Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Badgley vs Rodrigo Blankenship

tvturner

Badgley is 7/7 on XP and 2/2 on FGs with makes from 41 and 42. He also kicked in the tough conditions in San Fran, and hasn't missed a field goal inside the 40 in his career.

Blankenship is 7/8 on XP and 11/14 on FGs this year with a crucial miss against Baltimore

When Blankenship is healed, who do you prefer?

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Badgley is 7/7 on XP and 2/2 on FGs with makes from 41 and 42. He also kicked in the tough conditions in San Fran, and hasn't missed a field goal inside the 40 in his career.

Blankenship is 7/8 on XP and 11/14 on FGs this year with a crucial miss against Baltimore

I normally don't believe in the "clutch gene", but I think between college and the pros, and his lack of strength in his leg, that it's time to release Blankenship. We have a Kicker that we could of kept instead of Blankenship a while back, and now I think it's time to right that wrong. Badgley is a solid Kicker, keep him for the forseeable future.

I admit to being a big Badgley fan when when had him, but of course, he wasn't going to replace Adam.

But he's been very inconsistent over his short career. Look at his stats over 40 yards. There's a reason he was available.

Blankenship easily as of now. 

28 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Blankenship.  

That was nice of you to try to stack the deck against Blank by NOT mentioning that his inferior stats are due to being hurt.  (I know another poster who tries to do that!)

Badgley has been very good.  I’ve been happy with him.   And if we go with him over Blank, I’ll be fine.    But if given a choice I know who I prefer. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlanRo03.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BadgMi00.htm

Under the theory that “you don’t lose your job due to injury”, when Blankenship is good to go, he should be the guy. Badgley is kicking well enough that we definitely don’t need to rush Rigo back, and if his injury lingers and Michael kicks for us for the majority of the season, I’m definitely down for a training camp kicking competition between the 2 next year, since they’re basically the same guy, (minus the specs) with similar strengths & weaknesses – the 1 area in which Badgley definitely has the edge though, is in the distance of his career long field goal, which is 59 yards.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I normally don't believe in the "clutch gene", but I think between college and the pros, and his lack of strength in his leg, that it's time to release Blankenship. We have a Kicker that we could of kept instead of Blankenship a while back, and now I think it's time to right that wrong. Badgley is a solid Kicker, keep him for the forseeable future.

Yeah, I could see where his “lack of leg strength” might be an issue….

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Blankenship.  

That was nice of you to try to stack the deck against Blank by NOT mentioning that his inferior stats are due to being hurt.  (I know another poster who tries to do that!)

Badgley has been very good.  I’ve been happy with him.   And if we go with him over Blank, I’ll be fine.    But if given a choice I know who I prefer. 

So he can make a 43 yarder while hurt but not a 47 yarder?

7 hours ago, cbear said:

I admit to being a big Badgley fan when when had him, but of course, he wasn't going to replace Adam.

But he's been very inconsistent over his short career. Look at his stats over 40 yards. There's a reason he was available.

He should’ve replaced Vinny.  Vinny was done by that point.  We kept him because of who he was, not because of how he was performing.

Huge, costly mistake by Ballard.

Badgley has been cut multiple times. Why do you think is? Hot Rod was the 5th rated Kicker in the NFL last year. Based on the logic expressed here we should not resign Nelson becasue Reed played well for a short time while replacing him (actually some on this board have suggested that)

8 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Badgley has been cut multiple times. Why do you think is? Hot Rod was the 5th rated Kicker in the NFL last year. Based on the logic expressed here we should not resign Nelson becasue Reed played well for a short time while replacing him (actually some on this board have suggested that)

I wouldn't want to replace Nelson with Reed, BUT I understand the thought process. If you could trade Nelson for a 1st round pick + 2nd round pick, we would be able to upgrade at CB, WR, and S with our first three picks next year. 

However, it's never going to happen

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I wouldn't want to replace Nelson with Reed, BUT I understand the thought process. If you could trade Nelson for a 1st round pick + 2nd round pick, we would be able to upgrade at CB, WR, and S with our first three picks next year. 

However, it's never going to happen

I understand you aren't advocating to replace Nelson, but it seems like the bolded is where this thought process breaks down.  Would any team out there be willing to trade a 1st and 2nd round pick in next years draft for a guard?  That seems like it is approaching QB territory.  I just don't see it as possible so the thought process is flawed.  Maybe I am wrong, but that seems way out of line for a trade.

So with that logic and back to the kickers:  Is Blankenship worth anything for a trade?  Probably not.  So we would just be swapping one for the other.  

9 hours ago, cbear said:

Over 50 yards:

Badgley - 3/9

Blankenship - 1/4

6 hours ago, tvturner said:

So he can make a 43 yarder while hurt but not a 47 yarder?

You didn’t happen to notice Blank didn’t miss a kick in camp when he was healthy and in a daily competition?  

You've made your choice.   We disagree. That’s fine.   As I said, Badgely isn’t a bad option.   If he gets the nod, I’m fine with it.

13 hours ago, tvturner said:

Whoever they choose.

You keep Blankenship IMO no contest really.  The Saints just lost their kicker for the year today.  Maybe we can trade them Badgley next week at the deadline.  Blankenship should be ready to go by then.  He might get claimed going through waivers if they don't trade for him.  Timing might work out well for us.  

12 hours ago, #12. said:

At this point, Rodrigo, but I don't trust him in the clutch.  He feels more like Vanderjagt than Vinatieri.

Van was arguably the best and most accurate kicker when the Colts had him. He missed one clutch kick vs Steelers in the playoffs which stuck with him to the end of his career. A few years before that he made a kick in a blizzard vs the Denver broncos. It was pretty damn amazing. I would compare few kickers to Vandy. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Van was arguably the best and most accurate kicker when the Colts had him. He missed one clutch kick vs Steelers in the playoffs which stuck with him to the end of his career. 

Vandy had more GW kicks than game losing misses; however, there are two other missed clutch kicks that loomed large (at Miami in the 2000 WC overtime game and at NE in the 2004 opener).  If he makes those kicks, then we play the Titans in a playoff rematch and we possibly get the Pats at home in the playoffs after Peyton threw 49 TDs. 

12 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Vandy had more GW kicks than game losing misses; however, there are two other missed clutch kicks that loomed large (at Miami in the 2000 WC overtime game and at NE in the 2004 opener).  If he makes those kicks, then we play the Titans in a playoff rematch and we possibly get the Pats at home in the playoffs after Peyton threw 49 TDs. 

Too young to remember the year 2000 but I forgot about 2004, which, a lot of things could have been done differently, you cant single it down to 1 kick being the issue in the 2004 season. Which was a great season. 

7 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

I still remember how terrible that Miami kick was... It's literally burned in my memory. Not even close would be a compliment.

Then the RB who ran for like 200 on us that day... ugghhhh

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Van was arguably the best and most accurate kicker when the Colts had him. He missed one clutch kick vs Steelers in the playoffs which stuck with him to the end of his career. A few years before that he made a kick in a blizzard vs the Denver broncos. It was pretty damn amazing. I would compare few kickers to Vandy. 

We made the playoffs six times with Vanderjagt and his missed kick knocked us out twice.  Not a good percentage.  Those were really the only two postseason kicks he had of any importance and he missed both of them.

2 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

MB about 63%

RB about 71%

Maybe enough of a difference to matter.

Yeah when talking kicker 8% is a big deal.  It’s not six one 1/2 dozen as someone else put it.  These numbers make me feel even more confident that they will keep hot Rod.  I could see them try to put badge on the PS and maybe have another kicker competition in the pre-season next year.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

We made the playoffs six times with Vanderjagt and his missed kick knocked us out twice.  Not a good percentage.  Those were really the only two postseason kicks he had of any importance and he missed both of them.

I am sure there are more but the only big kick I remember him hitting was the Denver snow game.  He also didn’t have a long leg.  He had to be about 45 yards in.  I remember the Colts passed on a 50 some yarder at the end of a game to win it and the Colts went Hail Mary and when asked post game Mora said vandy said it was too long for his leg.

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am sure there are more but the only big kick I remember him hitting was the Denver snow game.  He also didn’t have a long leg.  He had to be about 45 yards in.  I remember the Colts passed on a 50 some yarder at the end of a game to win it and the Colts went Hail Mary and when asked post game Mora said vandy said it was too long for his leg.

Vanderjagt was 15 of 22 from 50+.    Very good.   230 of 266 for his career overall. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am sure there are more but the only big kick I remember him hitting was the Denver snow game.  

I remember one - the 2003 comeback in Tampa Vanderjagt tried to blow.  In OT, he missed the first one, was bailed out by the leaping call, then doinked the second one in.

Archived