Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly and Mo Cox officially on the trade block/will be released

Indeee

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing. There’s a common misconception that renegotiation results in saving the team money, it can’t. All they can really do is either extend the years, thus lowering his cap hit or move the bonus money and salary numbers around to trick the cap hit into being lower yet. 

short of cutting him or trading him, he will get the money he signed for one way or the other. 

That’s true some if the time.   It may even be true most if the time.   But some of the time players are willing to negotiate down their deal and take less money and stay with the team.   It’s not just to lower the cap hit.   Sometimes the actual amount of money goes down.   

Remember, other than Watson, contracts are NOT fully guaranteed.   So players often don’t get every last dollar they signed for if they don’t finish out their contract. 

Hope this clarifies…. 

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Man, who knew my re-homing a puppy postwould cause all this. On a side note, what about what’s best for the puppy?

Maybe they dont plan on buying a house at the new "home" anybody ever think of that? 

7 hours ago, Indeee said:

RYAN KELLYC, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Colts C Ryan Kelly could be traded or released by the team.

Kelly signed a four-year, $50 million extension with the Colts prior to the 2020 season and carries cap hits of $12.375 and $14.625 million over the next two seasons. A three-time Pro Bowler, Kelly allowed a career-high five sacks last season after allowing just seven sacks through his first six years in the league. One of several struggling members along the Colts' offensive line, the Colts could save $7.875 million against the cap with a pre-June 1st release of Kelly.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 12, 2023, 12:00 PM ET

Cox mentioned in Fowler report via stampedeblue

Some of the best rumors I heard in while. Almost have me feeling better about frank sticking it us 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s true some if the time.   It may even be true most if the time.   But some of the time players are willing to negotiate down their deal and take less money and stay with the team.   It’s not just to lower the cap hit.   Sometimes the actual amount of money goes down.   

Remember, other than Watson, contracts are NOT fully guaranteed.   So players often don’t get every last dollar they signed for if they don’t finish out their contract. 

Hope this clarifies…. 

Not according to the 463 page CBA… the “reduction” or “pay cut” is like I said, moving the money towards other years.

now, AFTER a contract is up, a player most definitely can take less money 

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing. There’s a common misconception that renegotiation results in saving the team money, it can’t. All they can really do is either extend the years, thus lowering his cap hit or move the bonus money and salary numbers around to trick the cap hit into being lower yet. 

short of cutting him or trading him, he will get the money he signed for one way or the other. 

Hmmm, not so sure.  If you include an extension in the renegotiation, if the player is willing to settle for less, the per year take away might be reduced in a significant way.   If I am a player and like playing where I am, have made a home and friends and family here, and objectively recognizing that I may not have performed up to the high standard that the team expected and that I expected, I’d be open to taking less for extended security, saving the stress and upheaval of being cut and seeking out a new place to play.  

Just now, rockywoj said:

Hmmm, not so sure.  If you include an extension in the renegotiation, if the player is willing to settle for less, the per year take away might be reduced in a significant way.   If I am a player and like playing where I am, have made a home and friends and family here, and objectively recognizing that I may not have performed up to the high standard that the team expected and that I expected, I’d be open to taking less for extended security, saving the stress and upheaval of being cut and seeking out a new place to play.  

That’s what I’m saying, the PER YEAR.. not the overall, is reduced. Whether it’s via an extension or a conversion 

As for MAC, did he sign for more than one year, last year?  Regardless, no big loss there.  I have found him to be frustrating … just when you think, ok, he’s starting to emerge, he gets nicked up and then disappears for 4-5 games.  I think with the two young guys from last year and the guy from the year before, that’s 3 guys that can meet or exceed what MAC brings.  I don’t know what his contract is, but if it’s much more than positional min and there’s no room for four, then whatever, thank you for your service, MAC.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

As for MAC, did he sign for more than one year, last year?  Regardless, no big loss there.  I have found him to be frustrating … just when you think, ok, he’s starting to emerge, he gets nicked up and then disappears for 4-5 games.  I think with the two young guys from last year and the guy from the year before, that’s 3 guys that can meet or exceed what MAC brings.  I don’t know what his contract is, but if it’s much more than positional min and there’s no room for four, then whatever, thank you for your service, MAC.

He signed a 3 year contract 

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not according to the 463 page CBA… the “reduction” or “pay cut” is like I said, moving the money towards other years.

now, AFTER a contract is up, a player most definitely can take less money 

They may move to other years, but if the player gets cut, and the money isn’t  guaranteed, the player doesn’t get paid.   It’s the team that takes the financial hit with the dead cap hit.   

So for example.   The Colts acquired Matt Ryan and he agreed to restructure.  He took less last year and was expecting to get roughly $35 mill this year in an extension.  Except he’s being cut.   I think he’s getting $12-17 mill from the Colts, but he’s not getting $35.   The Colts are taking the financial hit with a $17 mill dead cap hit.  

Ryan signed for more, but he’s not getting all of it.   And the Colts are being penalized for it.  

Again, I hope this clarifies somewhat. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They may move to other years, but if the player gets cut, and the money isn’t  guaranteed, the player doesn’t get paid.   It’s the team that takes the financial hit with the dead cap hit.   

So for example.   The Colts acquired Matt Ryan and he agreed to restructure.  He took less last year and was expecting to get roughly $35 mill this year in an extension.  Except he’s being cut.   I think he’s getting $12-17 mill from the Colts, but he’s not getting $35.   The Colts are taking the financial hit with a $17 mill dead cap hit.  

Ryan signed for more, but he’s not getting all of it.   And the Colts are being penalized for it.  

Obviously . That’s exactly what I said an hour ago…

6 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Soo……My wife and Kelly’s wife are friends. They re-homed their puppy last week because they didn’t expect to be here much longer. 

I can see Mo getting cut

Doesn't the dog want to leave Indy?

2 hours ago, craigerb said:

Do you mean #4 and Kelly to move to #3?

A 3rd rounder plus Kelly to move from No.4 to No.3, though I’ve reconciled to a current 3rd and future 3rd plus a player like Kelly or Moore from No.4 to No.3

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Who will be the first to blame Ballard for players now having to rehome dogs. Won't be surprised as his been blame for everything else.:lol:

Nah. I am going to give him credit  for building this  team that had numerous play off wins and appearances, AFC championships, All Pros at elite positions.  Finding a franchise qb, elite rush end, LT, Wr and   corner. Can I  stop with giving him to much credit  for building a jaugernaut?

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts are not being penalized for honoring a contract they signed and agreed to. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts are not being penalized for honoring a contract they signed and agreed to. 

Penalized may be the wrong word.   But they’re hit with the dead cap hit.  That’s how the money that the player doesn’t collect is accounted for.  

Sorry for the confusion.   

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Penalized may be the wrong word.   But they’re hit with the dead cap hit.  That’s how the money that the player doesn’t collect is accounted for.  

Sorry for the confusion.   

I have no issue with Ryan getting his guaranteed money. I guess it could be considered compensation. After all, he got his tail handed to him. 

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have no issue with Ryan getting his guaranteed money. I guess it could be considered compensation. After all, he got his tail handed to him. 

I have no issue with it either.   That wasn't what the discussion I was having was about. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

An hour ago I thought you said a player gets every last dollar he signs for.   

Am I misunderstanding your meaning?   

I did, but i also said “assuming he’s not cut or traded” he will get the full dollar amount, it’s just the payment type and schedule that can be renegotiated 

15 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Wouldn't you just bring the puppy along where ever you go?

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So why would an NFL millionaire  rehome his  puppy?? Just saying don't beleive u.

Maybe they named it “Neverleaveindy” or “Indyforever” and haven’t yet realized they could just rename it. 

13 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well, maybe that’s a sign that he’s changed. Isn’t that what everybody’s clamoring for? They want to see Chris Ballard do something different.?

What? I want him to stop handing out huge contracts to guys who can actually live up to them. He's looking to cut/trade 3-4 players because he handed them big contracts and now has no other choice but to try to move them in a trade (unlikely) or straight-up release them.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not surprised with Kelly. Not sure what you'd get for him though. A 6th round pick is probably the ceiling. MAC I guess you can see if Reich wants a reunion.

No way frank want kelly lol 

36 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Kenny Moore next? 

Let’s pray 

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You don’t rehome pets just because you move. Granted there are exceptions like losing your house and apartment won’t take them ect. That isn’t the case with Kelly. Dogs are your family. Isaac and his wife have a cat too. They load car up 2 times a year and travel across country for football season. Granted it’s not a reason to cut someone.

And yet, some people do.

Author

Posted 2 minutes ago

**BREAKING**

I have a friend that is a dog lover and knows this guy who delivers dog shampoo to this other guy who is a dog groomer in Indy and he just told me that Ryan Kelly's dog was given to Jameis Winston and that the dog is staying in Indy.

Interested GIF by Nick Cannon

Archived