Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo

danlhart87

Just now, FRW said:

Okay, we take a workout warrior DE that doesn't show on the field in the first round and then again pass on a LT to take another DE who is recovering from a torn Achilles who may not play next year in the second. Wentz may be on the phone to Philly asking to come back. These are the types of picks we skewered Grigson for. Maybe we can find a project LT in the 5th-6th round or a UDFA.

There are still good vets out there. I won’t be surprised if we sign one. Okung and peters are out there.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to believe that the Cosmi and Radunz picks ahead of #54 pushed the Colts to this pick. That said, I have to say I feel deflated by this pick. The Colts remain needy at LT. TE. CB. For a team as draft dependent as the Colts to double  down at DE with a player who won’t be ready before October? I’m confused.

Interesting pick but lord knows we needed more defensive end help.

Rap was saying teams had first round grades on Odeyingbo, so maybe we could get our long term starters at DE with Paye and Odeyingbo. Also likely won't be ready until late September or into October, but by playoff time he should be contributing quite a bit I would imagine.

Just now, Hoose said:

Got to believe that the Cosmi and Radunz picks ahead of #54 pushed the Colts to this pick. That said, I have to say I feel deflated by this pick. The Colts remain needy at LT. TE. CB. For a team as draft dependent as the Colts to double  down at DE with a player who won’t be ready before October? I’m confused.

This D feeds off great DL and pressure 

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

Kind of hard to be excited about dude coming off an injury.... Especially when we have some other holes that need to be filled. Hopefully day three will be better.

Blackmon came off injury 

Hate this pick ... the colts don't have the luxury of redshirt risks in the 2nd round ..especially at a position where Ballard hasn't shown he necessarily has an eye for.... if the OT were reaching we should have chosen a different position or traded back.

Houston was gone anyway. Why 2 DE's at 1st and 2nd picks? We have no 3rd pick, This is least amount of picks we've had in Ballard's regime. I just don't get this pick, we need LT now! If you want Wentz to play at high level and not get hurt, he has to stay in low teens in sacks if not lower!

4 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Hopefully he is ready by October.  We have added a lot of talent too defensive line with these picks. We still need a LB,  secondary  for defense.  On Offense we need OT, TE and a WR in that order. I would feel better if we can get another pick and someone find a way to get Brown, Mayfield or Christensen for OT.

A BYU fan here and someone who has spent a lot of time watching them Christensen I believe will be a very solid player at LT in the NFL. I think he needs a year or so to acclimate to the pace and skill he will face at the next level but I think he has all the tangibles to do so. I don’t think he makes it past the 3rd round so unless we trade up probably won’t get him.

Just now, esmort said:

Hate this pick ... the colts don't have the luxury of redshirt risks in the 2nd round ..especially at a position where Ballard hasn't shown he necessarily has an eye for.... if the OT were reaching we should have chosen a different position or traded back.

Maybe they tried too

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Leonard was three years ago...and he had monster college production and didn’t have a torn Achilles.

I was referring to the negativity people have on this site when it comes to draft picks.   Even the Paye pick wasn't popular with many on here.   Even though he was projected to go 3-5 picks before the Colts.   Even though all I have seen and read from experts grade it mostly as an "A" pick.    The Leonard pick was bashed by many on here and they have all been proven totally wrong.    I choose to wait and see what Ballard seen in this guy.   

His draft profile:

Explosive defensive line prospect with outstanding physical skills and a large upside. Plays with consistent knee bend, fundamentally sound, and very effective with his hands. Fires off the snap with a terrific first step and rushes the edge with speed. Sets the edge and occupies blockers. Intense. Easily gets down the line of scrimmage and out into space to make plays, chases the action hard, and is rarely off his feet. Remains disciplined with assignments and does more than pin his ears back and rush up the field.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Heck no. My brother in law who's a niners fan says he gets pushed around a lot. A safety knocked him on his *. He says his play declined a lot after he became vegan.

Well if your brother in law said it,   it must be true

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

That was the danger in not taking offensive tackle on day 1, a run on tackles. Once Radunz went at 53, then its a drop to the next tier of tackles.

Has Ballard and our scouts not earned a little trust?! Geeeeeez lol. Tough crowd. 

Blackmon was injured! There’s clearly a plan for OT. Our “needs” outside of that are massively being overstated. Relaxxx. We have a damn good football team!

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Maybe they tried too

If they couldnt trade back they could have picked another position ... it's not like the Colts are so deep at other positions they couldn't have chosen a player that would have contributed. The didn't HAVE to take an OT or DL there.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

If they couldnt trade back they could have picked another position ... it's not like the Colts are so deep at other positions They HAD to take an OT or DL there.

They are most likely losing Houston too after already losing Autry

This double down approach is awesome in many ways. We got two first round graded pass rushers that mirror Houston and Autry (though younger) in style, which the staff knows works in our system. 

Additionally, this puts Turay, Lewis, Rochell, Muhammad and Banogu on alert that you better play your tail off or you're losing a job and a roster spot.

10 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Wow. Wow. Very surprised but I will never not have faith in CB. I remember not being thrilled about Blackmon & having to “wait for him to get healthy”, and then BOOM, DROY candidate. 

My biggest takeaway is that he has something brewing for OT via trade or free agency (pls don’t move Nelson). That’s exciting to contemplate. 

He had a torn ACL...not a torn Achilles. The list of players who have returned from that is not long.

Also, Blackmon was a 3rd round pick...in a draft where they had an extra 2.

Different circumstances...but we will see.

20 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

is Taylor Lewan going to be an option? Wasn't he at LT for the titans, didnt they just take an LT? I feel like they took that OT in spite of us tbh. Might be a little homerism but I feel like teams definitely do that kinda thing. 

I was wondering myself why the hell they took him besides just to screw us 

2 minutes ago, HoosierHero said:

I still can’t pronounce this guys name and I’ve been trying for 30 minutes. The real bust tonight is my reading ability haha

Well since he's injured and probably won't play until atleast October,  you have like at least 5 more months to practice :D

6 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Has Ballard and our scouts not earned a little trust?! Geeeeeez lol. Tough crowd. 

Blackmon was injured! There’s clearly a plan for OT. Our “needs” outside of that are massively being overstated. Relaxxx. We have a damn good football team!

Bad idea if it is to move Nelson

I think that only the people who complain here are like serious madden gamers. They get all bent out of shape cause in madden they drafted the top 7 out of 7 players and know how easy it is to draft the best players. You know you just simulate the draft and write down all the best players and then restart the draft and trade your mid level crappy players for top picks cause it’s so easy to do. I mean duh Ballard doesn’t know how easy it is to draft players??

Archived