 at 1 or 2 and Stroud is there at 3.

2 hours ago, jaxjag said:

The Colt's have been blessed to have had 2 generational talents at QB in the last 25 years. Manning kicked our butts for over a decade. Some of those years we had the better overall team but that was not enough to overcome Manning. I despised him when he played for you, but now I admire him as the classy guy he is. The Jags on the other hand have never had a generational talent at QB in our history until now. Trevor is a very classy guy as well, and we are lucky to have him. 

I would be lying if I denied wanting you to spend the next 25 years with average at best QB's (not just the Colts, but the Titans and Texans as well....LOL). I am positive there are few if any Colt fans that don't feel the same way about division rivals. 

In my humble opinion, none of the QB's in this draft are going to be anything but average. I will be shocked if AR15 is even that. To me, he was the most disappointing QB for the Gators in a long, long time. Levis or Hooker is your better pick. If I was your GM though, I would trade up if someone is dumb enough to take AR15 at 1 or 2 and Stroud is there at 3.

Ha Ha!  I would invite a small move up for Stroud if available.  I think he and Bryce Young will be very good not average. 

The rest you could make a case for average and I'd be more inclined.  Levis has the tools but I have to say I haven't really

watched any Levis film and came away with a strong wow feeling to be honest. 

5 hours ago, jaxjag said:

Stroud getting to 3 would be interesting no doubt.  I don't think it is likely, but if it happens I doubt the Colts move up for him.  I mean if they weren't in the running to move up for the Bears pick I think it's unlikely they give up a 1 and change to move up one spot.  They'll probably sit there and see who falls to them and that may end up being the right call.  Teams do have inside information that affect when these guys go off the board, the whispers about their work ethic, ability to grasp offensive concepts, etc., so if that happens there's probably a reason for it.

As underwhelming as the top group of QBs were this season I have to say the guys who will be going in round 2 and later have some intriguing options.  So I would not panic if the guy I want (Levis) isn't there with that top pick, rather just move down and take another position of need where appropriate and then position to grab the next QB option you target.  There's a lot of options.

McKee has a ton of talent, OConnell is very smooth, Haener is ultra-competitive, Tune might be the most underrated, and so on.  This is a good year to see a team hit on a QB after round 1.  Lot of guys who have a chance to do that.

Archived