Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo

danlhart87

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea who Dayo was when the Colts chose him. After reading about him and what Ballard's ideas were, he sounds like he could be a good fit. The only concern is his injury: will it affect his type of play? The Colts apparently don't think so, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Still, I wasn't happy when Washington took Sam Cosmi or when Cleveland took JOK. I would say "curses" to those teams, but both teams have already been cursed in the past. :D

Well this officially puts to bed any notion that Ballard doesn't draft according to BPA rather than need. Tbf I was rolling my eyes and scratching my head when the pick came through, I wasn't expecting a double up on edge and one carrying an injury too. But I guess as fans we tend to want instant returns from drafted players and are reluctant to always see the longer term picture. After sleeping on it and doing a little research I can see Dayo has a lot of upside and was a 1st round consideration to plenty of teams without the injury so I can see the attraction for Ballard as we have struggled to get to QBs for years now really and it needed addressing. Most people I've read have him as a 3rd with the injury so I see how some see it as a bit of a reach but as we didn't have a 3rd to play with I guess it was reach a bit or lose him so can see the thinking. It was interesting to hear Ballard say they had him higher than the tackles that were drafted just above us (I'm inclined to believe that is always the narrative though), I think this forum would have melted if we had drafted him with Cosmi and Radunz still on the board!!

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I am currently running around my lounge banging my head on all five walls cursing the man we call ‘picker of trash’. I have set fire to all my Colts regalia (including my Tony Ugoh jersey) and I have emailed Bill Polian asking forgiveness for mocking his ‘great draft of the Centers’ in two thousand and bust. 

Note: my wife has pointed out that I can sometimes over react. But anyway, I am done with this team forever. Be good everyone.....

No, not the Ugoh jersey!!!! :lol:

Okay, we take a workout warrior DE that doesn't show on the field in the first round and then again pass on a LT to take another DE who is recovering from a torn Achilles who may not play next year in the second. Wentz may be on the phone to Philly asking to come back. These are the types of picks we skewered Grigson for. Maybe we can find a project LT in the 5th-6th round or a UDFA.

Yes.  Dayo is a good player.  I knew who he was and about his injury when the name came up.  Back in December, before I got into draft mode, I figured Autry would be gone and Dayo jumped out at me as the best replacement.

He's basically the same player as Payton Turner, only better.  But he fell off the radar after the achillies.

I think some of us dont like the pick bc we really wanted LT. And then others dont like the pick bc although there is no huge problem with doubling down on edge hes not the edge player we had in mind At All! But if(and i had to do this too) you take a minute to watch a bit more film and think of him as an Interior Pass Rusher and not so much as an Edge Player you will start to come around. Its almost like having 2 Buckners. Only this Buckner while being a little raw has tools that you can coach up to get quality snaps on the edge as well. He basically plays every spot on the field. I think he could even play Grover Stewart spot if asked to eventually. He even said himself i will play whatever spot on the line you want me to. I like this from the stand point that i know what we looked like when Buckner did not play that game against Tenn. We looked like a really weak and exploitable team with No Depth. Now we have what is potentially a better answer for when Buckner goes down.

Just now, krunk said:

I think some of us dont like the pick bc we really wanted LT. And then others dont like the pick bc although there is no huge problem with doubling down on edge hes not the edge player we had in mind At All! But if(and i had to do this too) you take a minute to watch a bit more film and think of him as an Interior Pass Rusher and not so much as an Edge Player you will start to come around. Its almost like having 2 Buckners. Only this Buckner while being a little raw has tools that you can coach up to play on the edge as well. He basically plays every spot on the field. I think he could even play Grover Stewart spot if asked to eventually. He even said himself i will play whatever spot on the line you want me to. I like this from the stand point that i know what we looked like when Buckner did not play that game against Tenn. We looked like a really weak and exploitable team with No Depth. Now we have what is potentially a better answer for when Buckner goes down.

It’s 100% because of the injury for me. I really like the player but this is the only injury besides neck/spinal stuff that would make me stay away.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s 100% because of the injury for me. I really like the player but this is the only injury besides neck/spinal stuff that would make me stay away.

Yeah that too but the Achilles seems to be something people shy away from the most with RB. Maybe its not so devastating at other positions. Im not quite sure. Only thing i know is Ballard doesnt make these types of decisions with his Ego. We just have to trust they did their homework and weighed the pros and cons.

Awful lot of, 'If he wasn't injured he'd been a first rounder' crap on here. The fact is he is injured. Severely injured. A torn Achilles is often career ending. So to rationalize this pick by alluding to where he would have gone if healthy is worthless because he's not healthy. He may not even play next year. If we had taken him in the 5th or 6th round or as UDFA then that argument is valid, but we didn't. We took him in the second. That changes everything.  Hooker and Turay had talent, but were often injured in college. Hooker is gone and Turay is hanging on by his surgically repaired ankle, and neither ever completed a full year or reached their full potential. So we are replacing an oft injured Turay with a guy who will enter the building unable to perform because of injury. Hey makes sense to me.

You could just as easily say if Luck hadn't had dealt with all his injuries we would have been set at QB. Or if AC hadn't retired we wouldn't need a LT. As Dandy Don's grandfather used to say, 'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.'

7 minutes ago, FRW said:

Awful lot of, 'If he wasn't injured he'd been a first rounder' crap on here. The fact is he is injured. Severely injured. A torn Achilles is often career ending. So to rationalize this pick by alluding to where he would have gone if healthy is worthless because he's not healthy. He may not even play next year. If we had taken him in the 5th or 6th round or as UDFA then that argument is valid, but we didn't. We took him in the second. That changes everything.  Hooker and Turay had talent, but were often injured in college. Hooker is gone and Turay is hanging on by his surgically repaired ankle, and neither ever completed a full year or reached their full potential. So we are replacing an oft injured Turay with a guy who will enter the building unable to perform because of injury. Hey makes sense to me.

You could just as easily say if Luck hadn't had dealt with all his injuries we would have been set at QB. Or if AC hadn't retired we wouldn't need a LT. As Dandy Don's grandfather used to say, 'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.'

Nice post! Well written!

Perhaps my biggest beef with our decision to go with Dayo in the second round is his Achilles tear in January. Research the recovery percentage from this injury (google HELIO, for example) and you’ll find that nearly 30% of the NFL athletes who suffer this injury do not return. And of the 70% who do, a decent number never recover their explosiveness. 

The Colts cannot know how explosive Dayo will be once recovered. Same with signing a vet like Eric Fisher, who is recovering from the same injury at the same time. And for the cherry on top, 11 months appears to be the likely time period to get back to playing form. Meaning Dayo may be a redshirt for the 2022 season. For a team as dependent on the draft as the Colts, I just don’t see it. 

Im sure there are many who will disagree with me. And I would appreciate comments from anyone who can clarify if my take on the Achilles injury is accurate. But I remain disappointed with the pick after a night to sleep on it.

23 minutes ago, FRW said:

Okay, we take a workout warrior DE that doesn't show on the field in the first round and then again pass on a LT to take another DE who is recovering from a torn Achilles who may not play next year in the second. Wentz may be on the phone to Philly asking to come back. These are the types of picks we skewered Grigson for. Maybe we can find a project LT in the 5th-6th round or a UDFA.

What LT did you want? They were all gone. 

41 minutes ago, el duderino said:

I love this pick. Yeah, the injury is a concern but this is not a sprint, its a marathon and Ballard knows it. I read somewhere that this kid has the highest ceiling of all D-Lineman in the entire draft. Well, I dont know if thats true, but I really like his size/strength/motor/versatility and if not for the injury he would've been easily a first rounder.

I read the whole thread and I have the feeling a lot of guys here will eat crow in a couple years. 

What is getting a lot of us is that we need help at edge now. Not 2 years. We might have a full room but its full of question marks and possible bust picks.

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Perhaps my biggest beef with our decision to go with Dayo in the second round is his Achilles tear in January. Research the recovery percentage from this injury (google HELIO, for example) and you’ll find that nearly 30% of the NFL athletes who suffer this injury do not return. And of the 70% who do, a decent number never recover their explosiveness. 

The Colts cannot know how explosive Dayo will be once recovered. Same with signing a vet like Eric Fisher, who is recovering from the same injury at the same time. And for the cherry on top, 11 months appears to be the likely time period to get back to playing form. Meaning Dayo may be a redshirt for the 2022 season. For a team as dependent on the draft as the Colts, I just don’t see it. 

Im sure there are many who will disagree with me. And I would appreciate comments from anyone who can clarify if my take on the Achilles injury is accurate. But I remain disappointed with the pick after a night to sleep on it.

Do you not think it matters when this injury occurs? I think its probably easier for a 20 year old to come back than it is a 30 plus year old tackle.

10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree, and not only that, it usually takes 2 years to get back to full strength. So this pick is very long-term. 

I get people's concern with the injury....... but I would like to think the Colts have sought the opinion and expert advice of professionals with knowledge and experience of theses injuries and his particular injury rather than just googling it on the web and then winging it! 

Just now, DoubleE Colt said:

I get people's concern with the injury....... but I would like to think the Colts have sought the opinion and expert advice of professionals with knowledge and experience of theses injuries and his particular injury rather than just googling it on the web and then winging it! 

It's not an exact science, if it was, everyone would recover in the same timeframe. He just tore it in January, that's only 3 months ago. An achilles injury is much worse than an ACL tear. It takes about a year to heal and another year to get back to full strength. A lot of players do have to retire from it or get their careers cut short. This is a HUGE risk in the 2nd round in a draft where we already took Paye and don't have a 3rd rounder.

6 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

What is getting a lot of us is that we need help at edge now. Not 2 years. We might have a full room but its full of question marks and possible bust picks.

I’d say we have help at edge right now with the current roster having another year of experience in the same system along with our first rounder.  The free agents that people clamored for had similar initial years and there were reasons their teams didn’t re-sign them.  

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Brandon Brooks was a Pro Bowl Guard for the Eagles 

He had a ruptured achilles at the end of the season 

In 2019, 12 months later, he was again named to the Pro bowl

There are also extents of these injuries that make it worse 

One persons ruptured achillies can be much worse than the others

The Colts did their homework before their selection, speaking with all of the medical experts that had intregal knowledge of the injury and even how well the kid is recovering....

But

Nothing is for sure.....  

I tend to trust CB

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not an exact science, if it was, everyone would recover in the same timeframe. He just tore it in January, that's only 3 months ago. An achilles injury is much worse than an ACL tear. It takes about a year to heal and another year to get back to full strength. A lot of players do have to retire from it or get their careers cut short. This is a HUGE risk in the 2nd round in a draft where we already took Paye and don't have a 3rd rounder.

I think I would have been more miffed it there were the tackles that went just above us left on the board.....I'm not 100% sold on the move myself I'd just like to think that Ballard and co have more knowledge of his particular injury extend to be confident it's not a future issue.

I don’t understand the narrative that Tennessee drafted Radunz to ensure we didn’t get him.  Why would a team waste a pick on a guy projected to be a guard in the NFL and with many weaknesses against lessor competition in order that we can’t get him to play one of the more critical positions in the league?  So they essentially drafted the next Joe Haeg, who is very similar, so that we couldn’t get him.  Maybe a good pick for them as they need right side help.  Would not have been for us.

Kevin Durant actually improved his points per game after his Achilles injury

Here are a few others.....

https://in.nba.com/news/nba-finals-2019-notable-players-who-have-returned-from-a-ruptured-achilles/1n9zw4ai4pb8x1cfabwoafokiy

I agree its a risk, but the younger the better, and seeing the extent of the injury is important

A partial tear is different than a full tear

Ballard has yet to draft a quality DE.. 

I hope one of these guys are. But no, I'm not blown away and no, I'm not a draft guy so if you all are experts at this and just know this was lights out, cool. I have my questions, but as always, we'll see. This season isn't going to be dictated by these picks anyway. 

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I forgot that Ballard has hit on so many EDGE rushers in the draft. Turay.... Oh wait. Lewis.... Oh wait. Banogu.... Oh wait. I guess he hasn't hit on any yet. That's why he is drafting two in a row and even reaching on the second one in order to replace his three busts in a desperate attempt to create a pass-rush for us.

That's what happens when you sign Issac Rochell in FA and are too cheap to pay a little extra for Denico Autry thinking he'll have blind loyalty to you. 

It's more like any regular professional GM on a real NFL team is better than Ballard at the EDGE position in the draft, and I always get that feeling when Ballard takes an EDGE, that it's going to turn out poorly.

First time: Ohhh, lets see what Ballard does with these picks (Turay and Lewis)

Second time, I'll give Ballard one more chance (Banogu)

Third time, I'll believe they are good when it happens (Paye and Dayo)

Ballard is like the little boy who cried wolf with EDGE rushers in the draft. It gets old after a while.

So do you!

Here’s an article on NFL players returning from Achilles tears:

https://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

Pretty good, lengthy article. There’s a lot of factors at play. Biggest key is just let it heal completely. No rushing him back like Turay.

39 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Brandon Brooks was a Pro Bowl Guard for the Eagles 

He had a ruptured achilles at the end of the season 

In 2019, 12 months later, he was again named to the Pro bowl

There are also extents of these injuries that make it worse 

One persons ruptured achillies can be much worse than the others

The Colts did their homework before their selection, speaking with all of the medical experts that had intregal knowledge of the injury and even how well the kid is recovering....

But

Nothing is for sure.....  

I tend to trust CB

I do get that the Colts had to have done some extensive reviews of the Achilles injury. But it’s still a big gamble. And with no 3rd round pick and the likelihood that Dayo misses most if not all of next season, it’s a curious choice for a team that depends so heavily on the draft. I’m a fan of Ballard but not of this pick. 

For what it's worth --

Yeah, I shook my head too when Odeyingbo's name was called.  And the guy I wanted was picked with the very next pick.

But I also think that this pick isn't the mover and shaker for how Ballard's 2021 will be judged.

He will be judged more, I think, by the move of bringing Wentz here.  The results of that decision will have more of an effect on this year (and maybe the next four years) than choosing Odeyingbo in the 2nd round.

Just some perspective.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think some of us dont like the pick bc we really wanted LT. And then others dont like the pick bc although there is no huge problem with doubling down on edge hes not the edge player we had in mind At All! But if(and i had to do this too) you take a minute to watch a bit more film and think of him as an Interior Pass Rusher and not so much as an Edge Player you will start to come around. Its almost like having 2 Buckners. Only this Buckner while being a little raw has tools that you can coach up to get quality snaps on the edge as well. He basically plays every spot on the field. I think he could even play Grover Stewart spot if asked to eventually. He even said himself i will play whatever spot on the line you want me to. I like this from the stand point that i know what we looked like when Buckner did not play that game against Tenn. We looked like a really weak and exploitable team with No Depth. Now we have what is potentially a better answer for when Buckner goes down.

Good post.

We debated this on the forum before the draft. Some of us said this GM had set himself up to pick best player available (of course on his list), and some thought he wouldn't. He has always tried to go into drafts without obvious needs. When he got those FA tackles, folks were warned, this might be it.

I can't knock it. Castonzo was missed but we can scheme around the position, we don't need an ELITE LT to be fine. Plus isnt the new QB mobile?

I think he keeps picking the best player on his list, and long may it continue. What we don't know is how he grades the players, my bet is positions of need get that little uptick in score, and if they still fall behind other positions when the time comes then so be it. 

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He must have had long arms or big hands or some above average measurements :funny:

Shhh.  Don't vocally poo-poo analytics or the value of data mining.  Big brother is always listening.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm a fan, Ballard is the GM. That's the difference. 

A fan of What? Tearing into people doing their job? You would think CB locked himself in the closet for the last 6 months and has single handedly made these picks. His staff has one of the best reputations in the league. As a matter of fact 2 of his assistances were interviewed  for GM jobs this off season. Even the HC is involved in these decisions. You act like you know more and have more insite into the draft and team than all of these guys put together. Sad

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I do get that the Colts had to have done some extensive reviews of the Achilles injury. But it’s still a big gamble. And with no 3rd round pick and the likelihood that Dayo misses most if not all of next season, it’s a curious choice for a team that depends so heavily on the draft. I’m a fan of Ballard but not of this pick. 

You are 100% correct that its a risk

That's why this player was drafted at 54 and not 24.

We ended up with a first round player with a pick in the 2nd round (If all goes well)

Our need on the OL is at left tackle, not a player that might be better suited for RT or G

I 1000% believe going in to the draft that the biggest need was DE (We lost TWO starters)

And...... at 54, we would have needed to give up MANY picks to get back  into the end of the first or early 2nd to get to a player that MIGHT be a candidate to be a LT

Radunz MIGHT be a LT

Cosmi MIGHT be a LT

Eichenberg MIGHT be a LT

These were the players that we could have traded up for

Radunz and Cosmi were both lower ranked prospects according to NFL.COM (Eich was the same) than Dayo

The Dayo injury was part of this ranking

The fact is, and I believe that you would agree..... there is risk in EVERY pick 

2 Years from now, please save up the "I told you so"  

I have been wrong before, will be wrong again, so its ok

Hopefully we will both be pleased with this pick

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

A fan of What? Tearing into people doing their job? You would think CB locked himself in the closet for the last 6 months and has single handedly made these picks. His staff has one of the best reputations in the league. As a matter of fact 2 of his assistances were interviewed  for GM jobs this off season. Even the HC is involved in these decisions. You act like you know more and have more insite into the draft and team than all of these guys put together. Sad

Dude.  He plays madden.    That's all you need

Archived