Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo

danlhart87

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard clearly disagrees.   Said they sweated it out hoping he’d fall to them.  Said he was ranked higher than the tackles everyone was hoping they’d take. 

When Ballard said Dayo would’ve been in consideration fir puck 21 had he been healthy, he’s saying he would’ve been ranked right around where Kwity was.    So, in his view, we hit a first rounder with puck 54.   He said he thinks the player is worth the pick.  

I wouldn’t expect to see the full player until 2022.   If we see him in 21, it’ll likely be as a situational player.  I wouldn’t expect more this year. 

Clearly he liked him...hopefully he's the next Mathis or Freeney ... as I said above if one of these 2 pass rushers don't hit big he's going to start taking heat from both fans and media.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frankly what Ballard is saying without saying it is they would have taken this kid over the tackles had the tackles been there.  They got who they wanted.  Let’s remember that Ballard and his scouting department have spent months watching film on these guys and setting up this board.  How many of the would be GMs here can honestly say they have done anything close to that?  They are also well aware of the Colts need at tackle however, just because you need something doesn’t mean that player is available in the draft.

So rather than force a pick because he needed a tackle and hoped it worked out he took a guy who he really likes and also helps fill another major need.  Let’s not kid our selves had the Colts drafted a tackle and a corner let’s say, many of the same people screaming about the oline right now would be screaming about the lack of ends.  The Colts ends were not a strong point last year and they in all likely hood lost both starters in free agency and has been pointed out many times their replacements don’t seem to be on the roster.  The Colts needed major help at end.  When you factor in how good the rest of the oline is and how well they played after AC went out last year you can make a case the need at end was greater.  

Also as I have pointed out in the left tackle thread the Colts still have several other options they can turn to at tackle.  The “comfortable” option of spending a high draft pick on one is gone but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other options there.  I get it people like the idea of taking a tackle high because they should work out to be the answer and it makes you more comfortable with it.  The thing is if a guy isn’t there you feel has the talent to be the answer then drafting him isn’t going to help and as Ballard said last night is kinda like wasting two draft picks the pick you spent on him and the pick you ultimately have to spend to replace him.  

I am also seeing a lot of people saying something along the lines of I didn’t have him rated this high.  That’s nice that you have your own board, and I don’t mean this to sound like a jerk, your board doesn’t mean anything.  Neither do any of the other boards out there put together by “experts” the only board that matters is Ballard’s and he did have him ranked this high.  

Now does this mean all these things are going to work out?  No, of course not.  No GM is perfect and that includes Ballard but he has shown over four years that he’s right more than he’s wrong so maybe before rushing to judgement on draft night to condemn a pick we let it play out a little bit and see what the Colts do and more importantly what the kid can do on the field.  It wasn’t that long ago that many called Leonard the worst pick in the draft.  Now he’s a star.  There is a great video detailing this in another thread if you want to refresher.  I am not saying this kid will be Leonard good but honestly none of us know and none of us will know if he can play or not for a while so why don’t we wait and see? 

Not sure if you are confusing me with someone else, but I am actually supporting the pick of Dayo and the bypassing reaching for OT lol

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So says the fans who think they know more than a NFL general manager.

The comparison isn’t between me and CB. I’m guessing he’d win when comparing nfl knowledge. The true comparison is between Ballard and other GMs. And he’s 32-32. Cue “yeah but Grigson and Luck and blah blah.” He’s 32-32. 

6 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Not sure if you are confusing me with someone else, but I am actually supporting the pick of Dayo and the bypassing reaching for OT lol

I was just building on it not disagreeing with your post.  I really liked your post.

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And Leonard the year before that and Stewart the year before that.  Every year Ballard makes a seemingly off the wall pick.  So far the previous three have panned out rather well so I don’t get why some are not willing to at least give this kid a shot?

PS remember the other night when I jokingly told you to save your fire Ballard for the mainevent?  I think we are there now.

The trolls are in full bloom haha

5 hours ago, HoosierHero said:

I still can’t pronounce this guys name and I’ve been trying for 30 minutes. The real bust tonight is my reading ability haha

After this pick, I mentioned to my wife; "Why can't we ever draft someone with a name like, Ed Smith?"

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All 3 are busts so far, whether it be due to injury or lack of production. Lewis and Turay are in the last year of their contracts. Banogu got benched for all but one game last year. It has nothing to do with time to develop. They are most likely just busts. The fact that Ballard drafted back-to-back EDGE rushers in the first two rounds in a draft where we have no 3rd rounder proves I'm right and he's trying to make up for three busts. Quit trying to defend everything he does. By your definition of a bust, someone has to be out of the league to be a bust.

On a roster that is going to be stacked so tight that we’ll be making serious cuts, a bust by my definition is a player not on the roster.... Malik Hooker and Quincy Wilson was a bust. Kemoko Turay and tyquan Lewis (4 sacks last year) are not busts. They are still contributing, just not as much as you think they should be. Ben Banagou is not a bust (yet), although I think this tells that they believe he will be. 

...you just keep living up to that Prima Donna of the Year award (3 time champion) 

Feels like a bit of a reach but you can't say it's not an area of need. 

We just couldn't get the the passer on passing downs. 

Considering how well the team coped without AC (Holden, Veldeer) I trust the powers that be to put in a solid LT either internally or through the draft and FA

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What was the point of you taking months off only to come back like this?   Worse than ever.

Ballard didn’t say Dayo is a first round player NOW!   He said Dayo WOULD HAVE BEEN if he had not been hurt.   Completely different. You’re so triggered you don’t even hear right.

I can’t say anymore, I don’t want to get suspended.    

came back strong to win the Prima Donna of the Year award (3 time champion). 

So, having slept on it, I have a few thoughts on this draft pick

I think Dayo Odeyingbo has a lot of potential, and if these two draft picks pan out we might have one of the best D-lines in the league... in 2022. BUT, at this point Ballard is replacing his own draft picks; he's made 3 at this position in recent years and haven't had much success.

I'm guessing Ballard didn't see any LTs worth taking at this point in the draft. That in mind I don't have a problem doubling down on DEs, honestly, but I would very much have prefered taking Freiermuth or Terrace Marshall at 54 and saving the second DE pick for the 4th or 5th round. Also, if he was so set on taking a second DE at 54, both Basham and Perkins were still available...

I think September-October is very optimistic for Dayo's return. I mean, look at Turay. He was out a year and came back still not ready. I don't think we will see anything promising from Dayo until 2022 at least.

Right now it's seems a real shame we didn't hold on to Veldeer, who did well for us. Do we have anything at LG if we scoot Q to LT?

Okay... solid pick, who might not pan out until 2022, but has huge upside.

My question is just... how many injuried players have come back to full strenght after they have torn their achilles?

In soccer, David Beckham never came back to his top lever after he torn his achilles, and I could mention a few players in the NFL that never quite reached their full potential after such and injury.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I really don't trust Ballard's evaluations at EDGE rusher. He hasn't hit on one yet in the draft. Paye is worth a 1st rounder and very well may be good for us. That's the first time he's taken a 1st round EDGE though and it should be easy. I have no problem with Paye besides taking him over Darrisaw (which bit us in the rear end in the 2nd round). 

Dayo being a 1st round pick is borderline ridiculous, and I started to watch Ballards press conference. When he said that, I paused it and stopped watching as I couldn't listen to anymore afterwards. He has a torn achilles. That should be a deal breaker right there. The fact that we lost Autry because of very little money and had to spend our 2nd rounder on Dayo without a 3rd rounder after taking Paye makes me mad. 

It is incompetance. Ballard lost a good player because of misguided loyalty and cheapness, then he has to spend a high pick to try and match the production of the player he lost. The added bonus is he tries to justify it by saying Dayo is higher rated than Cosmi and Radunz. No, you just missed out and got caught off-guard and are trying to explain it away by saying you like a panic move better. 

Don't buy he was a 1st round pick even if he didn't tear his achilles. Even so, the fact that he did tear his achilles and Ballard is drafting him in the 2nd to double down on a position is pure incompetance. We lose Autry, and we get a guy with a torn Achilles and get no net gain on day 2 of the draft. Oh yeah, we didn't even trade down and no LT.

When it comes to EDGE, Ballard has no credibility. Sorry, not sorry. It's just the truth. This is only going to enforce that and not change my mind. As I said in the post you facepalmed, I'll believe it when I see it with Paye and Dayo.

Deep breaths my friend. It will be okay. 

look, I don’t say this to be mean or disrespectful but you have many times gone all doomsday end of the world about several Colts moves, rarely ever has the result been anywhere near as bad as what you feared. You’ve said you were done supporting the team so many times that if I had a nickel for each time, I’d be able to buy Amazon from Bezos in cash and still have money left over. 

For your own sake, take some deep breaths and relax. Ballard has a plan, we may not always see it or like it right away, but I’m sure he got a plan. 

If he didn’t have a torn Achilles I’d be hyped. But he does, so I’m not.

I really do like him but we’ll see if he comes back with the same explosion/twitch. If it was an ACL or anything else that’d be fine. But the risk is real and not just a slight one. He might very well never get back to what he was. Tbh I think that’s the more likely outcome.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really do like him but we’ll see if he comes back with the same explosion/twitch. If it was an ACL or anything else that’d be fine. But the risk is real and not just a slight one. He might very well never get back to what he was. Tbh I think that’s the more likely outcome.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. If he didn't have a torn achilles, and Ballard sold it as a 1st round guy that fell to the 2nd, and explained all his traits to how he could help and benefit the team, I would be a bit more receptive to it. However, the fact that he does have a torn achilles, we already drafted Paye in the 1st round, and we don't have a 3rd rounder, and we didn't trade down, makes it impossible to accept anything that comes out of Ballards mouth.

We can't afford to take a risk like this in our situation. Don't forget we are probably without a 1st rounder next year too. This is just one of those situations where he's going to have to hit for me to believe it. Lots of teams may of felt the same way as Ballard about where they had him ranked, but Ballard is the one who took him and is taking the risk on Dayo with the torn Achilles. 

15 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really do like him but we’ll see if he comes back with the same explosion/twitch. If it was an ACL or anything else that’d be fine. But the risk is real and not just a slight one. He might very well never get back to what he was. Tbh I think that’s the more likely outcome.

The doctors on the Colts know the extent of the injuries, and the odds of his recovery

We are one of the more conservative teams with players with injuries.

They know what they are doing

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The doctors on the Colts know the extent of the injuries, and the odds of his recovery

We are one of the more conservative teams with players with injuries.

They know what they are doing

Sure, that’s fair. I’m not a doctor.

Not sure about the whole “conservative with player injuries” though. We’ve been careful with heart stuff (Sweat), but we haven’t shied away from taking guys who had big injuries/injury histories in college: Hooker, Turay, Blackmon, now Dayo.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Sure, that’s fair. I’m not a doctor. 

Not sure about the whole “conservative with player injuries” though. We’ve drafted his that are injury risks before. We’ve been careful with heart stuff (Sweat), but we haven’t shied away from taking guys who had big injuries/injury histories in college: Hooker, Turay, Blackmon, now Dayo. 

I'm not a doctor either... :)

Players do come back from torn achillies 

Evidently they felt his odds were good

Lol before Ac retired everyone cried begged for him to target edge.. now that he did everyone’s crying because he didn’t go Tackle lmao   4/5 great/good linemen can cover for whoever our Tackle will be and if not the Run game surely will take pressure off the passing game..we NEED pass rushers period we lost a lot of it in FA

26 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If definitely a concern. However, I will note that not long ago, ACL tears were considered nearly career ending. Or at least altering. Medical folks have now gotten those down to where for most people, a full return is probable. Every year that passes, increases the likelihood that the other major injuries such as the Achilles will get to the same point.

not saying that will happen here, but just saying I’m not AS concerned about it as I would have been 10 years ago.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can respect that. My major issue is one of your goals heading into the offseason was to keep Denico Autry. You let him test the market, asked what he was getting offered by the Titans, and instead of offering a bit more out of respect (like $500,000) to keep him, you matched the offer and he signed with the Titans. That is Ballards fault 100% as he left it to chance thinking Autry would be loyal. Thanks to that incompetance, we had to spend our 2nd rounder getting an additional pass-rusher instead of using it on another position or possibly trading down for additional picks.

This reply is not just for this post but basically everything you have done in this thread. 

1) Don’t hit send (or submit) in this case. If you write a bunch of posts that may lead you to come back the next day and say “sorry guys, I was too emotional last night” then don’t hit send. I never hit send on a charged business email until I’ve walked away from it. Slept on it or had another set of eyes on it. 

2) Getting all worked up over a draft pick in the immediate hours (ie before they even suited up for a practice or preseason game) after the draft is really silly.  Two years from now if the Colts have this generation Freeney and Mathis will these be bad picks?  Obvious answer here.  BTW the same over exuberance for a pick you like applies. Best to wait til you see the guy actually play before inducting him into Canton. 

3) I would say your characterization of the Autry negotiations is off. If Ballard said go test the market he 100% knew there was a chance that Autry would not be back. It was not the gross incompetence that you allege. It played out exactly as Ballard thought it could. 

4) We don’t and never will have info on how their board stacked up. But just because they have not yet drafted a LT does not mean they won’t or don’t have a plan. They have all kids of contingency plans depending on how the draft falls. But I would say clearly they had Dayo and Paye rated above any potential LT. So if that is the case you take the DE and then go to Plan B for other positions. 

5) A little humility is OK and not a sign of weakness - just like what you came back from in the last couple of weeks. It is OK to say “I don’t know or have as much info as Ballard does.” And if it goes different than you think, saying “he may be right on this” is OK

1 minute ago, will426 said:

Lol before Ac retired everyone cried begged for him to target edge.. now that he did everyone’s crying because he didn’t go Tackle lmao   4/5 great/good linemen can cover for whoever our Tackle will be and if not the Run game surely will take pressure off the passing game..we NEED pass rushers period we lost a lot of it in FA

I would add that so far, Ballard seems to be able to get serviceable OL. No one thought Smith or Glow would be studs but they are. Some of the depth players have played well enough as well. Sure we all want the best across the line but even as we stand now, we’re ten times the OL that the Eagles have. 

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

This reply is not just for this post but basically everything you have done in this thread. 

1) Don’t hit send (or submit) in this case. If you write a bunch of posts that may lead you to come back the next day and say “sorry guys, I was too emotional last night” then don’t hit send. I never hit send on a charged business email until I’ve walked away from it. Slept on it or had another set of eyes on it. 

2) Getting all worked up over a draft pick in the immediate hours (ie before they even suited up for a practice or preseason game) after the draft is really silly.  Two years from now if the Colts have this generation Freeney and Mathis will these be bad picks?  Obvious answer here.  BTW the same over exuberance for a pick you like applies. Best to wait til you see the guy actually play before inducting him into Canton. 

3) I would say your characterization of the Autry negotiations is off. If Ballard said go test the market he 100% knew there was a chance that Autry would not be back. It was not the gross incompetence that you allege. It played out exactly as Ballard thought it could. 

4) We don’t and never will have info on how their board stacked up. But just because they have not yet drafted a LT does not mean they won’t or don’t have a plan. They have all kids of contingency plans depending on how the draft falls. But I would say clearly they had Dayo and Paye rated above any potential LT. So if that is the case you take the DE and then go to Plan B for other positions. 

5) A little humility is OK and not a sign of weakness - just like what you came back from in the last couple of weeks. It is OK to say “I don’t know or have as much info as Ballard does.” And if it goes different than you think, saying “he may be right on this” is OK

Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

Well said!

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's all making sense now. CB wants to make sure we have our 1st round pick next year. The plan is to not address the LT position. Wentz will get his head torn off early in the season and wala.....we get our first round pick back.

Nuts

They called Leonard a reach too. I think Dayo will be a stud. However, I do not relish the idea of watching one of the scrubs currently on the roster try to fill in at LT. It may be time to move Big Q out there at this point, because we have very little in that department.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's all making sense now. CB wants to make sure we have our 1st round pick next year. The plan is to not address the LT position. Wentz will get his head torn off early in the season and wala.....we get our first round pick back.

GIF by Identity

I think Chris Ballard is looking and seeing our schedule and saying look we play Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Kyler, Trevor x2, Watson x2, Brady, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Carr, Russel Wilson, Trey Lance, Tua, & Stafford so I like the pick considering we lost to BUF because we couldn’t touch him.

4 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I think Chris Ballard is looking and seeing our schedule and saying look we play Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Kyler, Trevor x2, Watson x2, Brady, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Carr, Russel Wilson, Trey Lance, Tua, & Stafford so I like the pick considering we lost to BUF because we couldn’t touch him.

And, because a DL committed the most egregious offsides penalty in recent memory.

10 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

hammer time GIF

I love this pick. Yeah, the injury is a concern but this is not a sprint, its a marathon and Ballard knows it. I read somewhere that this kid has the highest ceiling of all D-Lineman in the entire draft. Well, I dont know if thats true, but I really like his size/strength/motor/versatility and if not for the injury he would've been easily a first rounder.

I read the whole thread and I have the feeling a lot of guys here will eat crow in a couple years. 

Archived