Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly and Mo Cox officially on the trade block/will be released

Indeee

RYAN KELLYC, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Colts C Ryan Kelly could be traded or released by the team.

Kelly signed a four-year, $50 million extension with the Colts prior to the 2020 season and carries cap hits of $12.375 and $14.625 million over the next two seasons. A three-time Pro Bowler, Kelly allowed a career-high five sacks last season after allowing just seven sacks through his first six years in the league. One of several struggling members along the Colts' offensive line, the Colts could save $7.875 million against the cap with a pre-June 1st release of Kelly.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 12, 2023, 12:00 PM ET

Cox mentioned in Fowler report via stampedeblue

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This is promising news.

Doing some "dirty work" ridding ourselves of inadequate performers is not a Ballard strength. 

Neither of them are up to the tasks that Steichen's offense requires.

IMO, Steichen will be influencing Ballard a great deal, which should make Ballards drafting look wiser in time.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard will release both by the start of FA.  I don’t think either will be traded.  Teams can wait for the release and negotiate a better contract.

A team could trade a late round pick to guarantee they get the player or they could take the chance in FA that said player actually chooses to sign with their team for the contract they're offering.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Kenny is the only one imo who could fetch something.  

It’d be nice but considering Ramsey just got traded for a 3rd rounder (probably mostly because the dolphins picked up a huge salary), I’d have to believe Kenny would only get us a 5th (better than nothing though)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Soo……My wife and Kelly’s wife are friends. They re-homed their puppy last week because they didn’t expect to be here much longer. 

I can see Mo getting cut

Wouldn't you just bring the puppy along where ever you go?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

Soo……My wife and Kelly’s wife are friends. They re-homed their puppy last week because they didn’t expect to be here much longer. 

I can see Mo getting cut

So why would an NFL millionaire  rehome his  puppy?? Just saying don't beleive u.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I have to agree with both these potential moves. Both players just simply aren't playing to their contact values. Plus, they are not premium positions, you can find adequate replacements in the draft and free agency without using much capital.

Hopefully this is the season we see Ballard really start to reconstruct his roster were the major investments are being made in the areas of the field that effect the game more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

A 3rd and Kelly to move to No.3???

Kelly alone isn’t worth diddly-poo as Jim Mora would say. They would be lucky to get a 6th.  Two 3rds, Moore and Kelly is what I would give them at the most.  Moore played for their new HC and their center just retired.  It provides the Colts with a lot of cap relief. I’m not sure anyone will actually want Kelly though. 

I’ve seen a couple different articles speculating it would cost the Colts a three this year and a two next year to move up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would they re home  their  puppy. You don’t just get rid of animals because you move.

An adult dog they would bring but a puppy is a lot more work and if you’re going through a relocation they might not want to go through that as well.  I could see it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Kelly alone isn’t worth diddly-poo as Jim Mora would say. They would be lucky to get a 6th.  Two 3rds, Moore and Kelly is what I would give them at the most.  Moore played for their new HC and their center just retired.  It provides the Colts with a lot of cap relief. I’m not sure anyone will actually want Kelly though. 

I’ve seen a couple different articles speculating it would cost the Colts a three this year and a two next year to move up. 

I think they should do the future 3rd, current 3rd and Moore and/or Kelly for the move if necessary.

Having next year’s first rounder intact should help us manufacture an additional 2nd or 3rd by moving down in 2024, which is Ballard’s ammo typically.

• Like 1

i don't really see the point of trading Kelly while his value is bottomed out. 

but i guess it's fine if they can replace him with another starter. 

I think a rookie center with a rookie QB would not be good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

The point is to free up cap space.   Currently, this is the least cap space the Colts have had under Chris Ballard.   

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard will release both by the start of FA.  I don’t think either will be traded.  Teams can wait for the release and negotiate a better contract.

i would offer teams a draft pick to take kellys salary  . maybe a 5th round pick to pick up the 12 million in cap hit  or a 4th

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Hmmm…Jeff Saturday came a year after Peyton, he was undrafted. Ryan Kelly was drafted well after Luck, he was a first rounder.

I think a rookie QB with a rookie center concept is being made bigger than it is. You need a capable QB and plenty of reps. Plus journeymen centers pitched in for Andrew Luck earlier. Just need a good one. Plus Pinter has outplayed Kelly at center the last 2 years whenever he spelled him.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So why would an NFL millionaire  rehome his  puppy?? Just saying don't beleive u.

A poster says his wife and a players wife are friends.   He shares inside info.   And you respond that you don’t believe the poster?!?    

Why would he makes this up?  Who would lie over something like re-homing a puppy?    Why wouldn’t you believe that poster?  

• Like 1

As expected. MAC will be released because I can’t really see him having much trade value. Unless Reich or Flus would be interested in him as a package with either Kelly or Moore, who I also expect to be made available.

I wonder if Arizona would do Moore (relationship with Gannon) and Kelly for their 3rd. Maybe be throw in a pick too.

Kelly had a crazy fall off too. He was a top 5 center at one point but these past two seasons it’s like he fell off a cliff.