Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Harbaugh’s potential return to NFL

BProland85

Reich is not getting fired this year, but if we fail to win the division yet again next year, miss the playoffs and the Wentz experiment  goes up in flames. I wouldn't rule out an exit after the 2022 season, as Wentz is his guy, he vouched for him.

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/04/report-jim-harbaugh-might-be-tempted-to-leave-michigan-for-nfl/

This may be an unpopular thing to say, but I’d love having Harbaugh as the Colts HC much more than Reich. He could take this roster to new heights. 

People tend to THINK they want Harbaugh.   Then they get him.   He wears out his welcome fast everywhere he’s been.  He’d destroy the locker room culture that Ballard has built.   He doesn’t know how to treat adults.  Assistant coaches don’t like working for him.   He doesn’t know how to work well with team authorities. 

Pretty quickly, people realize they actually DON’T WANT Jim Harbaugh.   At all. 

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reich isn’t getting fired so while people might prefer Harbaugh it’s not happening.

And if Harbaugh were to go to the NFL(and I don't believe it, its got the timing and feel of something other CFB coaches put out to impact recruiting) he's going to want full control. 

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/04/report-jim-harbaugh-might-be-tempted-to-leave-michigan-for-nfl/

This may be an unpopular thing to say, but I’d love having Harbaugh as the Colts HC much more than Reich. He could take this roster to new heights. 

He's a GM killer.  He would want total control.  Never going to happen.  He's probably angling for a big extension from Michigan.  No thank you. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

He's a GM killer.  He would want total control.  Never going to happen.  He's probably angling for a big extension from Michigan.  No thank you. 

Intetestingky enough, Harbaugh already got his big extension at Michigan about 8-10 months ago.   

And oddly enough, he was willing to take a pay CUT.    I think from roughly $7m per to $5m.   And with the difference Harbaugh's  bosses told him to hire better assistants and a bigger/better recruiting staff.   And Harbaugh is on record as saying his bonus money he got this year from their very successful season is going to the Michigan Athletic office staff who were forced to take pay cuts because of Covid. 

In short, I think Harbaugh has made his bed to stay in Michigan.  His roots are deep there.

Odd guy.  Unique guy.   Interesting guy.   But super super high maintenance.  

I think Harbaugh is just a better fit for college.  People say how he wears out his welcome.  While that’s true with the 49ers it didn’t happen when he coached San Diego or Stanford and clearly hasn’t happened in Michigan.  Harbaugh has a energy to him that I think appeals to college kids and a college campus but pros might find a little hooky after while.  

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

It’s a very unpopular thing to say, and thankfully would not happen. Harbaugh created this perception of him being a great Head Coach by winning in San Francisco with the same players that Mike Singletary couldn’t, but that’s not saying much. He gets them to the Superbowl (against his brother in Baltimore) but loses because of a goal line stand in which they don’t attempt a single run from inside the 5 yard line, despite having a running quarterback (Colin Kaepernick) & a future Hall of Fame running back (Frank Gore) in his backfield.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

People tend to THINK they want Harbaugh.   Then they get him.   He wears out his welcome fast everywhere he’s been.  He’d destroy the locker room culture that Ballard has built.   He doesn’t know how to treat adults.  Assistant coaches don’t like working for him.   He doesn’t know how to work well with team authorities. 

Sounds just like Urban Meyer in Jacksonville.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Harbaugh is just a better fit for college.  People say how he wears out his welcome.  While that’s true with the 49ers it didn’t happen when he coached San Diego or Stanford and clearly hasn’t happened in Michigan.  Harbaugh has a energy to him that I think appeals to college kids and a college campus but pros might find a little hooky after while.  

As the resident Stanford fan here with connections to the program, I can assure with 100 percent certainty that Harbaugh did indeed wear out his welcome at Stanford.   And San Diego too.  

Assistants hated him.  Players respected him, but didn’t like him.  That includes Luck and Shayne Skov and many others.   He’s a hard guy to warm up to and like.  

The Stanford Athletic department would’ve been happy to have Harbaugh back, but only for one more year, Luck’s last season in 2011. But once San Francisco hired him away, there was a collective sigh of relief.   The Stanford community has kept its eye on JH.  There were similar stories from San Diego as well… happy to have him,  but he would not have been a good long-term fit. 

He’s a short-term guy.  Everywhere except Michigan, and that’s like home for him. 

By the way, I have other stories about Harbaugh.  There are Harbaugh stories everywhere he goes…..  for better, and worse. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As the resident Stanford fan here with connections to the program, I can assure with 100 percent certainty that Harbaugh did indeed wear out his welcome at Stanford.   And San Diego too.  

Assistants hated him.  Players respected him, but didn’t like him.  That includes Luck and Shayne Skov and many others.   He’s a hard guy to warm up to and like.  

The Stanford Athletic department would’ve been happy to have Harbaugh back, but only for one more year, Luck’s last season in 2011. But once San Francisco hired him away, there was a collective sigh of relief.   The Stanford community has kept its eye on JH.  There were similar stories from San Diego as well… happy to have him,  but he would not have been a good long-term fit. 

He’s a short-term guy.  Everywhere except Michigan, and that’s like home for him. 

By the way, I have other stories about Harbaugh.  There are Harbaugh stories everywhere he goes…..  for better, and worse. 

He seems like that kind of guy that gets you excited at first then it wears on you. I know those people that are super motivated and it’s fine 90% of the time but the other 10% they can’t shut it off.  They tend to be over critical and borderline argumentative bc they insist on micromanaging everything. Like if you turn left to drive around a neighborhood that’s a big circle.  They will say you should have turned right bc you wouldn’t need to cross traffic. It honestly doesn’t matter and after 20-30x of them picking at unimportant decisions or listening to their back handed compliments you forget the good they do and develop an animosity that blocks them completely out. 

I’ve seen this time and again from successful people.  They tend to have a high turnover rate under them until there is no one else to blame and then they leave. 

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

So, I already responded to your post….  Then I read another story that I thought I’d share so we can all watch the potential Harbaugh drama unfold. 

So, somewhat thinking out loud, the story suggests both the Raiders and the Bears might be very interested in Harbaugh’s services.    And that might — might — get Michigan to re-do the brand new contract they just gave Harbaugh less than 12 months ago!    Potentially, a bidding war!

Is Harbaugh interested in returning to the NFL?     Maybe?

Is Harbaugh interested in staying at his beloved Michigan?    Maybe?

But he’s always interested in being the pursued!   

Stay tuned!!     :thmup:

Colts aren't the Destination for High Profile coaches except maybe for Dungy if you consider him high profile.

As far as harbaugh I would hire him in a minute, and I think irsay would desire him too, but as usual for the colts the timing isn't right, among other things to get a big time coach. 

We probably make the playoffs, for the second straight season which should warrant Reich another season at least and earn more of his recent extension.

I'd say though he'd be a huge upgrade it ain't happening. Reich & Wentz aren't going anywhere anytime soon, for those who may wish otherwise.

The more important thing is if harbaugh does come back to the NFL, hope he doesn't go to Jacksonville.

I feel like the Bears would be perfect for him. He can mold the defense who do have some nice players like Mack, Quinn, Hicks, Jackson, and Goldman. Along with an offense that features a good run game with a young QB.

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, I already responded to your post….  Then I read another story that I thought I’d share so we can all watch the potential Harbaugh drama unfold. 

So, somewhat thinking out loud, the story suggests both the Raiders and the Bears might be very interested in Harbaugh’s services.    And that might — might — get Michigan to re-do the brand new contract they just gave Harbaugh less than 12 months ago!    Potentially, a bidding war!

Is Harbaugh interested in returning to the NFL?     Maybe?

Is Harbaugh interested in staying at his beloved Michigan?    Maybe?

But he’s always interested in being the pursued!   

Stay tuned!!     :thmup:

To piggyback on what you just posted I stumbled on Doug Gottlieb’s radio show this afternoon and he also thinks Harbaugh could use an NFL offer to get Michigan to redo the contract again.  Bidding War!!  But he also thinks he might actually leave.  Why?  Because in the new college landscape where players can move so quickly between schools he has quickly realized Michigan will not be able to compete with schools like Alabama and Georgia and the huge amount of booster money at their disposal.  Michigan has boosters too but nowhere near what the major powers have. He thinks the drubbing by Georgia made him see his goals will never be reached at Michigan with the new rules for the players regarding compensation and mobility.  So he thinks the writing is on the wall and he has a good chance of returning to the NFL now.   Stay tuned!

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very well said. Also let me add to that by saying that his accomplishments are way overblown. Took him 8 years to do anything worth of note at Michigan, which was a Big 10 title and first round playoff exit. He has no history or record of long term success anywhere because he leaves as soon as he peaks so people can’t see the decline. Did it at San Diego, Stanford, and with the 49ers.

Till this day though, he really hasn’t won anything significant. He’s got some really embarrassing losses at Michigan too, including a 41-15 blowout to the Florida Gators in the 2018 Peach Bowl.

No one wants a career underachiever.

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Two things…

1) words fail at how bad an idea this is. 

2) it will never happen

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very well said. Also let me add to that by saying that his accomplishments are way overblown. Took him 8 years to do anything worth of note at Michigan, which was a Big 10 title and first round playoff exit. He has no history or record of long term success anywhere because he leaves as soon as he peaks so people can’t see the decline. Did it at San Diego, Stanford, and with the 49ers.

Till this day though, he really hasn’t won anything significant. He’s got some really embarrassing losses at Michigan too, including a 41-15 blowout to the Florida Gators in the 2018 Peach Bowl.

No one wants a career underachiever.

In response, I suppose this is where I say this…..

If you’re an NFL team and you thought you have a small window that might close in 2-4 years and you thought you were close, really close to making a deep run, Harbaugh might be the guy you’re looking for.   Might. 

It might pay-off, but it might also feel like a 2-4 year long root canal for most everyone in your building!   Is there really a team ready for this?

I guess we’ll find out in the next few weeks!   

Archived