Colts sign QB Gardner Minshew

ColtsLegacy

• ColtsLegacy changed the title to Colts sign QB Gardner Minshew
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I guess that's a compliment.

I disagree. I think Sam can play just as well. He got thrown into the fire last year behind a bad OL. Nearly won the Washington game --- Pittman dropped a pass that would/could have put us in field goal position to win; and he should have won the Houston game...

I know. no one agrees. But I really think Ehlinger can play...

Just now, Gigc said:

I disagree. I think Sam can play just as well. He got thrown into the fire last year behind a bad OL. Nearly won the Washington game --- Pittman dropped a pass that would/could have put us in field goal position to win; and he should have won the Houston game...

I know. no one agrees. But I really think Ehlinger can play...

Yeah Sam looked like he could have been our best chance to finish the Season last year. I just don't like his lack of arm strength. I think Gardner throws a little further.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yeah Sam looked like he could have been our best chance to finish the Season last year. I just don't like his lack of arm strength. I think Gardner throws a little further.

Nothing against Sam, he is a likable guy but he is barely even backup material. Sam is a good teammate and will probably end up 3rd string. 

I like this signing as a 1-year starter to bridge the new QB and/or start until the rookie is up to speed and then handle the clipboard on the sidelines and mentor for the rest of the year. This absolutely tells me that we are drafting a rookie QB at 4 - or perhaps Hendon Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either way a one-year deal for him clearly signals that they will be selecting a rookie QB - in my eyes.

ALSO - though Ballard has been burned in the past by Frank wanting his guys (Rivers, Wentz, Ryan) he is trusting Shane to bring in the guys he wants to bridge the gap. Shows a lot of faith in Shane - I like that!

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like this signing as a 1-year starter to bridge the new QB and/or start until the rookie is up to speed and then handle the clipboard on the sidelines and mentor for the rest of the year. This absolutely tells me that we are drafting a rookie QB at 4 - or perhaps Hendon Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either way a one-year deal for him clearly signals that they will be selecting a rookie QB - in my eyes.

ALSO - though Ballard has been burned in the past by Frank wanting his guys (Rivers, Wentz, Ryan) he is trusting Shane to bring in the guys he wants to bridge the gap. Shows a lot of faith in Shane - I like that!

Minshew knows the system Shane will be implementing so this was a move that made sense. 

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Hooker isn't likely the plan.  He's a little over 12 months younger than Gardner.

He could end up being drafted here, sure.  But I figure that would mean things didn't shake out as CB planned 

I would have preferred Minshew over Ryan last year. He has a place in the NFL and he will push the young quarterback that we bring in. Whoever that new quarterback is will be looking over his shoulder, because Minshew can play, and he can win. 

This was almost a given, with the backup QB's being signed so quickly ( Dalton, Jacoby, etc.). Minshew will be the tutor for whatever QB the colts draft, concerning verbiage, protections, and some check downs. IMO this will not be a year of the Eagles offense part 2.0, the team is not currently built to run the same scheme that Steichen ran in Philly, as many posters have assumed. Right now each of the top 4 QB's in the draft are at play coming to the Colts, just depends how it plays out, and all of them will be schemed to their abilities, which should be alot of fun!

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Cut foles and sam

Cut Sam he'll save us 350k towards the cap. With that money we can get Lamar??

Cutting Sam doesn't help us. Keeping him here doesn't hurt us. Foles being cut may bring another B player in.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Minshew knows the system Shane will be implementing so this was a move that made sense. 

Yeah, we thought the same thing about the others too - but, I like that he is 26, charismatic and knows what Shane wants - remember, the system is tailored to the QB per the new HC, not tailor the QB to a system as the old regime seemingly tried to do! So yes, it does make sense! 

Archived