Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superbowl - takeaways

Rackeen305

I know CB is watching. And he's looking at the competition. Not interested in Divisional Banners, first round playoff exits, etc. He's looking at key players at key positions. And how the opposing team is made up.

QB Play: You have to have a QB that can at a minimum scramble. Once Defenses blitz and create pressure, resulting in the QB having to step up or throw off schedule, you have to be able to buy time. If not, bad results.

By the end of the 3rd Quarter, one thing I noticed that is strikingly different from the Colts team (Both KC and TB considered), there hasn't been any bad coaching calls, timeouts, or just overall game management. Sure, one team's game plan is going to beat another team's game plan, but bonehead calls, formations and most importantly BAD COACHING DECISIONS is not apparent.

Special Teams: You have to have solid Punting and Kicking. KC punter has been atrocious. Their Kicker has been solid.

Oline: You always need quality backup olinemen. KC came into the game down 2 starters (LT, and RG). This is definitely revealing itself as a weakness as the game continues into the 4th quarter. TB on the other hand has ex Colt Joe Haeg playing in his first Superbowl. TB's oline has been able to contain KC's Chris Jones while still creating holes for the running back (USC's Ronald Jones, and Leonard Fornette of LSU).

Defense: Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. TB has been creating havoc against KC's oline. Mahomes has been off scheduled, and throwing off balance all game. GREAT job by Todd Bowles, and TB's front 7. Especially Shaq Barrett, JPP, and Suh.

RB: Both team are having excellent RB play. 

WR/TE: Hello and Congratulations to Antonio Brown of Miami, FL. He's had a long road and has performed well with at least 1 TD. Gronk has 2 TDs and is a mis-match for KCs defense. 

Score 31-9 4th Quarter 8:20, TB driving with a 3 and out. One thing I've noticed is that Mahomes is on the sidelines and KCs defense has been terrible. The honey badger has been rattled by the great Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich's offense. All in all, TB's coaching staff Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich and Todd Bowles out game planned Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 

If there is one thing to take away from the Superbowl where the Colts can learn from is, no matter who the Colts pick up in the Draft or Free Agency, you cannot compound holes/ bad situations with erratic coaching. Once again, one team's game plan will beat another team's game plan but untimely timeouts, untimely penalties, will kill your scoring drives. No matter who the QB is. And the Colts didn't even have Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady to bail them out of bad situations. Oh and the halftime show was Great by The Weeknd.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the biggest takeaway is how healthy a team is after going through grinder of the playoffs is important and really why repeating as champs is hard to do and why no team has won 3 SBs in a row. At some point depth is tested.

Loss of LT Fisher clearly was huge as Mahomes was under duress the whole night.

As a franchise we had a similar situation in SB in 2010 vs Saints when Freeney was nicked up in AFCCG and was limited in effectiveness.

The other point I would make is that Tampa won this championship with a defense that played really well come playoff time.  Being able to  generate pressure is the key. 

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Dear God!

Or you can save your breathe and keep scrolling... I can post whatever I choose. If you cant explain your laziness...keep scrolling. No need to spam. Football Only. I wrote 2 paragraphs worth of football for you to complain about. lazy. "Dear God". I see. Oh where is your team again???

12 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I know CB is watching. And he's looking at the competition. Not interested in Divisional Banners, first round playoff exits, etc. He's looking at key players at key positions. And how the opposing team is made up.

QB Play: You have to have a QB that can at a minimum scramble. Once Defenses blitz and create pressure, resulting in the QB having to step up or throw off schedule, you have to be able to buy time. If not, bad results.

By the end of the 3rd Quarter, one thing I noticed that is strikingly different from the Colts team (Both KC and TB considered), there hasn't been any bad coaching calls, timeouts, or just overall game management. Sure, one team's game plan is going to beat another team's game plan, but bonehead calls, formations and most importantly BAD COACHING DECISIONS is not apparent.

Special Teams: You have to have solid Punting and Kicking. KC punter has been atrocious. Their Kicker has been solid.

Oline: You always need quality backup olinemen. KC came into the game down 2 starters (LT, and RG). This is definitely revealing itself as a weakness as the game continues into the 4th quarter. TB on the other hand has ex Colt Joe Haeg playing in his first Superbowl. TB's oline has been able to contain KC's Chris Jones while still creating holes for the running back (USC's Ronald Jones, and Leonard Fornette of LSU).

Defense: Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. TB has been creating havoc against KC's oline. Mahomes has been off scheduled, and throwing off balance all game. GREAT job by Todd Bowles, and TB's front 7. Especially Shaq Barrett, JPP, and Suh.

WR/TE: Hello and Congratulations to Antonio Brown of Miami, FL. He's had a long road and has performed well with at least 1 TD. Gronk has 2 TDs and is a mis-match for KCs defense. 

Score 31-9 4th Quarter 8:20, TB driving with a 3 and out. One thing I've noticed is that Mahomes is on the sidelines and KCs defense has been terrible. The honey badger has been rattled by the great Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich's offense. All in all, TB's coaching staff Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich and Todd Bowles out game planned Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 

If there is one thing to take away from the Superbowl where the Colts can learn from is, no matter who the Colts pick up in the Draft or Free Agency, you cannot compound holes/ bad situations with erratic coaching. Once again, one team's game plan will beat another team's game plan but untimely timeouts, untimely penalties, will kill your scoring drives. No matter who the QB is. And the Colts didn't even have Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady to bail them out of bad situations. Oh and the halftime show was Great by The Weeknd.

Ahhh...   ehhh....   uhhh...

Under the heading of QB where you observed that a team has to have, at a minimum, a quarterback who can scramble....    may I introduce you to Tom Brady, the SB winner for the 7th time.   And no one has ever described TB as a QB who can scramble. 

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The old saying holds true. Defense wins championships. Bucs defensive game plan worked to perfection. Double team and play physical with their WRs and David/White holding Kelce in check. Pressure pressure pressure.

It didn’t help KC that both of their starting O-tackles were out for various reason.  There were three players starting in in their OL positions that they were not familiar with.  That’s a recipe for disaster which we all saw. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Under the heading of QB where you observed that a team has to have, at a minimum, a quarterback who can scramble....    may I introduce you to Tom Brady, the SB winner for the 7th time.   And no one has ever described TB as a QB who can scramble. 

And is probably showing and proving that scrambling QBs are fun to watch, until they’re injured... 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Scramble = Buy time. Just because your can scramble (Brees, TB12, Rodgers) doesn't mean you are mobile (Josh Allan, Lamar, Jackson, Watson). Scramble is the key word.

Better yet, because I know people like you love to fact check with lose arguments, here is the definition of scramble 

"make one's way quickly or awkwardly up a steep slope or over rough ground by using one's hands as well as one's feet."

In other words, the opposite of RIvers. Try again.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

It didn’t help KC that both of their starting O-tackles were out for various reason.  There were three players starting in in their OL positions that they were not familiar with.  That’s a recipe for disaster which we all saw. 

Course that helped, but it was still a very good defensive game plan.

Half time show was awful. I could hardly hear the singer, but maybe that was on purpose. Incredible choregraphed light show, but his singing talent was did not inspire me at all and I wonder why he got the gig. 

If that is SB entertainment, it failed on me big time. It made me want to play some Slayer....and I don't even listen to heavy metal. 

It's obvious my era is over, and that is kinda sad. 

28 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Guessing the OP thought calling timeouts in the first half was a genius by Andy.

Utterly ridiculous calling time outs when TB was at most 30 yards from FG position. The math on that move had to be ridiculously bad.

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Scramble = Buy time. Just because your can scramble (Brees, TB12, Rodgers) doesn't mean you are mobile (Josh Allan, Lamar, Jackson, Watson). Scramble is the key word.

Better yet, because I know people like you love to fact check with lose arguments, here is the definition of scramble 

"make one's way quickly or awkwardly up a steep slope or over rough ground by using one's hands as well as one's feet."

The superbowl mvp didn't scramble much.   Not sure what your point is

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

What?   Are?   You?   Talking?   About?!? 

Tom doesn’t do any of those things.   At best he can make subtle moves inside a pocket to buy a split second.  But that’s not what you talked about in either post.  TB is a pocket passer — period. 

You stated something as fact that is wrong.  And it was proved wrong again tonight.  Only you would try to argue otherwise.  

What you claimed is false.   Arguing otherwise is a waste of time.  But, be my guest!  

The top is a graph of all of Mahomes' dropbacks on shotgun pass attempts tonight.

The bottom is a graph of all of Brady's dropbacks on shotgun pass attempts tonight.

Red = complete; white = incomplete.

Think that tells the story.

EtrJwVfWQAMTXTB?format=png&name=900x900

(Graphic courtesy of @StatsbyLopez)

Sum of Mahomes distance traveled: 468 yards

Sum of Brady distance traveled: 37 yards

haha

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Don’t do it man. Ppl use Tom Brady who is obviously the greatest player the NFL has piece to argue. It’s clear the game is changing and other than the GOAT, QBs who can move and buy time are necessary 

Andy Reid should have known better to move three OL around to compensate for one player.  What was he and the OL coach thinking.  Also Mahommes will have a short career.  He loves to run around and while it's fun to watch he is going to get killed.    I will take a drop back QB all day every day.  Give them a OL and watch them go to work.  I'll pass on the flavor of the week.  

One thing other takeaway I would point out is that Tampa was aggressive in making short term upgrades with guys like Fournette, Gronk and Brown even though two of these guys (AB and Fournette) were questionable locker room fits at best.

Clearly, they were thinking SB or bust when they signed an older QB and not content to just make the playoffs. 

One has to ask how come Colts didnt employ similar thinking when they signed a 38 year old Rivers.

45 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The old saying holds true. Defense wins championships. Bucs defensive game plan worked to perfection. Double team and play physical with their WRs and David/White holding Kelce in check. Pressure pressure pressure.

This.

Mahomes had a hard time getting passes off all night.  Pressure up front was great, coverage was even better.

All the headlines will be about Brady.  He played a fine game.  So did Gronk.  But Todd Bowles’ defense won this game.  They were phenomenal.

18 minutes ago, SR711 said:

One thing other takeaway I would point out is that Tampa was aggressive in making short term upgrades with guys like Fournette, Gronk and Brown even though two of these guys (AB and Fournette) were questionable locker room fits at best.

Clearly, they were thinking SB or bust when they signed an older QB and not content to just make the playoffs. 

One has to ask how come Colts didnt employ similar thinking when they signed a 38 year old Rivers.

Because we're both building for the future and trying to win now.

If that results in being stuck in neutral, we won't know until JB is under center again... lol

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

One thing which goes unspoken is that 3 of the 4 coordinators on both sides of the ball are African American.  Demonstrating that if given the opportunity, African American coaches can perform at high levels. Byron Leftwich, and Todd Bowles of Tampa Bay. Eric Bieniemy of Kansas City respectively.

What are you talking about? I don’t think Ballard cares about coaches right now he cares more about players!

I think the game shows the importance of a good O-line. That being said I think, the Colts need to leave Q at guard and get a tackle. The experimenting of moving guys around backfired for KC. I know he's good, but I'd hate to see Q moved to tackle and it backfire. Go Get Castanzo's replacement.  Go Get a edge rusher or 2 another Wr and QB,  who knows there.

8 minutes ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

I think the game shows the importance of a good O-line. That being said I think, the Colts need to leave Q at guard and get a tackle. The experimenting of moving guys around backfired for KC. I know he's good, but I'd hate to see Q moved to tackle and it backfire. Go Get Castanzo's replacement.  Go Get a edge rusher or 2 another Wr and QB,  who knows there.

Moving Q to T and Pinter to LG atleast gives us time to figure out other things like QB and edge. We still need depth sure, but we address that in later rounds.

My takeaways are this Brady is the GOAT and Mahomes isn't even on Peyton's level. Brady and Peyton are easily the 2 best QB's of the last 20 years and the media can spin it anyway they want but they will look foolish if they think otherwise. Brady 7 SB wins/3 League MVP's, Peyton 2 SB wins/5 League MVP's. End of story! Mahomes blah blah blah, Rodgers blah blah blah, Brees blah blah blahMichael Jordan Reaction GIF

Talent is talent, if your elite at something, you ride it until the wheels fall off!

All sorts of QBs have won the super bowel, and they will continue to!

Media put so much emphasis on this and that, put your best squad out there and play the darn game!

nothing but love folks, we all get caught up in the minutiae from time to time.

❤️ 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I want Todd Bowles' defense, and we're not good enough at corner or edge to employ that defense at this time.

Man it’s hard to keep a squad like that together, your right there, they looked unstoppable!

I wonder how much money is tied up in their defence?!

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Moving Q to T and Pinter to LG atleast gives us time to figure out other things like QB and edge. We still need depth sure, but we address that in later rounds.

I think this should be a last resort kind of option.  We might well be giving up the best LG in the game and gaining an apprentice LT playing out of position in one personnel move.

I don’t know what kind of LT Nelson would make.  He’s so good at what he does that a lot of people assume he’d be just as good at any spot on the OL.  But I wouldn’t be so quick to make that assumption.  LT and LG are two very different positions.

Yeah, I know he played some there this year and did well enough.  But notice too that they brought in Veldheer out of retirement to finish the season.

We need a regular starting LT.  And we need him week 1.

If the SB taught us anything, it taught us just the opposite of what you said.  Bring on Mac Jones or Kyle Trask, but only if they have sufficient brains. 

The SB also taught us, you need LBers and back seven who can cover zones, and its best to go into a game without your starting LT injured.

The SB taught me that Reich has one of the best offensive philosophies for winning a championship.  Which can be singularly defined as "don't give up the ball".  Don't score in 5 plays, go for it on 4th and 2.  Be very aggressive about making 7 yard plays, one after another.  Don't throw interceptions.  Fields, Lance, Wilson?....yuck.

And make the other team take a long time to score.  If they are not used to doing it, they will likely have an errant throw or that penalty that stalls a drive.  On offense, we eat clock and make them eat clock, so it keeps their number of possessions in a game to a level way lower than they're used to.  

Biggest takeaways for me were:

1. Build your team inside out with strength in the trenches on OL and DL. Brady's OL looked like a fort for the most part and his DL wreaked havoc all day.

2. Assemble as much talent at all levels as possible till the right QB comes along that can put you over the hump, much like the Chiefs saw last year, like the Seahawks saw several years ago, like the Bills and Browns are seeing incrementally.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Biggest takeaways for me were:

1. Build your team inside out with strength in the trenches on OL and DL. Brady's OL looked like a fort for the most part and his DL wreaked havoc all day.

2. Assemble as much talent at all levels as possible till the right QB comes along that can put you over the hump, much like the Chiefs saw last year, like the Seahawks saw several years ago, like the Bills and Browns are seeing incrementally.

Add KC to that list as well. Maybe not last night, but they were solidly built before Mahomes. Really allowed him to succeed. This is why I think we ride a rookie QB. I think we’re there. I mean we’ve taken on and taken down some real good teams with our D. Our OL is solid, our DL needs just a bit more help. But I think we’re built in that mindset anyway

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:
11 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

It tells me the opposite.  Have a statue at QB that knows how to run a balanced offense, or teaches the HC and OC what a balanced offense looks like midseason.  We have that HC and OC, so its time to get Jones or Trask.....and avoid Fields, Wilson, or Lance.

I would say that you don’t limit any player. With a great OLine you hope that even a mobile guy doesn’t have to use it much. Find the best pure passer and protect them. 

Archived