Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo

danlhart87

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

A fan of What? Tearing into people doing their job? You would think CB locked himself in the closet for the last 6 months and has single handedly made these picks. His staff has one of the best reputations in the league. As a matter of fact 2 of his assistances were interviewed  for GM jobs this off season. Even the HC is involved in these decisions. You act like you know more and have more insite into the draft and team than all of these guys put together. Sad

His staff has a terrible reputation at EDGE and I don't act like I know more. I act like 31 other teams know more about the EDGE position in the draft, which is true. 

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Oh, you are going to stay a fan and support this team?

:peek:

The amount I support them is based on the amount of effort they give. I won't switch teams, but I do get disinterested when they do stuff like this.

Perhaps your beef is more like chopped liver.

What is 20/20 clear to see is that the TEAM of people that stake their livelihoods on this stuff and with many many years of experience, have convinced CB this guy is draftable. And that CB and staff love his potential.
 Therefore i love the pick.
 CB built a very solid 0-line, and i believe he will sign a starting LT or guard if he moves Nelson. 
 And CB is all-in trying to build a 4-man D-line that can play at a high level.
 And we do know our corners need the QB's having less time to throw than last season.
 I hope Ogedobie, i'll work on this, does get some snaps in next season, it would be good for his development.
 And we should know it's years 2-3 when young DE/T really step up their NFL games. So if he starts playing good football by mid-season 2022, he will be right on if not slightly ahead of schedule.  lol
BTW, i hope he IS 6'5" and 280 ish. Get him in the 290's and rush him beside Buckner. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The amount I support them is based on the amount of effort they give. I won't switch teams, but I do get disinterested when they do stuff like this.

Effort?  Whose effort are you questioning?  :scratch:

I guarantee everyone in the Colts draft room works much longer hours than you or me.

Questioning their effort is absolutely laughable.

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are 100% correct that its a risk

That's why this player was drafted at 54 and not 24.

We ended up with a first round player with a pick in the 2nd round (If all goes well)

Our need on the OL is at left tackle, not a player that might be better suited for RT or G

I 1000% believe going in to the draft that the biggest need was DE (We lost TWO starters)

And...... at 54, we would have needed to give up MANY picks to get back  into the end of the first or early 2nd to get to a player that MIGHT be a candidate to be a LT

Radunz MIGHT be a LT

Cosmi MIGHT be a LT

Eichenberg MIGHT be a LT

These were the players that we could have traded up for

Radunz and Cosmi were both lower ranked prospects according to NFL.COM (Eich was the same) than Dayo

The Dayo injury was part of this ranking

The fact is, and I believe that you would agree..... there is risk in EVERY pick 

2 Years from now, please save up the "I told you so"  

I have been wrong before, will be wrong again, so its ok

Hopefully we will both be pleased with this pick

Well said. I’m with you in hoping for the best. And I will watch today hoping that picks 4-7 garner a few gems. I’m not bashing Ballard. Just expressing genuine concerns.

Was really bummed that Cosmi got so close but not close enough. Ballard said that "they had a couple guys go right before us but frankly we had Dayo higher on our board".  I don't doubt that, but due to need I think that he would have taken one of our either Cosmi or Radunz if they were there. 

Dayo does have some really good tools if he comes back healthy. I can see a lot of stunts with him and Paye. Hopefully this draft makes it so offenses can't pour so much attention into stopping Defo. The talent on this front reminds me of the Eagles d line a couple years ago. A dominant 3 tech and a lot of fresh legs to run out around him. 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Effort?  Whose effort are you questioning?  :scratch:

I guarantee every one in the Colts draft room works much longer hours than you or me.

Questioning their effort is absolutely laughable.

The front office and their tactics. As long as they show consistent progress and give us a chance, I'm in. When you start to make blunders like let Autry get away, and have to draft an EDGE with a torn achilles to make for it. It makes me disinterested. I don't mind losing picks for Wentz, but Ballard didn't try and recover any draft picks either. If you want to build in the draft, then get picks and build in the draft with players who are guaranteed to actually play for us at some point. We got burned on the tackles and I don't know how we're going to make up for that on day 3 unless we just have a "depth competition" to see who starts now.

After the initial shock of this pick I am coming around and changing my mind. Ballard is right that DE are expensive in FA and we really need to draft our own and take some risk with the position. This team has a solid foundation and really only has two immediate glaring needs. That’s tackle and DE. So he could afford to take a risk on someone like this.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

After the initial shock of this pick I am coming around and changing my mind. Ballard is right that DE are expensive in FA and we really need to draft our own and take some risk with the position. This team has a solid foundation and really only has two immediate glaring needs. That’s tackle and DE. So he could afford to take a risk on someone like this.

I'm glad you are there. I'm not yet. I have to watch day 3 today before I can feel better or not about what we did in the first two days. I'm in that disinterested mode right now where I need good players on day 3 to get me to care again. 

The emotion of the fan base during the draft is very predictable.  Not getting a prospect is sort of like that unhealthy relationship with a girlfriend who suddenly seems like the greatest thing ever when we can’t have her anymore.  
GMs that can avoid that emotion build strong teams that contend every year.  Those that can’t.... find themselves picking in the top 10 every year, or spending future drafts on a message board.

2 hours ago, FRW said:

Okay, we take a workout warrior DE that doesn't show on the field in the first round and then again pass on a LT to take another DE who is recovering from a torn Achilles who may not play next year in the second. Wentz may be on the phone to Philly asking to come back. These are the types of picks we skewered Grigson for. Maybe we can find a project LT in the 5th-6th round or a UDFA.

Lol.  Both picks grade out as an “A” by many.

At the moment:  LT - below average LG - best in the league C -great  RG - average  RT - great

Can still can grab Fisher/Okung, still can make a trade, or just roll with Tevi. Wentz is much more mobile than Rivers. People are acting like the season is next month and Colts have no time lol.

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm glad you are there. I'm not yet. I have to watch day 3 today before I can feel better or not about what we did in the first two days. I'm in that disinterested mode right now where I need good players on day 3 to get me to care again. 

I preferably would like to have more picks before taking a risk like this but this team has a very solid foundation where we can take a risk. DE is like QB. They are hard to find. We basically got two first round picks. I said months ago we need to take some risk at this position because they are hard to find. We did that so I am coming around.

Lets also not forget Ballard has access to his medicals. He must feel confident he will recover quickly.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I preferably would like to have more picks before taking a risk like this but this team has a very solid foundation where we can take a risk. DE is like QB. They are hard to find. We basically got two first round picks. I said months ago we need to take some risk at this position because they are hard to find. We did that so I am coming around.

Lets also not forget Ballard has access to his medicals. He must feel confident he will recover quickly.

Ballard said he had no timetable, so I disagree with the bolded. Without the torn achilles, I'd probably have come around to the pick and gone with the "value perspective" of it. I just think it's irresponsible to do what Ballard did and take a guy with a torn achilles without a 3rd rounder and not trade down for some insurance. I can't let that go yet. I'm going to let him justify it today by who he picks and see how he finishes the draft.

20 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

At the moment:  LT - below average LG - best in the league C -great  RG - average  RT - great

Can still can grab Fisher/Okung, still can make a trade, or just roll with Tevi. Wentz is much more mobile than Rivers. People are acting like the season is next month and Colts have no time lol.

Yep.  Team sport.  Having great players around you makes a difference.  Our right guard was considered below average before he got here.  Now he’s a key piece on an excellent offensive line.  Not sure exactly where he rates, but I’d put him above average now.

Kind of amazing we have the best drafting GM in the league yet a ton of armchair GM’s who know enough to lecture him on his job. Send in your resume if you know better than Ballard because I’m sure about 95% of the league would be falling head over heels to sign you. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard said he had no timetable, so I disagree with the bolded. Without the torn achilles, I'd probably have come around to the pick and gone with the "value perspective" of it. I just think it's irresponsible to do what Ballard did and take a guy with a torn achilles without a 3rd rounder and not trade down for some insurance. I can't let that go yet. I'm going to let him justify it today by who he picks and see how he finishes the draft.

Of course Ballard is going to say no timetable. My point Ballard knows what kind of tear it was and how bad it was.  What’s the worse that can happen? He doesn’t come back at full strength. We still have Turay who they believe they have his ankle right now. This isn’t 2017 or 2018. We can take a risk now.

If a guy like Eric Fisher is expected to be back bt week one this guy might be ready too. Ballard clearly liked this more then the tackles left and more then the ones that went right before us. He would of moved up for a tackle if he liked them.

3 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Yep.  Team sport.  Having great players around you makes a difference.  Our right guard was considered below average before he got here.  Now he’s a key piece on an excellent offensive line.  Not sure exactly where he rates, but I’d put him above average now.

Let’s not forget Tevi played with a immobile rivers. Now he has Wentz who isn’t. 

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Kind of amazing we have the best drafting GM in the league yet a ton of armchair GM’s who know enough to lecture him on his job. Send in your resume if you know better than Ballard because I’m sure about 95% of the league would be falling head over heels to sign you. 

I'll say this one more time before day 3 starts. Ballard is not the best drafting GM at EDGE. In fact, you could make an argument he's the worst, which gives credibility why I don't trust the Dayo pick (along with other reasons I said on this thread). I also don't think I know more than Ballard, I just think 31 other GMs know more than Ballard at the EDGE position. So your armchair GM argument is invalid and moot.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll say this one more time before day 3 starts. Ballard is not the best drafting GM at EDGE. In fact, you could make an argument he's the worst, which gives credibility why I don't trust the Dayo pick (along with other reasons I said on this thread). I also don't think I know more than Ballard, I just think 31 other GMs know more than Ballard at the EDGE position. So your armchair GM argument is invalid and moot.

If you held any other GM to the same standard you did Ballard you wouldn’t be making the same argument. The guy has drafted three true edges in the second round, Tyquan Lewis, Kemoko Turay, and Ben Banogu. 

Banogu looks like a bust, Lewis had a solidly productive season last year with 4.0 sacks in a reserve role, and Turay was looking great until he suffered a brutal injury so I’m not sure how much of that is even remotely fair to pin on Ballard.

Finding true impact Edge rushers is arguably one of, if not the hardest positions to find. No one bats .1000 on edge rushers let alone .500 on them. 

didn’t you say you were done being a fan? Why are you still here?

13 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Is this what a Colts message board melt down looks like ?

It's really just one person melting down and I wish people would stop quoting him so I don't have to see it :)

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Perhaps my biggest beef with our decision to go with Dayo in the second round is his Achilles tear in January. Research the recovery percentage from this injury (google HELIO, for example) and you’ll find that nearly 30% of the NFL athletes who suffer this injury do not return. And of the 70% who do, a decent number never recover their explosiveness. 

The Colts cannot know how explosive Dayo will be once recovered. Same with signing a vet like Eric Fisher, who is recovering from the same injury at the same time. And for the cherry on top, 11 months appears to be the likely time period to get back to playing form. Meaning Dayo may be a redshirt for the 2022 season. For a team as dependent on the draft as the Colts, I just don’t see it. 

Im sure there are many who will disagree with me. And I would appreciate comments from anyone who can clarify if my take on the Achilles injury is accurate. But I remain disappointed with the pick after a night to sleep on it.

I have personally had this injury myself and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I tore my Achilles in a pick up basketball game.

After 6 months I was still walking with a limp. It took me a full year before I was back to normal and a 1 1/2 years to do all the physical activities I did before. I religiously did all my physical therapy. 

Of course I would never compare myself to an NFL athlete but I can completely understand that 70% of players never resume their previous explosiveness.

It's the same with NBA players. They can no longer leap or jump as high.

It takes a long time for it not to hurt when you "push off" to engage the OL/DL or to jump and leap. That is the biggest challenge in overcoming this injury.

Some in this thread are acting like a spoiled child on Christmas throwing tantrum because they didn’t get everything they asked for.  If you feel that applies to you maybe there is a reason you feel that way and you should take a step back and breath.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Indy was 12th in sacks last season.  I believe 7 or 8 GM’s were replaced in the off season.  He hasn’t had the opportunity to draft high except for the big Q pick, which is where your chance of drafting an elite edge rusher is.  I’d say he’s done pretty good.  And perhaps he managed to steal a great one late in the second round, albeit one that won’t be ready this year. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

His staff has a terrible reputation at EDGE and I don't act like I know more. I act like 31 other teams know more about the EDGE position in the draft, which is true. 

Neither one of your points is TRUE, it's overreaction day!

The front office and their tactics. As long as they show consistent progress and give us a chance, I'm in. When you start to make blunders like let Autry get away, and have to draft an EDGE with a torn achilles to make for it. It makes me disinterested. I don't mind losing picks for Wentz, but Ballard didn't try and recover any draft picks either. If you want to build in the draft, then get picks and build in the draft with players who are guaranteed to actually play for us at some point. We got burned on the tackles and I don't know how we're going to make up for that on day 3 unless we just have a "depth competition" to see who starts now.

Guess you missed it. He listened to offers to trade back.
 They were not worthy!
  We all are sorry there wasn't a LT sittiing there for us at 54.
 And i can't imagine they have ANY plan/hopes to draft one now.
  Hmmm! Are there other/better options? Yip!

No one had to do anything...

Ballard chose to draft this guy. If he wanted someone else, he would have taken them. And if he wanted Autry back, he'd be back. By no means am I suggesting that every decision that Ballard has made has been the right one. He wouldn't argue that himself and I'm certainly not going to argue it for him. This wasn't a decision that he had to make but one that he wanted to make. His hit rate is plenty high enough for me to be happy with this pick even though it's surprising.

Good advice to take only 'players who are guaranteed to actually play' though. If only more teams tried this! Maybe we should tell Ballard to only draft good players too?

41 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Is this what a Colts message board melt down looks like ?

Yep.

If you have the blues, or are feeling a little down, just come in here and read some of the meltdowns.

Guaranteed to lift your spirits just from the hilarious entertainment value of them!

7 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Jared is passionate. He has legitimate concerns

We all have concerns.   His are just expressed poorly.   And it’s been the same for years.   Different issues, same meltdowns. 

Wash, rinse, repeat.    (Sigh...)

Archived