Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superbowl - takeaways

Rackeen305

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I would say that you don’t limit any player. With a great OLine you hope that even a mobile guy doesn’t have to use it much. Find the best pure passer and protect them. 

Sure, but the incremental increse in capital it takes to get the QB who can do it all takes away from getting that incrementally better olineman or ILB.  I'll take the statue with better olineman and ILBs as a way to win footnall games.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two things that really stood out to me:

1) Pass rush can dominate an entire game

2) A great QB can't outplay a bad line. The Chiefs o-line reminded me of the Broncos o-line in Super Bowl XLVIII.  I'm sure people are going to knock Mahomes just like they did Manning, but the reality is that if your o-line is a that bad, even the greatest QBs can't overcome that. 

So for the Colts, I hope we continue to understand how important the d-line is and spent a lot of time and effort this year trying to get depth for the o-line.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sure, but the incremental increse in capital it takes to get the QB who can do it all takes away from getting that incrementally better olineman or ILB.  I'll take the statue with better olineman and ILBs as a way to win footnall games.

I don’t disagree with you but I am just saying I would not limit anyone. I have mentioned in here already I think Mac Jones is the best Alabama QB to come out under Saban. 

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I don’t disagree with you but I am just saying I would not limit anyone. I have mentioned in here already I think Mac Jones is the best Alabama QB to come out under Saban. 

Best college QB or best NFL prospect?

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I know.  I'm making the distinction between Mac Jones, or Jacob Eason for that matter, and Mahomes or Watson or Wilson or Fields.  

Jones/Eason are not really statues, but they are compared to the other guys.  They are 22 year old kids that are nimble enough to get 5 yards for a first down if they need to.  Brady and Rivers are exceptions because they are old.  If Jones/Eason are around until they are 40, whatever mobility they start their careers with is just fine.

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Half time show was awful. I could hardly hear the singer, but maybe that was on purpose. Incredible choregraphed light show, but his singing talent was did not inspire me at all and I wonder why he got the gig. 

If that is SB entertainment, it failed on me big time. It made me want to play some Slayer....and I don't even listen to heavy metal. 

It's obvious my era is over, and that is kinda sad. 

"The Weekend" must have a significant other who works for the NFL marketing apparatus.

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

"The Weekend" must have a significant other who works for the NFL marketing apparatus.

Yeah. Studio creations, certain artists are but then you have rehearsals for this reason, to gauge level contrasts between music and the voice of the singer. Acoustics of the stadium play a part for the sound to get farther and that unfortunately determines the levels for the music which end up drowning the singer's voice.

At my church, the base levels are so high that you will go deaf if you sit in the first few rows, it is a big church. I never sit in the front set of rows (it is a big church with about 1500 capacity each service though operating at 25% now). I know lots of senior folks go back in as the fast songs in the music are done in the beginning to avoid the serious base, it can be a turn off for a lot. However, the head pastor gives the production folks the autonomy to make decisions so that he does not come off as micro managing, it is what it is. :) 

12 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I know CB is watching. And he's looking at the competition. Not interested in Divisional Banners, first round playoff exits, etc. He's looking at key players at key positions. And how the opposing team is made up.

QB Play: You have to have a QB that can at a minimum scramble. Once Defenses blitz and create pressure, resulting in the QB having to step up or throw off schedule, you have to be able to buy time. If not, bad results.

By the end of the 3rd Quarter, one thing I noticed that is strikingly different from the Colts team (Both KC and TB considered), there hasn't been any bad coaching calls, timeouts, or just overall game management. Sure, one team's game plan is going to beat another team's game plan, but bonehead calls, formations and most importantly BAD COACHING DECISIONS is not apparent.

Special Teams: You have to have solid Punting and Kicking. KC punter has been atrocious. Their Kicker has been solid.

Oline: You always need quality backup olinemen. KC came into the game down 2 starters (LT, and RG). This is definitely revealing itself as a weakness as the game continues into the 4th quarter. TB on the other hand has ex Colt Joe Haeg playing in his first Superbowl. TB's oline has been able to contain KC's Chris Jones while still creating holes for the running back (USC's Ronald Jones, and Leonard Fornette of LSU).

Defense: Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. TB has been creating havoc against KC's oline. Mahomes has been off scheduled, and throwing off balance all game. GREAT job by Todd Bowles, and TB's front 7. Especially Shaq Barrett, JPP, and Suh.

RB: Both team are having excellent RB play. 

WR/TE: Hello and Congratulations to Antonio Brown of Miami, FL. He's had a long road and has performed well with at least 1 TD. Gronk has 2 TDs and is a mis-match for KCs defense. 

Score 31-9 4th Quarter 8:20, TB driving with a 3 and out. One thing I've noticed is that Mahomes is on the sidelines and KCs defense has been terrible. The honey badger has been rattled by the great Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich's offense. All in all, TB's coaching staff Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich and Todd Bowles out game planned Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 

If there is one thing to take away from the Superbowl where the Colts can learn from is, no matter who the Colts pick up in the Draft or Free Agency, you cannot compound holes/ bad situations with erratic coaching. Once again, one team's game plan will beat another team's game plan but untimely timeouts, untimely penalties, will kill your scoring drives. No matter who the QB is. And the Colts didn't even have Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady to bail them out of bad situations. Oh and the halftime show was Great by The Weeknd.

The one take away. The ability of the defensive coordinator being flexible in using different schemes. The defence we run, I  feel, doesnt  allow for a lot of flexibility based on personnel

12 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

He was probably the most successful pop artist of the year, slim pickings though

Blinding lights was the most played song

I’m just happy Belichick was sitting at home watching the QB he drove out of town win without him. The hoodie is obviously good but this ends the discussion of who was more important. Brady is the GOAT and I’m happy he just got his 7th championship.  We are witnessing something that will probably never be duplicated.  I can appreciate this on a historic level before I go back to hating that pretty boy pansy in a day or two. 

18 minutes ago, The Fish said:

All of this talk about trenches and no one is noting that you've got 2 of the 3 most lauded QB's in the game playing last night.

IF you don't have a QB, having the trenches right get's you an average Chicago Bears season.

When did the Chicago Bears become a Top 10 OL? They couldn't run block for most of the year till the end of the year when they played not so stellar teams. If anything, I would have to say the Steelers offense did a bang up job despite their OL deficiencies.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When did the Chicago Bears become a Top 10 OL? They couldn't run block for most of the year till the end of the year when they played not so stellar teams. If anything, I would have to say the Steelers offense did a bang up job despite their OL deficiencies.

Fill in the blank with the more appropriate example from this past year if that makes the primary point more clear. Historically the Bears can run and stop the run and go 7-9 to 9-7 often enough, because having a QB is a bit more important than the trenches.. 

Remember when Joe Haeg wasn't really up to snuff for Indy.. 

Top picks really don't have to go to O line men if the scouting department is doing their job, but I digress (just saw a mock of us taking another O linmen in the first- a good way to do nothing over the long haul).

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Fill in the blank with the more appropriate example from this past year if that makes the primary point more clear. Historically the Bears can run and stop the run and go 7-9 to 9-7 often enough, because having a QB is a bit more important than the trenches.. 

Top picks really don't have to go to O line men if the scouting department is doing their job, but I digress (just saw a mock of us taking another O linmen in the first- a good way to do nothing over the long haul).

Why does discussing one aspect have to come at the exclusion of the other?

In this case, Mahomes is the most dynamic QB in the game, and he was shut down like he's never been before because Tampa's defensive front dominated KC's OL. Mahomes' toe might have slowed him down some, but he escaped and extended plenty throughout the game, just couldn't get his feet set without getting blasted.

The Bucs did to the Chiefs what the 2007 Giants did to the Pats. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

In this case, Mahomes is the most dynamic QB in the game, and he was shut down like he's never been before because Tampa's defensive front dominated KC's OL. Mahomes' toe might have slowed him down some, but he escaped and extended plenty throughout the game, just couldn't get his feet set without getting blasted.

The Bucs did to the Chiefs what the 2007 Giants did to the Pats. 

The did to the Chiefs what the pats used to do to us.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not totally sure what this is directly pertaining to in my post, but I'm gonna take a stab. The Chiefs were playing in the Super Bowl- they haven't lost in basically 2 years until injuries caught up to them yesterday. That game we saw yesterday wasn't the result of a design flaw in the Chiefs roster.

I suspect that they're off and running again next year, when Schwartz and Fisher and healthy again, in fact we know they are.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This 

Tampa has an all-time great, clutch, big game QB, consistent pressure from the D-Line, defenders that blanket receivers, explosive wide receivers, and an unstoppable tight end.

The Colts may have the same blueprint as Tampa, but Colts are missing some key building supplies. 

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If Brady didn't have that defensive support and had to get in shootouts like Stafford or Brees have had to most of the time in their careers, he would have fewer chances of winning.

Just because the QB is the most important position, it does not help gloss over the fact that there needs to be talent at several levels for a SB winning team, including the trenches. That is why teams like the Seahawks, Chiefs etc. have won SBs (talking non-Brady teams), they stockpile talent at every level till they get the right QB. 

Patriots consistently drafted OL and DL in their top 2 rounds during their best years:

2001 - Seymour, Matt Light (1 and 2)

2003 - Ty Warren (1)

2004 - Vince Wilfork (1)

2005 - Logan Mankins (1)

Then, once the OL players were retained and were stable in their system, they replenished again in 2011 (Solder), 2012 (Chandler Jones) etc., it goes in cycles. 

I understand you are frustrated we don't have a plan in place for the QB position yet but guys like Brady, Manning don't grow on trees or become easily available. For every Mahomes or Allen, there is a QB underachieving from the draft in a mediocre fashion. If we cannot hit on the QB perfectly, we have to make sure we have talent all around to take a good QB and make him very good. 

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Tampa has an all-time great, clutch, big game QB, consistent pressure from the D-Line, defenders that blanket receivers, explosive wide receivers, and an unstoppable tight end.

The Colts may have the same blueprint as Tampa, but Colts are missing some key building supplies. 

I'd suggest they're missing most of that list tbh.

QB and Secondary for sure. TE? Not bad here, but not dominate, at all. Explosive WR's? We've got guys who are supposed to be good in the future is what I'm gathering, and I think they will be.

Our D line has Buckner. That's good. He makes other guys better. Not sure though that when a guy like Suh could just be had, that trading a first to do that was really the best long term plan, but we'll see.

Ha, crap. Ballard has more work cut out for him than you'd normally project for a playoff squad. I guess this is why the turnover rate is so high for playoff participants. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Brady didn't have that defensive support and had to get in shootouts like Stafford or Brees have had to most of the time in their careers, he would have fewer chances of winning.

Just because the QB is the most important position, it does not help gloss over the fact that there needs to be talent at several levels for a SB winning team, including the trenches. That is why teams like the Seahawks, Chiefs etc. have won SBs (talking non-Brady teams), they stockpile talent at every level till they get the right QB. 

Patriots consistently drafted OL and DL in their top 2 rounds during their best years:

2001 - Seymour, Matt Light (1 and 2)

2003 - Ty Warren (1)

2004 - Vince Wilfork (1)

2005 - Logan Mankins (1)

Then, once the OL players were retained and were stable in their system, they replenished again in 2011 (Solder), 2012 (Chandler Jones) etc., it goes in cycles. 

I understand you are frustrated we don't have a plan in place for the QB position yet but guys like Brady, Manning don't grow on trees or become easily available. For every Mahomes or Allen, there is a QB underachieving from the draft in a mediocre fashion. If we cannot hit on the QB perfectly, we have to make sure we have talent all around to take a good QB and make him very good. 

I'm not so much frustrated, as I'm just looking at it. Ballard built a thing that's going to time out on contracts for rookies without the part of the machine in place that scores points. 

How'd I work myself into this lather this morning.. lol

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not so much frustrated, as I'm just looking at it. Ballard built a thing that's going to time out on contracts for rookies without the part of the machine in place that scores points. 

Right now, QB and LT, high value positions, we don't have an answer right now. If we begin free agency signing Trent Williams or Villanueva for LT, all of a sudden, we have fewer high value positions to fill holes at. My fear is that our unrealistic expectations from Rivers is going to give us a reality shock when we have to hit a slight re-set button with a FA or drafted QB. The least Ballard has to do is re-sign the homegrown talent at this point with all his investment poured into it.

Just have to re-set our realistic expectations at this point, I am. :) 

5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

yes i agree, and tb filled their roster with aging playmakers that nobody wanted, ballard needs to take notice, they didnt build that team with just new draft picks

If Ballard has to pick and choose to overpay for 1 position in some kind of bidding war created, I'd rather it be QB or LT. That way, he will have money to re-sign all of Leonard, Nelson and Braden Smith. It is around the corner, and has to be on his mind.

Plus, you have to understand that when Peyton went to the Broncos, guys like Sanders, Talib, Ware, T J Ward etc. signed there because of Peyton. That is why AB, Gronk and Fournette came to the Bucs, because of Brady.

My takeaway is that it was the worst Superbowl I could recall.

Not a competitive game.   

Poor officiating.

I had no idea who the halftime act was.

The commercials were very disappointing.  Several of them even tried to pretend to want unity.   Keep the politics out of my ball game please.  

That's just me though, not making a blanket statement for everyone.  

12 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I know CB is watching. And he's looking at the competition. Not interested in Divisional Banners, first round playoff exits, etc. He's looking at key players at key positions. And how the opposing team is made up.

QB Play: You have to have a QB that can at a minimum scramble. Once Defenses blitz and create pressure, resulting in the QB having to step up or throw off schedule, you have to be able to buy time. If not, bad results.

By the end of the 3rd Quarter, one thing I noticed that is strikingly different from the Colts team (Both KC and TB considered), there hasn't been any bad coaching calls, timeouts, or just overall game management. Sure, one team's game plan is going to beat another team's game plan, but bonehead calls, formations and most importantly BAD COACHING DECISIONS is not apparent.

Special Teams: You have to have solid Punting and Kicking. KC punter has been atrocious. Their Kicker has been solid.

Oline: You always need quality backup olinemen. KC came into the game down 2 starters (LT, and RG). This is definitely revealing itself as a weakness as the game continues into the 4th quarter. TB on the other hand has ex Colt Joe Haeg playing in his first Superbowl. TB's oline has been able to contain KC's Chris Jones while still creating holes for the running back (USC's Ronald Jones, and Leonard Fornette of LSU).

Defense: Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. TB has been creating havoc against KC's oline. Mahomes has been off scheduled, and throwing off balance all game. GREAT job by Todd Bowles, and TB's front 7. Especially Shaq Barrett, JPP, and Suh.

RB: Both team are having excellent RB play. 

WR/TE: Hello and Congratulations to Antonio Brown of Miami, FL. He's had a long road and has performed well with at least 1 TD. Gronk has 2 TDs and is a mis-match for KCs defense. 

Score 31-9 4th Quarter 8:20, TB driving with a 3 and out. One thing I've noticed is that Mahomes is on the sidelines and KCs defense has been terrible. The honey badger has been rattled by the great Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich's offense. All in all, TB's coaching staff Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich and Todd Bowles out game planned Andy Reid and the Chiefs. 

If there is one thing to take away from the Superbowl where the Colts can learn from is, no matter who the Colts pick up in the Draft or Free Agency, you cannot compound holes/ bad situations with erratic coaching. Once again, one team's game plan will beat another team's game plan but untimely timeouts, untimely penalties, will kill your scoring drives. No matter who the QB is. And the Colts didn't even have Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady to bail them out of bad situations. Oh and the halftime show was Great by The Weeknd.

KC's whole game plan was bad. CEH would come in and rip off a nice play...and then in comes Darrell Williams. They did little to account for the OL issues as well.

And Reid calling TOs in the final minute of the 1st half was beyond dumb. He stopped the clock 2x for Brady on two short plays on the far side of the field. And why did he do it? To get the ball back with probably :30 left and no TOs...for his team that had only scored 6 points? They should have been happy as hell to go into half only down 14-6...getting the ball back. 

Between that and the bogus flags from that drive (and the previous drive)...that game was over if they didn't score a TD on the first drive of the 2nd half. Once up by multiple scores...TB's great DL was just able to tee off on KC's OL with 4 rushers...which allowed to have extra guys in coverage.

Great game by TB (both of them)...but a terrible watch for an unbiased fan.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m just happy Belichick was sitting at home watching the QB he drove out of town win without him. The hoodie is obviously good but this ends the discussion of who was more important. Brady is the GOAT and I’m happy he just got his 7th championship.  We are witnessing something that will probably never be duplicated.  I can appreciate this on a historic level before I go back to hating that pretty boy pansy in a day or two. 

yes it seems belichick was not the reason they won, but it was brady making good qb decisions

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not a competitive game.   

Poor officiating.

The commercials were very disappointing.  Several of them even tried to pretend to want unity.   Keep the politics out of my ball game please.  

my feelings exactly

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Ballard has to pick and choose to overpay for 1 position in some kind of bidding war created, I'd rather it be QB or LT. That way, he will have money to re-sign all of Leonard, Nelson and Braden Smith. It is around the corner, and has to be on his mind.

Plus, you have to understand that when Peyton went to the Broncos, guys like Sanders, Talib, Ware, T J Ward etc. signed there because of Peyton. That is why AB, Gronk and Fournette came to the Bucs, because of Brady.

well said

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not a competitive game.   

Poor officiating.

Agree...just an awful watch all around. Terrible product...and inevitable TB slob fest (deserved...but still ugh). I didn't care who won...but I was very disappointed that this was the end of the season.

The KC OL/TB DL was a huge part...but as an unbiased fan...the officiating was terrible. Just because the refs got bailed out in the 2nd half (by TB winning by a lot)...doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to account. They definitely allowed 11-14 points to score that most likely wouldn't have scored. And that allowed TB to go up by multiple scores...where the game script completely favored TB against KC's battered OL.

I would love to see the All 22 to see:

- Some of those plays where Mahomes wouldn't throw the ball. I have never seen him play like that. And it wasn't the toe injury...because he ran nearly 500 yards in scramble drills.

- Would love to see if the KC OL was just standing up and letting guys through...because it looked like that at times in the 2nd half.

- If TB's DBs were getting away with being physical. Considering they were all over every pass...I am guessing they were given a lot more rope.

TB was definitely the better team...but it should have been a much closer game...oh well.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not a competitive game.   

Poor officiating.

I thought watching Brady and the Rams play footsies a few years ago was pretty darn boring. 

This one had at least some drama because the Chiefs could have hit a few plays (which they always do, except yesterday) and it's a comeback. And when they didn't it was just totally surprising. 

That Rams Pats game had all of the charm of a bad week 4 MNF football game.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It hasn't been good the past two years. But their pass blocking was top 10 in 2018. They won 13 games that year...and had no chance in the playoffs.

I didn't think the officiating was that bad, there were only two questionable calls I thought, 1. being the Honey Badger PI which should of been Illegal contact, but still a penalty. 2. the PI on Mike Evans before the end of the half which I understand why the ref threw it, from his perspective he saw a defender fall and take out Evans legs stopping him from having a chance at the ball. 

Chiefs CBs were grabby all game, heck Romo even showed replays of multiple defensive holdings that weren't called on the chiefs. Frankly I think the Chiefs were overconfident and didn't prepare enough on defense.

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not totally sure what this is directly pertaining to in my post, but I'm gonna take a stab. The Chiefs were playing in the Super Bowl- they haven't lost in basically 2 years until injuries caught up to them yesterday. That game we saw yesterday wasn't the result of a design flaw in the Chiefs roster.

I suspect that they're off and running again next year, when Schwartz and Fisher and healthy again, in fact we know they are.

Agree. I am sure a narrative that marginalizes the QB position will come out of this. Or at the very least...the "blueprint" for beating KC. To your point...these teams actually played earlier in the season...and KC (with a healthy OL) was up 27-10 early into the 3rd quarter. This game completely played into TB's favor...and to their credit...they took advantage.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

You might have missed it, but Andrew Luck retired out of nowhere a couple seasons ago.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

That's because I quoted the wrong post... I was responding to your other post about two of the top lauded QBs, but we're talking about the trenches.

And I'm thinking that having good QB play is essential, but if your team gets dominated in the trenches, you're going to have a problem, even if you have great QB play. (Didn't help that the Chiefs receivers were unable to catch any of those crazy throws that Mahomes somehow was able to put in their hands...)

I don't think the Chiefs have a flawed roster or a flawed approach. Like you said, their OL is beat up. But I think they were expecting a bit more from their own defensive front (pass rush and run defense), and fewer penalties from their secondary. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

You might have missed it, but Andrew Luck retired out of nowhere a couple seasons ago.

Exactly. We knew Castonzo was going to retire young, but his retirement hurts too. 

Luck and Castonzo could easily be playing for another 3-4 years if they wanted. It is a huge setback at arguably two most important positions on offense. 

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Not sure why I'm getting the tone, but yeah I missed that?...

I guess I'm overly snarky this morning. My bad, just had some pent up sarcasm I guess.

Just saying that if the roster times out on rookie contracts and we don't have a QB, it's mostly because Ballard's team building has been undermined severely by losing the franchise QB with no warning. He spent at least $20m extra in cap space over the last couple seasons to stabilize the QB spot, and didn't get anywhere near Luck's level of playmaking. And that $20m might have been useful for a playmaker at another position.

Archived