Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign QB Gardner Minshew

ColtsLegacy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a good deal for a bridge/backup. My view on that position has beem - it really doesn't matter who the bridge is as long as you have your long-term guy in the building. Minshew is perfectly qualified to do the job while not getting paid tons of money for it. 

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So why the one year deal :sigh:

With the Colts luck of vet QBs lately do you really want something longer than a one year deal?

in all seriousness i know you get it but if anyone doesn’t I believe the hope is after a year the rookie will have taken over starting and Sam will established himself as the backup. 

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So why the one year deal :sigh:

Maybe that’s all he wanted for now.   This gives him a season to see if he’d like to stay in Indy…..    OR….

Move on to a better opportunity elsewhere.   Flexibility can be a valuable asset.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe that’s all he wanted for now.   This gives him a season to see if he’d like to stay in Indy…..    OR….

Move on to a better opportunity elsewhere.   Flexibility can be a valuable asset.  

Please stop. I get we disagree a lot, but in no way is Minshew the savior of the colts. He's here to mentor and be the emergency QB. Don't make this more then it really is.

Just now, stitches said:

BTW I posted this in the other thread... Minshew and Richardson work with the same QB coach in Florida in the off-season. 

He might have some intel on Richardson for Ballard and Steichen... 

Good insight

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Please stop. I get we disagree a lot, but in no way is Minshew the savior of the colts. He's here to mentor and be the emergency QB. Don't make this more then it really is.

I don’t know about emergency QB.  I think that’s Sam.  A lot of teams start a guy like Minshew early in the year before they turn the keys over to a rookie.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the Colts do the same.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know about emergency QB.  I think that’s Sam.  A lot of teams start a guy like Minshew early in the year before they turn the keys over to a rookie.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the Colts do the same.

I meant if something happens to the rook. I don't see Minshew as the opening day starter if we get Bryce, Stroud, or Richardson. You let the rook play and figures things out week by week. That's how you grow your future imo

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Huh?

What in the world are you talking about?   

I never said a single word about Minshew being a savior or the franchise quarterback of the future.   He’s the Colts backup.  

My response was to YOUR question.  “Why only the one year contract?”   And maybe that’s what he wants.   If he does a nice job for the Colts, but the future is with the Colts young drafted QB, then maybe he’d want to move on elsewhere and not be his backup getting less playing time in 2024. 

My answer is logical to your question.   YOU botched that response completely.   I didn’t make this more than it is — YOU DID.   You misread and misunderstood. 

I’d think long and hard before firing off some snarky response.  Get this answer right.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

What in the world are you talking about?   

I never said a single word about Minshew being a savior or the franchise quarterback of the future.   He’s the Colts backup.  

My response was to YOUR question.  “Why only the one year contract?”   And maybe that’s what he wants.   If he does a nice job for the Colts, but the future is with the Colts young drafted QB, then maybe he’d want to move on elsewhere and not be his backup getting less playing time in 2024. 

My answer is logical to your question.   YOU botched that response completely.   I didn’t make this more than it is — YOU DID.   You misread and misunderstood. 

I’d think long and hard before firing off some snarky response.  Get this answer right.  

I thought you were supporting the nonsense post I quoted. My apologies 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I meant if something happens to the rook. I don't see Minshew as the opening day starter if we get Bryce, Stroud, or Richardson. You let the rook play and figures things out week by week. That's how you grow your future imo

Richardson isn’t close to being ready to start in the NFL.  He is so raw it’s going to take a year just to get him to that point at least.  If you draft Richardson he’s going to be a project and you better be ready to wait a year or two for him to show you what he can do.

The other three could start, that’s clearly an option, but they could also sit for a little while.  That’s the nice thing about Minshew.  He gives you flexibility based on how quickly the rookie adapts to the NFL.  If the rookie is ready day one Minshew is the backup/mentor.  If the rookie needs a little more time Minshew can hold the fort down until the rookie is ready.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Richardson isn’t close to being ready to start in the NFL.  He is so raw it’s going to take a year just to get him to that point at least.  If you draft Richardson he’s going to be a project and you better be ready to wait a year or two for him to show you what he can do.

The other three could start, that’s clearly an option, but they could also sit for a little while.  That’s the nice thing about Minshew.  He gives you flexibility based on how quickly the rookie adapts to the NFL.  If the rookie is ready day one Minshew is the backup/mentor.  If the rookie needs a little more time Minshew can hold the fort down until the rookie is ready.  

The days of sitting rookie QBs just isn't a thing anymore. Youre not drafting a top 4 pick to sit him

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

The days of sitting rookie QBs just isn't a thing anymore. Youre not drafting a top 4 pick to sit him

Mahomes literally sat for a year just a few years ago.  So did Hurts.  

Also I don’t say they would sit all year, minus Richardson, a lot of rookie QBs sit at the start of their rookie seasons before taking over the job full time at some point in the season.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Mahomes literally sat for a year just a few years ago.  So did Hurts.  

Also I don’t say they would sit all year, minus Richardson, a lot of rookie QBs sit at the start of their rookie seasons before taking over the job full time at some point in the season.

Neither one was a top 4 pick and they weren't drafted to play right away. Alex Smith and Carson Wentz were the starters. There is no starter here.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Neither one was a top 4 pick and they weren't drafted to play right away. Alex Smith and Carson Wentz were the starters. There is no starter here.

Mahomes was a top 10 pick which is the same ball park.  Let’s not pretend he was some draft steal.  You start rookie QBs when they are ready.  Again, several rookie QBs have sat to start the season only to take over midway.  Justin Herbert is a good example of this recently.  

In the case of Richardson you are drafting on potential not what he is now.  It’s going to take time to develop that and if you rush him out there too soon you can destroy that development before he even gets started.  Teams know Richardson is raw.  If he wasn’t he would be the hands down number one pick.  Teams also know you can develop that talent you are probably coming out of this draft with the next great QB.  That’s why a team will be willing to take him high but they also know he’s not Joe Burrow who can walk in and start right away.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Mahomes was a top 10 pick which is the same ball park.  Let’s not pretend he was some draft steal.  You start rookie QBs when they are ready.  Again, several rookie QBs have sat to start the season only to take over midway.  Justin Herbert is a good example of this recently.  

In the case of Richardson you are drafting on potential not what he is now.  It’s going to take time to develop that and if you rush him out there too soon you can destroy that development before he even gets started.  Teams know Richardson is raw.  If he wasn’t he would be the hands down number one pick.  Teams also know you can develop that talent you are probably coming out of this draft with the next great QB.  That’s why a team will be willing to take him high but they also know he’s not Joe Burrow who can walk in and start right away.

No one predicted what Mahomes became. Not even the Chiefs. Hell some analyst thought he had bust written on him. Their probably praying those reports never surface. As far as drafting for potential, imo you can't do that with such a high pick. There has to be full conviction this player can help you win and help you win now.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don’t know where you got this or why you’d think this is true?  

I think GC8818 is correct.  There is no hard and fast rule.   It’s a case by case basis.   And the case for AR to at least sit some of the season is enormous.  Not sure it could get any bigger?   I’ve moved away from sitting him the entire season but I think he’s got to sit at least some to get a sense of the NFL.  But I think the Colts would want him to play roughly 4-8 games to find out what he’s learned and where he’s still lacking.   But it’s near impossible to see a case to start him week one.   

Put another way, last year Kenny Pickett became the Steelers QB if the future.  I think he started 48 games in college. (Not a typo). And even he sat for the first 5-6 games before getting his shot to start.  

Sitting, even for a short while,  is NOT a bad thing.   Even for top-4 quarterbacks.   Honestly. 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No one predicted what Mahomes became. Not even the Chiefs. Hell some analyst thought he had bust written on him. Their probably praying those reports never surface. As far as drafting for potential, imo you can't do that with such a high pick. There has to be full conviction this player can help you win and help you win now.

Clearly the Chiefs did or they wouldn’t have traded what they traded to go up and get him when they had a good starter in Smith and then you don’t cast off Alex Smith after a year (who had a good year before he was traded) without Mahomes playing any meaningful football if you don’t believe you have something in Mahomes.  

You might not draft that way but NFL teams do all the time.  Do I think it’s smart?  No.  I’d much rather have the more proven player in college but teams always think we can develop him and draft someone high because they see what he can be.  Trey Lance (who also sat for a year and was drafted third overall) is a great example of this and we can all see how that’s going which is part of why I want nothing to do with Richardson.  Still the 49ers went up high to get him because, like Richardson, they saw what they felt he could be and if they developed him they were going to have the next great QB.  Teams get sucked into what a player can be all the time.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Clearly the Chiefs did or they wouldn’t have traded what they traded to go up and get him when they had a good starter in Smith and then you don’t cast off Alex Smith after a year (who had a good year before he was traded) without Mahomes playing any meaningful football if you don’t believe you have something in Mahomes.  

You might not draft that way but NFL teams do all the time.  Do I think it’s smart?  No.  I’d much rather have the more proven player in college but teams always think we can develop him and draft someone high because they see what he can be.  Trey Lance (who also sat for a year and was drafted third overall) is a great example of this and we can all see how that’s going which is part of why I want nothing to do with Richardson.  Still the 49ers went up high to get him because, like Richardson, they saw what they felt he could be and if they developed him they were going to have the next great QB.  Teams get sucked into what a player can be all the time.

I'm sure they had high expectations, but in no way did they fathom they will be in three super bowls in five years. I don't think Trey is a good example because of the whole fiasco of not being able to find a trade partner for Jimmy G. Made no sense to pay a guy 30+ mil to have him sit on the bench.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know where you got this or why you’d think this is true?  

I think GC8818 is correct.  There is no hard and fast rule.   It’s a case by case basis.   And the case for AR to at least sit some of the season is enormous.  Not sure it could get any bigger?   I’ve moved away from sitting him the entire season but I think he’s got to sit at least some to get a sense of the NFL.  But I think the Colts would want him to play roughly 4-8 games to find out what he’s learned and where he’s still lacking.   But it’s near impossible to see a case to start him week one.   

Put another way, last year Kenny Pickett became the Steelers QB if the future.  I think he started 48 games in college. (Not a typo). And even he sat for the first 5-6 games before getting his shot to start.  

Sitting, even for a short while,  is NOT a bad thing.   Even for top-4 quarterbacks.   Honestly. 

I'm talking strictly top 5 picks. How many top 5 picks especially QBs are not penciled in as starters as soon as their drafted? You just can't wait. Teams and fans are not that patient. They want results right away.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think Trey is a good example because of the whole fiasco of not being able to find a trade partner for Jimmy G. Made no sense to pay a guy 30+ mil to have him sit on the bench.

Trey Lance is the closet example Richardson you are going to find.  It’s also proof teams will sit a high draft pick in this era if they aren’t ready yet and they willing to wait on them to be ready because they believe in what they could be.

The 49ers did this and traded up for him with Jimmy G’s contract and all.  The plan was to develop Lance and have him replace Jimmy G and they have tried that until Lance got hurt.  They didn’t care about Jimmy G’s contract.  They saw a chance to get what they felt was the next great QB and took it.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Teams get sucked into what a player can be all the time.

ESPECIALLY at QB, we see it almost every year in the draft.

I also don't see any harm in letting a young QB sit for a bit. Also don't forget they're not robots, they're young athletes who just had a season of college ball, hardcore working out for weeks/months for the combine, draft stuff, tying up school life then straight to training camp blah blah, you get it. That's a lot of % going on .. Lol

Letting him watch for a few games or whatever it is won't ruin him in year 1.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Trey Lance is the closet example Richardson you are going to find.  It’s also proof teams will sit a high draft pick in this era if they aren’t ready yet and they willing to wait on them to be ready because they believe in what they could be.

The 49ers did this and traded up for him with Jimmy G’s contract and all.  The plan was to develop Lance and have him replace Jimmy G and they have tried that until Lance got hurt.  They didn’t care about Jimmy G’s contract.  They saw a chance to get what they felt was the next great QB and took it.

There were trying to move Jimmy G. Twice they even talked to the colts back to back years before we decided on Wentz and Ryan. Personally I think they would have started Lance if they were able to move Jimmy G. Regardless, if Richardson is the pick you're not gonna see a traditional offense. You're gonna see a lot of Lamar/early hurts type offense.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There were trying to move Jimmy G. Twice they even talked to the colts back to back years before we decided on Wentz and Ryan. Personally I think they would have started Lance if they were able to move Jimmy G. Regardless, if Richardson is the pick you're not gonna see a traditional offense. You're gonna see a lot of Lamar/early hurts type offense.

The plan was always to sit Lance for a year.  They didn’t start to try to move Jimmy until the following off-season.

At any rate I’ve now given you three recent examples of QBs who have sat for a year and two were taken high.  I gave you another example of a QB in Herbert who sat for part of his rookie year before taking over.  I think I’ve proven teams will sit a rookie QB and still draft him high.  If you don’t agree with that or want try to disqualify the evidence of what has happened because it doesn’t support your point you can do so but like it or not it happens.

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm talking strictly top 5 picks. How many top 5 picks especially QBs are not penciled in as starters as soon as their drafted? You just can't wait. Teams and fans are not that patient. They want results right away.

Good, well run teams do nit make decisions based on media and fans.   I think Ballard has demonstrated he does not care about either.   And nor should he.  Ultimately, if the team wins, everyone will come back. 

A young raw inexperienced QB like Richardson should NOT be rushed.  I’d be hugely surprised and disappointed if he was.   13 career starts, less than 1,000 career snaps, and 54% completion percentage all scream patience.   They’ll play the kid when his team thinks he’s ready.  AR seems like a good kid.  I’m pulling for him.   I hope whichever team drafts him does not draft him.  He’s as far away from ready as a rookie can be. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The plan was always to sit Lance for a year.  They didn’t start to try to move Jimmy until the following off-season.

Not what I read. Colts and Niners were talking about Jimmy G even during the Buckner talks. Not to mention Jimmy G and Shanhan never got along. They wanted to move off each other. The contract was just difficult for a team to take on.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW I posted this in the other thread... Minshew and Richardson work with the same QB coach in Florida in the off-season. 

He might have some intel on Richardson for Ballard and Steichen... 

so why you’re saying is Richardson gonna suck too

9 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Meh I can’t feel all the great about it. Ballard has sucked just about every QB move he’s done with the Colts. His track record has got to be one of the worst when it comes to the QB position.

A slight reason for optimism: we have a new HC now. What if all the QB decisions by Ballard was heavily influenced by Reich? (In a bad way)

Archived